Britt is thisclose to being a 2L! Forum

britt2010

New

Britt is thisclose to being a 2L!

Post by britt2010 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:17 am

Thanks, Timbaland, for the intro.

So many new members since I've left. Good. Good to see the LSAT anaconda once again slowly squeezing the life out of young, law school-hopeful Moglis. Yessssss...

I applied in the fall of 2006 for the 2007 cycle. I've selected a school, paid my deposits, and now I'm gearing up for classes to begin.

Instead of travelling, recharging my batteries, or sitting around consuming Cheetos, I decided (bravely) to spend my summer working in a law firm as changeling "summer associate."

It has been a whirlwind of a summer, let me tell you. The program that so graciously placed me in this position also arranges quite a few summer events with all of the hot-shot Manhattan firms: Cravath, Paul Weiss, Wachtell, Sullivan & Cromwell, Cleary Gottlieb and Kramer Levin have been just a few of the usual suspects.

With that said, I've met quite a few people in varying positions within the legal arena. Everyone, of course, has had some advice to give. I'd like to pass along a few things for those of you who are curious, know but aren't sure, and are in the dark (like I was) about The Next Step:

1. The Job
You must, without a doubt, gun your first semester and year. When interviewing for the summer after your 2L takes place, you haven't begun your 2L year. 1L grades are all that the prospective employer will see and are therefore very important.

2. The Grades.
Want to be at a top NYC firm? 3.5. 3.4, 3.5 is where you need to be. I can't count on my many mutant fingers how many times I've heard a hiring partner admit that "even if the interview is amazing, if I look at the grades and the person doesn't meet the cutoff, that's it. Can't take them." Another surprising thing I've heard is that while it's nice to see membership with an organization, these hiring people don't care to see a résumé of activities. Strange as it sounds, it's about the meat. The grades. 50 extra curriculars will not balance out a 2.9.

3. Law Review
Get the grades and get on it. Period. If you don't get the grades, your school most likely will have a write-on competition after 1L. Stay the extra time and compete to be on it. Period 2.0.

4. 1L Summer
It's typically difficult to get a 1L summer job, but it's possible. Skadden, for instance, does indeed hire 1Ls. Try judicial clerking if at all interested in litigation, or consider working for a court abroad. Always neat idea.

5. Read Getting to Maybe.
Test taking is a lot different than UG test taking. I've heard advice that sounds nearly identical to the writing in this book.

6. Remember That There's No One Way To Do It
Everyone will try to tell you a particular way to approach your studying. I particular like the idea of approaching studies like a job. No matter what, dedicate 9-5 to reading/outlining/briefing cases. I dunno. Just an idea.

7. Briefs vs. Case Briefs (Because I Did Not Know)
A legal brief is, from my very basic understanding, the next step after the memo-data collection step. It's a persuasive argument written based off of the research. Briefing a case simply means writing down the important aspects of a case: Issue, Facts, Relevant Law, Discussion, Conclusion (there is probably more--you get the idea).

I think that's enough for now. I sort of just wanted to write this all down.
Last edited by britt2010 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 22 times in total.

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:30 pm

Truth and Lies:

"Law school is litigation-skewed."

True. Well, I haven't been yet, but from what I gather this summer, it's geared towards 'gation. The case law, the briefs, the research and writing--all of that is litigation prep.

"You need to have a business/finance/accounting background to do corporate"

False. Corporate is increasingly sexy. You'd be surprised how little some people knew before heading into corporate. It's much quicker, much more mercurial, and definitely does not require the research/reading that litigation does.

The word of Jesus: "Tax Law is boring."

Amen.

"All big firms are the same: horrible hours, no lifestyles."

False. It's amazing how you can start to pick up on what a firm is like based on their presentations and conversations with partners and associates. When you're leaving a reception and the prematurely-balding associates are going up on the elevator instead of down--at 9:30 at night--that is not a good sign. The firm I'm at, for example, matches pay with some of the brand-name brand names, but people here have a life. Yes, there are people staying late, but I've found that there are very, very few staying at 10 or so (okay, I've done it) unless they're closing a deal.

"Choosing a law firm is like Hogwarts and Harry Potter."

