Placement in Boston

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dukelawguy144

Re: Placement in Boston

Postby dukelawguy144 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:19 pm

re take and reapply. Your GPA is too high to waste on crappy law schools.

Get a 165 and go to BU/BC,

fenway

Postby fenway » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:20 pm

O and as far as UNC for Boston. Go on NALP directory and search "Boston" for city and "UNC" for school to view the top Boston firm OCI's. I think UNC has two (2). Suffolk has at least 15 ish

in general, using the NALP site is a great resource to get an idea of the "reach" for each school into whatever region you are interested in practicing.

Canarsie

Postby Canarsie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:24 pm

old thread is old.

Informative

Postby Informative » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:24 pm

Northeastern is a no-brainer.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:26 pm

dukelawguy144 wrote:re take and reapply. Your GPA is too high to waste on crappy law schools.

Get a 165 and go to BU/BC, and apply early

165/3.75 "Late" application --> WL :(

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:11 pm

NoleinNY wrote:
dukelawguy144 wrote:re take and reapply. Your GPA is too high to waste on crappy law schools.

Get a 165 and go to BU/BC, and apply early

165/3.75 "Late" application --> WL :(

You're below the median LSAT at BU anyway - BC is a better bet as you'd be above the median GPA. Re-apply early.

fenway

Postby fenway » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:12 am

BU troll, is it?

i love the passive-aggression towards BC. It's that true terrier, dogged vendetta against the eagles. Sandwiched between the two in Cleveland Circle, I've enjoyed observing the battle take place over the years. ITE, I'd have to go with BC's library/BU's location and views/Apparently BU Profs/And slightly BC's hometown BigLaw rep/BU's Cali prospects/BU stuffy academics v. BC priests and popped collars/Eagle v. Dog/Martin Luther King (non law) v. John Kerry (law).

I dunno, the numbers all pretty much look the same, I feel like it must just go on to an individual firm to firm basis in terms of selective preference. both great schools

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:55 am

To answer your question directly: no, none of the schools you mentioned place well in Boston. Boston is a very insular legal market and you really need to go to school in MA (or a T10 + maybe Cornell) to compete. If you have the option, you should retake and shoot for BC/BU.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:40 am

To the OP, I think if you are set on Boston you need to try for Northeastern. I just asked a friend of mine who owns their own firm in Boston and was told that Northeastern is outplacing BC at some firms because of the coop program experience. Suffolk is probably an underrated school and the location is the best out of any school in Massachusetts, but they just don't place that well. I grew up outside Boston also and know a bunch of people that went to Suffolk or New England Law and they say that employment options are pretty tough outside the top 25%. I think the best advice here is to retake, take a year off and live with your parents if you can to save up and make some Boston connections. Work your butt off to do better on the LSAT and try for BU/BC or some money at Northwestern.

Also, a 165 is no lock at BU/BC. Look at the LSN graphs, 3.7/165 is right around the low end for both and could easily be a waitlist. I was waitlisted at BU with a 169/3.6x along with many others that had similar numbers here.

As always, with numbers that might be a reach at all, apply early and make sure you have a good package.

thechee

Postby thechee » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:17 am

Boston is generally quite difficult to break into as an outsider, even in non-law fields.

With your numbers, I'd say try for Northeastern. My only experience with the school is taking the LSAT there, and my neighbor went there and got a state supreme court clerkship, biglaw, and later academia. Clearly the exception, not the rule, but still speaks well for the school.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:11 pm

fenway wrote:BU troll, is it?

i love the passive-aggression towards BC. It's that true terrier, dogged vendetta against the eagles. Sandwiched between the two in Cleveland Circle, I've enjoyed observing the battle take place over the years. ITE, I'd have to go with BC's library/BU's location and views/Apparently BU Profs/And slightly BC's hometown BigLaw rep/BU's Cali prospects/BU stuffy academics v. BC priests and popped collars/Eagle v. Dog/Martin Luther King (non law) v. John Kerry (law).

I dunno, the numbers all pretty much look the same, I feel like it must just go on to an individual firm to firm basis in terms of selective preference. both great schools

You're an idiot - your last sentence is the reiteration of basically everything I've posted.

fenway

Postby fenway » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:42 pm

Blindmelon wrote:

You're an idiot - your last sentence is the reiteration of basically everything I've posted.

so by agreeing with you that makes me stupid? i take it you don't agree with my informal comparison between the two schools--which part(s) do you disagree on? it's not like I was presuming to present fact, just opinion based in part on my experience living in Boston for 22 years/spending time at both schools. but as you are a BU law student yourself, I'd be interested to hear your take on what I threw out there. also, don't read too much into the terrier vendetta shit; I said it jokingly, and in jest I'd say the same thing about BC and its eagles. I have friends who went to both schools and the trash talk is pervasive, even if it is just because of the hockey rivalry

I really am curious to see what your gripe is with those +/- calls, so a post back would be cool

