BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
academiccricket
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:45 am

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby academiccricket » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:02 am

superflush wrote:Yep. What I have been saying all along


I wasn't debating you, I was backing you up. :D

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby superflush » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:07 am

academiccricket wrote:
superflush wrote:Yep. What I have been saying all along


I wasn't debating you, I was backing you up. :D


Ha, yea I know. :)

Unadilla Kayaker
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:01 am

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:35 am

Getting back to the original debate and away from the city debate, wouldn't it just make sense for most people to either apply to both and see what happens or visit both and see which one they favor? Everyone will probably lean one way or the other about which school is theoretically better but we aren't all going to law school for the same reasons (meaning, I don't think all of us want to practice the same type of law).

So would it not just be smarter for each person to make their own decision about which school they LIKE better (since they are about as close to equal as two schools in the same major legal market can be) and then each of us say that the school we chose is clearly better once we go there? Sounds like a plan to me.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby superflush » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:37 am

Unadilla Kayaker wrote:Getting back to the original debate and away from the city debate, wouldn't it just make sense for most people to either apply to both and see what happens or visit both and see which one they favor?


Yes, this would make a lot of sense.

Unadilla Kayaker
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:01 am

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:48 am

superflush wrote:
Unadilla Kayaker wrote:Getting back to the original debate and away from the city debate, wouldn't it just make sense for most people to either apply to both and see what happens or visit both and see which one they favor?


Yes, this would make a lot of sense.


Thanks. And I agreed with your take on the city thing and love the avatar/screen-name combo.

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby redsox » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:58 am

I think Alumni Stadium and Conti Forum are both in Brighton but the vast majority of the main campus is in Newton. And BC is more than 15 minutes west of BU by T: the B line is slow as hell, has service at irregular intervals, and breaks down all the time.

BC has a much nicer campus. BU's law tower is an affront to the senses.

BU, as a university, gets much more international recognition (it's ranked about the same place in US rankings as it is in international rankings, even with dozens of foreign schools placed in front of it). BC's probably better for Boston, but I'm not sure if that applies to national firms with offices in Boston, or just local gov't/firms.

twintipping_bumps
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:14 am

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby twintipping_bumps » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:29 pm

I was persuaded by this thread and just submitted a BU app in addition to the BC app I had been planning to submit today.

gitls
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:42 pm

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby gitls » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:57 pm

As someone who lives 5 minutes by foot from BU law I can definitely tell you that BU and BC Law campus are certainly not 15 minutes apart. Traveling between the two could easily take 40-45 minutes (or more on a bad day). Driving a CAR between the two could easily take 15 minutes.

twintipping_bumps
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:14 am

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby twintipping_bumps » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:27 pm

The whole thread really made me think about this. I was thinking I would only apply to BC. But I live in the Back Bay. For me, I consider BU right down the road. I pass it if going to Brighton, etc. I think it would be very easy to walk from BU to the Back Bay area or live somewhere in between the two locations. I mean, at BU, you're basically by Fenway Park and all sorts of city activities.

User avatar
mikcou
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:23 am

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby mikcou » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:11 pm

redsox wrote:I think Alumni Stadium and Conti Forum are both in Brighton but the vast majority of the main campus is in Newton. And BC is more than 15 minutes west of BU by T: the B line is slow as hell, has service at irregular intervals, and breaks down all the time.


This is the answer. The Boston college main campus is right on the line of Newton and Brighton. The main academic campus is in Newton, but much of the "lower main campus" is in Brighton including both Conte Forum and Alumni. The Plex or the student gym is also in Brighton. However all of this is rather immaterial since the law school is in Newton and about 10 minutes away from the main BC campus and the Newton/Brighton line.

The B line is inconsistent but its not unheard of to be at BU within 20 minutes.

User avatar
daniel5215
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby daniel5215 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:28 am

BC Law is really my dream school!!! I haven't visited it yet, but I guess I'll madly love it! My numbers give me a pretty good shot there and I applied EA. Hope they'll give me some money.

Small Law
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:13 pm

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby Small Law » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:08 pm

BC is more national, but BU competes well against BC for jobs. BC has the better name, but BU is gaining recognition. Visit the campuses and see which is better for you. Do you like the Oxford gothic building type atmosphere or the urban NYU type campus? This will be the main difference. If you want to work outside of Boston, BC's name will obviously carry more nationally.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby superflush » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:20 pm

Small Law wrote: If you want to work outside of Boston, BC's name will obviously carry more nationally.


I think you have this wrong

Aristone
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:20 am

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby Aristone » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:55 am

I'm actually quite surprised by the anti-BC vibe on this thread. Both schools have their pros and their cons, but they are both very similar. BC has more of a college/campus feel in that it is a little removed from Brighton. It does NOT require a car...I knew many people who attended BC who did not have a car. You take the B line to the end and BC has shuttles running constantly from the Chestnut Hill Campus. Please don't let e car dissaude you from either...that's absurd.

