Cities with best Quality of Life

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best QOL

Portland
7%
Seattle
11%
Chicago
11%
Denver
9%
San Franciso
11%
Philadelphia
4%
Boston
7%
Austin
14%
NY
11%
San Diego
16%

Total votes: 493

anthonyc350

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby anthonyc350 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:12 am

Jules Winnfield wrote:
SpaceDawg wrote:Have you met like 5 black guys?

Probably not. But he did say one time that his best friend is black...

black best friend=being black

anthonyc350

Postby anthonyc350 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:14 am

SimplyC26 wrote:
fenderjsm88 wrote:
samer wrote:Chicago:
Gorgeous seasons. Lake Michigan. Great Downtown. Cool areas to live like Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, Streeterville, Gold Coast, etc. Great sports town as far as we have all the sports you would want, not necessarily that we're great at all (or any) of them. Winters can be a little rough, but the summers are great. Not as expensive as LA or NYC but the salaries will be about the same so you get "more bang for your buck" if you will.

Da Bears

Just spent the winter in Chicago. I disagree. And apparently this was a relatively mild winter...

+1 I currently live in Chicago and can't wait to leave. Not only does the weather suck, but the sales tax rate is one of the highest in the nation. Furthermore, crime is high and every part of the city that is halfway decent is quite expensive.

lol @ chi being expensive, for all its offerings its actually quite cheap.

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:14 am

anthonyc350 wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:

I'm not so sure about that. But, the way James Bond said it (meaning, time and place) was suspicious to say the least.

anthonyc350

Postby anthonyc350 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:21 am

haha yeah I was poking fun at 007. I'll make sure to tell black people in Philly that they should be "cooler" like black people elsewhere.

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:39 am

fenderjsm88 wrote:
samer wrote:Chicago:
Gorgeous seasons. Lake Michigan. Great Downtown. Cool areas to live like Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, Streeterville, Gold Coast, etc. Great sports town as far as we have all the sports you would want, not necessarily that we're great at all (or any) of them. Winters can be a little rough, but the summers are great. Not as expensive as LA or NYC but the salaries will be about the same so you get "more bang for your buck" if you will.

Da Bears

Just spent the winter in Chicago. I disagree. And apparently this was a relatively mild winter...

The fact that you have to live in the same city that Da Bears play in is more than enough reason to write Chicago off as a crappy city.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:40 am

rondemarino wrote:Can you reasonably expect more than a couple of people on TLS to have lived in enough of the aforementioned to cities so as to form a mildly educated opinion on each city's QoL? I've lived in San Fran and Philly. Prefer San Fran, but for all I know Portland and Chicago are better places to live. It'd probably be more useful to survey some other sourc that actually figures out a way to make some reasonable assessment of each of cities' QoL.

Those cities are like, my two favorite.

superflush

Postby superflush » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:55 pm

:?
Last edited by superflush on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

logicman86

Postby logicman86 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:57 pm

rondemarino wrote:Can you reasonably expect more than a couple of people on TLS to have lived in enough of the aforementioned to cities so as to form a mildly educated opinion on each city's QoL? I've lived in San Fran and Philly. Prefer San Fran, but for all I know Portland and Chicago are better places to live. It'd probably be more useful to survey some other sourc that actually figures out a way to make some reasonable assessment of each of cities' QoL.

You are assuming one's insight is only useful if they've lived in all of the listed cities. Your choice of SF over Philly can be plenty useful to others as well.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:55 pm

Vancouver.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:28 pm

SpaceDawg wrote:
Yes. You must have limited experience with Philadelphia. When I moved here from NYC I was surprised how friendly everyone was, how many fantastic restaurants there were and how affordable the housing was. It's far from perfect but it has come a long way in the last 10 years. And honestly, I don't think I've ever been to a port that didn't smell. Have you met like 5 black guys?

Apparently you missed the winky face. Philly is a shithole and literally every black person I've met there is shit while black people I know from all over the country are awesome, but the answer to my "Coincidence?" question is "No shit it's a coincidence." The internet's not that serious, dawg

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:30 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:
anthonyc350 wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:

I'm not so sure about that. But, the way James Bond said it (meaning, time and place) was suspicious to say the least.

Pretty sure I backed it up with pics on multiple occasions :P

and pretty sure some moron told me that I really wasn't friends with a black person because my best friend's actually from africa not america

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:01 pm

James Bond wrote:
Pretty sure I backed it up with pics on multiple occasions :P

and pretty sure some moron told me that I really wasn't friends with a black person because my best friend's actually from africa not america

Haha! Blatant anti-A Pimp Named Slickback trolling.
Last edited by Jules Winnfield on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavebat2000

Postby cavebat2000 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:03 pm

ROFL at NY being a top choice for QoL.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:21 pm

San Francisco is the best. Sure it can be expensive, but having the beach, desert, snow, and forest within a 4 hour driving radius is pretty awesome. Also, the weather kicks the crap out of most of the other cities listed.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:24 pm

TLS has a pretty strong NY bias as evinced by the POLL. lol

One of you NY people--in all your glory--please explain to me how NY has the best QOL? Is this assuming you earn 250K/yr+?

