Best Law School Gyms?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
granger

Re: Best Law School Gyms?

Postby granger » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:20 pm

prerna wrote:awesome thread...

cinefile 17 wrote:
zettsscores40 wrote:Michigan's gyms blow. CCRB is supposed to be getting a huge revamp I think.

+1

Anyone know about Columbia/UCLA

I'm staying at columbia for intern housing this summer and the gym is pretty decent...nothing state of the art, and it gets super crowded (even in the summer!) but not too shabby...

heh, one of my close friends is doing this as well.

chewdak

Postby chewdak » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:46 pm

basicgrey7 wrote:
sigmachiev wrote:University of Washington's IMA is still relatively new and freakin' awesome. Right by Husky Stadium. There are hidden rooms dedicated to boxing/MMA/judo located near the squash courts. Two floors worth of weight training stuff, tons of treadmills, pool, multiple bball courts, etc etc.
Do they have women's kickboxing? My local gym has a guy who did MMA and he was training the guys for MMA, but also opened a women's kickboxing. I really enjoyed it.

That room (unless things changed) is a nice small space with padded floor, it's open to everyone and people mostly use it for stretching.
Different martial arts clubs at UW are largely student run. There are all sorts of martial arts clubs and groups in the area. I used to go to open (men and women) sparring at a women's kajukenbo club --LinkRemoved-- once a month. I thought it was a pretty nice group.
And I thought I would mention that Bruce Lee and his son Brandon are buried on Capitol Hill.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:43 pm

Anyone know anything about Pitt's facilities?

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:49 pm

nightlight wrote:South Carolina's gym is ohmygod incredible. Image

But then you have to go to a gym that is called the "Strom Thurmond Fitness Center". Isn't that something anyone should refuse to do on principle?

Postby 20160810 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:19 pm

The ARC at UCD has all the equipment one might need, but during the year it tends to be kind of an undergrad crowd scene. Also the music they play is horrible, so an iPod is a must. Try doing squats to Celine Dion. I dare you.

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:24 pm

UF's gym facilities are top notch, the one closest to the law school (southwest) is actually expanding at the moment, and, while there are undergrads there, it attracts a lot of law school students and some from the other professional schools (medical and dental come to mind) as well. The music isn't bad, I think they have xm radio, but an ipod is always a good idea.

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:16 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:The ARC at UCD has all the equipment one might need, but during the year it tends to be kind of an undergrad crowd scene. Also the music they play is horrible, so an iPod is a must. Try doing squats to Celine Dion. I dare you.

Trust me, I have :lol: The gym I went to played that kind of stuff

paralegal

Postby paralegal » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Duke...OMG.....top notch.....totally amazing.....

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:46 pm

Like another poster said, Cincy has a nice gym.

MeechiganBoy

Postby MeechiganBoy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:21 pm

All I need for a gym is a basketball court and a few scrubs for me to run out of the building

superflush

Postby superflush » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:00 am

BarbellDreams wrote:Anyone know anything about Pitt's facilities?

These are from TLS member coolkatz321: http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z170 ... ittsburgh/
It doesn't look like he has any pics of the gym, but maybe he visited it.

(via this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=59585)

ghavee

Postby ghavee » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:07 am

I can personally vouch for Texas Tech and U of Cincinnati. Both schools have great rec centers. Tech recently constructed a badass leisure pool and Cincinnati's rec center has top notch equipment, in addition to an interesting archetectural design.

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/recsports/aquatics/leisure.php

LSHopeful2

Postby LSHopeful2 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:28 am

What other gyms are awesome? Anyone have pics of Duke's.

ndirish2014

Postby ndirish2014 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:52 am

Does anyone know anything about the facilities at Notre Dame?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:00 am

ndirish2014 wrote:Does anyone know anything about the facilities at Notre Dame?

Rolf's at ND is pretty awesome. It's only about a five minute walk from the Law School. Three regulation basketball courts and a full workout room...and much more. Check out this site for more info. --LinkRemoved--

etlien

Postby etlien » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:17 am

paralegal wrote:Duke...OMG.....top notch.....totally amazing.....

Does the law school have its own gym?

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:30 am

I can vouch for UIUC....it's great. Have been there everyday for the past month

LSHopeful2

Postby LSHopeful2 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:25 am

^How is the student body/social life/environment at UIUC? Do you really enjoy it there? What's there to do for fun, is there lots of spirit, parties, clubs, goings, etc. Thanks.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:46 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:^How is the student body/social life/environment at UIUC? Do you really enjoy it there? What's there to do for fun, is there lots of spirit, parties, clubs, goings, etc. Thanks.

Illinois is a great school, with an amazing student body and social life. If you are considering it, visit and/or attend the admitted students day.

SMU's gym sucks, but the scenery is breathtaking. Blondes as far as the eye can see.

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:51 pm

Well I'm currently an undergrad, but the social life here is excellent. There are clubs and student organizations for practically everything, and there is a pretty good bar scene as well (though not necessarily any "clubs" per say), not to mention the extremely high number of greek organizations. Overall I'd say quality of life in Champaign for a student is high, and I doubt that would change much for law students, aside from that they will have much less free time :lol:
Last edited by AboveTheLawSchool on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:52 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Anyone know anything about Pitt's facilities?

I went to Pitt for undergrad. The law school might have its own small facility - there were a lot scattered around campus, just a few cardio machines, some weights and a stretching area. But the main event at Pitt is the Peterson Events Center ("The Pete": http://www.peterseneventscenter.com/). The gym is technically just one part of the Pete and is officially known as Baierl, but nobody calls it that. I found it to be a really nice facility, clean and not crawling with people. It doesn't sound like it's nearly as extensive as some of the other gyms described here, though. It's just one floor. The treadmills, bikes and ellipticals are in front of glass windows looking onto a grassy field. The strength training machines and free weights are farther back. To one side there's a stretching/etc area with exercise balls, medicine balls, resistance bands, etc., and to the other side there are squash courts. Only occasionally was there a wait for equipment of more than 5 minutes. Usually it's pretty sparse. Locker rooms/showers are downstairs. There is a pool in a facility about a 3 minute walk from the Pete - it's decent sized, maybe Olympic? I'm not sure.

The major problem with the Pete is that it's on Upper Campus. They have shuttles leaving from the Cathedral every 10 minutes and it's about a ten minute ride. That's why the smaller facility might come in handy if the LS has one. There is a second pool on Lower Campus, smaller and i'm not sure how crowded it gets during the school year; I only went during the summer.

Depending where you're living, though, you might have better options off campus, if only for convenience's sake.

Edit: I should mention that all this information is about three years old.

sumus romani wrote:
nightlight wrote:South Carolina's gym is ohmygod incredible. Image

But then you have to go to a gym that is called the "Strom Thurmond Fitness Center". Isn't that something anyone should refuse to do on principle?

This is amazing.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:58 pm

hithere wrote:Boston U.'s center looks the best. Are non-students allowed to use the facilities?

For $10/day non-students can use it. Sounds expensive, but when you consider that that includes something like 3 basketball courts, tennis courts, lazy river, Olympic pool, and climbing wall...it's not bad.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:00 pm

Payne Whitney at Yale is the largest gym in the world apparently. Except maybe for this one in Russia that may or may not have collapsed.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Anyone know what UC Berkeley's is like?

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:14 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:
hithere wrote:Boston U.'s center looks the best. Are non-students allowed to use the facilities?

For $10/day non-students can use it. Sounds expensive, but when you consider that that includes something like 3 basketball courts, tennis courts, lazy river, Olympic pool, and climbing wall...it's not bad.

Wait what? :shock:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”