BU has the higher rank, the renowned professors and the urban location. It is all a matter of what you're looking for. With comparable schools...it is a matter of your likes/dislikes and what you will make of the law schools.

Honestly, BC has a little more name recognition, but BU seems to do better in NYC/DC. Please just see both...although theyre like 2 miles away from each other...theyre worlds apart. Both are excellent schools. Lastly, LOOK AT COST. If One is substantially cheaper...take it, no matter what...despite rankings/who says what here/so forth.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby superflush » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:09 am

Aristone wrote:You take the B line to the end and BC has shuttles running constantly from the Chestnut Hill Campus.


Yea. That is doable, but not ideal.

User avatar
MidwestJosh
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:00 am

.

Postby MidwestJosh » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:53 am

.
Last edited by MidwestJosh on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MidwestJosh
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:00 am

.

Postby MidwestJosh » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:54 am

.
Last edited by MidwestJosh on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:19 am

Aristone wrote:I'm actually quite surprised by the anti-BC vibe on this thread. Both schools have their pros and their cons, but they are both very similar. BC has more of a college/campus feel in that it is a little removed from Brighton. It does NOT require a car...I knew many people who attended BC who did not have a car. You take the B line to the end and BC has shuttles running constantly from the Chestnut Hill Campus. Please don't let e car dissaude you from either...that's absurd.

BU has the higher rank, the renowned professors and the urban location. It is all a matter of what you're looking for. With comparable schools...it is a matter of your likes/dislikes and what you will make of the law schools.

Honestly, BC has a little more name recognition, but BU seems to do better in NYC/DC. Please just see both...although theyre like 2 miles away from each other...theyre worlds apart. Both are excellent schools. Lastly, LOOK AT COST. If One is substantially cheaper...take it, no matter what...despite rankings/who says what here/so forth.


Don't get defensive. No one is being anti-BC. In fact, I think everyone conceded that they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I agree that cost should be the #1 factor.

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby imisscollege » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:22 am

MidwestJosh wrote:BU is without a doubt the better known and more well respected school when you leave New England...



There has been much debate on this. Can you provide some sort of source?

Small Law
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:13 pm

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby Small Law » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:45 pm

As a practicing lawyer, I can tell you that BC has a much better reputation. firms recruit at BC much more heavily than BU, which is still considered a great school. Both are great, but if you want biglaw, you should focus on BC.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:04 pm

Small Law wrote:As a practicing lawyer, I can tell you that BC has a much better reputation. firms recruit at BC much more heavily than BU, which is still considered a great school. Both are great, but if you want biglaw, you should focus on BC.


You weren't a lawyer like 7 posts ago. Honestly man, you shouldn't be so self conscious about BC. Its a great school. No one has ever said otherwise.

starsong
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby starsong » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:35 am

Anyone have normal, non-ITE OCI data for BU vs. BC?

killuminati
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby killuminati » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:34 am

Got into BU and it looks like my BC decision was mailed today...I checked out BU and BC's job prospects in the LA area, I want to be able to come home. I talked to several attorneys I am friends with and they told me that BU is the better recognized school in LOS ANGELES. They work at different law firms, so I was able to get a pretty good idea of BU and BC's employment rate for the LA area. So for me it's BU...unless...BC gives me a ton of money but Top 20 sounds much better than #26.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby superflush » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:02 am

killuminati wrote:Got into BU and it looks like my BC decision was mailed today...I checked out BU and BC's job prospects in the LA area, I want to be able to come home. I talked to several attorneys I am friends with and they told me that BU is the better recognized school in LOS ANGELES. They work at different law firms, so I was able to get a pretty good idea of BU and BC's employment rate for the LA area. So for me it's BU...unless...BC gives me a ton of money but Top 20 sounds much better than #26.


are UCLA and USC out of the question for you??

killuminati
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: BC vs. BU - Is there really a difference?

Postby killuminati » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:11 am

superflush wrote:
killuminati wrote:Got into BU and it looks like my BC decision was mailed today...I checked out BU and BC's job prospects in the LA area, I want to be able to come home. I talked to several attorneys I am friends with and they told me that BU is the better recognized school in LOS ANGELES. They work at different law firms, so I was able to get a pretty good idea of BU and BC's employment rate for the LA area. So for me it's BU...unless...BC gives me a ton of money but Top 20 sounds much better than #26.


are UCLA and USC out of the question for you??


well my numbers twin was accepted to UCLA ED so who know's...but I would love to attend UCLA/USC and stay home in sunny california. But at the same time, I am stoked about a move to Boston. BU! WOOT!




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest