BYU's rep amongst non-Mormons Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
joemoviebuff

Silver

Re: BYU's rep amongst non-Mormons

Post by joemoviebuff » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:01 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
johnstuartmill wrote:One of my close friends is a born-and-bred California Mormon, and she tells me that she's having a hard time fitting in socially in Utah. I don't know if that's a potential problem for the OP.
BYU is stiflingly Mormon, even for most Mormons.
As someone who grew up Mormon and left the church, maybe I can add a different perspective. Sure, BYU has some uber crazies, but like any other religion there's a spectrum. There's a fair number of students that go to BYU only because that's where mommy and daddy will pay the tuition. So, there's a sizable minority of more "wordly" BYU goers. If you're looking to drink, smoke, and fuck in Provo you can certainly find it.
Yes, but I believe you will get kicked out for it if found out.

Joymin

New

Post by Joymin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:07 am

You might have to always worry about whether someone from LS is watching you boozing, etc. Not a great idea to live in that fear always.

Also, I am a tea/coffee addict. There is no way I can study without it. This limitation alone is sufficient to deter me from applying to BYU.

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:39 am

As someone who's from Utah, being Mormon can get you into high places. I'm not Mormon and wouldn't think of applying to BYU (I love coffee). You do have to adhere to an honor code and one mishap could end everything. For the most part, BYU grads make more than Utah grads. I don't know if a BYU JD would travel well but I'm sure it's very good for working in Utah. And you must be Mormon since the tuition is so cheap. I know it's a private school but it just seems odd to give a cheaper tuition because of that. It's as if they only want Mormons.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:39 am

I don't know if this is true, but I have heard that some Mormon women will aggressively seek out non-Mormon men for wild, kinky sex. There's a name for this, which I forget at the moment.

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:49 am

Adjudicator wrote:I don't know if this is true, but I have heard that some Mormon women will aggressively seek out non-Mormon men for wild, kinky sex. There's a name for this, which I forget at the moment.
As long as it's up the ass it's all good haha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:50 am

Mormons, good in bed?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:58 am

Renzo wrote:BYU law also has a bit of a cutthroat reputation. I've heard that it turns out good litigators because of it's gladiatorial learning environment.

Just hearsay, however.
If offered by BYU students and referring to actual discrete experiences while enrolled there, admissible as a present sense impression. I'LL ALLOW IT.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:38 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
johnstuartmill wrote:One of my close friends is a born-and-bred California Mormon, and she tells me that she's having a hard time fitting in socially in Utah. I don't know if that's a potential problem for the OP.
BYU is stiflingly Mormon, even for most Mormons.
As someone who grew up Mormon and left the church, maybe I can add a different perspective. Sure, BYU has some uber crazies, but like any other religion there's a spectrum. There's a fair number of students that go to BYU only because that's where mommy and daddy will pay the tuition. So, there's a sizable minority of more "wordly" BYU goers. If you're looking to drink, smoke, and fuck in Provo you can certainly find it.
Yeah this adds to my point. BYU is probably too Mormon for most (or at least a lot of) Mormons.

And I don't just mean the total Jack Mormons who want to smoke and drink. I mean like those otherwise-abiding men who want to grow their hair long, or not shave for a week - no huge sins for a lot of Mormons but nevertheless forbidden at BYU.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:08 am

I'm a CCN student, not a BYU Law student. However, I have a few comments before I get back to studying...

1) BYU gives you access to one of the strongest networks in the entire nation. You basically get the Mormon network and the BYU network. These ties are exceptionally strong worldwide-- I am working the BYU network as much as my CCN network to get a job now. Also, unlike the Jewish or Catholic networks, the Mormon/ BYU loyalties haven't been diffused over six or seven schools. Instead, even non-mormons, by dropping the "BYU" card can get great doors opened to them. Outside of the T14, they may have the strongest and most helpful (not largest by any means, but most cohesive and willing to help you out on the drop of a hat) network of any school.

2) BYU has kids a disproportionately high number of kids who could have hit hysccn but didn't because of pure loyalty to the school, making it very competitive. I would estimate 3+ 178s per year that go to BYU-- there was this kid last year I knew who got a 180 and had a 3.9-something and did not want to go to any other school that BYU.

3) If you aren't mormon, you may have difficulty with mormon girls, who generally are some of the most self-confident, social feminsm-esque, not willing to break with their morals, type of women you will meet. They mostly have a clear idea of what they want out of their lives and are truly aren't willing to sacrifice their values for quick gratification.

Therefore, if you are a heterosexual male that is not mormon, BYU will probably not be good for you in this area.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:27 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Therefore, if you are a heterosexual male that is not mormon, BYU will probably not be good for you in this area.
But if you're a homosexual male, BYU is a perfect fit!

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:33 pm

Rue the day OP created this zombie thread. It just wont die.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”