Cities with best Quality of Life

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best QOL

Portland
33
7%
Seattle
54
11%
Chicago
54
11%
Denver
44
9%
San Franciso
56
11%
Philadelphia
18
4%
Boston
36
7%
Austin
67
14%
NY
54
11%
San Diego
77
16%
 
Total votes: 493

User avatar
ccs224
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby ccs224 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:58 pm

James Bond wrote:As an American I intrinsically understand why Canada blows, but what's wrong with Oz?


Who the hell knows? And that's the problem. No one goes there and no one gets out, except for maybe a once in a lifetime trip either way. It's like saying that the Moon is a great place to live.

That said, knowing nothing about Australia, I cannot imagine that Perth could seriously be considered one of the best places in the world to live. Nor Helsinki for that matter.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby General Tso » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:20 pm

ccs224 wrote:
James Bond wrote:As an American I intrinsically understand why Canada blows, but what's wrong with Oz?


Who the hell knows? And that's the problem. No one goes there and no one gets out, except for maybe a once in a lifetime trip either way. It's like saying that the Moon is a great place to live.

That said, knowing nothing about Australia, I cannot imagine that Perth could seriously be considered one of the best places in the world to live. Nor Helsinki for that matter.


Did you read the methodology? The big factors favoring places like Canada and Finland are:
Healthcare (20%)
Stability (25%) - this is a blend of crime rating and political instability/threat of conflict
Infrastructure (20%) - which gives bonus points for public transit.

America is sure to be behind most major European + Aus/NZ in all of these categories. Japan and Korea probably would have scored higher if not for the whole NK threat.

http://www.eiu.com/site_info.asp?info_n ... page=noads

User avatar
SpaceDawg
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:59 am

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby SpaceDawg » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:24 pm

James Bond wrote:
SpaceDawg wrote:
James Bond wrote:I <3 that philthadelphia is last in the poll. what a dump



Don't you live in Pittsburgh?


I have. I don't currently. And either way it doesn't mean I'm in love with the place. And while Pittsburgh's pretty boring when it comes to cities, the quality of life there is actually pretty high.


I'm not talking shit about Pittsburgh, there are some cool parts. But it didn't make it on the list. You are constantly degrading Philly but never about anything substantial. Just wondered why.

User avatar
SpaceDawg
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:59 am

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby SpaceDawg » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:25 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:Not to invoke the spirit of Kurama20 (but I will probably end up doing anyways), I find it interesting that the US cities that are options in the poll are, for the most part, quite white/asian whereas other cities worthy of consideration, and happen to have sizeable black/latino populations, are brushed aside/left out.

Examples:
DC---how is this not on the list of options? it's the nation's capitol! oh, i forgot, because it's Chocolate city and it probably doesn't help that a black man's in the White House

Atlanta---how can one not appreciate it's relatively low COL, nightlife and quality of living?

Miami---the beaches, nightlife, the women. c'mon, if Will Smith can make a song about, it can't be too bad.

All great places to live but share one thing in common---populated heavily by blacks/latinos.

It makes no sense that nobody will vouch for them/include them as options while obscure places, like Charlottesville and Boise, are being talked about.

This is stupid.


I consider DC to be pretty white.

User avatar
SpaceDawg
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:59 am

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby SpaceDawg » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:27 pm

ccs224 wrote:
James Bond wrote:As an American I intrinsically understand why Canada blows, but what's wrong with Oz?


Who the hell knows? And that's the problem. No one goes there and no one gets out, except for maybe a once in a lifetime trip either way. It's like saying that the Moon is a great place to live.

That said, knowing nothing about Australia, I cannot imagine that Perth could seriously be considered one of the best places in the world to live. Nor Helsinki for that matter.


Perth is beautiful and laid-back. Helsinki is too cold for me to visit!

User avatar
Jules Winnfield
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby Jules Winnfield » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:33 pm

SpaceDawg wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:Not to invoke the spirit of Kurama20 (but I will probably end up doing anyways), I find it interesting that the US cities that are options in the poll are, for the most part, quite white/asian whereas other cities worthy of consideration, and happen to have sizeable black/latino populations, are brushed aside/left out.

