Michigan State Full Ride

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby robin600 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:57 pm

DannyJames wrote:
robin600 wrote:MSU law is shitty. Everyone who goes to MSU undergrad is encouraged not to apply there unless your numbers are so low you can't get in anywhere else. If you're looking to practice in Michigan and get into UMich, Wayne is your best option because that's where all the Detroit folks hire from. A lot of MSU law grads get hired in the grand rapids area because you get less competition from the Detroit crowd. That's my opinion.


Grand Rapids is one of the only areas in the state actually doing well...doesn't sound too bad of an option. And who at MSU is doing this "encouraging" to go elsewhere? The school is newer, thus some challenges are present (aside from it being in Michigan), but it is not a shitty school.


Yes I do go to MSU and all of my professors who have been to law school highly advise against going to MSU, it's not the best school in the state to go for any employment in the state and it is behind UMich and WSU. Grand Rapids is the only part of the state that is hiring (unemployment here is almost 20%) and it hires only the top 10-25% of MSU grads going for UMich and WSU grads that can't get the mid size law in Detroit.

Rocketman11 wrote:
DannyJames wrote:
robin600 wrote:MSU law is shitty. Everyone who goes to MSU undergrad is encouraged not to apply there unless your numbers are so low you can't get in anywhere else. If you're looking to practice in Michigan and get into UMich, Wayne is your best option because that's where all the Detroit folks hire from. A lot of MSU law grads get hired in the grand rapids area because you get less competition from the Detroit crowd. That's my opinion.


Grand Rapids is one of the only areas in the state actually doing well...doesn't sound too bad of an option. And who at MSU is doing this "encouraging" to go elsewhere? The school is newer, thus some challenges are present (aside from it being in Michigan), but it is not a shitty school.


+1

This thread is a great example of how people on TLS post just ignorant shit as fact.

And you're the perfect example of how people on TLS act like know it alls and stuck up bitches. You can call me ignorant all you want but when you graduate from MSU Law and have no job prospects besides court appointed contract cases in Grand Rapids then you'll realize my logic. MSU is not a great school. PS- and it's not up and coming, it's been around for awhile it just now joined MSU (it used to be the Detroit College of Law) and there might be a slight increase in rankings, but it's established just now with a Univ. name attached to it. Why would you want to go to law school in MI anyways when the unemployment rate is sky high here?

User avatar
DannyJames
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 am

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby DannyJames » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:17 pm

robin600 wrote:Yes I do go to MSU and all of my professors who have been to law school highly advise against going to MSU, it's not the best school in the state to go for any employment in the state and it is behind UMich and WSU. Grand Rapids is the only part of the state that is hiring (unemployment here is almost 20%) and it hires only the top 10-25% of MSU grads going for UMich and WSU grads that can't get the mid size law in Detroit.

And you're the perfect example of how people on TLS act like know it alls and stuck up bitches. You can call me ignorant all you want but when you graduate from MSU Law and have no job prospects besides court appointed contract cases in Grand Rapids then you'll realize my logic. MSU is not a great school. PS- and it's not up and coming, it's been around for awhile it just now joined MSU (it used to be the Detroit College of Law) and there might be a slight increase in rankings, but it's established just now with a Univ. name attached to it. Why would you want to go to law school in MI anyways when the unemployment rate is sky high here?


1. Im an MSU grad, i know the school has been around as various names, that does not mean it is not gaining recognition and status now that it has a university name...brand recognition is the name of the game

2. Have you checked the bar passage rates for MSU lately?

3. Your logic is flawed given you call it a POS school based on what some professors have said...and how many professors have provided you with this insight about the school that employs them? For all the people on here quick to bash any school outside the T14, many will agree that MSU is on the rise as a whole.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby robin600 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:31 pm

DannyJames wrote:
robin600 wrote:Yes I do go to MSU and all of my professors who have been to law school highly advise against going to MSU, it's not the best school in the state to go for any employment in the state and it is behind UMich and WSU. Grand Rapids is the only part of the state that is hiring (unemployment here is almost 20%) and it hires only the top 10-25% of MSU grads going for UMich and WSU grads that can't get the mid size law in Detroit.

