Best Quality of Life in the Top 30

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
iShotFirst

Re: Best Quality of Life in the Top 30

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:01 pm

SF weather is really the worst though, cold and windy all summer, cold and rainy all winter ... September is really the only month it gets warm. Berkeley at least avoids some of that but its still close enough to experience it when it's really bad.

Austin would be my vote.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:31 am

tjeffery wrote:SF weather is really the worst though, cold and windy all summer, cold and rainy all winter ... September is really the only month it gets warm. Berkeley at least avoids some of that but its still close enough to experience it when it's really bad.

Austin would be my vote.

I'm clearly biased, but if it's between UT and UCLA, then I'd definitely vote UCLA. UCLA is in westwood near the coastline, so it's not inundated with the disgusting LA smog but is still located in an awesome city and perpetual sunshine. It's one of the main reasons I chose to ED to UCLA.

I grew up in SF/Palo Alto area so humidity might be a bigger factor to me than to others, but I HATE high humidity and any Southern city (eg. Austin) is bound to have nasty Southern summers. That said, Austin is the greatest city in the South - academics and reputation aside, Austin > Durham > Charlottesville.

Pizon

Postby Pizon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:53 am

postitnotes wrote:once you are in law school you probably won't think much about QOL much though; you'll just be thinking about grades

This isn't really necessarily true. There are times when you'll be very busy (before finals, when memos are due, etc.) but there will be times when most will want to enjoy life. I took most weekends off entirely. My grades likely benefitted from getting my mind off school every now and then.

Everyone's experience is different, but I'd say QOL is an important consideration.

Chicklets

Postby Chicklets » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:55 am

Everyone's got his own preference about the weather, urban/sub, etc.; are those of you who are L1's happy with your QoL in your school? Are people generally cheerful, helpful, collegial; are the facilities comfy; is there a decent cup of coffee to be had? You know, would you choose to spend 3 years in the same place if you had to do it over again?

Pizon

Postby Pizon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:59 am

UFMatt wrote:To those who said Minnesota, I have to ask about the crime. Is it as bad as statistics indicate? I have a good offer there, but I don't want to be looking over my shoulder for 3 years.

:lol:

C'mon, dude. Where did you grow up? Or was this sarcasm?

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:02 am

jay115 wrote:
tjeffery wrote:SF weather is really the worst though, cold and windy all summer, cold and rainy all winter ... September is really the only month it gets warm. Berkeley at least avoids some of that but its still close enough to experience it when it's really bad.

Austin would be my vote.

I'm clearly biased, but if it's between UT and UCLA, then I'd definitely vote UCLA. UCLA is in westwood near the coastline, so it's not inundated with the disgusting LA smog but is still located in an awesome city and perpetual sunshine. It's one of the main reasons I chose to ED to UCLA.

I grew up in SF/Palo Alto area so humidity might be a bigger factor to me than to others, but I HATE high humidity and any Southern city (eg. Austin) is bound to have nasty Southern summers. That said, Austin is the greatest city in the South - academics and reputation aside, Austin > Durham > Charlottesville.

Austin is dry as hell; it's really not the south either.

superflush

Postby superflush » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:35 am

GATORTIM wrote:
servinDizzert wrote:I heard Iowa is very scenic

nice play. lol

superflush

Postby superflush » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:41 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
jcl2 wrote:San Francisco has the worst weather of any major city in the country IMO.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Have you been to Minneapolis? Chicago? Maybe you like snow, though, which would be valid.

This sounds like something that someone who has never left California would say.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:41 am

kurama20 wrote:
jay115 wrote:

Austin would be my vote.

+1 Austin isnt really humid at all..but i guess if you're coming from a really dry area it could seem humid? lol plenty of wind though and a fun "college feel" city

lot of ppl would complain about the TX hot summers, which is true...but i mean if you're not from TX, you could leave the state for the summer haha

superflush

Postby superflush » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:42 am

UFMatt wrote:To those who said Minnesota, I have to ask about the crime. Is it as bad as statistics indicate? I have a good offer there, but I don't want to be looking over my shoulder for 3 years.