Examples:
DC---how is this not on the list of options? it's the nation's capitol! oh, i forgot, because it's Chocolate city and it probably doesn't help that a black man's in the White House

Atlanta---how can one not appreciate it's relatively low COL, nightlife and quality of living?

Miami---the beaches, nightlife, the women. c'mon, if Will Smith can make a song about, it can't be too bad.

All great places to live but share one thing in common---populated heavily by blacks/latinos.

It makes no sense that nobody will vouch for them/include them as options while obscure places, like Charlottesville and Boise, are being talked about.

This is stupid.


I consider DC to be pretty white.



ULTIMATE FAIL. DC is called "Chocolate city" for a reason.

User avatar
SpaceDawg
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:59 am

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby SpaceDawg » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:35 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:
SpaceDawg wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:Not to invoke the spirit of Kurama20 (but I will probably end up doing anyways), I find it interesting that the US cities that are options in the poll are, for the most part, quite white/asian whereas other cities worthy of consideration, and happen to have sizeable black/latino populations, are brushed aside/left out.

Examples:
DC---how is this not on the list of options? it's the nation's capitol! oh, i forgot, because it's Chocolate city and it probably doesn't help that a black man's in the White House

Atlanta---how can one not appreciate it's relatively low COL, nightlife and quality of living?

Miami---the beaches, nightlife, the women. c'mon, if Will Smith can make a song about, it can't be too bad.

All great places to live but share one thing in common---populated heavily by blacks/latinos.

It makes no sense that nobody will vouch for them/include them as options while obscure places, like Charlottesville and Boise, are being talked about.

This is stupid.


I consider DC to be pretty white.



ULTIMATE FAIL. DC is called "Chocolate city" for a reason.


Yes, I get the Chocolate City reference. And I used to live there. However, DC is very segregated. And the places where many people on this site would live seems to me to be extremely white.

User avatar
thegovernor
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:00 am

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby thegovernor » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:47 pm

betasteve wrote:This thread is flawed without Dallas.


That sums it up.

User avatar
thegovernor
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:00 am

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby thegovernor » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:50 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:Not to invoke the spirit of Kurama20 (but I will probably end up doing anyways), I find it interesting that the US cities that are options in the poll are, for the most part, quite white/asian whereas other cities worthy of consideration, and happen to have sizeable black/latino populations, are brushed aside/left out.

Examples:
DC---how is this not on the list of options? it's the nation's capitol! oh, i forgot, because it's Chocolate city and it probably doesn't help that a black man's in the White House

Atlanta---how can one not appreciate it's relatively low COL, nightlife and quality of living?

Miami---the beaches, nightlife, the women. c'mon, if Will Smith can make a song about, it can't be too bad.

All great places to live but share one thing in common---populated heavily by blacks/latinos.

It makes no sense that nobody will vouch for them/include them as options while obscure places, like Charlottesville and Boise, are being talked about.

This is stupid.


Miami is the ****hole of America. Sorry but it's humid, grossly high crime rate, more people without a high school degree that with a high school degree (by a huge margin), and it just sucks in general.

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby coolkatz321 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:21 pm

betasteve wrote:This thread is flawed without Dallas.


This is "Best" QoL, not "Shittiest."

Rory1987
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:37 pm

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby Rory1987 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:44 pm

KimmyGibbler wrote:
GeePee wrote:Austin, TX is really the only credited response to this question. The city is clean, beautiful, fun, and not that expensive. Plus the nightlife is awesome.

If I were strongly considering a school in the 15-30 range UT would be at the top of my list.

Oh, and +1 to Philly. The city is sort of expensive, and not all that great. Doesn't make for great QOL... there's a reason why most of the nice Philly suburbs are actually in South Jersey.


This clown obviously has no idea what he is talking about. The nicest suburbs of Philly are in the Main Line, where Villanova is. South Jersey is a giant McMansion-riddled wasteland.


