Best Quality of Life in the Top 30 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BruceBarr

Bronze

Re: Best Quality of Life in the Top 30

Post by BruceBarr » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:30 pm

holydonkey wrote:Cooley

/oblig
Can we ban him?

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:18 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:No grades + top-notch job prospects + killer weather = Boalt = WIN

(coming from a 0L 8) )
since when has boalt (by extension, berkeley) ever had "killer weather"? and why has no one mentioned stanford? stanford also has fantastic career prospects, weather not as crappy as in the inner bay area (where cal is) and isnt located in the urban ghetto, such as new haven.

postitnotes

Bronze

Post by postitnotes » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:00 pm

-
Last edited by postitnotes on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:03 pm

jay115 wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:No grades + top-notch job prospects + killer weather = Boalt = WIN

(coming from a 0L 8) )
since when has boalt (by extension, berkeley) ever had "killer weather"? and why has no one mentioned stanford? stanford also has fantastic career prospects, weather not as crappy as in the inner bay area (where cal is) and isnt located in the urban ghetto, such as new haven.
+1!! SLS ftw.

*not an SLS student*

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:15 pm

servinDizzert wrote:I heard Iowa is very scenic

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:36 pm

Slimpee wrote:Minneapolis is a sick city.
swine flu

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:52 pm

Georgiana wrote:
jay115 wrote:

(coming from a 0L 8) )
+1!! SLS ftw.

*not an SLS student*

According to Princeton review and some of their students on TLS, they have a pretty high workload (SLS 1Ls). I think they actually have more classes during 1L than most of the top 14 (the same as Cornell). They put in a lot of hours at the library. Also Stanford's weather really isn't as warm as people make it out to be, it's NoCal not Socal. Honestly, the onlyh top 14 with amazing weather is Duke. UCLA, USC, and UT kill all the top 14 schools when it comes to weather.Yale is probably the real answer to this question.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:14 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
jay115 wrote:

(coming from a 0L 8) )
+1!! SLS ftw.

*not an SLS student*

According to Princeton review and some of their students on TLS, they have a pretty high workload (SLS 1Ls). I think they actually have more classes during 1L than most of the top 14 (the same as Cornell). They put in a lot of hours at the library. Also Stanford's weather really isn't as warm as people make it out to be, it's NoCal not Socal. Honestly, the onlyh top 14 with amazing weather is Duke. UCLA, USC, and UT kill all the top 14 schools when it comes to weather.Yale is probably the real answer to this question.
i dont know why im defending SLS as I'm not going there, but I did grow up in palo alto and the weather is glorious - no where as disgusting as berekely or the more coastal regions of the SF bay. its sufficiently southern of SF that it isn't as affected by the weird SF fog yet not south enough to be as humid as LA can get.

But yes; I'm sure SLS students have disgusting workloads and palo alto isnt the cheapest place to live...

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:45 pm

jay115 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
jay115 wrote:
+1!! SLS ftw.

*not an SLS student*

i dont know why im defending SLS as I'm not going there, but I did grow up in palo alto and the weather is glorious - no where as disgusting as berekely or the more coastal regions of the SF bay. its sufficiently southern of SF that it isn't as affected by the weird SF fog yet not south enough to be as humid as LA can get.

But yes; I'm sure SLS students have disgusting workloads and palo alto isnt the cheapest place to live...
+1
Palo Alto is in the rainshadow of the Santa Cruz mountains so it doesn't get much rain and doesn't have the marine influence that causes the persistent fog in places like San Francisco and to a lesser extent Berkeley, but it does still get some rain and has seasons, which is a plus compared to SoCal. I grew up in the South Bay too and like the weather there, though I much prefer the real seasons, snow, and bigger mountains where I live now. San Francisco has the worst weather of any major city in the country IMO, and Berkeley is not much better, cold and foggy all year round; on several occasions I have gotten on a plane in Seattle wearing shorts and a t-shirt and had to put on a jacket when I got off in San Francisco.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:51 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
servinDizzert wrote:I heard Iowa is very scenic
If you like corn.
Shit even then its just dirt from Oct til May.

Cardboardbox

Bronze

Post by Cardboardbox » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:58 pm

postitnotes wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Image

*runs into law school building to hide*

To the person who said non-urban schools have better QOL: I respectfully disagree. 24/7 public transportation FTFW.
The overall cost of living is still much higher in a place like New York, public transit or not, than it is with a car and gas in Ann Arbor or Charlottesville. Honestly, I would very drawn to throwing an ED at NYU if it wasn't for the insane COL. It would be a shock for my wallet going from paying $200 for my half of a fullsize double bedroom apartment in my small Minnesota college town to paying God-knows-what for a one-bedroom flat with water-stained ceilings, leaky windows, broken heating and whatever else plagues the "cheap" side of the New York lifestyle.
don't forget the mice and weird house centipedes that come out of your drains...lots of mice and sewer bugs in urban areas.

out of the non-hys T14s...mich, uva, and duke have the best QOL.
It's all part of the charm of big city life!!...maybe I've been living in NY too long lol

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:05 pm

jay115 wrote:

(coming from a 0L 8) )
Killer weather = no snow. I've never lived in a place without a miserable winter. Fog and rain I can handle just fine!

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:12 pm

jcl2 wrote:San Francisco has the worst weather of any major city in the country IMO.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Have you been to Minneapolis? Chicago? Maybe you like snow, though, which would be valid.

I've spent time in literally ever major city in the country (and also 1+ years each in four totally different regions). SF's weather is better than anywhere I've ever lived (amongst them Atlanta, NYC, Philadelphia).

