Cities with best Quality of Life

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best QOL

Portland
7%
Seattle
11%
Chicago
11%
Denver
9%
San Franciso
11%
Philadelphia
4%
Boston
7%
Austin
14%
NY
11%
San Diego
16%

Total votes: 493

superflush

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Postby superflush » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:41 am

HerseyChris wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:Anyone picking a city other than San Diego has probably never been there. Its only drawback is cost of living.

Yes because everyone loves the same things.
Some people do not like driving. Or traffic.
Some people dislike Hollywood.

While you make a good point. San Diego isn't Hollywood. And the traffic isn't that bad in SD.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:46 am

How is Columbus not on this list?

/Ohiotrolling

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:38 pm

NYC: everyone's favorite city that no one can afford to live in.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:06 pm

HerseyChris sounds like a tard. A tard that probably hasn't been to San Diego.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:32 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:HerseyChris sounds like a tard. A tard that probably hasn't been to San Diego.

Some of who aren't from a desert enjoy the change in seasons. I love San Diego too but I'm not sure I want to live there. I'd be afraid I'd become one of those whiny Californians who bitches when the weather isn't perfect and can't function in rain, cold, or snow.

ihatethelsat

Postby ihatethelsat » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:12 pm

ISLA VISTA!

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:09 pm

ihatethelsat wrote:ISLA VISTA!

Step 1) find a thread no one has posted in in at least 4 months
Step 2) Contribute nothing of value to said thread, but resurrect it anyway

anthonyc350

Postby anthonyc350 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:26 pm

Being from San Diego, if you picked SD you probably have never lived there...

#1. There is no public transportation and everything is spread out, if you dont have a car you're f*****
#2. Cultural stuff outside of Balboa Park is very limited, not a whole lot to do in town unless you like hanging out with 30+ at overpriced bars.
#3. Sports teams are awful with little support.
#4. COL is really high for a smaller city.
#5. Suburban sprawl (el cajon, lemon grove, chula vista) etc. really ugly
#6. Can't go to TJ anymore.

Give me DC, NYC, Philly, Boston anyday!

San Diego is a nice city, but its not the best

anthonyc350

Postby anthonyc350 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:38 pm

And Madison>Austin 25/8 366

Geesh106

Postby Geesh106 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:48 pm

Minneapolis. Everything Austin has, plus 4 seasons.

And Pittsburgh. Urban savviness, w/out an overwhelming metroplex.

I live in L.A., have for 12 years. Honestly, unless you're a multi-millionaire actor, it sucks.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:59 pm

Last edited by irishman86 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:25 pm

I <3 that philthadelphia is last in the poll. what a dump

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:00 pm

the correct answer to the poll should be "NONE OF THE ABOVE"

Top 10 cities
Rank Country City Rating
1 Canada Vancouver 98.0
2 Austria Vienna 97.9
3 Australia Melbourne 97.5
4 Canada Toronto 97.2
5 Canada Calgary 96.6
6 Finland Helsinki 96.2
7 Australia Sydney 96.1
8= Australia Perth 95.9
8= Australia Adelaide 95.9
10 New Zealand Auckland 95.7
http://www.eiu.com/site_info.asp?info_n ... noads&rf=0

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:02 pm

swheat wrote:the correct answer to the poll should be "NONE OF THE ABOVE"

Top 10 cities
Rank Country City Rating
1 Canada Vancouver 98.0
2 Austria Vienna 97.9
4 Canada Toronto 97.2
5 Canada Calgary 96.6
6 Finland Helsinki 96.2
7 Australia Sydney 96.1
8= Australia Perth 95.9

This list is very helpful for prospective American law students.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:03 pm

James Bond wrote:I <3 that philthadelphia is last in the poll. what a dump

Don't you live in Pittsburgh?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:05 pm

Pearalegal wrote:

Top 10 cities
Rank Country City Rating
1 Canada Vancouver 98.0
2 Austria Vienna 97.9
4 Canada Toronto 97.2
5 Canada Calgary 96.6
6 Finland Helsinki 96.2
7 Australia Sydney 96.1
8= Australia Perth 95.9

This list is very helpful for prospective American law students.

Yes it is! Save up and get the hell out.

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:08 pm

Not to invoke the spirit of Kurama20 (but I will probably end up doing anyways), I find it interesting that the US cities that are options in the poll are, for the most part, quite white/asian whereas other cities worthy of consideration, and happen to have sizeable black/latino populations, are brushed aside/left out.

Examples:
DC---how is this not on the list of options? it's the nation's capitol! oh, i forgot, because it's Chocolate city and it probably doesn't help that a black man's in the White House

Atlanta---how can one not appreciate it's relatively low COL, nightlife and quality of living?

Miami---the beaches, nightlife, the women. c'mon, if Will Smith can make a song about, it can't be too bad.

All great places to live but share one thing in common---populated heavily by blacks/latinos.