Okay, so no one says this save me, but it's so true. This goes with my previous comment. Some people are name-brand people. You know who you are; you chose a school with a scary reputation knowing that you're a private, determined gunner who doesn't give a foob. If you're blind to chilly atmospheres and think that ladders are for climbing, then places like *&*, C**v*th, and others are for you. Boutiques are going wayward as a shift to general practice dominates. Do you want to work at the créme for 2 years and lateral? Or do you think you'll stay there? These things must be considered; once you're really exposed, it's funny how *some* of the top firms don't look so sexy.

"Law and business go hand-in-hand."

Damn right they do. I'm being sucked over to the Dark Side of Finance everyday. WSJ has become my favorite monogram. I'll be quick to point out, though, that the public/private equity buyouts and takeovers can only last so long; the problem with banking and finance is that the little lawyers are always there to help you with your deals and then one day--oh no--help you with restructuring (aka bankruptcy).

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:01 am

Sad little pangs every few minutes as I am reminded of the way that J.I. lived the last four years of his life.

I don't know how many people from my large high school class remember J.I. He was softspoken, rather short, and was able to blend into the crowd. He wasn't ever at a party that I can remember, never was involved with childish high school antics and drama, and didn't date anyone in our class.

He was painfully shy, sweet, and friendly. He was a volunteer firefighter and I remember how it gave him a sense of...well, he held his head higher when he wore the volunteer shirt.

I found out this weekend that J.I. passed away. I couldn't imagine how he had died--I imagined a car accident--but then I learned that after graduation he enrolled in the Marines. Throughout basic training he complained frequently of chest pains, and during one of the water exercises his heart gave out, leaving him lifeless in a pool of water. He drowned, but was later revived.

J.I. spent four years in a coma because of that accident and last week I believe his parents decided it was time to let go.

My head's been in the clouds for four years. I've fretted about dates, weight, grades, rankings, tuition, rent, cars, boobs, groceries, spring break, and every other banal, mundane topic conceivable. I had no idea that J.I. was stuck in a static crysthalis, preserved like the way he was after we graduated, for all of that time.

I keep coming back to it.

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:47 am

So what kind of things have I done as a pre-law summer associate?

Well, for one, I have eaten. I have eaten until my little belly has become distended with shallots and cheeses and wines and olives and radicchio and everything else imaginable. I have eaten until my smooth thighs have become dimpled reservoirs of fat; until my arms sway gently in the breeze or shake violently at a wave hello; until my clothes give up and split at the seams and until I can't roll over without hearing springs creak and smaller people shriek from fear of imminent death.

But man, was it good. And it was free, so I'm loading up for the cold northern winter I will most certainly face.

I have done hard work. I was afraid that I'd be sent to a closet to label shelves, or mailed off to the mail room to feed envelopes...but not so much. I've done research way over my head, but it worked. I am writing an article which will be published in a law review, which is an honor. I shadowed, listened to conference calls, translated and interpreted for pro bono asylum cases, scanned frustrating articles, worked loosely (didn't do much) with a closing until it got nuts, I sat in on the Grasso oral arguments, worked with legal outreach, and more. What fun!

Amazingly, exposure to the different groups has led me down a different path than I thought otherwise possible.

A tip: There are, indeed, several firms that accept 1Ls. Check out NALP's website for information. After December 1, you can send off transcripts and résumés to the firms. You've got to shoot for a 3.5, though, so don't waste a minute!!!!!

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:44 pm

I went out to lunch with the managing partner at my firm and he asked the four of us if we had any questions about what it's like to manage a firm instead of practice for it. Of course we then said "So, what's it like to manage a firm instead of practice for it?" and he began to explain.

He started talking a lot about salaries and bonuses and all of their intricacies and I felt as if surely he opened the door for salary-based questions, so I asked him how he felt--as a representative of this firm--about the pay race.

Verrrry interesting what he said. You know, you have to consider the fact that if a firm doesn't match, they're losing the talent. Another recent trend (and I say "recent" simply because besides the past two years with their S&C and then Simpson Thacher inspired hikes, there was nothing for seven years) has been for clients to demand more, for less, and so he said that there has been a squeeze from both directions.

You have to look at a lot of these firms, though. The structure of some of the big names is such that is allows for the isosceles-pyramid structure to self-perpetuate. People stay for three years, they pay like they expect you to leave after three years. They can afford to pay a lot at first, because the truth of the matter is you won't be there much longer. In other words, the pay tapers off with longetivity, until, of course, you become partner.

