Cities with best Quality of Life

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best QOL

Portland
7%
Seattle
11%
Chicago
11%
Denver
9%
San Franciso
11%
Philadelphia
4%
Boston
7%
Austin
14%
NY
11%
San Diego
16%

Total votes: 493

HerseyChris

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby HerseyChris » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:20 pm

kurama20 wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that the type of people who post on TLS prefer to live in cities with as few blacks and Hispanics as possible---the only exception being NYC (and only because you can easily separate yourself from these two groups there) so that is going to be heavily reflected in the voting. It's also the reason cities like Atlanta, Houston, and Miami aren't even in the poll.

It could just be that people don't like to live where the rate of violent crime is high.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... crime_rate
Cases per 100,000 people
Seattle 627
Philadelphia 1475
New York 614
Miami 1492
San Francisco 872
Baltimore 1631
Atlanta 1624
Houston 1132

jsoell

Postby jsoell » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:20 pm

kurama20 wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that the type of people who post on TLS prefer to live in cities with as few blacks and Hispanics as possible---the only exception being NYC (and only because you can easily separate yourself from these two groups there) so that is going to be heavily reflected in the voting. It's also the reason cities like Atlanta, Houston, and Miami aren't even in the poll.

I'll be sure to let people know where I end up going so they can take into account that this whitey will be accompanied by his Guatemalan wife when he starts school. That way they can factor in another Latin American into their decision.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:22 pm

NASHVILLE

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:24 pm

kurama20 wrote:It's also the reason cities like Atlanta, Houston, and Miami aren't even in the poll.

I won't get into assuming anybody's motives ... but Atlanta should definitely be on the list. Never been to Miami. ... Houston would be fine to consider, but it's just too sprawly for me (yeah, yeah: Atlanta, too.).

Atlanta, though, I like a whole bunch. ... I like Denver and SF way more. But leaving out Atlanta (to say nothing of NY) is glaring omission, not least b/c of its low COL and the awesome laser show at Stone Mountain, where Gen. Lee & Co. ride off into glory. ... Oh. Right. That's why I'm mostly over the South.

Ragnar

Postby Ragnar » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:28 pm

I heard someone on NPR say "Ithaca is where clouds go to die."
It's always stuck with me and that is my predominant impression of the place.

M51

Postby M51 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:30 pm

lawduder wrote:

lol, you try pretty hard don't you?

+1 :lol:
that's EXACTLY what I thought when I read that.

The Zeppelin

Postby The Zeppelin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:31 pm

Matthies wrote:
biv0ns wrote:
Matthies wrote:Denver

/end thread

I've actually heard that Denver is a great city to live in. Care to elaborate?

Great weather, affordable housing, stuff to do year round, lots of parks, coll downtown and 45 mins to Keystone or 1.15 mins to Vail.

I just wish the best law school in CO wasn't located in Boulder. If only CSU had a law school...

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:31 pm

M51 wrote:
lawduder wrote:

lol, you try pretty hard don't you?

+1 :lol:
that's EXACTLY what I thought when I read that.

I mean if you are white/asian and saying that it really doesn't add any credibility at all---really it just makes it worse.

samer

Postby samer » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:34 pm

I would just like to point out that even though everyone seems to be talking about Denver, Chicago is winning in the voting :)

"I'm from a city in the Midwest. Best city in the whole wide, wide world!"

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:39 pm

samer wrote:I would just like to point out that even though everyone seems to be talking about Denver, Chicago is winning in the voting :)

I know what you said was made in good fun, but this is basically a 'which city do you live in' contest.

Also, it's a plurality instead of a bracket system. If four cities are similar (say Seattle, Denver, Portland, and SF), they'll take away votes from each other.
Whereas there is only one midwest city, though I suppose Chicago, Philly, and NY could be competing for votes.

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:50 pm

Portland gets my vote. Decent COL, hour to the beach, hour to the mounain, decent nightlife, lots of events and cool people. The only real downside is the drizzle but at least it doesn't get super cold here.

samer

Postby samer » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:50 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
samer wrote:I would just like to point out that even though everyone seems to be talking about Denver, Chicago is winning in the voting :)

I know what you said was made in good fun, but this is basically a 'which city do you live in' contest.

Also, it's a plurality instead of a bracket system. If four cities are similar (say Seattle, Denver, Portland, and SF), they'll take away votes from each other.
Whereas there is only one midwest city, though I suppose Chicago, Philly, and NY could be competing for votes.