And you're the perfect example of how people on TLS act like know it alls and stuck up bitches. You can call me ignorant all you want but when you graduate from MSU Law and have no job prospects besides court appointed contract cases in Grand Rapids then you'll realize my logic. MSU is not a great school. PS- and it's not up and coming, it's been around for awhile it just now joined MSU (it used to be the Detroit College of Law) and there might be a slight increase in rankings, but it's established just now with a Univ. name attached to it. Why would you want to go to law school in MI anyways when the unemployment rate is sky high here?


1. Im an MSU grad, i know the school has been around as various names, that does not mean it is not gaining recognition and status now that it has a university name...brand recognition is the name of the game

2. Have you checked the bar passage rates for MSU lately?

3. Your logic is flawed given you call it a POS school based on what some professors have said...and how many professors have provided you with this insight about the school that employs them? For all the people on here quick to bash any school outside the T14, many will agree that MSU is on the rise as a whole.


Yes their bar passage rate went up to 85%, wow! I'm not calling it a POS school based on what professors have said, I'm basing it on employment prospects for MSU grads, they aren't good. My professors know many law graduates and are JD's themselves who are still practicing and they say the job market for MSU grads is quite grim. I'd say that makes them pretty reliable. I'm just saying consider other options first, this should be your last resort. It's a shitty school to go to if you want to have a chance at getting a good job, especially in Michigan (where you will most likely be stuck working in if you graduate from there). MSU is on a slight rise and nothing extraordinary, similar to PSU. You're best bets are Mich and Wayne. MSU is third in line, and in this economy it means you're still waiting for handouts. Maybe in 10-15 years it will be better, but for now it's not likely.

Look I'm giving my opinion based on my knowledge that's not just made up. If you don't agree with me it's fine, but there's no need to call me ignorant when I have just as much of a case as you do.

User avatar
misformafia
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby misformafia » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:44 pm

robin600 wrote:
DannyJames wrote:
robin600 wrote:Yes I do go to MSU and all of my professors who have been to law school highly advise against going to MSU, it's not the best school in the state to go for any employment in the state and it is behind UMich and WSU. Grand Rapids is the only part of the state that is hiring (unemployment here is almost 20%) and it hires only the top 10-25% of MSU grads going for UMich and WSU grads that can't get the mid size law in Detroit.

And you're the perfect example of how people on TLS act like know it alls and stuck up bitches. You can call me ignorant all you want but when you graduate from MSU Law and have no job prospects besides court appointed contract cases in Grand Rapids then you'll realize my logic. MSU is not a great school. PS- and it's not up and coming, it's been around for awhile it just now joined MSU (it used to be the Detroit College of Law) and there might be a slight increase in rankings, but it's established just now with a Univ. name attached to it. Why would you want to go to law school in MI anyways when the unemployment rate is sky high here?


1. Im an MSU grad, i know the school has been around as various names, that does not mean it is not gaining recognition and status now that it has a university name...brand recognition is the name of the game

2. Have you checked the bar passage rates for MSU lately?

3. Your logic is flawed given you call it a POS school based on what some professors have said...and how many professors have provided you with this insight about the school that employs them? For all the people on here quick to bash any school outside the T14, many will agree that MSU is on the rise as a whole.


Yes their bar passage rate went up to 85%, wow! I'm not calling it a POS school based on what professors have said, I'm basing it on employment prospects for MSU grads, they aren't good. My professors know many law graduates and are JD's themselves who are still practicing and they say the job market for MSU grads is quite grim. I'd say that makes them pretty reliable. I'm just saying consider other options first, this should be your last resort. It's a shitty school to go to if you want to have a chance at getting a good job, especially in Michigan (where you will most likely be stuck working in if you graduate from there). MSU is on a slight rise and nothing extraordinary, similar to PSU. You're best bets are Mich and Wayne. MSU is third in line, and in this economy it means you're still waiting for handouts. Maybe in 10-15 years it will be better, but for now it's not likely.

Look I'm giving my opinion based on my knowledge that's not just made up. If you don't agree with me it's fine, but there's no need to call me ignorant when I have just as much of a case as you do.



