Michigan State Full Ride Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tarheel87

Bronze

Michigan State Full Ride

Post by tarheel87 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:38 pm

At a recent law fair I stopped by Michigan State's booth since my dad went there for undergrad and the lady told me I would almost certainly get full tuition with stipend. Would that even be worth applying for? Especially in this economy, I wonder what that resulting degree would do for me. Should I even look into it?

BrendanD

New

Re: Michigan State Full Ride

Post by BrendanD » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:40 pm

Could you tell me your numbers? I would strongly consider a full ride from State.

EDIT: Nevermind, saw your profile.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:49 pm

BrendanD wrote:Could you tell me your numbers? I would strongly consider a full ride from State.

On what grounds?
Not that I'm challenging you but that I'm curious.

BrendanD

New

Post by BrendanD » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:52 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
BrendanD wrote:Could you tell me your numbers? I would strongly consider a full ride from State.

On what grounds?
On what grounds would I consider it? Because I'm in Michigan and it would be $1XXXXX cheaper than UMich. But I'm waiting a year or two to apply, so who knows what job prospects will be like in 4-5 years.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:24 pm

tarheel87 wrote:Especially in this economy, I wonder what that resulting degree would do for me. Should I even look into it?
If you want to stay in Michigan, I'm sure it would be great. But I have a hunch that you wouldn't want to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JayTal

Bronze

Post by JayTal » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:27 pm

I just received a call from the Dean today informing me that I had been given a full ride and that the letter was soon to follow. If you're interested in staying in MI (which I'm not) it be worth considering. MSU is an up-and-coming law school, and should break into the Tier one in the next decade.

BrendanD

New

Post by BrendanD » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:29 pm

deadpanic wrote:
tarheel87 wrote:Especially in this economy, I wonder what that resulting degree would do for me. Should I even look into it?
If you want to stay in Michigan, I'm sure it would be great. But I have a hunch that you wouldn't want to.
Maybe. Regardless, I'd like to know what it takes to pull a full ride at all the nearby schools.

yabbadabbado

Bronze

Post by yabbadabbado » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Careful. That full ride comes with GPA strings and if you miss the target gpa by even .1, your scholarship is bye bye after the first year. Law school is not like undergrad. Grades are unpredictable (curved, harsher grading than UG) and the whole reason they have this system is so they can lure in higher numbers and then yank a bunch of the scholarships after 1L.

MSU is a regional school. The degree isn't going to travel that well. Even if it's ranking rises, it will still be a regional school.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:56 pm

BrendanD wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:

On what grounds?
On what grounds would I consider it? Because I'm in Michigan and it would be $1XXXXX cheaper than UMich. But I'm waiting a year or two to apply, so who knows what job prospects will be like in 4-5 years.
I understand that cost of attendance is a major consideration but I thought you might be privy to some information that I hadn't considered.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:25 pm

deadpanic wrote:
Yeah I wouldn't want to stay in Michigan but still it would be hard to turn down FREE. I'm thinking I'm just not gonna apply.

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:33 pm

from what I understand - wayne state university is better than MSU for michigan jobs

this has come from a couple attorneys and one that recruits attorneys for some firm, forgot which one...if ur going to stay in michigan try WSU, if MSU throws a full ride your way, I would imagine WSU would...I went to WSU undergrad though - if WSU gave me a full ride and an extra 100K to boot, I wouldn't attend simply because of how dreary it is down there...i hated it...

the law schools in michigan as I rank them...1. UMich 2. WSU 3. MSU 4. UMich's Medical School 5. University of Detroit Mercy 18. Cooley/Ave Maria

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:29 pm

tarheel87 wrote:
deadpanic wrote:
Yeah I wouldn't want to stay in Michigan but still it would be hard to turn down FREE. I'm thinking I'm just not gonna apply.
Nice John Hartford avatar BTW. Bluegrass fans need not apply to MI.

Jones, Dow

Bronze

Post by Jones, Dow » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:32 pm

tarheel87 wrote:
deadpanic wrote:
you could get a full ride (or close) at some much better schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:38 pm

yabbadabbado wrote:Careful. That full ride comes with GPA strings and if you miss the target gpa by even .1, your scholarship is bye bye after the first year. Law school is not like undergrad. Grades are unpredictable (curved, harsher grading than UG) and the whole reason they have this system is so they can lure in higher numbers and then yank a bunch of the scholarships after 1L.

MSU is a regional school. The degree isn't going to travel that well. Even if it's ranking rises, it will still be a regional school.

+1. Schools outside T1 are known for doing a good job clawing back scholarships after year 1 (section stacking, high GPA requirements, etc...). If you're going to accept money at this mills, just assume that you'll be paying for the last two years.

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:03 pm

deadpanic wrote:
tarheel87 wrote:
deadpanic wrote:
Nice John Hartford avatar BTW. Bluegrass fans need not apply to MI.
Haha yeah I'm a pretty big bluegrass fan but I like WSP and the Dead as well. I'm pretty shocked that someone actually recognized my avatar to be honest.

Jones, Dow wrote:
tarheel87 wrote:
deadpanic wrote:
you could get a full ride (or close) at some much better schools.
Where or in what range? I'm listening.

Jones, Dow

Bronze

Post by Jones, Dow » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:08 pm

look at some schools in the 60-70 range (or lower). I'll bet you could find a lot of money there with a 165.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:16 am

bighead715 wrote:from what I understand - wayne state university is better than MSU for michigan jobs

this has come from a couple attorneys and one that recruits attorneys for some firm, forgot which one...if ur going to stay in michigan try WSU, if MSU throws a full ride your way, I would imagine WSU would...I went to WSU undergrad though - if WSU gave me a full ride and an extra 100K to boot, I wouldn't attend simply because of how dreary it is down there...i hated it...

the law schools in michigan as I rank them...1. UMich 2. WSU 3. MSU 4. UMich's Medical School 5. University of Detroit Mercy 18. Cooley/Ave Maria
Ave Maria's gone. But other than that, I agree... Wayne State definitely seems to get the most respect after Michigan.