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:19 am

NYC is the last place I would want to live. I would rather live in Philly, even with it's shitty people.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:30 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:San Francisco is the best. Sure it can be expensive, but having the beach, desert, snow, and forest within a 4 hour driving radius is pretty awesome. Also, the weather kicks the crap out of most of the other cities listed.

It has more homeless people and drug users in any square mile than any other big city I've been to, except for maybe DC, which also has homeless but much fewer open drug users. It's also perpetually windier than most other big cities. If you get rid of the "people" that live there, then maybe it has a shot.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:31 am

Negrodamus wrote:TLS has a pretty strong NY bias as evinced by the POLL. lol

One of you NY people--in all your glory--please explain to me how NY has the best QOL? Is this assuming you earn 250K/yr+?

You don't have to earn 250k a year to enjoy NYC. I'm making not even a fifth of that, and I still love the city. The fact is, New York is the center of so many great and diverse aspects of cultural life (the arts, music, dance, publishing, journalism, music again etc) and most people can benefit from these directly or indirectly. That said, there's a lot it lacks. It's crowded and dirty. If you don't make a shit ton of money, you probably won't be able to own a place (unless you want to own a three family apartment building with rent controlled tenants in Bushwick or Bed-Stuy), and will be a renter and commuter for most of you life. It lacks natural beauty and accessibility to non-urban areas. However, after being in NYC for awhile, it becomes very difficult to respect most other places. While you might not always enjoy your life here, you can atleast rest assured that it's better than life elsewhere.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:17 am

fortissimo wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:San Francisco is the best. Sure it can be expensive, but having the beach, desert, snow, and forest within a 4 hour driving radius is pretty awesome. Also, the weather kicks the crap out of most of the other cities listed.

It has more homeless people and drug users in any square mile than any other big city I've been to, except for maybe DC, which also has homeless but much fewer open drug users. It's also perpetually windier than most other big cities. If you get rid of the "people" that live there, then maybe it has a shot.

Um, yeah but you're presupposing that our homeless people are a negative. Case in point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Famous_Bushman. Regarding the drugs, not hard to avoid. Regarding the wind, it's worth having it the first time you watch a visiting shortstop muff a pop up in person.

jsoell

Postby jsoell » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:38 am

ccs224 wrote:

You don't have to earn 250k a year to enjoy NYC. I'm making not even a fifth of that, and I still love the city. The fact is, New York is the center of so many great and diverse aspects of cultural life (the arts, music, dance, publishing, journalism, music again etc) and most people can benefit from these directly or indirectly. That said, there's a lot it lacks. It's crowded and dirty. If you don't make a shit ton of money, you probably won't be able to own a place (unless you want to own a three family apartment building with rent controlled tenants in Bushwick or Bed-Stuy), and will be a renter and commuter for most of you life. It lacks natural beauty and accessibility to non-urban areas. However, after being in NYC for awhile, it becomes very difficult to respect most other places. While you might not always enjoy your life here, you can atleast rest assured that it's better than life elsewhere.

I had to laugh at that one - a stereotypically New Yorker thing to say.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:53 am

SD= terrible sports teams?

haven't the chargers made the playoffs the past few years now? And as far as support charger fans may be lame but I challenge you to go 5 minutes in sd without seeing an LT jersey.

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:14 am

I feel like New Haven should be on the list just so that it can get zero votes :)

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:54 am

ccs224 wrote:

I couldn't have said it better myself. :mrgreen:

anthonyc350

Postby anthonyc350 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:14 am

san diego fans are the most fairweather fans I've ever seen. They couldn't sell out football games for a really long time, resulting in television blackouts. Then the city promised to buy remaining tickets and even less people showed up driving the cities deficits through the roof.

Eazy E

Postby Eazy E » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:09 pm

[quote="ccs224"]
You don't have to earn 250k a year to enjoy NYC. I'm making not even a fifth of that, and I still love the city. The fact is, New York is the center of so many great and diverse aspects of cultural life (the arts, music, dance, publishing, journalism, music again etc) and most people can benefit from these directly or indirectly. That said, there's a lot it lacks. It's crowded and dirty. If you don't make a shit ton of money, you probably won't be able to own a place (unless you want to own a three family apartment building with rent controlled tenants in Bushwick or Bed-Stuy), and will be a renter and commuter for most of you life. It lacks natural beauty and accessibility to non-urban areas. However, after being in NYC for awhile, it becomes very difficult to respect most other places. While you might not always enjoy your life here, you can atleast rest assured that it's better than life elsewhere.[/quote]

I LOL'd. Reminds me of the Bay Area attitude: even though we're all broke, we'll NEVER leave.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”