It's definitely rough in MI right now. I'm from Metro-Detroit, and I got the F out for law school. I'd love to go back someday, but only with a job. I have two good buddies at MSU law, and they love it, but that doesn't mean they'll have jobs in 2.5 years.

User avatar
DannyJames
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 am

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby DannyJames » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:47 pm

robin600 wrote:Yes their bar passage rate went up to 85%, wow!

Look I'm giving my opinion based on my knowledge that's not just made up. If you don't agree with me it's fine, but there's no need to call me ignorant when I have just as much of a case as you do.


http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/index.php/2/asc/LawSchool/2009

Found this write up as well...

Class of '09 First-Time Test-Takers Passed at a 95 Percent Rate

East Lansing, MI – Michigan State University College of Law recently announced the passage rate of Spring 2009 graduates who took the Michigan Bar examination for the first time in July. Reported results show 95 percent of MSU Law Spring '09 graduates passed the Michigan Bar examination (before appeals), which was the highest passage rate among law schools in Michigan, and well above the state's 88 percent average.

"The College is extremely pleased with this high bar passage rate," Dean Joan Howarth said. "These results affirm the credentials and work ethic of our students, the academic rigor of our program, and the dedication of our faculty. It also indicates that the Class of '09 will have an exciting future as they enter the legal profession."

Comprehensive results from other states across the country have not been released at this time. However, for the 31 first-time test takers in the state of Illinois, 100 percent of MSU Law graduates passed. In addition to Illinois, 100 percent of '09 graduates passed the following state bar examinations: Colorado, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah and Wisconsin. They will be practicing in many specialty areas such as intellectual property, corporate law, trial practice, alternative dispute resolution, international law, public interest law, and health law.



just food for thought...i'm not advocating for attending MSU, as i will not be going back to michigan with the economy the way it is. no school guarantees work after graduation...

User avatar
jne381
AIPAC Chairman's Council Donor
Posts: 5749
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:38 pm

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby jne381 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:48 pm

As a 1L at MSU, I can tell you that it is certainly not a shitty law school. I am also on full tuition scholarship, and I do not know of anyone that also receives a stipend, and that includes the King Scholarship recipients. The requirement for me to retain my scholarship is a 3.0. However, 52% of the class is on some sort of scholarship, so everyone is working their asses off to keep them, so I would never expect to just finish in the top of the class just because you have high admission numbers.

As far as MSU Law up and coming, I assume that it is. The new dean was instrumental in making UNLV rise so quickly, and I see what she is doing at MSU and believe that it is bound to follow that example. Programs put in place since last year have made MSU's bar passage rates the highest in MI for first time takers, and I see a lot of emphasis this year on career planning. I also have to believe that the massive amount of scholarships being handed out have to draw students with better scores than it did in the past. The law school is still technically private, but that may be a benefit because it is currently insulated from the MI budget cuts. Coupled with the affiliation with a large research university, I can only assume that is will rise in the rankings.

As far as Grand Rapids goes, I really like Grand Rapids, and most of Michigan really, although most of my experiences are in western and northern Michigan. It is a beautiful state and you do not need a huge salary to live extremely comfortable here. The people are fairly pleasant (albeit a bit provincial), but quite nice on the whole.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby robin600 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:53 pm

DannyJames wrote:
robin600 wrote:Yes their bar passage rate went up to 85%, wow!

Look I'm giving my opinion based on my knowledge that's not just made up. If you don't agree with me it's fine, but there's no need to call me ignorant when I have just as much of a case as you do.


http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/index.php/2/asc/LawSchool/2009

Found this write up as well...

Class of '09 First-Time Test-Takers Passed at a 95 Percent Rate

East Lansing, MI – Michigan State University College of Law recently announced the passage rate of Spring 2009 graduates who took the Michigan Bar examination for the first time in July. Reported results show 95 percent of MSU Law Spring '09 graduates passed the Michigan Bar examination (before appeals), which was the highest passage rate among law schools in Michigan, and well above the state's 88 percent average.