Now, don't get me wrong. There is a trend that took note of the disparity in pay between new hires ($$$$) and more senior associates. It didn't make sense. So firms like Simpson (I think, don't quote me) skewed the salary hike.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you need to determine where you will stay. If you don't plan on staying as an associate, then it doesn't matter. But if you do, look at the 4th, 5th, and 6th year associates. How is it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:50 pm

I recommend:
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/

For up-to-date legal news.

and

http://www.abovethelaw.com

For legal gossip.

On a side note, there is always the ubiquitous "That Summer Associate" who does something stupid, horribly stupid, to tarnish his or her reputation forever.

One year, That Summer Associate got a bit too drunk at a firm yacht outing and, removing her clothes to her bra and skirt, jumped into the Hudson River. She had to be pulled out of the water by police boats. She got an offer (almost all do) but it was a cold one. In other words, a "non-offer" offer.

Another year, That Summer Associate sent an e-mail to a friend chronicling his day. Well, he THOUGHT he sent it to his friend--instead, it was sent to all of the attorneys in the firm--and instead of chronicling his day, it basically said "I'm getting paid to do jack shit."

You can read about funny stories and other gossip; it's fun.

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:51 am

So my summer is winding down hardcore. Last day of work in the firm is Friday, fly home Saturday, a week later I'll be in law school town. Yeeeaah buddy.

With it all bearing down on me, I've decided something important: I want to be an SNL comedienne. Or really any type. No biggie.

Besides that, I got my financial aid on lockdown, laid the smackdown on some Hertz people for messing with my dollar$, and (looking for another word with "down"...errrrr) put the beatdown on a breakfast burrito at work today.

I found an interesting breakdown for grades/the curve on my law school website. I mean, they really tell everything. I strongly recommend you do some hardcore internet-searching/site searching to find your school's info. Important stuff to know. Don't forget that 1L grades are the most important thing you'll do with your life if you want to work in a law hotspot. Namely, NYC/LA/DC. That order. Top NYC firms are NUTS about your grades. I'm gonna have to dedicate another post to this.

Orientation is soon. End of August. Yay!

One last thing: I had the opportunity to meet two wonderful young men who revealed themselves to me as TLS "lurkers." They confessed to having read my posts on here. It was surreal, really, but it only strengthens my conviction that it's important to think about what you post online. I'm sure this isn't the first time you've heard the warning, but it's true. It's also more than just distinguishing between inappropriate/appropriate material. I have posted things here which give an "insight" into my personality and thoughts. Even if that's not R-rated in content, it can be weird to meet someone who has seen inside you when you haven't seen inside him or her. Just remember that. The good news is that after reading my stuff they don't think I'm a fool, lecher, or pig. Hooray!

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:44 pm

THE 1L WISDOM POTLUCK

At receptions, training events, and seminars every person seemed to have her own opinion or tip concerning How to Achieve Success in Law School.

I think it'd be a good idea to compile some of the more common suggestions I heard, some of which may not be news to you, others which may hopefully help. Remember that your own style should prevail and don't change what's worked for you!

Timeline:
1. Get the tests. Some suggested getting copies of your professor's older tests from day one. Read through them, despite the fact that they won't make sense, so that you may have a roadmap for the rest of the year. Have one copy where you "fill in the answers" as you learn them. I put this in quotes because there are never cut-and-dry answers, but filling in examples, etc., can help you when it comes time to study.

2. Don't wait until the last month to begin reviewing.

3. Your outlines should be completed by exam time. You shouldn't be doing anything except honing by then. They should serve as study tools, not projects to complete when it comes to the end of the semester.

4. Commercial outlines can be hazardous. The best bet is to get outlines from people who had your professor. How much you should rely on them varies. Some suggest using them as backbones and filling in your own notes. This is the approach that I will take, despite my earlier urge to "do it all on my own."

5. Read your nutshell/commericial outline/commercial briefs first to give you a very general sense of the issues, etc. Then go to it and do it yourself. Never rely on "concentrated" materials alone.

6. Briefs should be short. Use your own words to sum things up. Despite what some say, knowing the dicta is important, too.

7. Study groups: some seem to think they serve a more social and less practical purpose. Knowing me, I think they will the former, although I'm open to the possibility.

8. Create rigid study hours. Over and over I hear that you should treat your studying like a full-time job. 9-5

9. Weird study tools: A speaker suggested studying near a refrigerator because of the white noise. Apparently our bodies like the indeterminable hum...whatever. I study in bars.

