Georgetown vs Michigan vs Northwestern vs Duke

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school would you attend?

Total votes: 0

rayiner

Re: Georgetown vs Michigan vs Northwestern vs Duke

Postby rayiner » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:03 am

thesealocust wrote:
rayiner wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Everyone is struggling ITE, outside of HYS anyway. Bottom-third CCN grads are shitting themselves right now.

Bottom third of CCN were never exactly getting handed biglaw.

Columbia placed 74% V50 and 80% V100 for C/O 2007. Now, in Columbia's class, 82% went into private practice. That means that if you were top 90% you got a V50 firm, and people in the bottom 10% had to settle for V100.

I assume you're looking at the data from law firm addict. While it might be right, it's fairly suspicious, especially in so much as it doesn't jive at all with c/o 2005 data from here: http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/20080414 ... trends.pdf

This is the final C/O 2007 data: http://www.law.com/img/nlj/charts/20080 ... chools.jpg

The lawfirmaddict data is summer hiring. People with options can do a 2L SA to make some money (pay down debt) and go do something else after graduation. It's a better measure of who "can" get biglaw, because it gets rid of a lot of self-selection.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:04 am

Lizface killah wrote:
piercehan wrote:thanks all ... didnt realize it would be such a consensus on michigan. i was previously hung up on waiting for northwestern

Harvard is the Michigan of the East.

I thought Harvard was the Northwestern of the Northeast?

Lizface killah

Postby Lizface killah » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:05 am

rayiner wrote:
Lizface killah wrote:
piercehan wrote:thanks all ... didnt realize it would be such a consensus on michigan. i was previously hung up on waiting for northwestern

No, that's Yale.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:07 am

Lizface killah wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Lizface killah wrote:

No, that's Yale.

Ah, okay, because of all the weed, right?

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 am

How is OP still double deposited? Don't schools make these kids make a choice at some point?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:13 am

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:14 am

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:17 am

thesealocust wrote:
rayiner wrote:The lawfirmaddict data is summer hiring. People with options can do a 2L SA to make some money (pay down debt) and go do something else after graduation. It's a better measure of who "can" get biglaw, because it gets rid of a lot of self-selection.

Interesting. That chart still mystifies me in some regards. I'm still trying to figure out what the, say, 14% discrepancy between HLS and Columbia is. Most of it is made up for by #s of clerks, but then, for example, if you compare UVA and HLS you still wind up with a bunch of HLS grads who you figure should have sweeter jobs than the UVA grads.

I don't think the data is complete enough to draw many solid conclusions beyond 'USNews rankings jive fairly well with employment prospects', but your point is taken and appreciated!

I would presume that a bunch of HLS grads and many CCN grads ultimately end up going to highly-selective boutiques that aren't in the NLJ250 or Vault 100.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:18 am

thesealocust wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:How is OP still double deposited? Don't schools make these kids make a choice at some point?

On June 15th schools get a list of who is double deposited. OP is confused or a flame, as much should have been obvious several times over from the first post on the thread. This thread is now for other things.

If OP is still deposited at Georgetown he needs to get his ass withdrawn.

Mr. Fancy

Postby Mr. Fancy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:27 am

The clear answer is Michigan. Withdraw from Georgetown and Duke, and stay on the waitlist at NW.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:25 am

rayiner wrote:The rankings belie the fact that Michigan is substantially more prestigious than the other three schools on the list. If you don't have any money at GND, then Michigan is the obvious choice.

Rayiner, you really need to get over this self-hating thing you have going on. While Michigan may be a bit more prestigious than Duke and NW, it is not "substantially" so. And we have no frickin clue what the OP's position really is (what he wants to do, where he wants to do it, what these places are willing to pay, ect.) so we don't know what the clear choice is.

Have a little pride man. :roll: :wink:

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:41 am

Bosque wrote:
rayiner wrote:The rankings belie the fact that Michigan is substantially more prestigious than the other three schools on the list. If you don't have any money at GND, then Michigan is the obvious choice.

Rayiner, you really need to get over this self-hating thing you have going on. While Michigan may be a bit more prestigious than Duke and NW, it is not "substantially" so. And we have no frickin clue what the OP's position really is (what he wants to do, where he wants to do it, what these places are willing to pay, ect.) so we don't know what the clear choice is.

My self-hating is directed at elements other than where I'm going to law school. NU is definitely a better fit for me, culturally, than say Michigan. That being said, I'd still say Michigan is substantially more prestigious than Duke or NU considering its historical status. I wouldn't say that of Penn, for example, but I'd say it of Michigan.

As for school pride: if the Wildcats ever win another bowl game, I'll buy a silly purple shirt.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:39 pm

rayiner wrote:
Bosque wrote:

My self-hating is directed at elements other than where I'm going to law school. NU is definitely a better fit for me, culturally, than say Michigan. That being said, I'd still say Michigan is substantially more prestigious than Duke or NU considering its historical status. I wouldn't say that of Penn, for example, but I'd say it of Michigan.

As for school pride: if the Wildcats ever win another bowl game, I'll buy a silly purple shirt.

The key word there is "historic".

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:51 pm

Bosque wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Bosque wrote:

The key word there is "historic".

Eh, prestige is one of those things where the whole "steeped in history" stuff actually matters. Michigan has a substantial edge over NU and to a somewhat lesser extent Duke in assessment scores, which is basically just the measure of prestige, no?

Remember, I qualified my statement with "no money at DNG". Obviously money would change my assessment. I don't really know what OP wants to do, but whether it's PI or biglaw or clerkships, Michigan seems to be the better choice.

Now, I personally like Duke and NU better as schools ("steeped in history" doesn't give me a stiffie), but as far as I'm concerned, a school is just a vehicle to get you from point A to point B. I don't really care about the color of that vehicle.

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:48 pm

How do you feel about cold weather?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”