1L/2L internship opportunities at CCN compared to DMV?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Re: 1L/2L internship opportunities at CCN compared to DMV?

Postby 02082010 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:55 pm

That string of can I get a PM was ridiculous, although I asked for one as well.

Why so much Duke trolling on TLS in recent days?

Sobriquet

Postby Sobriquet » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:14 pm

NYU 1L here...

Not sure about how our 1Ls are doing in terms of firm placement b/c most firms want grades and most students are still waiting on at least 1 grade. But my friends are having no problems landing firm interviews in smaller markets outside of NYC/Chicago/LA.

I have more experience w/ non-firm jobs since grades are less important. At NYU, I know at least one 1L who received an offer w/ the DOJ in DC w/o getting her grades (meaning they weren't only hiring ppl at the top of the class). I also know that both the USAO-SDNY (the most prestigious US Attorney's Office in the US) and USAO-EDNY come on campus and hire 1Ls from NYU. Last year, I think at least 2 people worked at SDNY and 10+ worked at EDNY (out of a total of ~50 slots for interns) - keep in mind, some people may have been extended offers and turned them down. USAO in Newwark loves NYU students, too. USAO-DC also comes to NYU's annual public interest career fair in February and as part of the terms of coming to the fair, they are required to interview/hire a minimum number of NYU students compared to students from other law schools that attend the fair (which means NYU probably has a leg up against Columbia, Fordham, Cardozo, etc.) for USAO-DC jobs. These are probably toward the top of the "prestigious" side of the gov't jobs, so I think given that info, NYU 1Ls have a really good shot at any of these.

Postby 02082010 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Since I'm an unabashed prestige whore, what's a better option for 1L summer (assuming you had the option) summer associate gig or USAO SDNY? Assuming you want to clerk and the go to biglaw (litigation) post grad.

Also, is a summer position w/ SDNY readily available to Chicago students?

Sobriquet

Postby Sobriquet » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:58 pm

I don't know - honestly both are hard to get and people may have different reasons for doing them. If you are really interested in criminal prosecution and want to gain actual litigation experience, then SDNY would be the way to go. If you are saddled in debt and know you want to eventually go BigLaw anyway, then the firm job would be the way to go. I doubt a judge hiring clerks or a BigLaw firm will frown on either of these - just to have such options as a 1L would be great.

In terms of SDNY hiring out of U of Chicago, I'm not sure what the stats are. However, it certainly is an advantage for them to actually come do on campus interviews at your school; so in that respect, Chicago students may be at a disadvantage to local NYC-area schools. However, I personally received some of my federal gov't offers in markets outside of NYC based purely on submitting my resume to them via e-mail and then interviewing - so I'm sure Chicago students who really want to work at SDNY can make it happen.

Sobriquet

Postby Sobriquet » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:01 pm

Also, I wouldn't aim for SDNY just purely for the "prestige" factor. USAOs in general are very prestigious and the Northern District of IL (the USAO in Chicago) is definitely one of the more/most competitive offices so if you go to Chicago, perhaps you'd have an advantage there. I unfortunately do not have as much info on that as I do on the NYC branches and NYU student placement in particular.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:07 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:Since I'm an unabashed prestige whore, what's a better option for 1L summer (assuming you had the option) summer associate gig or USAO SDNY? Assuming you want to clerk and the go to biglaw (litigation) post grad.

What's better, $3000/wk or working for free?

Postby 02082010 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:11 am

Renzo wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Since I'm an unabashed prestige whore, what's a better option for 1L summer (assuming you had the option) summer associate gig or USAO SDNY? Assuming you want to clerk and the go to biglaw (litigation) post grad.

Money isn't everything.... :?

But I thought market rate for SA jobs are $20k for the 10week summer. Am I wrong?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:14 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Renzo wrote:

But I thought market rate for SA jobs are $20k for the 10week summer. Am I wrong?

Depends on the firm, but for market-paying biglaw firms NALP says about $3100/wk. But if you aren't interested in making $30k, than the USAO might be a better resume line.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:23 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:Money isn't everything.... :?