It's really hard to break into law firms in Michigan right now... I'm a 3L at Michigan, and my friends who summered in-state last year mostly got no-offered. But obviously there are other options. I think any type of job is probably harder to come by in Michigan than most other states, though.

That's my way of saying: free is fantastic, but if it limits you to practicing in a state as troubled as Michigan, I'd think twice about it if you have other options that will be better for your career.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:29 am

The only GPA requirement I had when they gave me a scholly (last year) was to remain in good standing, did something change? Although I don't think I was given a normal merit scholarship, I think it was leadership, diversity or something like that (I'm white but non trad).

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:42 am

MSU law is shitty. Everyone who goes to MSU undergrad is encouraged not to apply there unless your numbers are so low you can't get in anywhere else. If you're looking to practice in Michigan and get into UMich, Wayne is your best option because that's where all the Detroit folks hire from. A lot of MSU law grads get hired in the grand rapids area because you get less competition from the Detroit crowd. That's my opinion.

DannyJames

New

Post by DannyJames » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:39 pm

robin600 wrote:MSU law is shitty. Everyone who goes to MSU undergrad is encouraged not to apply there unless your numbers are so low you can't get in anywhere else. If you're looking to practice in Michigan and get into UMich, Wayne is your best option because that's where all the Detroit folks hire from. A lot of MSU law grads get hired in the grand rapids area because you get less competition from the Detroit crowd. That's my opinion.
Grand Rapids is one of the only areas in the state actually doing well...doesn't sound too bad of an option. And who at MSU is doing this "encouraging" to go elsewhere? The school is newer, thus some challenges are present (aside from it being in Michigan), but it is not a shitty school.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:56 pm

rondemarino wrote:
yabbadabbado wrote:Careful. That full ride comes with GPA strings and if you miss the target gpa by even .1, your scholarship is bye bye after the first year. Law school is not like undergrad. Grades are unpredictable (curved, harsher grading than UG) and the whole reason they have this system is so they can lure in higher numbers and then yank a bunch of the scholarships after 1L.

+1. Schools outside T1 are known for doing a good job clawing back scholarships after year 1 (section stacking, high GPA requirements, etc...). If you're going to accept money at this mills, just assume that you'll be paying for the last two years.
This:
LSATfromNC wrote:The only GPA requirement I had when they gave me a scholly (last year) was to remain in good standing, did something change? Although I don't think I was given a normal merit scholarship, I think it was leadership, diversity or something like that (I'm white but non trad).
It says right on the MSU website you need to maintain a 3.0 to keep your scholarship, and "renewal is the norm." Sounds like yabbadabbado is just bitter for some reason.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:58 pm

DannyJames wrote:
robin600 wrote:MSU law is shitty. Everyone who goes to MSU undergrad is encouraged not to apply there unless your numbers are so low you can't get in anywhere else. If you're looking to practice in Michigan and get into UMich, Wayne is your best option because that's where all the Detroit folks hire from. A lot of MSU law grads get hired in the grand rapids area because you get less competition from the Detroit crowd. That's my opinion.
Grand Rapids is one of the only areas in the state actually doing well...doesn't sound too bad of an option. And who at MSU is doing this "encouraging" to go elsewhere? The school is newer, thus some challenges are present (aside from it being in Michigan), but it is not a shitty school.
+1

This thread is a great example of how people on TLS post just ignorant shit as fact.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:01 pm

tarheel87 wrote:At a recent law fair I stopped by Michigan State's booth since my dad went there for undergrad and the lady told me I would almost certainly get full tuition with stipend. Would that even be worth applying for? Especially in this economy, I wonder what that resulting degree would do for me. Should I even look into it?

I am making just a ton of posts in this thread. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I find it pretty interesting she told you you'd get full tuition and stipend. I know people with better numbers than you who only got full tuition, and when asked about COL stipend MSU said they don't give out COL money. There is a 1L TLSer at MSU Law right now who told me only 1 person in his class got COL stipend, and that's because she was already getting scholarship money from some other source that covered her tuition (something about being native american).

Jones, Dow

Bronze

Post by Jones, Dow » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:08 pm

they have different requirements for different scholarships. some renew 100% if you are above a certain GPA, 75% if you are below that but above another GPA cutoff, 50% if you are below that but above the other cutoff, and 0 if you are below that.

and they also have those like rocket is talking about that renew 100% for good standing.

i'm guessing op would be in the "good standing" category rocket is talking about.

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:07 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
tarheel87 wrote:At a recent law fair I stopped by Michigan State's booth since my dad went there for undergrad and the lady told me I would almost certainly get full tuition with stipend. Would that even be worth applying for? Especially in this economy, I wonder what that resulting degree would do for me. Should I even look into it?

I am making just a ton of posts in this thread. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I find it pretty interesting she told you you'd get full tuition and stipend. I know people with better numbers than you who only got full tuition, and when asked about COL stipend MSU said they don't give out COL money. There is a 1L TLSer at MSU Law right now who told me only 1 person in his class got COL stipend, and that's because she was already getting scholarship money from some other source that covered her tuition (something about being native american).
Interesting, I do wish to repeat that this has NOT been officially extended, one of their representatives merely said that if I applied it would be almost certain. I have decided I will not apply anyways though so it's a moot point. I do wonder if there is anywhere somewhat respectable in the southeast where I could get a similar offer. SC?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”