What's so good about Harvard? Specifically Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kjunfood

New

What's so good about Harvard? Specifically

Post by kjunfood » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:24 pm

i know this thread's title is pretty asinine, but i meant aside from generalities, what makes Harvard law better than say Chicago law or NYU or Columbia or, in some aspects, Stanford?

and im curious about specifics: not just "they have a great faculty" but rather a specific teacher or course that you (personally) find stands out from whats offered at the other competitive schools.

sry if this question sounds stupid, but id really like to know everyone's thoughts.

thanks.

Helmholtz

Gold

Re: What's so good about Harvard? Specifically

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:26 pm

broken_image

CaptainCubicle

New

Post by CaptainCubicle » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:04 pm

I agree. I mean they're not even the #1 law school in the country by most rankings, so what's the big deal?

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:17 pm

kjunfood wrote:i know this thread's title is pretty asinine, but i meant aside from generalities, what makes Harvard law better than say Chicago law or NYU or Columbia or, in some aspects, Stanford?
OBAMA.

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:23 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
kjunfood wrote:i know this thread's title is pretty asinine, but i meant aside from generalities, what makes Harvard law better than say Chicago law or NYU or Columbia or, in some aspects, Stanford?
OBAMA.

He lectured at Chicago though :?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawDog3

New

Post by LawDog3 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:31 pm

and im curious about specifics: not just "they have a great faculty" but rather a specific teacher or course that you (personally) find stands out from whats offered at the other competitive schools.

sry if this question sounds stupid, but id really like to know everyone's thoughts.

thanks.
That is actually a very good question.

Harvard is the best law school in the land because it has always been the best law school in the land since it was the best law school in the land way back when it was the best law school out of all of the best law schools in the land that made up the best law schools in the land. That's why Harvard is the best law school in the land.

As the best law school in the land out of the best law schools in the land, Harvard has always attracted the best faculty in the land that have been the best faculty in the land because they learned from those who were the best faculty in the land. And because it has always had the best faculty in the land, it has always attracted the best employers in the land who have always been the best employers in the land since way back when they were the best employers in the land...which has always attracted the best students in the land who have always been the best students in the land because their parents were the best students in the land even way back when their parents were the best students in the land...

thus the best students in the land will go on to work for the best emplyers in the land and make the most money in the land and run the land and raise children who will go on to become the best students in the land because they will attend the best schools in the land that have always been the best schools in the land even way back when they were the best schools in the land. They will go on to Harvard, the best law school in the land and run the best nation in the world. :wink:

pjarron

New

Post by pjarron » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:36 pm

LawDog3 wrote:

thanks.

Harvard is the best law school in the land because it has always been the best law school in the land since it was the best law school in the land way back when it was the best law school out of all of the best law schools in the land that made up the best law schools in the land. That's why Harvard is the best law school in the land.

As the best law school in the land out of the best law schools in the land, Harvard has always attracted the best faculty in the land that have been the best faculty in the land because they learned from those who were the best faculty in the land. And because it has always had the best faculty in the land, it has always attracted the best employers in the land who have always been the best employers in the land since way back when they were the best employers in the land...which has always attracted the best students in the land who have always been the best students in the land because their parents were the best students in the land even way back when their parents were the best students in the land...

thus the best students in the land will go on to work for the best emplyers in the land and make the most money in the land and run the land and raise children who will go on to become the best students in the land because they will attend the best schools in the land that have always been the best schools in the land even way back when they were the best schools in the land. They will go on to Harvard, the best law school in the land and run the best nation in the world. :wink:
I couldn't have said it better myself. This sums it all up and thats all we need to know.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:45 pm

LawDog3 wrote:That is actually a very good question.

This is absolutely classic. One of the best TLS comments I've ever read!

Justin71

New

Post by Justin71 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:52 pm

Harvard has 46 awesomeness points; more than any other law school in Americania.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

strawberryfanta

Bronze

Post by strawberryfanta » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:10 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
OBAMA.
:roll:

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:11 pm

LawDog3 wrote:

thanks.

amazing

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:12 pm

strawberryfanta wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
OBAMA.
:roll:
before obama, harvard was so tttt.

logicianwannabe

New

Post by logicianwannabe » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:16 pm

LawDog3 wrote:

thanks.