Or in Chester or Montgomery counties. South Jersey blows. That guy is an idiot.

Rory1987
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:37 pm

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby Rory1987 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:45 pm

kurama20 wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that the type of people who post on TLS prefer to live in cities with as few blacks and Hispanics as possible---the only exception being NYC (and only because you can easily separate yourself from these two groups there) so that is going to be heavily reflected in the voting. It's also the reason cities like Atlanta, Houston, and Miami aren't even in the poll.


True. And why Philly gets shit on :(

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby James Bond » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:56 pm

Rory1987 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that the type of people who post on TLS prefer to live in cities with as few blacks and Hispanics as possible---the only exception being NYC (and only because you can easily separate yourself from these two groups there) so that is going to be heavily reflected in the voting. It's also the reason cities like Atlanta, Houston, and Miami aren't even in the poll.


True. And why Philly gets shit on :(


Philly doesn't get shit on because of black people. Philly gets shit on because the port smells, the city's dirty, and the people, in general, suck.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby James Bond » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:58 pm

James Bond wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that the type of people who post on TLS prefer to live in cities with as few blacks and Hispanics as possible---the only exception being NYC (and only because you can easily separate yourself from these two groups there) so that is going to be heavily reflected in the voting. It's also the reason cities like Atlanta, Houston, and Miami aren't even in the poll.


True. And why Philly gets shit on :(


Philly doesn't get shit on because of black people. Philly gets shit on because the port smells, the city's dirty, and the people, in general, suck.


To be fair though, every black guy from philly I've met sucks really bad too and is usually shady as all hell. Every black guy from EVERY other city I've met is real chill. Coincidence?

User avatar
ccs224
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby ccs224 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:01 pm

James Bond wrote:
James Bond wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that the type of people who post on TLS prefer to live in cities with as few blacks and Hispanics as possible---the only exception being NYC (and only because you can easily separate yourself from these two groups there) so that is going to be heavily reflected in the voting. It's also the reason cities like Atlanta, Houston, and Miami aren't even in the poll.


True. And why Philly gets shit on :(


Philly doesn't get shit on because of black people. Philly gets shit on because the port smells, the city's dirty, and the people, in general, suck.


To be fair though, every black guy from philly I've met sucks really bad too and is usually shady as all hell. Every black guy from EVERY other city I've met is real chill. Coincidence?


Oh jesus.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby General Tso » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:28 pm

James Bond wrote:To be fair though, every black guy from philly I've met sucks really bad too and is usually shady as all hell. Every black guy from EVERY other city I've met is real chill. Coincidence?


yes, very fair assessment indeed :|

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby James Bond » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:06 pm

ccs224 wrote:
James Bond wrote:
James Bond wrote:Philly doesn't get shit on because of black people. Philly gets shit on because the port smells, the city's dirty, and the people, in general, suck.


To be fair though, every black guy from philly I've met sucks really bad too and is usually shady as all hell. Every black guy from EVERY other city I've met is real chill. Coincidence?


Oh jesus.


:wink:

User avatar
Jules Winnfield
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby Jules Winnfield » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:20 pm

thegovernor wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:Not to invoke the spirit of Kurama20 (but I will probably end up doing anyways), I find it interesting that the US cities that are options in the poll are, for the most part, quite white/asian whereas other cities worthy of consideration, and happen to have sizeable black/latino populations, are brushed aside/left out.

Examples:
DC---how is this not on the list of options? it's the nation's capitol! oh, i forgot, because it's Chocolate city and it probably doesn't help that a black man's in the White House

Atlanta---how can one not appreciate it's relatively low COL, nightlife and quality of living?

Miami---the beaches, nightlife, the women. c'mon, if Will Smith can make a song about, it can't be too bad.

All great places to live but share one thing in common---populated heavily by blacks/latinos.

It makes no sense that nobody will vouch for them/include them as options while obscure places, like Charlottesville and Boise, are being talked about.

This is stupid.