Just watch out for the terrorists

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:45 am

postitnotes wrote:
rondemarino wrote:YLS. Reportedly they only study 1.5 hours a day (not saying I buy it). Also, being guaranteed a six figure job on graduation does wonders for stress ITE.

/thread

titcr. pretty sure it's the only school that doesn't curve either. (harvard/stanford both curve).

beyond that, I think places outside of big cities offer higher QOL on average.

It's hard to curve when you don't have grades.

Oh and I throw my vote up for UNC, it's not too shabby (until you graduate).

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:43 am

toaster2 wrote:columbia

HA

EzraStiles

Postby EzraStiles » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:02 am

This question just seems far too dependent on what you like. I personally love the snow, so even though the academics are absolutely brutal I'd say the most fun T30 law school for me would be Cornell. And I'll also say I'm the only one who will respond to this thread with that answer.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:17 am

EzraStiles wrote:This question just seems far too dependent on what you like. I personally love the snow, so even though the academics are absolutely brutal I'd say the most fun T30 law school for me would be Cornell. And I'll also say I'm the only one who will respond to this thread with that answer.

+11111111 !!!! I love the snow, mountains, nature, etc. Cornell is gorgeous and quiet. Not too far from some great skiing, rock climbing, etc. I don't know if I could handle three years on an urban campus. Not that that's a reason not to go to a school, but I really think I'd miss the open space and trees. I know Colorado isn't top 30, but it's definitely one of my top choices in terms of QOL.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:05 am

Why is everyone talking shit about SF? I don't agree with you, but that's not my point. Neither Berkeley nor Stanford is in SF. Both are isolated from the fog. I am seriously laughing at anyone who thinks its anything close to "cold and rainy" in Palo Alto in the summer. That's actually a joke.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:15 am

I've lived in 6 major U.S. cities (including San Francisco) and the day I leave Austin will be a sad day. It trumps them all.

Though I won't be attending UT, it's a remarkable school with a great atmosphere. The city is amazing: cultural, diverse, artistic, and geared towards the 20/30-something demographic. There are too many things to do here...it can be overwhelming trying to sort out what to do on a Friday night. It's got a killer entertainment district, it's the "live music capital of the world", it has hiking, water sports, and rafting all within a short drive, and the city has a laid back vibe.

If QOL is a deciding factor, I would recommend UT to anyone.

newcritic

Postby newcritic » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:49 am

vanwinkle wrote:
No1ustad wrote:would Not agree with UW (Seattle)
year-round clouds and dreary weather, not to mention the curve-system and barely being in the T30...

I agree with you otherwise, but if we're taking rankings into consideration on this, Yale has the best quality of life in the Top 30, hands down.

UW's curve is pretty generous - you really have to want it to get below a B. Also, the weather is very nice from May to the end of September.

misformafia

Postby misformafia » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:27 am

Leeeeeeex Veeeegasssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:08 pm

postitnotes wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
postitnotes wrote:
jcl2 wrote:I do like snow, but I also like warm summers, San Fransisco has neither. Don't get me wrong, San Francisco is a great city, and I would live there over any city in the midwest or east, I just don't like the foggy cold summers.

Have you lived in any place in the midwest or east coast? SF isn't all that.

No, but I am quite happy living in the west. There are some great cities in the east coast and midwest, but a city's hinterland is just as important as the city itself for determining QOL, and for me that means there needs to be open spaces and mountains suitable for skiing and climbing relatively near by.

SF is a good 4-5 hour drive from Tahoe (whether Diamond, Rose, etc.), which is where people from the Bay Area ski. During the winter months, when you need chains, the drive ramps up to 6+ hours up in the mountains. NYC for example is about the same or less from decent slopes. People are content living in most areas of first world countries. You should try living in other regions before judging.

I don't doubt that there are many people content living in cities all across the country, and I have enjoyed visiting cities in the east. But what makes for good QOL, at least when comparing cities in the developed world, is probably 70-90% personal preference. For me outdoor recreation opportunities are very important, particularly skiing, mountain climbing, backpacking, and cycling, and no offense intended, but I think we have different ideas about what good slopes are. There is just no place in the east that quite has what I am looking for. Being near family is also an important factor for me, and they are mostly in the northwest and CA.