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:36 pm

(one way) How to Brief a Case*

When it comes to case briefs, you should always remember to make them simple. That's the point. I made mine too complex at first and it's a bad idea.

They vary, but I like to do this:

Case/Court
Parties (and relationship, ie "Smith, plaintiff, bakery customer v. Johnson, defendant, baker")
Procedural history: went from NY supreme court (for plaintiff) to appellate court (affirmed) to court of appeals
Facts: should be short. "Smith was pistolwhipped at bakery. Johnson did not try to stop robber."
Issue: Does a store owner have a duty to its customers to cooperate with robbers?
Holding: This is the law that will travel through time as precedent. Sum in your own words. "No duty bc compliance would promote more robberies"
Dicta: This is non-binding, but may be used in other cases as persuasion. Sort of like "btw". Ex: "Gas stations shouldn't have a duty either." This can bu used in the future in related cases, but isn't precedent.
Conclusion: Affirmed/Reversed/Reversed & remanded, etc.
Dissent: Dicta? Rationale?

The notorious Arthur Miller from Harvard --> NYU told us we needed an understanding of the timeline, too. He was big into historical perspectives, so it's always important to see what professors want.

*I haven't started LS yet, either, and this is based only off of what was taught during a two week prep course.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:45 pm

Two Things I Have Accomplished Today That Have Made Me Significantly Proud

1. Acquisition of Cheese, Incorporated:
I stood outside in the freezing, misty cold at a street vendor debating between an Italian sausage and a Philly cheesesteak sandwich. Feeling bold, I ordered the Italian, but then thought about how comforting a pound or so of melted cheese would be on this blustery day. I quickly blurted the correction and the cook grumpily changed the order. Near the completion of my sandwich he casually throws out "I have no cheese for the cheesesteak," as if this wasn't a big deal. As if having no cheese for a cheesesteak is acceptable. I literally crumpled into the pavement, wailing "whaaaaat? No cheese??? NO cheese? But that's why I changed my order!!" The poor cook's back stiffened as he began to shift nervously; he shuffled around the little cart and before I could form tears, he had found the cheese necessary to validate my ******steak sandwich. AMEN.

2. Resolved Inner Turmoil and Discovered 1L Stress Relief:

I was contemplating soothing colors for my feng shui style bedroom-to-be and I simply could not decide between a green or brown shade. In a moment of blazing brilliance, I decided that I will instead choose a color that will perfectly approximate my skin tone; the goal being, of course, to allow myself some 1L escapism with the ability to blend, naked, with the wall.

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:00 pm

I left Manhattan today. Mixed feelings. :\

LS in 3 weeks!

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:19 pm

So I just read/finished Stardust in about 12 minutes. Seriously, shortest book ever. The author could have been a bit more consistent and probably also should have, oh, I don't know, developed characters? Maybe I'm just not getting it and maybe the movie will actually be better.

I'm also reading a pretty decent "Preparing for Baby, I mean 1L" book. It's an Emanuel's guide and it's called Strategies & Tactics for the First Year Law Student . Yeah, it's pretty good. Eases mine gut and offers ye great tips.

http://www.amazon.com/Strategies-Tactic ... 53&sr=1-10

Next to read: Water for Elephants. Oooh
Link Edited by moderator to not break format

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:39 pm

Read Running With Scissors yesterday, reading some book about money today, reading Water for Elephants tomorrow. I have the sneakiest of sneak-sneak suspicions that I won't be able to read school material nearly as quickly.

Move to law school tomorrow. Yippee!

p.s. went and saw Stardust. Lovely. Better than the book--shock! I'm also writhing with anticipation for (booming voice, please) that movie with Nicole Kidmaaaan! Can't think of the name. Invasion?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:07 pm

I'm moved into my apartment (party at my place Aug 28th, PM me if you're in the area) and now I'm in Tx visiting the grandfolks.

I found out my section...I'm taking civpro, contracts, and property this semester along with two legal something-or-other courses. Yay!

More details when I actually figure out what is up with LS. Holla.

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:12 pm

Oh, what a bummer of a legacy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Redden

In other news, I'm clearly not in school yet.

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:46 am

So what has law school been like so far?

I'll start off by plugging my school. I absolutely love it here. I don't see how law school (because let's be real, law school in and of itself is not fun) could be any more pleasurable. The town is fantastic, the people are chill, my classmates are funny, the work is challenging, and I'm on arguably one of the sexiest LS campuses in the country.

