A Big TLS Welcome to Belmont College of Law, 2011

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
reasonable_man

Re: A Big TLS Welcome to Belmont College of Law, 2011

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:44 am

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the ABA in advance for eventually granting this shit-hole accredidation... Just what we need, yet ANOTHER diploma mill.

Thanks ABA!!

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:48 am

I find that article ridiculous. I grew up in Nashville and there is a huge lack of locally educated attorneys. The Belmont School of Law will fill a niche for the Nashville area for the music business scene as well as the local politics. The fact is, there are far more Tennessee residents at Belmont than at Vandy, and Belmont has a far greater presence in Tennessee and Nashville politics. It will be good to have a local school that will be feeding people with JDs right into the local market, whether they go into music business, politics, healthcare business, or try to get job at a firm.

The fact is, Nashville is one of the healthcare and music hubs of the country and BOTH of those industrys need lawyers. Plus, I think the prospect that Belmont Law grads will provide any competition for Vanderbilt is simply silly.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:54 am

Philo38 wrote:I find that article ridiculous. I grew up in Nashville and there is a huge lack of locally educated attorneys. The Belmont School of Law will fill a niche for the Nashville area for the music business scene as well as the local politics. The fact is, there are far more Tennessee residents at Belmont than at Vandy, and Belmont has a far greater presence in Tennessee and Nashville politics. It will be good to have a local school that will be feeding people with JDs right into the local market, whether they go into music business, politics, healthcare business, or try to get job at a firm.

The fact is, Nashville is one of the healthcare and music hubs of the country and BOTH of those industrys need lawyers. Plus, I think the prospect that Belmont Law grads will provide any competition for Vanderbilt is simply silly.

Yes. What we need is more lawyers. The 40,000 or so they minted last year really isn't getting it done.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:53 am

reasonable_man wrote:
Philo38 wrote:I find that article ridiculous. I grew up in Nashville and there is a huge lack of locally educated attorneys. The Belmont School of Law will fill a niche for the Nashville area for the music business scene as well as the local politics. The fact is, there are far more Tennessee residents at Belmont than at Vandy, and Belmont has a far greater presence in Tennessee and Nashville politics. It will be good to have a local school that will be feeding people with JDs right into the local market, whether they go into music business, politics, healthcare business, or try to get job at a firm.

Yes. What we need is more lawyers. The 40,000 or so they minted last year really isn't getting it done.

Look, I understand the general market is flooded with lawyers right now, but it would be foolish to look at the overall numbers of the nation and apply them broadly to all localities wouldn't it?

1) Belmont school of law (atleast the idea is) will be permanent, the recession will not. This is a long term invesment.

2) Nashville's needs are not equivalent to the entire job market. We have a MASSIVE underepresented, undereducated community in middle Tennessee and we haven't opened a law school in over 100 years. Less than 15% of the people who enter highschool in Tennessee end up going to college. Our community will benefit greatly from the addition of a law school, which we haven't had the benefit of for a VERY long time. The only full-time law school in Nashville, the only one, is the elite Vanderbilt, it certainly will be benificial to our community to have another option.

3) Try and look away from the shiny blue buzzing light that is firm job competition. There are other ways law degrees, lawyers, and a law school can benefit Nashville.

4) Belmont is a very good school and I never look badly upon the addition of education to a community, no matter how mad I am that my job chances are hurting right now.

5) The market will determine the outcome. If Belmont or other law schools don't have applicants for thier JD programs they will close thier doors. Bottom line. Don't blame the school blame . . . well . . . us.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:58 am

Dialogue wrote:
NeverlandRancher wrote:Interesting news! I'm from Nashville and applying for 2011 so I might consider sending them an app. Belmont is a very well-respected school in Nashville and judging by the rest of the campus, you can be damn sure the law building will be incredible. I wouldn't be so quick to assume that Belmont will be a TTT either. The school definitely has the cash to make it work but I'm sure it would take years to break the top 100. Unfortunately, I'd rather not be a guinea pig and take law classes in a UG buidling while they work out the kinks and get accredited so I'll probably be trying to enter the Nashville market with a JD from Ole Miss (the non-Vandy Nashville elite school of choice for some reason). I wish they could have done this 20 years ago so they would have some sort of reputation/alumni network! Should turn out to be a great school though (Nashville School of Law must be devastated by this news).

NeverlandRancher wrote:I'm not saying that Ole Miss is an elite school

deadpanic wrote:He is not saying it is elite

:?:

"Elite" is intended as a noun to go with Nashville; he's saying Ole Miss is the school of choice for members of the Nashville elite who can't/won't go to Vandy.

