Case Western (13K Scholarship) vs. Rutgers- Camden (8K) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bucky232

New

Case Western (13K Scholarship) vs. Rutgers- Camden (8K)

Post by bucky232 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:10 pm

I am unable to decide between these two schools. Case offers a better program for the type of law I am leaning towards (either Healthcare Law or Intellectual Property), but I'm still not sure which law I want to practice. I am more interested in the quality of classes and where I can get the best education. However, I am in-state in NJ, so financially I'm better off going to Rutgers.

I know both are regional schools, but I don't mind staying in the Northeast region. However, I don't know much about the Cleveland region, so I'm not sure if I want to stay there or not.

Please help or refer me to this topic if it's already been discussed.

Thanks.

acertainslantoflight

New

Re: Case Western (13K Scholarship) vs. Rutgers- Camden (8K)

Post by acertainslantoflight » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:18 pm

If you are okay staying in NJ, but don't know about Cleveland, Rutgers sounds like a better bet. Although it is a regional school, my impression is that is has a much better reputation (I am on the East Coast). In state tuition + being alright working in the area is WAY more important than a desire to study a particular type of law. Unless a school is home to the top faculty in a given subject area (Case isn't) those specialty strengths that school like to fill their brochures with are weak selling points at best. You will very likely change your mind about what you want to do in law school anyway.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:21 pm

Go to Rutgers. Cleveland's biggest export is crippling depression...it's economy is horrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Aristone

New

Post by Aristone » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:16 pm

For the love of God....please only go to one of these schools unless your debt load is sub-40k or so. Neither provides amazing career opportunities in this economy. it all depends on where you want to work...Philly area or Pittsburg/Ohio. Given that, I know individuals from both who are unemployed with 80k in debt and regreetting their decision. Many individuals. My best advice is take a year off and figure out what you really want to do...you don't know how many lawyers I've met from both schools wishing they had done the same.

twa211

New

Post by twa211 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:44 pm

Case has an excellent Health Law program and the city of Cleveland has plenary opportunity for you to practice healthcare law. :lol: Plus, I hear that the Camden campus is in the middle of an unsafe, dirty area of NJ. Case's campus is beautiful and you'll definitely want to stay after school.

From a Cleveland native who now lives in Manhatan, for what it's worth.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:52 pm

Coolkatz,

I'm not saying Cleveland is heaven or anything but really is that your argument? Camden is one of the most dangerous cities in the country and Jersey is a cesspool. I'd still probably pick RC b/c of instate+NE but comon.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:54 pm

zettsscores40 wrote:Camden is the most dangerous city in the country and Jersey is a cesspool.
fixed for truth

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:57 pm

biv0ns wrote:
zettsscores40 wrote:Camden is the most dangerous city in the country and Jersey is a cesspool.
fixed for truth
Murder Mitten son. Best recognize.

AverageGuy

New

Post by AverageGuy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:20 am

Aristone - Case grads don't have a strong presence in Pittsburgh, which is dominated by law grads from Pitt and Duquesne (yes, a 4T school but it has a strong local alumni network that includes many local Judges). I'm sure you could find a few Case alumni but the Western PA and Pittsburgh market was never strong and is oversaturated with two law schools already.

According to Cleveland State, their grads dominate the Cleveland market. Case has been having some Dean problems and its recent pass rate for the Ohio bar has been troubling, although its ranking is better. The school building is attractive and the cost of living in Cleveland is lower than most urban areas. Even with the $13K scholarship there's a big price differential here. I'd pay attention to the criteria for keeping the scholarships.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:39 pm

zettsscores40 wrote:Coolkatz,

I'm not saying Cleveland is heaven or anything but really is that your argument? Camden is one of the most dangerous cities in the country and Jersey is a cesspool. I'd still probably pick RC b/c of instate+NE but comon.
I'm not denying that, but Rutgers-Camden will at least get you into neighboring Philly and possibly NY, as well. Cleveland is, well, dead. And NJ a cesspool? Please. It really depends on which part you're talking about. Newark/Camden/Trenton doesn't make up the entirety of the state.

