Loyola New Orleans vs. Tulane Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
xgarland

New

Loyola New Orleans vs. Tulane Law

Post by xgarland » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:24 pm

Which law school has better job placement outside Louisiana and which school offers more financial aid?

thickfreakness

Silver

Re: Loyola New Orleans vs. Tulane Law

Post by thickfreakness » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:29 pm

As for placement OUTSIDE of Louisiana, I think Tulane is demonstrably better. As for financial aid, I don't really know. The two schools are literally right next to each other, so maybe you could go ask!

macatak911

Bronze

Post by macatak911 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:13 pm

Living in LA, this is what I've heard.

Tulane - Anywhere
LSU - LA and TX
Loyola - LA (mostly New Orleans)

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:45 pm

macatak911 wrote:Tulane - Anywhere
This is a little bit of a stretch, but obviously, it has the most national reach out of any of the LA law schools.

macatak911

Bronze

Post by macatak911 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:36 pm

Yeah, that's what I meant. If you want to practice outside of LA while going to law school in LA...Tulane is your best choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:02 pm

There are a good number of people that go to Tulane, and then go on to practice in New York

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:07 pm

xgarland wrote:Which law school has better job placement outside Louisiana and which school offers more financial aid?
Answer: A school outside Louisiana. I can only assume you asked this question because your an LA resident and are interested in in-state tuition, but aren't both of these schools private? Neither school is really nationally portable. Tulane may have limited regional portability, but would probably lose out to Vandy, Emory, UT, and the like in the best southern markets. Find a school that feeds into the market you want to practice.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:28 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
xgarland wrote:Which law school has better job placement outside Louisiana and which school offers more financial aid?
Answer: A school outside Louisiana. I can only assume you asked this question because your an LA resident and are interested in in-state tuition, but aren't both of these schools private? Neither school is really nationally portable. Tulane may have limited regional portability, but would probably lose out to Vandy, Emory, UT, and the like in the best southern markets. Find a school that feeds into the market you want to practice.
Why is this thread still going?

Well the OP may be asking because they want to be in New Orleans.

I can't agree with Tulane being regional - it doesn't do that hot in the southeast (except for FL - which I believe is considered part of the Atlantic region).

Tulane grads location after school are (in declining order):

Louisiana, Texas, New York, California, DC/Florida. (citing Tulane CDO, Martindale.com, etc. etc - it's fact, so disputing it is idiotic)

While Tulane isn't really a biglaw feeder (you need the grades; this is fact too),

if you do well there,

you can go most places.

*and there are plenty of alumni in all the markets (that are generally considered relevant) except for Illinois and Georgia.

On another note, there is an interesting post in here about V100 firms in NY and tier one schools placement in those offices.

- Tulane did better in V100 firms in NY than Washington and Lee, Notre Dame, William and Mary, American, Iowa, and Minnesota.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 23&t=93259

In fact, the only non-T-14s that did better than it in NY were Cardozo, Wake Forest (WTF?), GW, BC, BU, Emory, Fordham, WashU, Vanderbilt, and Texas.

Given all of those schools are in that region except for Wake, Emory, Vanderbilt and Texas, it did fine.

(you have to remember that this is only counting V100 firms, not big law - which is the top 250+ firms)

While that may not seem like much, that is only in NY.

I'm pretty curious to see how Tulane places in V100 firms in CA, TX, FL, and DC.

I'm pretty sure that it is on par with many of the "better" schools (according to US news) in every region.

grandslam

New

Post by grandslam » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:42 pm

Loyola is best if you want to stay in New Orleans, Tulane is best if you want to work elsewhere. Loyola is considerably better with financial aid though. A lot of friends I have at loyola law turned down Tulane because they needed the money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nianlong

New

Post by nianlong » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:40 am

Actually, Tulane is very generous with financial aid. 163 LSAT will probably get you at least 20 grand a year if your GPA is at median. And that's not even 75% LSAT.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:53 am

JessicaTiger wrote:There are a good number of people that go to Tulane, and then go on to practice in New York
This is kind of the requisite Tulane question, but how much of that is self selection in the form of NY natives wanting to return to NY, and how much of it is NY employers desiring Tulane grads due to 'prestige'?

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:20 am

swheat wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:There are a good number of people that go to Tulane, and then go on to practice in New York
This is kind of the requisite Tulane question, but how much of that is self selection in the form of NY natives wanting to return to NY, and how much of it is NY employers desiring Tulane grads due to 'prestige'?
True, but that is something that can't really be found out (and it's a good question for all of the top schools - including the T14)

Tulane's class of 2009 NY employers included:

Alston & Bird LLP
Cadwalader, Wickersham, & Taft LLP
Chadbourne & Parke LLP
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
clifford chance US LLP
Curtis Mallet-Prevost Colst & Mosie LLP
Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
Fragomen Del Rey Versen & Loewy, LLP
Jones Day
proskauer rose llp
Ropes & Gray LLP
Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
Shearman & Sterling, LLP
Weil Gotshal & Manges LLP
Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP

This isn't the entire NY list.

The list isn't bad in this economy for a non-t14, t25, or t30 that isn't in that region.

Not to mention only about 20% of Tulane grads go to NY.

Something to keep in mind.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:27 am

nianlong wrote:Actually, Tulane is very generous with financial aid. 163 LSAT will probably get you at least 20 grand a year if your GPA is at median. And that's not even 75% LSAT.
163 is 87-90%!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:59 am

PDaddy wrote:
nianlong wrote:Actually, Tulane is very generous with financial aid. 163 LSAT will probably get you at least 20 grand a year if your GPA is at median. And that's not even 75% LSAT.
163 is 87-90%!
why did you dig up a thread from 6 mo. back

RickyRoe

Bronze

Post by RickyRoe » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:06 am

PDaddy wrote:
163 is 87-90%!
I believe he was referring to Tulane's 75th percentile, not the overall percentile.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:30 am

Tulane is better overall. But you need some scratch to pay sticker. If you are worried about money you could try LSU as well as Loyola New Orleans.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:55 am

swheat wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
163 is 87-90%!
why did you dig up a thread from 6 mo. back
For the hell of it. Bored out of my mind...lol

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:57 am

RickyRoe wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
163 is 87-90%!
I believe he was referring to Tulane's 75th percentile, not the overall percentile.
Ur right...I am so bored...I am looking at old threads and posting in them. From what u said, my post above was crap! lol. Let this thread die now...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”