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:33 pm

Philo38 wrote:I find that article ridiculous. I grew up in Nashville and there is a huge lack of locally educated attorneys.

No. There is not a lack of locally educated attorneys. At all.

There are not enough jobs in Middle Tennessee for all the grads of Vandy, Tennessee, and Memphis that want to work there. Why would adding over 100 more graduates a year help this problem? This school is totally unnecessary in Tennessee.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:01 pm

Philo38 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Look, I understand the general market is flooded with lawyers right now, but it would be foolish to look at the overall numbers of the nation and apply them broadly to all localities wouldn't it?

1) Belmont school of law (atleast the idea is) will be permanent, the recession will not. This is a long term invesment.

2) Nashville's needs are not equivalent to the entire job market. We have a MASSIVE underepresented, undereducated community in middle Tennessee and we haven't opened a law school in over 100 years. Less than 15% of the people who enter highschool in Tennessee end up going to college. Our community will benefit greatly from the addition of a law school, which we haven't had the benefit of for a VERY long time. The only full-time law school in Nashville, the only one, is the elite Vanderbilt, it certainly will be benificial to our community to have another option.

3) Try and look away from the shiny blue buzzing light that is firm job competition. There are other ways law degrees, lawyers, and a law school can benefit Nashville.

4) Belmont is a very good school and I never look badly upon the addition of education to a community, no matter how mad I am that my job chances are hurting right now.

5) The market will determine the outcome. If Belmont or other law schools don't have applicants for thier JD programs they will close thier doors. Bottom line. Don't blame the school blame . . . well . . . us.

For Christ's sake, read what Observationalist has to say about this. He's at VANDY! Belmont will NEVER be able to compete against them. They will NEVER get the quality of students Vandy attracts.

Hmmmm.... as a music industry executive, would I rather hire a smart well rounded individual with T14 qualifications, or some rich fucktard trying to pull some invisible strings. I'll get back to you.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Philo38 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Addition of education? Are you serious? There are WAY too many law schools already operating in the United States.

Opening new law schools directly:

- Lessens the value of a JD
- Further saturates an already saturated market
- Drives down or holds steady the wages that attorneys can earn
- Decreases the intellectual standards for attorneys across the board

None of these things are positive. Are you an attorney? I doubt it. Because if you were, you wouldn't be stupid enough to make such an absurd statement. There are NO geographic regions that need another blood-sucking TTT shit shop opened.

MTal

Postby MTal » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:48 pm

There are enough unemployed and underemployed JD's in the city of NY to fill the needs of 10 Nashvilles.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:27 pm

MTal wrote:There are enough unemployed and underemployed JD's in the city of NY to fill the needs of 10 Nashvilles.

Yes. Please tell me the exact number of lawyers this sub-market in TN needs and I'll send you ten times that number of unemployed NY attorneys with T100 through T14 degrees to fill the 'demand.'

MTal

Postby MTal » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:35 pm

^^ I would say T100 all the way up to HYS. All the ivy-educated lawyers are now flooding the most remote parts of the country in search of legal employment. The U of CO-Boulder recently reported a 37 % employment rate in large part because highly credentialed lawyers from the coasts were flooding the CO market, making it that much harder for graduates of local law schools to find jobs.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:47 pm

MTal wrote:^^ I would say T100 all the way up to HYS. All the ivy-educated lawyers are now flooding the most remote parts of the country in search of legal employment. The U of CO-Boulder recently reported a 37 % employment rate in large part because highly credentialed lawyers from the coasts were flooding the CO market, making it that much harder for graduates of local law schools to find jobs.

Don't be silly. We NEED more law schools. 300 ABA approved law schools by 2020 I say.. That way we can have lawyers fighting in the street over municipal court apperances and small debt collections cases.... Oh wait, they already are...

More Law schools!!!!

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:08 pm

MTal wrote:^^ I would say T100 all the way up to HYS. All the ivy-educated lawyers are now flooding the most remote parts of the country in search of legal employment. The U of CO-Boulder recently reported a 37 % employment rate in large part because highly credentialed lawyers from the coasts were flooding the CO market, making it that much harder for graduates of local law schools to find jobs.

I'm in Denver and I know a lot of attorneys in this town and really have not seen an influx of out of state grads taking away instate grads jobs. Denver is a pretty insular market and where ever you come from out of state they really want to see local ties to even interview you. For the July bar in Colorad 800+ people took it, only 31 were from what the state calls the "national" schools (Columbia, Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Duke, Michigan, Chicago, California Berkeley, Virginia, Texas are the ones they count) Its probably more the case that there are just fewer jobs opening up and people are finding it harder to get one through the traditional methods. Having two schools in one mid sized market does not help either.