But what's the best land in the land?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pjarron

New

Post by pjarron » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:19 pm

logicianwannabe wrote:
LawDog3 wrote:

thanks.

But what's the best land in the land?
Harvard, Harvard's the best in the land.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:53 pm

LawDog3 wrote:

thanks.

you, sir, are my hero.

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:57 am

I hear their library square footage per student is pretty high, as well as # of carpeted hallways for students to sit and study in, which is pretty cool.

Neverknowsbest

New

Post by Neverknowsbest » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:00 am

crazycanuck wrote:I hear their library square footage per student is pretty high, as well as # of carpeted hallways for students to sit and study in, which is pretty cool.
Hasn't Cooley already surpassed them on both of these?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:20 am

crazycanuck wrote:I hear their library square footage per student is pretty high, as well as # of carpeted hallways for students to sit and study in, which is pretty cool.
don't forget about the number of library chairs per student. talk about the golden ratio!

kjunfood

New

Post by kjunfood » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:38 pm

lol ty for the posts, though sadly none of them seem to be serious :(

ok, let me rephrase so i dont hurt everyone's sensibilities:

why would one choose harvard law over columbia law? or why would some choose harvard law over stanford law?

the more specific the better

green

Bronze

Post by green » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:45 pm

I don't think it can really get more specific. Harvard is the best because it has always been. That's just the way it is.

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:46 pm

Lots of people choose Stanford over Harvard. It's not a ridiculous choice at all.

As for Columbia...

if all you wanted to do is work at a prestigious firm, I really don't see the difference between a lot of these top schools. But that's just me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hiro86

Bronze

Post by hiro86 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:53 pm

broken_image

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:57 pm

kjunfood wrote:lol ty for the posts, though sadly none of them seem to be serious :(

ok, let me rephrase so i dont hurt everyone's sensibilities:

why would one choose harvard law over columbia law? or why would some choose harvard law over stanford law?

the more specific the better
I'm matriculating at UT Austin this fall, but I'll answer the questions since I applied to all 4 schools and got dinged LOL.

Harvard/Columbia? HARVARD Both schools are large and expensive. Both schools endure brutal winters. Both schools are super competitive (the word on the streets). But Harvard has eliminated letter grades, though I'm unsure at how great the new grading system is working out. Harvard is also ranked higher and will probably remain above Columbia. I hate the idea of living in New York. I don't care much about faculty rep. (I don't aspire to become a law prof or a SCOTUS clerk.) Both schools have rock-star professors, most of whom will probably suck.

Harvard/Stanford? STANFORD. I'm a native Californian. I hate cold weather. Harvard's great. But so is Stanford. And though Harvard's course offerings far exceed Stanford's, Stanford offers more courses than any overachiever could take in 3 years.

Choosing a law school is, truly, a personal affair--at least, it should be, I think. What works for one person might not work for other. (The rankings alone should not dictate where you opt to matriculate.) Do you want to know how wildly personal it can be? Here's a shocker: I would've picked UT over Columbia--after sitting on the fence for about 10 mins. ;)

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:59 pm

I heard Harvard beat Chuck Norris in a bare-knuckled boxing competition.

kjunfood

New

Post by kjunfood » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:00 pm

zero1 wrote:Lots of people choose Stanford over Harvard. It's not a ridiculous choice at all.

As for Columbia...

if all you wanted to do is work at a prestigious firm, I really don't see the difference between a lot of these top schools. But that's just me.
i never meant to say it was ridiculous to choose stanford over harvard, and in fact, id assume MORE ppl would choose stanford over harvard. i just meant, why do SOME choose harvard over stanford?

seriously, no one has any idea? everyone just props up harvard as the best w/o a specific reason why? maybe a special program they have that is the best in the nation? maybe _____ professor that is amazing in _____ field? i mean, i guess we can all 'assume' harvard has some of the best programs for something in the nation and has some of the best professors in some field in the nation, but honestly...no one here knows any specifics?

is it just based on big law chances? because then columbia in NY is just as good of a choice as harvard...

...academia? well then what specifically about harvard gives such a good boost to those interested in academia? etc.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”