Chicago, Philly, and NY competing for votes!?!? NYC is a crime-ridden rathole and the only cool thing about Philly is Rocky and the Fresh Prince (which is only cool because he left Philly).

All sarcasm aside, you're right. This is a city popularity contest, although I would hardly group SF, Denver, and Seattle. At any rate, Chicago is winning! haha

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:55 pm

I like Chicago alot, but the winters would suck for me, expecially when you can't go skiing or do any snowmobiling. If its gonna be cold and snow, give me mountaisn to have fun on plz

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:01 pm

Jeez. Not sure why you need to ascribe a motivation based on race. The largest legal markets are concentrated in NYC/Boston/Philly, Chicago, DC, and California. People like jobs. I think.

Personally, I'd never live in heavily "conservative"/religious state. That rules out almost everything but the Northeast, the West Coast and the Great Lakes states. Wouldn't surprise me if this was true of a lot of people and not simply us being afraid of Latinos and Blacks. I'm sure a lot of people can't stand them libruls, but have preferences that don't necessarily include the South.

EDIT: San Diego needs to be on the list. November is the sunniest month and you don't need to sell your soul to Satan to afford real estate here. It is missing a kick ass law school, however.
Last edited by rondemarino on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carlisle

Postby Carlisle » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:02 pm

i always think its weird that SF gets more love than SD. There is no comparison. SF is fine, but SD is amazing

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:03 pm

Carlisle wrote:i always think its weird that SF gets more love than SD. There is no comparison. SF is fine, but SD is amazing

Rice-a-roni.

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:10 pm

If Austin is an appropriate response then...

Chapel Hill
Ann Arbor
Knoxville
Athens
etc
etc

Big cities...Charlotte, Indianapolis, Raleigh, Nashville (middle-big markets) have the best IMO

elcielo36

Postby elcielo36 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:20 pm

Since I know we all just love USNews.....here's their selection of the "Best Places to Live" for 2009 - --LinkRemoved--

1. Albuquerque, N.M.
2. Auburn, Ala.
3. Austin, Texas
4. Boise, Idaho
5. Durham, N.C.
6. La Crosse, Wis.
7. Loveland, Colo.
8. San Luis Obispo, Calif.
9. St. Augustine, Fla.
10. Upper St. Clair, Pa.

Seriously, though...Boise?

akowis

Postby akowis » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:22 pm

Last edited by akowis on Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:25 pm

Auburn = The Georgia-Alabama taint. What a joke.

Then again, I'm not fairly considering its proximity to LaGrange and Columbus.

academiccricket

Postby academiccricket » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:27 pm

Boston 0% 0% [ 0 ]

haha, suck it boston.

DannyJames

Postby DannyJames » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:28 pm

I've been to 47 of 50 states (Navy brat), lived in more than 10 states...San Diego is by far the best place i can imagine ending up

Edit: Encinitas, CA is my ultimate goal (just outside SD area)

elcielo36

Postby elcielo36 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:46 pm

akowis wrote:
elcielo36 wrote:Since I know we all just love USNews.....here's their selection of the "Best Places to Live" for 2009 - --LinkRemoved--

1. Albuquerque, N.M.
2. Auburn, Ala.
3. Austin, Texas
4. Boise, Idaho
5. Durham, N.C.
6. La Crosse, Wis.
7. Loveland, Colo.
8. San Luis Obispo, Calif.
9. St. Augustine, Fla.
10. Upper St. Clair, Pa.

Seriously, though...Boise?

Wat's taters, precious?

LMAO. Boil 'em mash 'em stick 'em in a stew!

Carlisle

Postby Carlisle » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:49 pm

DannyJames wrote:I've been to 47 of 50 states (Navy brat), lived in more than 10 states...San Diego is by far the best place i can imagine ending up

Edit: Encinitas, CA is my ultimate goal (just outside SD area)

exactly. i think i would prefer coronado, but encinitas or del mar would be great. also, parts of escondido or poway that overlook the lake are prime.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:54 pm

Kretzy wrote:As long as you stay away from LoDo, the only quasi-douchey part of downtown, the city proper itself is amazing.

Been here five years only been forced to go down to Lodo a half a dozen imes, hated each one. Douchville, well not as bad as Highlands Ranch, but close

Return to “Choosing a Law School”