I have class 5 days a week.
Monday and Friday I have legal practice, which amounts to a large quantity of not-so-challenging, helpful supplementary information. It will require a lot of writing and I'm a little nervous about the time it'll take to do.
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are my days from hell. I've got contracts (which is difficult for me given the rapid pace of my prof) civil procedure (my professor is thorough and friendly) and property. I have the most hilarious property professor EVER. He's ridiculous. I spend most of the class cackling aloud. He's a genius and his book makes sense. Nevertheless, prop is also a bit difficult.
After class each day @ 3:45 (Tu/Wed/Thur mainly) I head to the library where I study until about 8pm or so, give or take 30-60 min. From there, I ride the free bus home. I will usually consider working out before I cave in and eat. I'll study for another 1.5 hr or so and then I head to bed.

My weekends are relatively stress-free. I spent perhaps 10-12 hours studying on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (combined). It varies per person, so as long as you're doing what it takes to feel comfortable, you'll be good.

The pace is fast, and I've learned (like everyone tells you but you have to realize yourself) that writing down everything verbatim is silly. You'll learn less and panic more when you "miss" something. It's much better to listen and enjoy the hypotheticals, perhaps writing down a few.

I also find the Notes and Questions interspersed throughout the chapters to be particularly useful. They're good challenges and I recommend checking out the cited cases for further understanding and info. It's helping me in property a lot.

All in all, I love it here. In fact, I love it so much that the dean of admissions (in response to my perhaps overly-enthusiastic emails) asked if I wanted to be in the new admissions video. Look for me in the '08 cycle...:)

p.s. I love my old school TLS clan here on campus. Good folks.

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:53 pm

Whew, I'm tired.

Studying the law...

Making a responsible choice for my future...

On a Friday [Saturday] night...

BEIN' A LAWYER HAD BETTA BE AWESOMMMMMMEEEEEEE

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:31 pm

You know how when you're stirring jello, and at first it's so liquid that you can't possibly imagine how i'd ever get thick and firm--just like Bill Cosby likes it?

I kind of forgot where I was going with that one, but what I mean to say is that law school has gotten thicker without warning. It was all liquid and smooth and cool and now I'm like...oh...L-A-W S-C-H-O-O-L IT'S ALIIIIVE!

It's still not the suicide-inducing nightmare that I sometimes feared, and it's still manageable without superpowers...but it's getting more aggressive. As the new material rains down, I can't help but look at the puddle that is rising around my feet, now legs, now waist...we've covered a lot. We're on chapter six already in property. I've got about 30 pages of typewritten notes per class. Outlines? Your mom.

It's only halfway through the semester and I can just feel how this relatively not-so-bad schedule of mine is going to absolutely explode.

But it's cool.

So anyway, I'm still around, toolin' around, you know. Writing a memo, ack, gag.

Back to the libros.

-B

p.s. Now I remember what I was going to say! I was going to ask if you rememberd how much you hated the smiling people on the LSAC website where you checked for your LSAT score. Weren't they jerks? Learn to get used to it; the d-bags smiling on the Westlaw website are almost as bad. Why are they so happy? Are they not writing memos?

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:49 pm

I have a tutor in every class. I try to meet with my group for property and contracts tutoring once a week. I met with my civpro tutor for the first time today and we probably won't meet again until exam time.

It's not something I considered pre- law school, but after hearing recommendations to get a tutor, I jumped on the bandwagon. Check to see if your school offers them for free.

My legal practice skills class takes up a lot of time. This week alone I'm expected to do about 10 hours of research for an open memo that will be due November 9th. Ordinarily, 10 hours wouldn't be so bad...but trust me, it is. I'm planning on logging 2 hours or so tonight.

Back to the books-

B

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:30 am

A friend of mine at Columbia Law posted this note:
I had a dream the other night that a bunch of students were in a lecture hall playing duck-duck-goose with drastic and unnamed consequences. I got tagged by the goose and jumped out of my seat and ran around the room tagging the goose and getting tagged by the goose back and forth. The goose eventually sat in my old seat and I held onto him. Doing a quick cost-benefit analysis and fearing the consequences, I broke his arm, but he still held onto my seat. Then I got behind him, wrapped my forearm around his neck, strangled him and pushed him out of my seat. The professor nodded as 2 large male nurses came and dragged his corpse out.
Jesus, Lord. I have a wine and cheese event with my professors and classmates today, a dinner with a group of them Wednesday, a LS halloween costume party Friday, and I threw a party with LStudents Saturday. Totally different experience...