"The College is extremely pleased with this high bar passage rate," Dean Joan Howarth said. "These results affirm the credentials and work ethic of our students, the academic rigor of our program, and the dedication of our faculty. It also indicates that the Class of '09 will have an exciting future as they enter the legal profession."

Comprehensive results from other states across the country have not been released at this time. However, for the 31 first-time test takers in the state of Illinois, 100 percent of MSU Law graduates passed. In addition to Illinois, 100 percent of '09 graduates passed the following state bar examinations: Colorado, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah and Wisconsin. They will be practicing in many specialty areas such as intellectual property, corporate law, trial practice, alternative dispute resolution, international law, public interest law, and health law.



just food for thought...i'm not advocating for attending MSU, as i will not be going back to michigan with the economy the way it is. no school guarantees work after graduation...

Goddammit! I meant to type 95%, now i just look like more of a jackass! Still 95% is the standard in MI at UM and Wayne (well Wayne was a little less but in range).

User avatar
DannyJames
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 am

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby DannyJames » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:55 pm

robin600 wrote:
DannyJames wrote:
robin600 wrote:Yes their bar passage rate went up to 85%, wow!

Look I'm giving my opinion based on my knowledge that's not just made up. If you don't agree with me it's fine, but there's no need to call me ignorant when I have just as much of a case as you do.


http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/index.php/2/asc/LawSchool/2009

Found this write up as well...

Class of '09 First-Time Test-Takers Passed at a 95 Percent Rate

East Lansing, MI – Michigan State University College of Law recently announced the passage rate of Spring 2009 graduates who took the Michigan Bar examination for the first time in July. Reported results show 95 percent of MSU Law Spring '09 graduates passed the Michigan Bar examination (before appeals), which was the highest passage rate among law schools in Michigan, and well above the state's 88 percent average.

"The College is extremely pleased with this high bar passage rate," Dean Joan Howarth said. "These results affirm the credentials and work ethic of our students, the academic rigor of our program, and the dedication of our faculty. It also indicates that the Class of '09 will have an exciting future as they enter the legal profession."

Comprehensive results from other states across the country have not been released at this time. However, for the 31 first-time test takers in the state of Illinois, 100 percent of MSU Law graduates passed. In addition to Illinois, 100 percent of '09 graduates passed the following state bar examinations: Colorado, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah and Wisconsin. They will be practicing in many specialty areas such as intellectual property, corporate law, trial practice, alternative dispute resolution, international law, public interest law, and health law.



just food for thought...i'm not advocating for attending MSU, as i will not be going back to michigan with the economy the way it is. no school guarantees work after graduation...

Goddammit! I meant to type 95%, now i just look like more of a jackass! Still 95% is the standard in MI at UM and Wayne (well Wayne was a little less but in range).

User avatar
Rocketman11
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:32 am

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby Rocketman11 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:01 pm

robin600 wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:+1

This thread is a great example of how people on TLS post just ignorant shit as fact.

And you're the perfect example of how people on TLS act like know it alls and stuck up bitches. You can call me ignorant all you want but when you graduate from MSU Law and have no job prospects besides court appointed contract cases in Grand Rapids then you'll realize my logic. MSU is not a great school. PS- and it's not up and coming, it's been around for awhile it just now joined MSU (it used to be the Detroit College of Law) and there might be a slight increase in rankings, but it's established just now with a Univ. name attached to it. Why would you want to go to law school in MI anyways when the unemployment rate is sky high here?


Logic? what logic? you state that "everyone who goes to MSU undergrad is encouraged not to apply there." Really? Everyone? Anyone who spend more than an hour studying for the LSAT should know that absolutes like everyone are not flexible in their definition.

You also seem to imply that GR is a terrible place to end up as rationale for why MSU is bad. Many people have already stated this, but news flash: GR is the nicest major city in Michigan right now. I never would have guessed you've even visited the state of Michigan had you not said you go to MSU UG.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby robin600 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:08 pm

Our graduates continue
to lead the way on the Michigan Bar
Examination, consistently passing on their
first try at a rate significantly higher than
the statewide average. Our graduates also
earn average starting salaries higher than
the majority of law schools nationwide
(The National Jurist).
wsu website

Ahem, in range of 95%

Excuse me you're right, I should have said, everyone with a decent LSAT score and GPA is encouraged not to apply (didn't I say that?), and I said by my professors, not everyone at MSU. If it's your only option/last resort/can't get into wayne go there. GR is the best place for any employment in MI right now, but it's not the greatest legal market in the state, it's second to detroit. I've lived in MI all my life, I'm from the GR area, I think it's OK, but Lansing is my fave.