So, I understand that many people may prefer cities in the east, or midwest, or even south, I just don't, and there are probably plenty of people who agree with me. It just depends on what your priorities and preferences are.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:16 pm

kurama20 wrote:
jay115 wrote:

Austin would be my vote.

You wouldn't consider Texas to be in the South?

Also "dry as hell" =/= http://www.cityrating.com/cityhumidity.asp?City=Austin. It also happens to be mid-winter and Austin is clocking in humidity at a super dry 46% --> http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... ct=WEATHER

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:21 pm

crackberry wrote:Why is everyone talking shit about SF? I don't agree with you, but that's not my point. Neither Berkeley nor Stanford is in SF. Both are isolated from the fog. I am seriously laughing at anyone who thinks its anything close to "cold and rainy" in Palo Alto in the summer. That's actually a joke.

As I said, SF is a great city, but you have to admit the weather there sucks, in the summer at least. The only US city I can think of with worse summer weather is Anchorage, and that doesn't really quite count as a major city. Fortunately if you live in SF you are only about 20 minutes away from very nice weather. And yes, Palo Alto has much nicer weather than SF and Berkeley has slightly nicer weather.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:29 pm

jcl2 wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
jcl2 wrote:San Francisco has the worst weather of any major city in the country IMO.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Have you been to Minneapolis? Chicago? Maybe you like snow, though, which would be valid.

I've spent time in literally ever major city in the country (and also 1+ years each in four totally different regions). SF's weather is better than anywhere I've ever lived (amongst them Atlanta, NYC, Philadelphia).

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. But I love the year-round mildness. I hate the snow with a passion -- same with brutal heat.

I do like snow, but I also like warm summers, San Fransisco has neither. Don't get me wrong, San Francisco is a great city, and I would live there over any city in the midwest or east, I just don't like the foggy cold summers.

Don't you live in seattle jl2c? :P

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:46 pm

jcl2 wrote:
crackberry wrote:Why is everyone talking shit about SF? I don't agree with you, but that's not my point. Neither Berkeley nor Stanford is in SF. Both are isolated from the fog. I am seriously laughing at anyone who thinks its anything close to "cold and rainy" in Palo Alto in the summer. That's actually a joke.

As I said, SF is a great city, but you have to admit the weather there sucks, in the summer at least. The only US city I can think of with worse summer weather is Anchorage, and that doesn't really quite count as a major city. Fortunately if you live in SF you are only about 20 minutes away from very nice weather. And yes, Palo Alto has much nicer weather than SF and Berkeley has slightly nicer weather.

Yeah the weather in parts of SF does suck in the summer. No question about it. Places like Noe Valley, the Mission, Potrero Hill and to some extent South Beach/SoMa are isolated from that though and enjoy pretty good weather all year round. I will agree with you, though, that the weather in SF is at its peak in September-November.

That said, this thread was about QOL at the T30 law schools. There is no T30 law school in SF. Stanford has incredible weather. The only bad months in Palo Alto are December and January, which are pretty much nasty everywhere (ie. don't try to argue that January in Palo Alto is worse than January in NYC, Chicago, Boston, New Haven, etc.). Berkeley's weather is also pretty good. The truth is, in my opinion, the worst weather of the year in Palo Alto/Berkeley is in August when it can come close to 100 degrees.

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:48 pm

Michigan. We have all four seasons here, in plentiful portions of each. :lol:

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:48 pm

crackberry wrote:
jcl2 wrote:

Yeah the weather in parts of SF does suck in the summer. No question about it. Places like Noe Valley, the Mission, Potrero Hill and to some extent South Beach/SoMa are isolated from that though and enjoy pretty good weather all year round. I will agree with you, though, that the weather in SF is at its peak in September-November.

That said, this thread was about QOL at the T30 law schools. There is no T30 law school in SF. Stanford has incredible weather. The only bad months in Palo Alto are December and January, which are pretty much nasty everywhere (ie. don't try to argue that January in Palo Alto is worse than January in NYC, Chicago, Boston, New Haven, etc.). Berkeley's weather is also pretty good. The truth is, in my opinion, the worst weather of the year in Palo Alto/Berkeley is in August when it can come close to 100 degrees.

Hastings deserves to be in the top 30 based on career prospects.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”