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:29 pm

1L Law School Right Now

So, let's see...it's early November.
-It snowed today. Flurries. Exciting. I squealed and searched for (and found) the radio station that plays X-mas music.

I wish that it were t-mas, because that seems to be more representative of Christmas. At least there's a "t" in Christmas, or Christ, and plus it looks more like a crucifix. OH! Maybe the "x" comes from "crucifix?" I'm hoping so. Otherwise, it looks like a windmill.

-It's time to begin serious reviewing and outline-honing. I've formed a small study group for once-weekly reinforcement.

-November 1st marked the first day to meet with career services about the 1L job. I went to a résumé workshop (those of you in my position [1Ls]) should as well. The game changes, of course.

I'm in a pretty good posish in terms of 1L jobs, I think. I'm very fortunate that that burden is somewhat lifted so I can focus more on school.

-It's hardcore memo time. Finished the draft and final of the closed memo and now this week is the draft for the open memo. I suck at legal writing. It's sad, because bluebook eludes me. Part of it (okay, all of it) is as a result of my unwillingness to dock a few good hours of heart-to-bluebook quality time. I need to.

Back to the books. I have to knockout some study-study so I can get to writing me memo. Argh!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:21 pm

"Around Thanksgiving, you should be focusing on your outlines and exam prep," they say, "the exam should be your main focus."

And you know what I say? "Me, bite, now."

What no one mentioned, and what a few friends I've spoken to at other schools are currently experiencing, is a cruel little game I have cleverly named "Oh, You're Trying to Ease Off of the Assignments to Prepare for My Guaranteed-to-Be-Out-of-This-World Exam? Here Is An Assignment Longer Than You've Had All Year, Because Dividing the Number of Pages In This Text By the Number of Days In School Would be Weird and Predictable."

We're nearing the end of chapter 10 in property and my professor e-mailed the following assignment: (Please note the total of 8 days to cover TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY PAGES OF MATERIAL, beginning next weekish.):

Ch. 11 -- Zoning

(I aim to cover this chapter in three days)

Intro: 821-841

Nonconforming Uses: 841-849

Flexibility Devices: 849-871 (concentrate on the note material)

Selected Problems in Zoning: 871-901, 901-918 (ditto)

Ch. 12 -- Taking

(We should have about five days for this material)

Background: 941-959

Reg. Takings

Physical Occupation: 959-973 (categorical rule)

Nuisance Control: 973-980 (categorical rule)

Measuring and Balancing: 980-1006 (noncategorical rules)

Wipeouts: 1006-1038 (two days on this) (categorical rule, more or less)

Remedies: 1038-1042 (read for yourselves)

Exactions: 1042-1059

Perspectives: 1059-1065

Nevertheless, I will be attending what is shaping up to be the best game in 2007 NCAA College Football seasonal history EVER MCGREVER on Saturday. Be jealous.

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:39 pm

So I'm in the thick of the outlining process right now. It's proving to be an excellent way to organize and review.

I've got 15 credit hours: civpro, contracts, and property at 4 a piece; legal practice and skills at 3. Legal practice is modified pass/fail, thankfully.

People are beginning to stress out a lot. I've started to phase out my contact with other people. Not because I don't like people or because my classmates aren't friendly--quite the opposite--it's just that I know my pace, what I need to do, and how I need to do it. Comparing work done/left to do with others will only stress me out. Actually, this is my only non-academic outlet. I had my best friend change my FB password (I know, it's an addiction) and I don't sign into AIM or gchat anymore.

About the Dreaded 1L Job: I'm not letting myself focus on that much. Despite the fact that it's more than common to mail-merge 200+ firms, I (1) know what I want to do (i) and where, (ii) with what kind of firm and (2) I have an offer to return to a firm.

In addition to the offer, there are a few other leads...invitations to submit applications to people I met, etc. That has been a blessing that I couldn't have appreciated until this time of year came around.

I'll leave you with something funny. I've got a hilarious professor, K who says some rather amusing things in class. Enjoy these quotes I've logged:
Concerning people with metal detectors at the beach:
“When I go to the beach I always drop lots of worthless metal, just to hassle those people.”

K: My class is ONE of the best classes? You only have three! I could come up here and fart and it’d be the best class! Maybe I do.