Damn why is everyone so flippin pissy today?
Last edited by robin600 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby robin600 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:09 pm

Just quoted myself, when trying to edit above post. Sorry!

User avatar
DannyJames
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 am

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby DannyJames » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:17 pm

robin600 wrote:
Our graduates continue
to lead the way on the Michigan Bar
Examination, consistently passing on their
first try at a rate significantly higher than
the statewide average. Our graduates also
earn average starting salaries higher than
the majority of law schools nationwide
(The National Jurist).
wsu website

Ahem, in range of 95%

Excuse me you're right, I should have said, everyone with a decent LSAT score and GPA is encouraged not to apply, and I said by my professors, not everyone at MSU. If it's your only option/last resort/can't get into wayne go there. GR is the best place for any employment in MI right now, but it's not the greatest legal market in the state, it's second to detroit. I've lived in MI all my life, I'm from the GR area, I think it's OK, but Lansing is my fave.

Damn why is everyone so flippin pissy today?


WSU = 92.2% , i'll be pissy about the nearly 3% difference because i am not sure i like you

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby robin600 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:20 pm

DannyJames wrote:
robin600 wrote:
Our graduates continue
to lead the way on the Michigan Bar
Examination, consistently passing on their
first try at a rate significantly higher than
the statewide average. Our graduates also
earn average starting salaries higher than
the majority of law schools nationwide
(The National Jurist).
wsu website

Ahem, in range of 95%

Excuse me you're right, I should have said, everyone with a decent LSAT score and GPA is encouraged not to apply, and I said by my professors, not everyone at MSU. If it's your only option/last resort/can't get into wayne go there. GR is the best place for any employment in MI right now, but it's not the greatest legal market in the state, it's second to detroit. I've lived in MI all my life, I'm from the GR area, I think it's OK, but Lansing is my fave.

Damn why is everyone so flippin pissy today?


WSU = 92.2% , i'll be pissy about the nearly 3% difference because i am not sure i like you


LOL, can't we all just have different opinions here? There's no need for hatin' just debatin'. Didn't mean to offend anyone and sorry if I have. I'm going to go have a beer, anyone care to join?

User avatar
DannyJames
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 am

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby DannyJames » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:28 pm

robin600 wrote:
DannyJames wrote:
robin600 wrote:
Our graduates continue
to lead the way on the Michigan Bar
Examination, consistently passing on their
first try at a rate significantly higher than
the statewide average. Our graduates also
earn average starting salaries higher than
the majority of law schools nationwide
(The National Jurist).
wsu website

Ahem, in range of 95%

Excuse me you're right, I should have said, everyone with a decent LSAT score and GPA is encouraged not to apply, and I said by my professors, not everyone at MSU. If it's your only option/last resort/can't get into wayne go there. GR is the best place for any employment in MI right now, but it's not the greatest legal market in the state, it's second to detroit. I've lived in MI all my life, I'm from the GR area, I think it's OK, but Lansing is my fave.

Damn why is everyone so flippin pissy today?


WSU = 92.2% , i'll be pissy about the nearly 3% difference because i am not sure i like you


LOL, can't we all just have different opinions here? There's no need for hatin' just debatin'


the opinion to go or not to go is fine. as i've said, i don't recommend going there, but it's based on MICHIGAN as a whole, not the school. every number you've given has been a bit off, and that irks me when you're challenging the quality of a school...and try to take a better approach than "it's a shitty school" especially considering you attend for UG

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby robin600 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:37 pm

WSU = 92.2% , i'll be pissy about the nearly 3% difference because i am not sure i like you[/quote]