Miami is the ****hole of America. Sorry but it's humid, grossly high crime rate, more people without a high school degree that with a high school degree (by a huge margin), and it just sucks in general.



Says the TLS poster with a Texas redneck in his avatar...

User avatar
SpaceDawg
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:59 am

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby SpaceDawg » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:11 pm

James Bond wrote:
James Bond wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that the type of people who post on TLS prefer to live in cities with as few blacks and Hispanics as possible---the only exception being NYC (and only because you can easily separate yourself from these two groups there) so that is going to be heavily reflected in the voting. It's also the reason cities like Atlanta, Houston, and Miami aren't even in the poll.


True. And why Philly gets shit on :(


Philly doesn't get shit on because of black people. Philly gets shit on because the port smells, the city's dirty, and the people, in general, suck.


To be fair though, every black guy from philly I've met sucks really bad too and is usually shady as all hell. Every black guy from EVERY other city I've met is real chill. Coincidence?


Yes. You must have limited experience with Philadelphia. When I moved here from NYC I was surprised how friendly everyone was, how many fantastic restaurants there were and how affordable the housing was. It's far from perfect but it has come a long way in the last 10 years. And honestly, I don't think I've ever been to a port that didn't smell. Have you met like 5 black guys?

User avatar
fenderjsm88
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby fenderjsm88 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:50 pm

samer wrote:Chicago:
Gorgeous seasons. Lake Michigan. Great Downtown. Cool areas to live like Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, Streeterville, Gold Coast, etc. Great sports town as far as we have all the sports you would want, not necessarily that we're great at all (or any) of them. Winters can be a little rough, but the summers are great. Not as expensive as LA or NYC but the salaries will be about the same so you get "more bang for your buck" if you will.

Da Bears


Just spent the winter in Chicago. I disagree. And apparently this was a relatively mild winter...

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby Lawl Shcool » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:00 am

Cleveland isn't on the list? weak.....

User avatar
fenderjsm88
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby fenderjsm88 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:02 am

anthonyc350 wrote:Being from San Diego, if you picked SD you probably have never lived there...

#1. There is no public transportation and everything is spread out, if you dont have a car you're f*****
#2. Cultural stuff outside of Balboa Park is very limited, not a whole lot to do in town unless you like hanging out with 30+ at overpriced bars.
#3. Sports teams are awful with little support.
#4. COL is really high for a smaller city.
#5. Suburban sprawl (el cajon, lemon grove, chula vista) etc. really ugly
#6. Can't go to TJ anymore.


Give me DC, NYC, Philly, Boston anyday!

San Diego is a nice city, but its not the best


The grass always looks greener. I've lived most of my life in the DC area and I can't wait to get to California!

User avatar
anthonyc350
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby anthonyc350 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:09 am

I've lived elsewhere though, I just think if you're into the beach and really laid back San Diego is fine. Culture and sports: best to look elsewhere


For me, places like Wrigleyville beat out a day at the dirty over-crowded San Diego beaches 24/7 snow sleet rain or shine.
Last edited by anthonyc350 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jules Winnfield
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby Jules Winnfield » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:09 am

SpaceDawg wrote:Have you met like 5 black guys?


Probably not. But he did say one time that his best friend is black...

SimplyC26
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:14 pm

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby SimplyC26 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:11 am

fenderjsm88 wrote:
samer wrote:Chicago:
Gorgeous seasons. Lake Michigan. Great Downtown. Cool areas to live like Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, Streeterville, Gold Coast, etc. Great sports town as far as we have all the sports you would want, not necessarily that we're great at all (or any) of them. Winters can be a little rough, but the summers are great. Not as expensive as LA or NYC but the salaries will be about the same so you get "more bang for your buck" if you will.

Da Bears


Just spent the winter in Chicago. I disagree. And apparently this was a relatively mild winter...



+1 I currently live in Chicago and can't wait to leave. Not only does the weather suck, but the sales tax rate is one of the highest in the nation. Furthermore, crime is high and every part of the city that is halfway decent is quite expensive.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest