Cities with best Quality of Life Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best QOL

Portland
7%
Seattle
11%
Chicago
11%
Denver
9%
San Franciso
11%
Philadelphia
4%
Boston
7%
Austin
13%
NY
11%
San Diego
15%

Total votes: 497

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Cities with best Quality of Life

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:47 pm

Renzo wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:How the hell is nobody talking about Charlottesville in this thread? Or is it one of those things where you exclude the obviously best city? "City with best QOL other than Charlottesville", in the same way you might ask who the "best boxer other than Mohammed Ali" is. :D

I voted for Austin as the best city other than Charlottesville in QOL, myself.
Blatant Dixiland trolling. Too hot/swampy.
Swampy? What? Have you been to Charlottesville?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:11 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Renzo wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:How the hell is nobody talking about Charlottesville in this thread? Or is it one of those things where you exclude the obviously best city? "City with best QOL other than Charlottesville", in the same way you might ask who the "best boxer other than Mohammed Ali" is. :D

No. But Reston is too muggy, and I can't see that 70 miles would change the climate that much. Though, to be fair, I think the whole eastern seaboard south of Maine is too muggy in the summer.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:33 pm

Renzo wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Renzo wrote:

No. But Reston is too muggy, and I can't see that 70 miles would change the climate that much. Though, to be fair, I think the whole eastern seaboard south of Maine is too muggy in the summer.
Actually it makes a big difference. We're further from the coast and up closer to the mountains, it makes a real difference. It's muggy here in the summer, but that drops off quickly during the school year, it's definitely not swampy like the DC area. Right now it's 80% humidity in Reston and 57% humidity here in Charlottesville.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:38 pm

vanwinkle wrote: No. But Reston is too muggy, and I can't see that 70 miles would change the climate that much. Though, to be fair, I think the whole eastern seaboard south of Maine is too muggy in the summer.
Actually it makes a big difference. We're further from the coast and up closer to the mountains, it makes a real difference. It's muggy here in the summer, but that drops off quickly during the school year, it's definitely not swampy like the DC area. Right now it's 80% humidity in Reston and 57% humidity here in Charlottesville.[/quote]

OK, I'll admit the possibility that the weather is tolerable. But I'm not quite ready to except Charlottesville belongs in the poll...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:45 pm

Renzo wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Renzo wrote: No. But Reston is too muggy, and I can't see that 70 miles would change the climate that much. Though, to be fair, I think the whole eastern seaboard south of Maine is too muggy in the summer.
Actually it makes a big difference. We're further from the coast and up closer to the mountains, it makes a real difference. It's muggy here in the summer, but that drops off quickly during the school year, it's definitely not swampy like the DC area. Right now it's 80% humidity in Reston and 57% humidity here in Charlottesville.
OK, I'll admit the possibility that the weather is tolerable. But I'm not quite ready to except Charlottesville belongs in the poll...
http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=158

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kilo

New

Post by kilo » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:29 pm

I would rule out Austin because Texas ****ing sucks. I know Austin is more liberal and progressive from the rest of Texas, but it still is full of and surrounded by Texans and Southerners.

I believe the only time I was in SF I was too young to remember so I'm no use there. It is definitely somewhere I want to live assuming people are down to earth and you can fit in if you're not rich/yuppie.

I think Chicago has a nice mix of diversity, nightlife, things to do, transportation options, shopping, eating, different types of people and affordable housing compared to coastal cities.

As for Denver, Colorado is a great looking state, but especially with the suburbs it reminded me of the sprawl and non existant culture/history of somewhere in Atlanta or Texas.

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:55 am

Seattle's now 2nd after NY. YES!!!

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:02 am

Philadelphia is still last, as it should be

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:12 am

biv0ns wrote:Philadelphia is still last, as it should be
With just 5 votes. The 2nd fewest having 11.
Philly should just be off the list, I don't know who'd want to live there over Chicago or NY, though I don't know who'd want to live in Portland over Seattle. Seattle is a bigger city with less rain, though it does have more traffic.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:51 pm

am i the only one who is very very upset that san diego doesn't have a t30 law school?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:53 pm

imisscollege wrote:am i the only one who is very very upset that san diego doesn't have a t30 law school?
No, because who could afford to live there?

Kant

Bronze

Post by Kant » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:55 pm

biv0ns wrote:
KimmyGibbler wrote:
biv0ns wrote:Anyone who voted for Philadelphia's an assclown. The city's a dump.
Philly actually has a very vibrant and active gay community; so, judging by your avatar, you would probably like it there.
...so because I have Bond as my avatar I'm a homosexual and I would like Philadelphia?

logic fail?

Only on the philly part

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:58 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
imisscollege wrote:am i the only one who is very very upset that san diego doesn't have a t30 law school?
No, because who could afford to live there?
Even in dorms at the law school? I applied anyway and told USD I would seriously consider them if they basically gave me a full ride (but not in those words). Even at a full ride though I don't know if I could justify the decision to go with my #'s.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OMG IDK TITCR

New

Post by OMG IDK TITCR » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:26 pm

Just have to say I'm a little surprised nobody has put in two cents for Minneapolis yet. I left Minnesota for undergrad and haven't moved back because weather is a huge factor for me, and I much prefer sunny and hot. But there still is a soft spot in my heart for Minneapolis. Great people, music venues, restaurants & bars, and scenery. And, perhaps most important in this particular discussion-- a top 20 law school.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:02 pm

Seattle FTW!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:37 pm

OMG IDK TITCR wrote:Just have to say I'm a little surprised nobody has put in two cents for Minneapolis yet. I left Minnesota for undergrad and haven't moved back because weather is a huge factor for me, and I much prefer sunny and hot. But there still is a soft spot in my heart for Minneapolis. Great people, music venues, restaurants & bars, and scenery. And, perhaps most important in this particular discussion-- a top 20 law school.
Dood, you answered your own question. Why not just move to the north pole?

glacierfrost

Bronze

Post by glacierfrost » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:54 pm

Chicago? Isn't it extremely cold, windy, and dry in the winter and then extremely humid in the summer? Sounds like terrible weather and I would not want to live there. California weather pwns all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:53 am

Woo hoo! The western states are claiming their rightful place at the top of the poll!

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:01 am

HerseyChris wrote:
Philly should just be off the list, I don't know who'd want to live there over Chicago or NY, though I don't know who'd want to live in Portland over Seattle. Seattle is a bigger city with less rain, though it does have more traffic.
I'd much rather live/work in Philly than either NYC (pain in the ass to get anywhere, too crowded, too expensive) or Chicago (same bad points, only colder) but I will admit that I may be in the minority on that point. I prefer a fairly compact urban area so I can stay safely in the suburbs and not have it take an eternity to get where I want to go in the city.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:58 am

This poll is blatant anti-Birmingham, AL trolling.

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:26 pm

rondemarino wrote:
Carlisle wrote:are we talking about quality vs cost of life? anywhere is pretty great if you are rich. i would rather be middle class is milwaukee than middle class in SF.
I'll take middle class in SF over millionaire in Mississppi.

EDIT: However, I do agree on the Milwaukee/SF choice.
I like Mississippi.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:27 pm

pany1985 wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
I'd much rather live/work in Philly than either NYC (pain in the ass to get anywhere, too crowded, too expensive) or Chicago (same bad points, only colder) but I will admit that I may be in the minority on that point. I prefer a fairly compact urban area so I can stay safely in the suburbs and not have it take an eternity to get where I want to go in the city.
Yep. Philly's a cool town. There's a reason that obnoxiously hip Brooklynites have been migrating down here for the past five years.

el_gaucho

New

Post by el_gaucho » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:50 pm

I kind of like Baltimore. At the end of the day, I have a lot friends and family here, and I pretty much hang out at the same few bars and restaurants. I can't imagine it would be all that much different anywhere else, be it Chicago, New York, or LA. I mean, when I go to NYC or something, sure, I'm on vacation and I pack my days full of things to do, but when you live somewhere, it's not quite the same. I've lived in Buenos Aires and Montreal, both of which are large cities with a lot going on (at least compared to Baltimore), and I loved them, but 99% of the time I was too busy to appreciate anything beyond my family and friends anyway. And even there I'd generally go to the same few places. It just gets comfortable. I have a better time when I go on vacation there now, as I'm always experiencing new things. Plus, I think that the nice thing about Baltimore is the general lack of traffic (which is nice for the daily grind) and some absolutely beautiful areas in Baltimore County. To each his own, I suppose.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:52 pm

biggamejames wrote:
pany1985 wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:
Yep. Philly's a cool town. There's a reason that obnoxiously hip Brooklynites have been migrating down here for the past five years.
There is a reason: Suck tends to aggregate.

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:55 pm

Renzo wrote:There is a reason: Suck tends to aggregate.
I always thought that was the explanation for Midtown Manhattan.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”