WOOOOOO! Forum

gmail

Silver

WOOOOOO!

Post by gmail » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:40 pm

DELETED
Last edited by gmail on Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:06 pm

Ok, I just decided to postpone law school until the fall of 2009. I need another year to travel the world and fix up my French. I was thinking of appliyng and then deferring, but the fact that I'm already a bit behind on the cycle bothers me, and I'm hoping that my so so GPA will mean a hair less with an extra year separating me and my undergrad years. I'm still taking the LSAT in December though, so I haven't completely foresworn the jungle juice. So I guess this will be my LSAT blog.

My cold diagnostic, back in late September, was 158 and since then I've been studying like mad. I took a second diag (offered free through Kaplan) and ended up with a 168, though the test was definitely not authentic. RC is my clear strength, LR and LG are my weaknesses. The end goal is to attain a ridiculously high LSAT score that allows access to the many options my GPA denies to me.
Last edited by gmail on Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:49 pm

Fuck yeah motherfucker... 176 on a practice. It felt so right. Issues that could've given me a higher score:

0) I had seen a few questions before which didn't affect me much, but I had seen one RC passage before and I was able to skim through it with ease due to my sick ass memory. Then again, it was the last of the section and I had ample time to complete it anyway. And the first time I encountered it, I had no problems anyway. Plus it was a humanities one which I always rock. (Science, not so much)

1) it was a preptest so no experimental = less fatigue

2) the testing environment (public library) was neither deathly quiet nor full of stressed out 20-somethings like the LSAT, so it was nice

3) I began at 10 not 9 in the morning

4) I didn't transfer my answers, just bubbled on the test

5) I had a big table, not a cramped school desk

but thats about it. things that could've hurt me a bit

1) I had no water and I refrained from using the facilities the entire time

2) There was one old guy breathing ridiculously loud a couple stacks over. The entire time. I blocked it out after awhile.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:13 pm

motherfucker...

last two practice tests have been 169 and 167. I need to do better.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:41 pm

Well I think I did well enough on the Dec LSAT. I'm predicting a 173 with it falling somewhere between 170 and 175.

In other news, I've decided to finalize my plans to postpone law school for at least one more year (to 2009). There is simply too much on my plate at this point to take on applications, and I'm not comfortable commiting myself to a career. Not when I still have things to learn and places to see. No point in getting in and deferring when I can apply in Sept of 2008 and have a much better shot at getting in at my reaches. I saved what I have so far of my PS and I refuse to look at it again for another nine months. It's time to ween myself off of TLS and say goodbye for now. Goodbye for now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:05 pm

Last edited by gmail on Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:22 am

Since the invention of the camera, there have probably been billions of pictures taken of cats. While searching through google images, looking into the eyes of all these cats and kittens, I came to a realization: never, not once, in all of time has a feline even begun to understand what its owner was doing when snapping a picture. All around the world at any given moment there are undoubtedly several cats recovering from a brief bright flash of white light, and they're all thinking (or maybe not) "WHAT THE FUCK?"

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:25 pm

Out go the apps. I decided to apply this cycle, for no real reason other than I can.

So far I GTown and Columbia have been sent, with Michigan and NYU pending a few essays. Instead of blanketing a ton of schools with apps, I decided to keep the pool small and focus very hard on each one (with extra LORs, optional essays, general love...). No sense applying to schools I wouldn't love to attend, you know?

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:19 pm

Okay, I applied to Chicago just now. I looked up a bit more info about Hyde Park and it doesn't seem that bad. Plus, rents are cheap and the academic environment is straight-up ill. I don't mind that it's a bit far away from the going-out areas because I am an adherent to the "it's the people, not the place, that matters" philosophy. UChicago admissions committee: thank you for making your application refreshingly straight-forward.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:06 pm

Done with apps. Feels really ridiculously good. Even better than after the LSAT. I think I might even go out to the local bar and consume some gin and tonics with friends to celebrate!

I applied to

Michigan
Columbia
Georgetown
and
Chicago

Columbia qualifies as a reach. Chicago too, most likely. Michigan will be tough, a likely waitlist. Georgetown is not guaranteed but I think I have a good chance. No safeties.

If I don't like the result of this cycle, I can always apply early next cycle which wouldn't bother me one bit. Whew.

gmail

Silver

Re: WOOOOOO!

Post by gmail » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:06 pm

Just applied to NYU. I came to the conclusion, while walking to the post office, that it would be a great place to spend the next three years of my life. I wish I could write all the glorious essays necessary for their scholarships but I think it would be all for naught considering I am on their academic borderline.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:35 pm

The man on my right asked where I was from. “America,” I said.

The room got quieter. Everyone seemed to be looking my way. Then the man clapped my shoulder and smiled.

“Our governments are bad,” he said. “But the people are good.”
And the travel bug bites. From the NY Times Travel section on a trip to Esfahan in Iran.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:25 pm

One thing I like about TLS is knowing how I am never going to meet any of you in real life. After I get into a school and defer enrollment, I'll leave the board and go wander the world for a year or two. Cycle after cycle of people will go through the same 'LSAT forum' to 'Law School Apps forum' to 'Choosing a School forum' process. At the end, they'll leave to start law school and fade out of TLS. Cause I mean, once you're enrolled, TLS is of very little use. So even though my 1L class will surely be inundated with TLS folk, I won't know them. I'll be happily oblivious. I'm trying to think of a metaphor from a movie, but all I can think of is the end of 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' and 'A Very Long Engagement.'

And all the people who seem cool enough to hang out with now-- well they'll all be 2Ls when I enter law school. You won't know me and you'll have no incentive to know me. I'll keep my anonymity and pretend to not know about TLS should the topic come up. I might recognize you though, and remember you as your username/avatar/lsat. I like that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:25 pm

Chances of where Gmail will be in the Fall of 2009

Georgetown: 66%
Columbia: 10%
NYU: 3%
Michigan: 1%
Chicago: 0%
Doing something cooler than law school: 20%