BYU's rep amongst non-Mormons

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
erico

BYU's rep amongst non-Mormons

Postby erico » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:18 pm

I'm curious how you guys perceive BYU as a law school (reputaion/job placement/etc). Besides the rankings, the only input I get is from fellow Mormons and I'm trying to gauge whether there's any bias in their advice. At $10k/yr it's tough to beat with my numbers (3.35/166) unless I somehow squeak in to USC or GWU and even then it's a decision. The idea of coming out of school debt free is very appealing to me. Your feedback is appreciated, thanks.

ruleser

Re: BYU's rep amongst non-Mormons

Postby ruleser » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:34 pm

Unless you have some magical softs, I doubt USC or GW. Don't know about BYU, but if the Mormon community offers good job ops and that's what you want, that may be a big + regardless of rank.

ainzabo7

Postby ainzabo7 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:58 pm

Georgia and Ohio State are two other inexpensive options given your stats.
Last edited by ainzabo7 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:00 pm

BYU law also has a bit of a cutthroat reputation. I've heard that it turns out good litigators because of it's gladiatorial learning environment.

Just hearsay, however.

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:01 pm

ainzabo7 wrote:Georgia and Ohio State are two other inexpensive options given your stats. The BYU student body will not be that diverse. No alcohol and students that adhere to very strict religious guidelines. Unless you are a Mormon, you will have a higher quality of life at UGA and OSU.

OP is a Mormon.

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:05 pm

BYU obviously has a different culture that would appeal much more to members of the faith. I think it could be argued that the law school does place better than similarly ranked schools. However, I also think the atmosphere is more competitive than most schools. Definitely a great value though, especially for those comfortable with the LDS culture.

erico

Postby erico » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:12 pm

In addition to its reputation in terms of schooling, I'm curious if anyone has any commentary of reputation in the industry and job placement. Thanks for your replies.

RudeDudewithAttitude

Postby RudeDudewithAttitude » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:39 pm

BYU 1L here. OP can PM me if he/she wants a student's opinion.

Dingo McPhee

Postby Dingo McPhee » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:38 pm

BYU's rep amongst non-Mormons: "Mormons."

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:39 pm

Dingo McPhee wrote:BYU's rep amongst non-Mormons: "Mormons."

GhostDynasty

Postby GhostDynasty » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:42 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:52 pm

I'm absolutely sure that BYU's reputation is inflated among Mormons, including its law school. I was raised Mormon, and I frequently heard people say things like "you know, it's actually one of the highest ranked schools in the nation." The impression I got from other Mormons was that BYU's undergrad was ranked in the 50s, and it's law school was in the 20s.

When I went outside the Mormon community, I was surprised to learn that the rest of the world had far less respect for BYU than I had been led to believe. My brother (who attends BYU) is interviewing at many med schools right now and he says that he feels like people treat him a bit differently because of his school.

I'm sure that many BYU grads get accepted into top schools in many fields, but I'm just saying its reputation is not particularly favorable. Its reputation might be a very slight negative at some places.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:22 pm

One of my close friends is a born-and-bred California Mormon, and she tells me that she's having a hard time fitting in socially in Utah. I don't know if that's a potential problem for the OP.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:26 pm

GhostDynasty wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

Ain't that school the one with all the mormons?

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:26 pm

tomhobbes wrote:When I went outside the Mormon community, I was surprised to learn that the rest of the world had far less respect for BYU than I had been led to believe. My brother (who attends BYU) is interviewing at many med schools right now and he says that he feels like people treat him a bit differently because of his school.

I wonder if its also because people are suspicious of someone's ability to engage with the broader community if a candidate went to school in an isolated atmosphere.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:29 pm

I believe South Park describes it best.

wired

Postby wired » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:26 am

tomhobbes wrote:I'm absolutely sure that BYU's reputation is inflated among Mormons, including its law school. I was raised Mormon, and I frequently heard people say things like "you know, it's actually one of the highest ranked schools in the nation." The impression I got from other Mormons was that BYU's undergrad was ranked in the 50s, and it's law school was in the 20s.

Hmmm... Those numbers could be about right depending on what time frame you were hearing it.

Just checked. I was wrong. The highest BYU Law has been ranked is 30. It's undergrad is currently 71. I know that is a bump from last year, but I have no idea where it is historically.

I agree that Mormons (I am one) tend to overstate BYU's reputation broadly. The primary advantage that BYU has is cost and a broad network of Mormons. Still, it places very well in the Mountain West region and has great federal clerk placement for as low as it is ranked. (LDS federal judges do not pull from it exclusively obviously, but I do know of at least two that have hired from it on a yearly basis. It fares well against non-LDS judges as well.)

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:28 am

Last edited by Cupidity on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:29 am

Speaking as a homosexual, I would llike to say that BYU is a shining beacon of hope and equality in the gay community. There isn't a GLBT candidate out there that wouldn't give up their sinful lifestyle for a shot at attending this prestigious law school.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:36 am

Cupidity wrote:Speaking as a homosexual, I would llike to say that BYU is a shining beacon of hope and equality in the gay community. There isn't a GLBT candidate out there that wouldn't give up their sinful lifestyle for a shot at attending this prestigious law school.

I would offer my views on their cultist mentality and ultra-conservative bigotry, but I'm trying to take the high road. I think the first word that comes to mind when most people think of Mormon is still "polygamist" even though it isn't generally true.

buckley

Postby buckley » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:37 am

I have a friend who is at BYU law in his second year and he said that it's not as competitive as he thought it would be. Overall he feels that he is receiving a great legal education and is going to work in Arizona when he graduates. He thinks a person not of the Mormon faith would do just fine there.

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:42 am

BYU Law is just like Liberty U Law (no offense intended). It's the self-segregation issue that probably forces some non-Mormon's to second guess the degree just like non-evangelicals second guess a Liberty U degree (though admittedly, Liberty is not even in the same playing field as BYU)

Either way, I'm not sure it matters depending on what you want to do. If you're looking to stay in the SLC area or Utah in general, BYU would probably be the best value by far given the cost, local prestige, and career prospects.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:51 am

shadowfrost000 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Speaking as a homosexual, I would llike to say that BYU is a shining beacon of hope and equality in the gay community. There isn't a GLBT candidate out there that wouldn't give up their sinful lifestyle for a shot at attending this prestigious law school.

I would offer my views on their cultist mentality and ultra-conservative bigotry, but I'm trying to take the high road. I think the first word that comes to mind when most people think of Mormon is still "polygamist" even though it isn't generally true.

I think Prop 8

wired

Postby wired » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:54 am

buckley wrote: He thinks a person not of the Mormon faith would do just fine there.

I think job placement he would "do just fine," but whether or not a non-Mormon will be fine with the social environment is the most important question they could ask themselves before attending.

I am a BYU undergrad right now. I know a few non-Mormons attending BYU. Some have married Mormons while here, some have converted, some are passionately against converting. The common thread in all of them is they wanted to go to a school with conservative values and they did not mind living the BYU honor code - which includes no extra-marital sex and no alcohol. For many law students, both of those would be immediate deal breakers.

I love it here at BYU. The education has been amazing. The cost of living and tuition are incredibly affordable. However, by no means do I think everyone would be fine here.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:54 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”