What?! :shock: :shock:

Postby 02082010 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:32 am

Renzo wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Depends on the firm, but for market-paying biglaw firms NALP says about $3100/wk. But if you aren't interested in making $30k, than the USAO might be a better resume line.

Extremely interesting. I'm praying I can get into CN so I can have the opportunity to even have such options in front of me for 1L summer.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:49 am

uh... people don't get NALP firm associateships 1L summer. you can pretty much give up on making that sort of money until 2L.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:14 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:uh... people don't get NALP firm associateships 1L summer. you can pretty much give up on making that sort of money until 2L.

Yes they do. I'm not really sure what more to say than that. Don't mean to be antagonistic, but they do.

Sobriquet

Postby Sobriquet » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:23 am

Firms are interviewing for 1L associate positions at NYU. Granted, there are only a limited number that actually come on campus, they're there. And I know of quite a few 1Ls who have had V100 interviews. Granted only a small percentage of them will receive offers, the bottom line is, if firms don't hire 1Ls period, they wouldn't even be interviewing candidates.

usaojeff

Postby usaojeff » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:43 am

Let me start with a disclaimer: yes, it is true that some 1Ls will be getting firm jobs this summer. Many of my friends have had multiple interviews and some will inevitably get offers, I am fairly confident.

That being said, to say that firms would not be interviewing 1Ls unless they planned to hire 1Ls is, in my opinion, not correct. Firms have a significant interest in keeping recruiting channels open. Often, firms will have "1L cocktail hours" or interview simply to get their name out to classes and such.

In fact, some firms participating in a 1L OCI might PLAN on not hiring ANY 1Ls. It's been done before, and actually done quite often.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Sobriquet

Postby Sobriquet » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:35 pm

I'm not sure how your comment disagrees w/ mine in any relevant sense. The poster above said to "forget about it" and I think you basically agree that his sentiment is false b/c firms WILL hire some 1Ls. Of course just b/c a single firm interviews 1Ls doesn't mean that firm will inevitable hire one, but on the whole the fact that 1Ls are getting interviews means that at least some firms are still open to hiring 1Ls.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:51 pm

Sobriquet wrote:I'm not sure how your comment disagrees w/ mine in any relevant sense. The poster above said to "forget about it" and I think you basically agree that his sentiment is false b/c firms WILL hire some 1Ls. Of course just b/c a single firm interviews 1Ls doesn't mean that firm will inevitable hire one, but on the whole the fact that 1Ls are getting interviews means that at least some firms are still open to hiring 1Ls.

This. Biglaw firms do hire 1L's. But they hire zero to two each, so that's like maybe 200 jobs in the world, and they often give them away as part of larger diversity initiatives. Since there are likely to be well over 5000+ 1L's trying to get these jobs, your statistical chance of getting one is basically zero.

A good analogy would be winning the lottery: it's almost certain that someone will win, but the odds of any one player winning are zero.

Sobriquet

Postby Sobriquet » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:55 am

I think more people will get 1L firm jobs than you think.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:34 am

People will get firm jobs, but there really is no incentive for large firms in major markets to hire any 1Ls ITE. None of their competitors are doing it so there's no reason for any to do it.

Further, I think our year is the toughest to get 1L firm jobs simply b/c there are so many jobless 2Ls. Thus, you're not only competing with a bunch of other 1Ls desperate for employment but also 2Ls who are even more desperate for employment.

With that said, some people will end up with stuff, but like how OCI turned out this year, I'm getting the feeling from word of mouth that those who have are getting a lot and those w/o are getting shut down.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:19 am

Sobriquet wrote:I think more people will get 1L firm jobs than you think.
If you are including small firms, then yes, but I'm only talking about big firms.

If you search NALP by firms that hire 1L's, and then look at how many each firm is planning to hire and add them up, it isn't very many. Why on earth would they pay someone who is basically useless to them $3000/wk while deferring graduates who could actually do real work for basically the same price?

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:17 am

Doritos wrote:
freeflowfox wrote:CCN as well, PM? Thanks!

+1. Going to UVA but I dont like to be left out of things

lol

Return to “Choosing a Law School”