Informative

Postby Informative » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:47 pm

Agree with some, but not all of this.
Selectivity- Equal. Usually, if you get into one, you can get into the other. No real difference.
Library - BC. The BU law library is dreadful, and the alternative is using one of the general libraries with undergrads.
Location - Depends (BC if you want a lower cost, a car and a campus; BU if you want to be closer to the city and predominantly use public transportation (the T is pretty good)(note: they are only 4 or 5 miles apart, but drastically different atmospheres)
Professors - BU. BC has been recruiting heavily in this department, but BU still has some of the old staples.
Employent - BC. BU has been catching up, but BC still has that cache both locally and nationally at the larger law firms.
Reputation - BC. Still has that ole' boys network going on.
Academics - Toss up. BC has the better name for academics, but BU has recently started climbing the USN law rankings. The rest of the university gives it a bid of a sour taste in some people's mind, even though the law school has jumped up in the last few years out of the 30s in US News.

Conclusion - Pretty equal. As everyone always says regarding these two schools: go with where you feel the most comfortable because you are coming out with the same degree. Choose whichever school you think you will do the best at and you will be better off. Alternatively, if by chance one gives you more money, you should look at total cost of living for 3 years (rent differences, parking, etc.) and figure out which would be cheapest.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Informative wrote:

Agree with some, but not all of this.
Selectivity- Equal. Usually, if you get into one, you can get into the other. No real difference.
Library - BC. The BU law library is dreadful, and the alternative is using one of the general libraries with undergrads.
Location - Depends (BC if you want a lower cost, a car and a campus; BU if you want to be closer to the city and predominantly use public transportation (the T is pretty good)(note: they are only 4 or 5 miles apart, but drastically different atmospheres)
Professors - BU. BC has been recruiting heavily in this department, but BU still has some of the old staples.
Employent - BC. BU has been catching up, but BC still has that cache both locally and nationally at the larger law firms.
Reputation - BC. Still has that ole' boys network going on.
Academics - Toss up. BC has the better name for academics, but BU has recently started climbing the USN law rankings. The rest of the university gives it a bid of a sour taste in some people's mind, even though the law school has jumped up in the last few years out of the 30s in US News.

Conclusion - Pretty equal. As everyone always says regarding these two schools: go with where you feel the most comfortable because you are coming out with the same degree. Choose whichever school you think you will do the best at and you will be better off. Alternatively, if by chance one gives you more money, you should look at total cost of living for 3 years (rent differences, parking, etc.) and figure out which would be cheapest.

That's pretty much the consensus and what I've discovered on my own, through both living in Boston for many years and talking with attorneys in Boston.

Informative

Postby Informative » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:07 pm

To the OP though, if you can't get into BC/BU, go to Northeastern. If you can't get into Northeastern, retake the LSAT or (not advisable) take a gamble on Suffolk or another 3/4 tier school.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:53 pm

fenway wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

so by agreeing with you that makes me stupid? i take it you don't agree with my informal comparison between the two schools--which part(s) do you disagree on? it's not like I was presuming to present fact, just opinion based in part on my experience living in Boston for 22 years/spending time at both schools. but as you are a BU law student yourself, I'd be interested to hear your take on what I threw out there. also, don't read too much into the terrier vendetta shit; I said it jokingly, and in jest I'd say the same thing about BC and its eagles. I have friends who went to both schools and the trash talk is pervasive, even if it is just because of the hockey rivalry

I really am curious to see what your gripe is with those +/- calls, so a post back would be cool

No gripe with what you said at all - just I am by no means a BU troll. I just run to a lot of BU threads because BU sometimes gets this unwarranted rep. as inferior to BC or ultra-competitive, etc.

Also + to Informative's last post - while BC/BU give you much better employment prospects, NE is no slouch school and can give us a run for our money in Boston.

fenway

Postby fenway » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:47 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
fenway wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

No gripe with what you said at all - just I am by no means a BU troll. I just run to a lot of BU threads because BU sometimes gets this unwarranted rep. as inferior to BC or ultra-competitive, etc.

Also + to Informative's last post - while BC/BU give you much better employment prospects, NE is no slouch school and can give us a run for our money in Boston.

alright good, I wasn't trying to diminish BU (at least any more so than BC). Again, I feel like BU/BC are the same in terms of overall prospects (BC old guard/BU new) and I doubt that they are any more/less competitive than one another. Although my friend is going to BU law next year, and he might be one of the most competitive people I've ever met haha.

Interesting what you said about Northeastern--so you have noticed a big gap between NE and Suffolk?

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:01 pm

NE/Suffolk gap no idea. Good friend of mine works in extremely competitive Boston gov work and the shake down of summer interns is - 11 BU, 7 BC (BC students seem to be more the judicial intern type from what I've seen), 6 NE, 4 Harvard (or more? I forget), 3 Suffolk, 2 NESL , 2 other T5 schools and some other randoms.

So NE seems to have double the rep. of Suffolk. This is ridiculously anecdotal though.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”