It makes no sense that nobody will vouch for them/include them as options while obscure places, like Charlottesville and Boise, are being talked about.

This is stupid.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:15 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:Not to invoke the spirit of Kurama20 (but I will probably end up doing anyways), I find it interesting that the US cities that are options in the poll are, for the most part, quite white/asian whereas other cities worthy of consideration, and happen to have sizeable black/latino populations, are brushed aside/left out.

Examples:
DC---how is this not on the list of options? it's the nation's capitol! oh, i forgot, because it's Chocolate city and it probably doesn't help that a black man's in the White House

Atlanta---how can one not appreciate it's relatively low COL, nightlife and quality of living?

Miami---the beaches, nightlife, the women. c'mon, if Will Smith can make a song about, it can't be too bad.

All great places to live but share one thing in common---populated heavily by blacks/latinos.

It makes no sense that nobody will vouch for them/include them as options while obscure places, like Charlottesville and Boise, are being talked about.

This is stupid.

You make a good point...DC and ATL are nearly as good as any of the cities in this list. The only thing for me is that the climates are bad in those two cities. I am not sure it was a racially motivated oversight...Chicago, LA, NYC, Philly and SF are all on the list and all of them are full of minorities.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:19 pm

SpaceDawg wrote:
James Bond wrote:I <3 that philthadelphia is last in the poll. what a dump

Don't you live in Pittsburgh?

I have. I don't currently. And either way it doesn't mean I'm in love with the place. And while Pittsburgh's pretty boring when it comes to cities, the quality of life there is actually pretty high.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:21 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:Not to invoke the spirit of Kurama20 (but I will probably end up doing anyways), I find it interesting that the US cities that are options in the poll are, for the most part, quite white/asian whereas other cities worthy of consideration, and happen to have sizeable black/latino populations, are brushed aside/left out.

Examples:

This is stupid.

While I think you're going a bit far with the whole race thing, for what it's worth, DC, ATL, and Miami are three of my FAVORITE cities and I'm pretty white bread

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:24 pm

Thank you, Bond. I'd just be happy with at least one of them as options. They each have their own respective merits.

SimplyC26

Postby SimplyC26 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:30 pm

Examples:

This is stupid.

I agree with you in the sense that each of the cities that you listed are all great places (imo). That said I could also see how these cities could be viewed negatively by some. In South Florida being bilingual is almost a necessity, this is probably a huge deterrent to some. DC has high crime, a ridiculously expensive housing market, and fairly or unfairly has a reputation of being a challenging area to raise a family. Atlanta also has high crime and one of the nation's highest HIV rates.

My personal list (in no order):

Dallas
Austin
DC/Northern Virginia
Virginia Beach
Seattle
Bay Area
San Diego

js87

Postby js87 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:41 pm

James Bond wrote:

Examples:

This is stupid.

While I think you're going a bit far with the whole race thing, for what it's worth, DC, ATL, and Miami are three of my FAVORITE cities and I'm pretty white bread

Ugh, Miami is terrible.

I've lived in South Florida for awhile, including Miami for a bit, and I cannot wait to get out. It's oppressively hot and humid all year round, making it miserable to go anywhere. It's not a 'real' city like most of the others listed. In other words, there's no discernible city core. You can't walk around, take public transit, enjoy public parks like NYC or or DC, etc. You NEED a car to get around, even in the most dense areas that pass for "urban" in the "city". Of course, traffic is horrendous because the roads were never built to handle that level of traffic. Downtown is primarily a business district full of parking garages. By 8:00 PM it's abandoned except for a very large homeless population.

The infrastructure is terrible, public services are a joke, and the violent crime rate is high. There are pretty limited white collar, professional career options. Also, I love a culturally diverse city. I love that aspect of NYC and DC, but in Miami, it's different. In my personal experience in Miami, if you're not bilingual you are very much marginalized. I could go on for pages, but I don't want to bore everyone with a rant :|

But I will agree that DC seems great. I was very set on going to NYC for law school, but after visiting DC a few times I fell in love with it.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:52 pm

Top 10 cities
Rank Country City Rating
1 Canada Vancouver 98.0
2 Austria Vienna 97.9
4 Canada Toronto 97.2
5 Canada Calgary 96.6
6 Finland Helsinki 96.2
7 Australia Sydney 96.1
8= Australia Perth 95.9

Any ranking that is dominated by Canada (ha!) and Australia obviously has some serious flaws in its methodology.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:54 pm

ccs224 wrote:

Top 10 cities
Rank Country City Rating
1 Canada Vancouver 98.0
2 Austria Vienna 97.9
4 Canada Toronto 97.2
5 Canada Calgary 96.6
6 Finland Helsinki 96.2
7 Australia Sydney 96.1
8= Australia Perth 95.9

Any ranking that is dominated by Canada (ha!) and Australia obviously has some serious flaws in its methodology.

As an American I intrinsically understand why Canada blows, but what's wrong with Oz?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”