As to more law schools I'm pretty ambelivant on the idea. I don't think limiting law schools would not do much to change the present situation. So long as law is the easiest grad school to get into with the least pre-requisites and the default option for anyone w/o a science degree there are going to be more want to be lawyers than there are law school seats no matter how many law schools there are. You can only do so much by limiting the supply when the demand is still there. The market is self correcting now, as salaries go down for lawyers so will demand of people wanting to go to law school.
Last edited by Matthies on Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:14 pm

reasonable_man wrote:

Don't be silly. We NEED more law schools. 300 ABA approved law schools by 2020 I say.. That way we can have lawyers fighting in the street over municipal court apperances and small debt collections cases.... Oh wait, they already are...

More Law schools!!!!

reasonable_man, what do you know about the relocation of NY lawyers? Are you hearing about mass migrations, or are JDs still trying to bide their time and hope for new opportunities in the city? How far are laid-off NYC lawyers willing to go, geographically, to find work?

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:17 pm

The market is self correcting now, as salaries go down for lawyers so will demand of people wanting to go to law school.

I think that's true, but the information that salaries are going down has to get to the general public before people start avoiding law school. Theories based on a rational market assume access to information. Misinformation contributes to the problem.

Quite a few out there still believe statistics like this :
http://law.hofstra.edu/StudentLife/Care ... stics.html

(Median private sector salary at Hofstra law of 160k)

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:21 pm

nealric wrote: Theories based on a rational market assume [strike]access to information[/strike] rational people. [strike]Misinformation[/strike] Stupidity contributes to the problem.

Not necessarily fixed, just clarified.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:29 pm

nealric wrote:
The market is self correcting now, as salaries go down for lawyers so will demand of people wanting to go to law school.

I think that's true, but the information that salaries are going down has to get to the general public before people start avoiding law school. Theories based on a rational market assume access to information. Misinformation contributes to the problem.

I agree with you, but we are also only two years out from the highest paid years on record, 2006/2007. So it will take a few years before people start to belive those days are gone for good.

TTTTT

Postby TTTTT » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:32 pm

reasonable_man wrote:

More Law schools!!!!

If you think there will only be 300 ABA approved law schools by 2020 then you place far too much confidence in their abilities.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:38 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

More Law schools!!!!

reasonable_man, what do you know about the relocation of NY lawyers? Are you hearing about mass migrations, or are JDs still trying to bide their time and hope for new opportunities in the city? How far are laid-off NYC lawyers willing to go, geographically, to find work?

Not sure who is willing to move just yet, but I know quite a few without a job...

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:41 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

More Law schools!!!!

Not sure who is willing to move just yet, but I know quite a few without a job...

I wonder how many are willing to take the bar in anouther state to get out. Does NY have any quick repcrosity with any other sates or is it five years or bar?

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:42 pm

Philo38 wrote:3) Try and look away from the shiny blue buzzing light that is firm job competition. There are other ways law degrees, lawyers, and a law school can benefit Nashville.

Future Belmont Law graduate sucking the fast-food employment opportunities dry in Nashville:

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:54 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

For Christ's sake, read what Observationalist has to say about this. He's at VANDY! Belmont will NEVER be able to compete against them. They will NEVER get the quality of students Vandy attracts.

Hmmmm.... as a music industry executive, would I rather hire a smart well rounded individual with T14 qualifications, or some rich fucktard trying to pull some invisible strings. I'll get back to you.

I didn't mean to imply that Belmont grads will be equal to Vandy grads. The point is there are a lot of Jobs around Nashville that Vandy grads are not taking. I work in law firms in Nashville, over half of the attorneys who practice in this state are from school outside of this state. There are just as many Ole miss, Alabama, and Cumberland law grads working in law firms in Nashville as Vandy.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:03 pm

Philo38 wrote:I didn't mean to imply that Belmont grads will be equal to Vandy grads. The point is there are a lot of Jobs around Nashville that Vandy grads are not taking. I work in law firms in Nashville, over half of the attorneys who practice in this state are from school outside of this state. There are just as many Ole miss, Alabama, and Cumberland law grads working in law firms in Nashville as Vandy.

If you have a list of jobs in Nashville that Vandy students turned down this year, please share them with the class. Other wise you'd better grab one of Ronald's tits quick before all the milk is gone.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:03 pm

So if the need is being met by grads from other schools; why does the area need another LS?

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:06 pm

reasonable_man wrote:So if the need is being met by grads from other schools; why does the area need another LS?

Apparently because they're not "from Nashville". They have no idea the what the complex and thriving legal industry is like "in Nashville". If "IT'S" happening "IT'S" happening in "Nashville".

Now everyone grab a tit!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”