Who is revamping their LRAP? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kurama20

Silver

Who is revamping their LRAP?

Post by kurama20 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:55 pm

I saw a post about UVA revamping their sucky LRAP--can someone describe the details? Also what other schools with sucky LRAPs are revamping them in the near future?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Who is revamping their LRAP?

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:58 pm

kurama20 wrote:I saw a post about UVA revamping their sucky LRAP--can someone describe the details? Also what other schools with sucky LRAPs are revamping them in the near future?
The first mention I heard about about UVA's LRAP revamp was during a presentation on the new Law and Public Service program. We weren't really given details there, just told generally that it was being significantly "beefed up" and more details would be coming on it hopefully before the end of this academic year.

bree

New

Post by bree » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:36 pm

Yeah, I've heard that about UVA as well.

I understand that a fair number of law schools plan on changing their LRAP programs to work in conjunction with the Federal IBR programs. Also, I understand that some law schools were struggling to fund their LRAPs because their endowments were down. If you look at the fine print of any law school LRAP, it inevitably says "contingent on funds being available" or something similar. The Federal IBR programs, on the other hand, should be fine assuming that the United States doesn't go bankrupt (which I suppose is possible at current spending rates :P). Of course, if the United States went bankrupt, your loans would be a very minor issue.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:28 pm

OK so basically UVA is the only one that is confirmed. Chicago needs to jump on the ball too. I wonder just how much UVA's is improving? Hopefully to the CLS or Boalt level?

DEKOCARDS

New

Post by DEKOCARDS » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:30 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ohnoyoudidn't

New

Post by ohnoyoudidn't » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:36 am

DEKOCARDS wrote:Georgetown just reworked theirs.

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/news/rele ... 2009c.html
Wow, that's impressive. I didn't thing GULC had it in them but they've really come through. If I was interested in doing PI work for the federal government I would be headed to DC.

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:41 am

I would love if Chicago would do something about theirs. However, better arguments can be made that the cost of tuition should stabilize or go down before they do anything about that.

libraryphobe

New

Post by libraryphobe » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:39 am

i heard from finaid at duke that they're planning to revamp theirs too, but i don't think there's anything in writing yet.

honestabe84

Bronze

Post by honestabe84 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:42 am

It seems like LRAP has lost a lot of its appeal ever since IBR was introduced.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”