Slinkman116

New

Post by Slinkman116 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:54 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:

I'm not denying that, but Rutgers-Camden will at least get you into neighboring Philly and possibly NY, as well. Cleveland is, well, dead. And NJ a cesspool? Please. It really depends on which part you're talking about. Newark/Camden/Trenton doesn't make up the entirety of the state.
Thanks for defending New Jersey. These morons that think they know NJ who probably only know Newark Airport (if they've even been in the state at all) should shut their mouths and only comment on things they know something about.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:01 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:

Ya but isn't the rest of Jersey landfills and a dirty "shore?"

Cranium

New

Post by Cranium » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:20 pm

IMO CASE is way too over priced. (Unless you want to go into health law bc they do have great connections with Cleveland Clinic) New Jersey is very dangerous and I wouldn't want to live there. But if I had to choose I would go with Rutgers. I know many Rutgers law grads that got great starting salaries working in NY.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ToadGoDead

Bronze

Post by ToadGoDead » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:30 pm

Cranium wrote:IMO CASE is way too over priced. (Unless you want to go into health law bc they do have great connections with Cleveland Clinic) New Jersey is very dangerous and I wouldn't want to live there. But if I had to choose I would go with Rutgers. I know many Rutgers law grads that got great starting salaries working in NY.
jersey isn't dangerous, they are just terrible drivers

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:34 pm

ToadGoDead wrote:
Cranium wrote:IMO CASE is way too over priced. (Unless you want to go into health law bc they do have great connections with Cleveland Clinic) New Jersey is very dangerous and I wouldn't want to live there. But if I had to choose I would go with Rutgers. I know many Rutgers law grads that got great starting salaries working in NY.
jersey isn't dangerous, they are just terrible drivers
1. Anyone who thinks NJ is dangerous is a moron. Camden/Newark? Yes, but not the rest of the state.

2. We're good drivers. The rest of the country sucks.

Whatisthis

Bronze

Post by Whatisthis » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:56 pm

Seriously, I wouldn't live in Camden if I could avoid it. It's really more like a 3rd world country than a US city.

Although, I am sure COL is extremely low (at least in $ terms).

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:00 pm

zettsscores40 wrote:Camden is the most dangerous city in the country and Jersey is the best state in the union, minus Camden, Newark, Trenton and well Northern Jersey in general.
Fixed again. I hear biglaw firms love Rutgers Camden grads... if you can go to school in Camden for 3 years and survive, I'd say you could handle anything some law firm would throw at you.

FWIW, I'd go to RU, just because its NJ's flaship state school, and its cheaper.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:04 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
zettsscores40 wrote:Camden is the most dangerous city in the country and Jersey is the best state in the union, minus Camden, Newark, Trenton and well Northern Jersey in general.
Fixed again. I hear biglaw firms love Rutgers Camden grads... if you can go to school in Camden for 3 years and survive, I'd say you could handle anything some law firm would throw at you.

FWIW, I'd go to RU, just because its NJ's flaship state school, and its cheaper.
Don't trash Northern NJ. You're thinking more totally NW NJ. Sussex, Morris and parts of Bergen and Passaic are really nice and pretty affluent. Lots of forest/hiking in Sussex County.

Also, Camden is #3, behind Detroit and Atlanta. Granted, I'd never want to live there...

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:48 pm

I'm all for promoting my alma mater, but if Rutgers is going to be cheaper, you should probably go there. If you have any specific questions about Case that might weigh into your decision, ask away. However, I would not recommend using specialty rankings to influence your decision.

green22

New

Post by green22 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:53 am

I'm interested in doing international law and I'm deciding between pitt and case. Which do you think is better and more likely to get me into nyc/dc/abroad with a good job?

They both (especially pitt) have large international law programs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”