Does The State of Michigan Need Another Law School Option?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
samer

Re: Does The State of Michigan Need Another Law School Option?

Postby samer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:41 pm

Colton wrote:Illinois has in-state (31k) and out-of-state (38k) tuition so I think it is funded by the state. But yeah, MSU-Law is private.

I figured the same, but Dean Pless said the U of I gets no stata funding. I wonder if it gets university funding, and since the university is funded by the state, the law school is indirectly? It's all messy...oh well.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:00 pm

samer wrote:
Colton wrote:Illinois has in-state (31k) and out-of-state (38k) tuition so I think it is funded by the state. But yeah, MSU-Law is private.

I figured the same, but Dean Pless said the U of I gets no stata funding. I wonder if it gets university funding, and since the university is funded by the state, the law school is indirectly? It's all messy...oh well.

Law schools typically generate their own revenue for their institution, so much that some of it is diverted to other parts of the university. That's why every two-bit college wants one.

jne381
AIPAC Chairman's Council Donor

Postby jne381 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:06 pm

samer wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:
Colton wrote:There are no jobs for the vast majority of law grads in MI and your solution is to add another law school? Seriously? Why would the state (which is absolutely broke!) pay to make MSU a public law school, there's no point.

Uhhh... MSU is a public law school?

It's kind of a weird case. It gets no state or university funding and is considered private. It is financially independent of the university, I guess it just wants to play off MSU's name since it's more prestigious-sounding that Detroit College of Law. I actually have a question for people out there. The University of Illinois also receives no state funding but is considered a public school. Why?

I have seen a few mistakes made in this thread regarding what makes a school public. I think BruceBarr said Northwestern was something like a state school. No, Northwestern is a private institution. The University of Michigan and the University of Illinois are public institutions. Though they may no longer take money fro the state (and probably make money for their universities), they were still started by their states and are owned by them. Just because the state invested in something that eventually makes it money, does not mean that it no longer belongs to them. In fact, the states of Illinois and Michigan could take every last penny they want from those schools, and just give them a budget to work with.

MSU is an interesting case. It is still private because it was a private institution when it joined the university. Currently that is a good thing for the school because it does have a good amount of money that the state would not be able to provide currently. I don't know when or if the private status of the school will change, but I don't see it as a problem for the school currently.

Northwestern is as private as it gets. It never took money from the state, and it can do whatever it wants within the law. (My alma mater)

Some speculation has been made about the difference in rankings between MSU and Wayne State. They are both currently Tier 3. However, last year Wayne State was Tier 4, and MSU was ranked 108 overall (this is only known because USNWR accidentally released rankings for tier 3 and 4). Unfortunately those are not released again, but we could probably make the safe assumption that MSU is near Tier 2 and Wayne State is near the bottom of Tier 3.

Finally, on the original topic. I do agree that Michigan does need another law school. However, it needs a quality law school. U of M grads mostly leave the state. Wayne grads mostly serve the East side of the state. MSU grads will go all over. Yes there is Cooley, but we don't want to get into that right now. There is a major market in Michigan that does not really have access to a good law school, and that is Grand Rapids and West Michigan in general. I currently live in GR and commute to East Lansing to go to law school. I would have loved to have had the ability to go to a good law school locally. Unfortunately, Cooley is saturating the market in Michigan making it difficult for school to start and build itself.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”