K: “I think Japan is a safe place, too, but I think it’d be even safer if every person was confined to an individual prison cell.”

K: [Regarding Poirier the No Longer With Us]: Everything is a mental disorder these days! First of all, I have voluntary Tourette’s! “Shit! There! See!?” I have Aspberger’s. (violent wiggling) You see me throw the exams down the stairs? I have grading phobia.

K: So if a cow and a bull got together and had a calf, who would get it?
Student: Well, I think the cow would. I mean she had to birth it and take care of it…she put more work into it.
K: Are you kidding? The sons I sired took ENORMOUS effort! You’ve clearly never been a bull.

K: So, what was that?
student: Uh..
K: You don't have to answer. I just have all of these fantasies...
student: Just to clear the air, Sanders said “Oh shit.” and I said “I’ve got nothing, you’re out of luck.”

[Regarding incest]
student: The Brits are worse.
K: How so? They’re upstanding people.
student: But they’re on a smaller island.
K: But they’re more selective copulators.
K, singing: “K said cop-u-late!”

K: What? That’s crazy. That’s like saying capital punishment is meant to trick criminals into not murdering people.

K: Teflon, where’s Teflon? Are you Teflon? Oh, there he is. He’s in the back. What is your name, Teflon?

K: To get an A+ you should come to the exam pumped full of me.

K: We haven’t the faintest idea of why the Earth goes around the sun. The Earth could be looking down and snorting—“Ha, gravity, what? I do this because the sun turns me on.” And here comes the sun: “Doodle doo, doo”

K: [My son] Andrew just wrote me the other day and said “Just think, you’re behind all of this, you donated the sperm.” I told him, “Actually…we used a sperm bank.”

student: Like, the people who live on the highway suffer more…
K: The people on the highway suffer quickly! And rapidly.
student: I think you know what I meant.
K: I think you know that I do not know what you meant.

K: So who do you go to? You go to your attorney! So you and your attorney are sitting there, navel gazing…gazing at each other's navels...

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:32 am

Oh my gosh, I'm so jealous of people who had midterms. My classes end Dec 7, exams 13, 17, 21. NO GRADES BACK UNTIL FEBRUARY. Are you kidding me?!?! I'll go mad. I know I will. I already have.

All I have are three finals, 4 hrs a piece.

Got my civpro practice exam...the essay part...omfgkmn. It is 3 pages long, 3 parts, long and very detailed, complex m&a securities stuff. Each part asks for a judicial memo. That's just the essay part, worth 1/4 of the grade. Oh. And no outlines. Blocked computers. All we can bring in is our supplement. Truth be told, you can make an exam on the alphabet as hard as you please. Well, this is a great chance to see whether Montessori school paid off.

Got some practice prop exam questions. A favorite:
"Comment on the following statement that I found one day on the classroom blackboard (a quote from a TV program): 'You want property? Property costs!'"

Yep. 'Tis what it says. Temptation to answer sarcastically does (admittedly) set in.

Sarcastic answer: Why, yes it does. This class alone has cost me $7,000, hair, muscle mass, and my personality. :)

Real answer: blah blah, transaction costs, highest value, best use, efficiency, boogedy boogedy negotiation costs, externalities & Dempsey, I need about tree fitty, etc., etc.,

Class in an hour. Memo due shortly thereafter. Really ought to go focus on whether this costumed amusement park employee can make a prima facie case for retaliatory disharge. Wamp wamp wamp.

britt2010

New

Post by britt2010 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:44 pm

I'm a tool.

Me, Tuesday, November 20th:

"I am absolutely not taking any books home for Thanksgiving break! I'm only there two days and I will lovingly dedicate that time to my family!!!"

Me, Wednesday, November 21st:

"Nothing? That's a little drastic. It wouldn't hurt to bring some flashcards for down time, or when I'm on the toilet..."

Me, later, Wednesday, November 21st:

"...and Getting to Maybe. I ought to finish that."

Me, Thursday, November 22nd:

"What was I thinking! I can't be away from my work! I normally work Fridays anyway and still have work left over! What makes this holiday break any different? The syllabus doesn't believe in 'holidays!' The curve don't givafuck about family time!!!!"

Me, Friday, November 23rd:

Leaving a day early after spending a little over 24 hours at home for Thanksgiving. A big wamp waMP WAMP!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Web Logs (Blogs)”