LOL, can't we all just have different opinions here? There's no need for hatin' just debatin'[/quote]

the opinion to go or not to go is fine. as i've said, i don't recommend going there, but it's based on MICHIGAN as a whole, not the school. every number you've given has been a bit off, and that irks me when you're challenging the quality of a school...and try to take a better approach than "it's a shitty school" especially considering you attend for UG[/quote]

I think it's not a good school= that's my opinion. It's a shitty school for employment prospects. Hell anywhere outside the T14 is in this economy. MSU is a regional school so you need to base some of your decision on MI as a whole. My numbers weren't that off considering they were from the top of my head and what I've heard from my professors. I knew they were somewhat close to what I've said, nothing was a huge difference. Plus UG is totally different from LS (although MSU isn't the greatest UG in rankings but it's not bad either). Next time I will make sure I get it right to the third decimal.

User avatar
DannyJames
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 am

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby DannyJames » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:48 pm

robin600 wrote:WSU = 92.2% , i'll be pissy about the nearly 3% difference because i am not sure i like you


LOL, can't we all just have different opinions here? There's no need for hatin' just debatin'[/quote]

the opinion to go or not to go is fine. as i've said, i don't recommend going there, but it's based on MICHIGAN as a whole, not the school. every number you've given has been a bit off, and that irks me when you're challenging the quality of a school...and try to take a better approach than "it's a shitty school" especially considering you attend for UG[/quote]

I think it's not a good school= that's my opinion. It's a shitty school for employment prospects. Hell anywhere outside the T14 is in this economy. MSU is a regional school so you need to base some of your decision on MI as a whole. My numbers weren't that off considering they were from the top of my head and what I've heard from my professors. I knew they were somewhat close to what I've said, nothing was a huge difference. Plus UG is totally different from LS (although MSU isn't the greatest UG in rankings but it's not bad either). Next time I will make sure I get it right to the third decimal.[/quote]


schools outside the T14 is regional for the most part. a wrong number is a wrong number. and if you're sitting at a computer and can't take the time to get factual information, you deserve to get dinged on it.

and what T14 will you be attending?

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby robin600 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:54 pm

DannyJames wrote:
robin600 wrote:WSU = 92.2% , i'll be pissy about the nearly 3% difference because i am not sure i like you


LOL, can't we all just have different opinions here? There's no need for hatin' just debatin'


the opinion to go or not to go is fine. as i've said, i don't recommend going there, but it's based on MICHIGAN as a whole, not the school. every number you've given has been a bit off, and that irks me when you're challenging the quality of a school...and try to take a better approach than "it's a shitty school" especially considering you attend for UG[/quote]

I think it's not a good school= that's my opinion. It's a shitty school for employment prospects. Hell anywhere outside the T14 is in this economy. MSU is a regional school so you need to base some of your decision on MI as a whole. My numbers weren't that off considering they were from the top of my head and what I've heard from my professors. I knew they were somewhat close to what I've said, nothing was a huge difference. Plus UG is totally different from LS (although MSU isn't the greatest UG in rankings but it's not bad either). Next time I will make sure I get it right to the third decimal.[/quote]


schools outside the T14 is regional for the most part. a wrong number is a wrong number. and if you're sitting at a computer and can't take the time to get factual information, you deserve to get dinged on it.

and what T14 will you be attending?[/quote]

I do believe I said in range isn't a 3% difference a little dumb to be arguing over? Dude I'm not being bitchy or advocating that it's T14 or nothing. I don't like MSU's law school and I gave my opinion. I don't understand why you're down my throat. I'M SORRY AND I DIDN'T MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE i really just think that MSU is not a good school in Michigan to attend. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so blunt, and in the future I will phrase in lighter terms. Again I meant no offense by what I said, just stating my opinion. I don't want to pick a fight! I'M SORRY!!!!! damn

User avatar
DannyJames
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 am

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby DannyJames » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:04 pm

dude, there's no argument. you posted wrong numbers more than once while sitting at a computer with information readily available. I don't believe anyone is offended, just curious as to your views being as founded as you claim they are. everyone is welcome to an opinion, questions have simply been raised as to how valid your criticisms are. no "hatin'" as you like to say, just open dialogue, just like you wanted

Philaw
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby Philaw » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:45 pm

Cooley anyone? lol. I applied to MSU, sounds great.