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. But I love the year-round mildness. I hate the snow with a passion -- same with brutal heat.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:44 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
jcl2 wrote:San Francisco has the worst weather of any major city in the country IMO.

Have you been to Minneapolis? Chicago? Maybe you like snow, though, which would be valid.

I've spent time in literally ever major city in the country (and also 1+ years each in four totally different regions). SF's weather is better than anywhere I've ever lived (amongst them Atlanta, NYC, Philadelphia).

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. But I love the year-round mildness. I hate the snow with a passion -- same with brutal heat.
I do like snow, but I also like warm summers, San Fransisco has neither. Don't get me wrong, San Francisco is a great city, and I would live there over any city in the midwest or east, I just don't like the foggy cold summers.

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:47 pm

To those who said Minnesota, I have to ask about the crime. Is it as bad as statistics indicate? I have a good offer there, but I don't want to be looking over my shoulder for 3 years.

postitnotes

Bronze

Post by postitnotes » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:23 pm

-
Last edited by postitnotes on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:43 pm

postitnotes wrote:
jcl2 wrote: I do like snow, but I also like warm summers, San Fransisco has neither. Don't get me wrong, San Francisco is a great city, and I would live there over any city in the midwest or east, I just don't like the foggy cold summers.
Have you lived in any place in the midwest or east coast? SF isn't all that.
No, but I am quite happy living in the west. There are some great cities in the east coast and midwest, but a city's hinterland is just as important as the city itself for determining QOL, and for me that means there needs to be open spaces and mountains suitable for skiing and climbing relatively near by.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:49 pm

UFMatt wrote:To those who said Minnesota, I have to ask about the crime. Is it as bad as statistics indicate? I have a good offer there, but I don't want to be looking over my shoulder for 3 years.
The West Bank (where the law school is) and the entire area around Dinky Town (where you'll most likely be living) =/= North Minneapolis. You'll be fine.

postitnotes

Bronze

Post by postitnotes » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:53 pm

jcl2 wrote:
postitnotes wrote:
jcl2 wrote: I do like snow, but I also like warm summers, San Fransisco has neither. Don't get me wrong, San Francisco is a great city, and I would live there over any city in the midwest or east, I just don't like the foggy cold summers.
Have you lived in any place in the midwest or east coast? SF isn't all that.
No, but I am quite happy living in the west. There are some great cities in the east coast and midwest, but a city's hinterland is just as important as the city itself for determining QOL, and for me that means there needs to be open spaces and mountains suitable for skiing and climbing relatively near by.
SF is a good 4-5 hour drive from Tahoe (whether Diamond, Rose, etc.), which is where people from the Bay Area ski. During the winter months, when you need chains, the drive ramps up to 6+ hours up in the mountains. NYC for example is about the same or less from decent slopes. People are content living in most areas of first world countries. You should try living in other regions before judging.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:08 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:

I would straight up kill for year round mildness. I have lived in the rust belt region of the midwest my whole life (plus Boston and Philly). In my current location it has snowed every single day for the last 5 days, and the forecast says it will snow for the next 10 days as well (maybe more, but the forecast only goes 10 days). I nearly got into 2 accidents on the way to work today and spent 20 minutes clearing my car off in the morning. I live across the street from a high school, and a student's car ended up in my neighbors lawn.

Berkeley also gets a bit more sun than SF, but I would take mild weather and little sun over sunny, hot summers and winters where you forget that anyone lives in your city bc no one ever goes outside.

e: In an attempt to put it more mildly, I'll agree with tangerine gleam, maybe it's just different strokes. But seriously, if you haven't felt the chill of a week that averages negative 10 degrees, you may not know what bad weather is.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:25 pm

Um, UCLA wouldn't suck - perfect weather, beautiful little college town/area, few miles from the beach...

Haven't been there but I'd imagine UT-Austin is a pretty cool place to live also...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:31 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Image

*runs into law school building to hide*

To the person who said non-urban schools have better QOL: I respectfully disagree. 24/7 public transportation FTFW.
Being in NYC for the next week or so, I have to say TITCR. However, if you want to live in the south and work there when you graduate, I don't think there is anything down there with 24/7 public transportation, but there is still unmistakably great QOL in one city:
ruleser wrote:Haven't been there but I'd imagine UT-Austin is a pretty cool place to live also...
Yes. Yes, it is. I would consider transferring downward just to live there again, except for how fucking insane that is.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:35 pm

kurama20 wrote:According to Princeton review and some of their students on TLS, they have a pretty high workload (SLS 1Ls). I think they actually have more classes during 1L than most of the top 14 (the same as Cornell). They put in a lot of hours at the library. Also Stanford's weather really isn't as warm as people make it out to be, it's NoCal not Socal. Honestly, the onlyh top 14 with amazing weather is Duke. UCLA, USC, and UT kill all the top 14 schools when it comes to weather.Yale is probably the real answer to this question.
Uh, what? You ever been to Durham in the summer (June-September)?

Palo Alto weather is definitely >>> Durham weather. It's not even really that close.

No1ustad

New

Post by No1ustad » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:39 pm

would Not agree with UW (Seattle)
year-round clouds and dreary weather, not to mention the curve-system and barely being in the T30...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:46 pm

No1ustad wrote:would Not agree with UW (Seattle)
year-round clouds and dreary weather, not to mention the curve-system and barely being in the T30...
I agree with you otherwise, but if we're taking rankings into consideration on this, Yale has the best quality of life in the Top 30, hands down.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”