User avatar
DannyJames
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 am

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby DannyJames » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:29 pm

Philaw wrote:Cooley anyone? lol. I applied to MSU, sounds great.


good luck!

User avatar
Rocketman11
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:32 am

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby Rocketman11 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:44 pm

robin600 wrote:
I think it's not a good school= that's my opinion. It's a shitty school for employment prospects. Hell anywhere outside the T14 is in this economy. MSU is a regional school so you need to base some of your decision on MI as a whole. My numbers weren't that off considering they were from the top of my head and what I've heard from my professors. I knew they were somewhat close to what I've said, nothing was a huge difference. Plus UG is totally different from LS (although MSU isn't the greatest UG in rankings but it's not bad either). Next time I will make sure I get it right to the third decimal.


Anyone who things T14 magically gets you employment is just under the spell of TLS. Sorry. Example: it's no secret to any regulars that I work in DC in the lobbying realm. If T14 is such a sure thing, why do I have PMs in my inbox of people from T6 schools (not even T14... T6) telling me they don't have jobs and want help getting connected in DC for non-firm jobs?

Doesn't sound like MSU's prospects are much worse than T14. The difference is when you can go to MSU for free vs. a T14 at sticker, you're rolling the dice - and it only costs $150,000 a roll.

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby irishman86 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:12 am

.
Last edited by irishman86 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby Alexandria » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:11 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:Doesn't sound like MSU's prospects are much worse than T14.


OK, seriously? The fact that there are some 3Ls at T14s without jobs and also some 3Ls at MSU without jobs means MSU's prospects aren't much worse than T14?

That is crazy.

I (3L at Mich) definitely have friends without jobs. I even have one friend with a 3.8 GPA and no job (not an issue of not knowing how to act). However, I have many, many more friends with jobs. And many of them have jobs that even those at the very top of their class at MSU would have a very hard time getting.

(There's also the fact that many public sector jobs are only starting hiring now or in the spring. It is normal for many 3Ls who want to do public interest not to have jobs at this time of year. Many of those Michigan students will also get jobs that would be much harder for even the top MSU students to get.)

User avatar
jne381
AIPAC Chairman's Council Donor
Posts: 5749
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:38 pm

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby jne381 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:18 pm

irishman86 wrote:No school below the T14 is worth paying any amount of money for. With a full-ride, who knows. T-14 does not guarantee a job, but honestly the only school I'd consider attending in Michigan is the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.

That said, I probably would not attend any school anywhere below the top 20 for free, because the legal field is on its way out and it's hard enough competing as it is with the numerous law grads we have each year in America. The situation is just going to get worse. Nothing against MSU. I wouldn't go to Hastings or any other regional school below the top 20 or so in any other state for free either, particularly in light of the fact that the US unemployment rate is 10%+ with no hope of improving any time soon.


Gee, you would actually consider going to U of M. That is mighty white of you. :roll:

The legal field is on the way out!? That is really amazing since the law effects almost every aspect of our lives.

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Postby irishman86 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:09 pm

jne381 wrote:
irishman86 wrote:No school below the T14 is worth paying any amount of money for. With a full-ride, who knows. T-14 does not guarantee a job, but honestly the only school I'd consider attending in Michigan is the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.

That said, I probably would not attend any school anywhere below the top 20 for free, because the legal field is on its way out and it's hard enough competing as it is with the numerous law grads we have each year in America. The situation is just going to get worse. Nothing against MSU. I wouldn't go to Hastings or any other regional school below the top 20 or so in any other state for free either, particularly in light of the fact that the US unemployment rate is 10%+ with no hope of improving any time soon.


Gee, you would actually consider going to U of M. That is mighty white of you. :roll:

The legal field is on the way out!? That is really amazing since the law effects almost every aspect of our lives.


U of Michigan-Ann Arbor is one of my top choices...As for the legal field being on its way out - They are outsourcing legal jobs believe it or not, and the field has experienced a major contraction that probably won't be remedied any time soon. I wouldn't go to any school below the top 20 because frankly the competition is too tough as it is. (The supply far outweighs the demand.)




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests