What top law school love high lsat/low gpa splitters?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CE2JD

Re: What top law school love high lsat/low gpa splitters?

Postby CE2JD » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:23 pm

Apparently, Cornell likes all applicants with low GPAs, not just the ones with high LSAT scores.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:25 pm

CE2JD wrote:Apparently, Cornell likes all applicants with low GPAs, not just the ones with high LSAT scores.

How does Cornell maintain its bizarre LSAT 25/75 anyway? Do they just auto-reject 165s and auto-ding 169s?

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:13 am

Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:24 am

krispykitten wrote:I feel like such an idiot asking this, but is "auto-ding" accept or reject?

I think he must have meant auto-accept. A ding is a rejection, so that must be a typo.

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:31 am

Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:36 am

rayiner wrote:
CE2JD wrote:Apparently, Cornell likes all applicants with low GPAs, not just the ones with high LSAT scores.

How does Cornell maintain its bizarre LSAT 25/75 anyway? Do they just auto-reject 165s and auto-ding 169s?

They probably auto-reject 165s and everyone with a 169+ chooses another T14 (Duke basically auto-admits 3.5+/169) while 168/weak GPA people are stuck with Cornell as their only T14 option. Nobody wants to live in Ithaca.

tryster0

Postby tryster0 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:22 pm

Hey i know i'm revamping this splitter thread months later but what are the chances of 2.9/170+ w/ 2yrs WE at USC, UCLA and UT?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:46 am

tryster0 wrote:Hey i know i'm revamping this splitter thread months later but what are the chances of 2.9/170+ w/ 2yrs WE at USC, UCLA and UT?

zero. Those schools love GPA.

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:38 pm

does Fordham overlook poor GPAs for high LSAT scores? 168+

williemayshayes

Postby williemayshayes » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:05 pm

Is Texas friendlier to in-state splitters than they are to out-of-state?

It's well documented on here that Texas really doesn't budge on their love for high GPA's. However, one would think that as an in-state resident, who UT is required by law to compose at least 65% (?) of their incoming class of, the chances for a 170+/3.1-3.2 splitter are exponentially higher in-state than out. How valid is that statement, to all the TX residents out there?

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:47 pm

rayiner wrote:
tryster0 wrote:Hey i know i'm revamping this splitter thread months later but what are the chances of 2.9/170+ w/ 2yrs WE at USC, UCLA and UT?

zero. Those schools love GPA.

+1.

3.16/175 and I was rejected at UT within a month despite growing up and going to HS in TX, and waitlisted at UCLA. Just one data point, but nonetheless.

tryster0

Postby tryster0 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:31 pm

This may seem like i'm grasping at straws but i'm also URM and am now living in TX. Gonna give it a shot anyway and let yall know...

williemayshayes

Postby williemayshayes » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Well that's a shame. UT Austin is my dream law school.

My GPA will be roughly between 3.15 and 3.2 at this rate (entering my senior year on a spike, and looking to make said spike even steeper)...and if the above poster with the 175 LSAT was dinged there...maybe there was some mitigating factor which led to his rejection (I don't mean to be nosy, but I'ma venture a guess that you left home for undergrad, thus leading to your being reclassified as a non-resident by UT). But in general, I'm getting the feeling that I'll need to break 175, and spend a year or two after undergrad getting work and/or volunteer experience in the Lone Star State. Luckily, I have family in College Station, TX who have been based there since the 1970's, whom we're very close with and have visited several times (we live in Ohio). Thus, I have extremely tangible ties to the state that I can call upon, so that I am not looked upon as a carpetbagger, and am given the absolutely massive boost of being reclassified as a TX resident. My cousin has a few older friends who are looking to attend law schools, and he said a couple were also low 3's/170+ (one made a 174) who were accepted by UTA, but chose to leave home.

If anyone who has experience dealing with UTA can give me an idea as to what sort of LSAT will do the job for me as an in-state applicant, I would really appreciate it. Thus, I can focus all my energies on getting my LSAT to/past that point, and worry about establishing my economic presence in the state such that I can obtain residency and put my best foot forward for the Fall 2012 class. For the record, I'm taking a year off so I plan to apply very very early. Or better yet, in order to absolutely secure in-state status, I am even considering takin 2 years off (maybe one year w/ Americorps, and another year working for a nonprofit or doing the temp agency thing).

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:23 am

To UT traditional splitter TX hopefuls let this crush your dreams (minus URM's)
http://texas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Seriously, there are many schools out there that HATE low GPA's and UT is one of them. They don't care about your ties, they don't care about your WE, they don't even care if you have a good explanation for it. If you really get a 172+ you're better off at UVA (http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats) if you want to work in Texas.

Sub3 splitters with WE: http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
Splitters with no WE: http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats (PT only)

Know that as a low-GPA splitter you are at a massive disadvantage before you even take the LSAT. Don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise. Trust me on this.

williemayshayes

Postby williemayshayes » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:39 am

keg411 wrote:To UT traditional splitter TX hopefuls let this crush your dreams (minus URM's)
http://texas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Seriously, there are many schools out there that HATE low GPA's and UT is one of them. They don't care about your ties, they don't care about your WE, they don't even care if you have a good explanation for it. If you really get a 172+ you're better off at UVA (http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats) if you want to work in Texas.

Sub3 splitters with WE: http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
Splitters with no WE: http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats (PT only)

Know that as a low-GPA splitter you are at a massive disadvantage before you even take the LSAT. Don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise. Trust me on this.

Well, for the utterly confident tone of your voice there...the 25th percentile GPA is a 3.33 whilst the 25th LSAT is a 162. And this is the total class profile for 2009...not LSN aggregates. There were over a 1000 kids accepted to UT Austin last year...a fraction of those are on LSN. Literally every single applicant in my loose number's range (170+ LSAT, GPA from 3.0 to 3.3) was an out of state applicant. What you say holds true for those kids especially. LSN is not the admissions gospel, and unlike a shocking number of folks on here, I'm long past worshipping it as such.

I will be doing everything in my power to ensure that I am considered an in-state applicant (moving and working there, as I have discussed ad nauseam to deaf ears). If I can leave the 75th pct LSAT as far behind in the dust as humanly possible, a nd break the 3.2 threshold...as an IN STATE APPLICANT, it only makes sense that I like my chances and take a shot at it given UT's mandate from the TX legislature to matriculate at least 65% of their incoming class from the in-state applicant pool. I have been told by people I know in TX that the admissions picture is drastically different for in-staters than for out of staters. The kind of score that one can get into UT with as a in-stater (non-URM even...the folks I spoke to are Indian-American...not URM by any stretch), one would not even sniff a T20.

I may be a lowly 0L but I pride myself on making sure I do all my homework before getting into something. Especially something that is as unpredictable as admission to a State law school which has an enormous emphasis on the "state" part of it.

Besides...what's the worst that can happen...UVA/Vandy at sticker or with small money, SMU/Bama/UGA with huge money. And all of this can happen while I try to pay my respects to Bevo.

EDIT - took another look at LSN...this time at the 07-08 and 08-09 cycle, and there was a good handful of applicants in those class who were sub 3.2's who were accepted with 170+ LSAT, and a boatload of wait lists. All the acceptances were from Texas.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:30 pm

I was a splitter who just went through this past cycle (and I have significant WE). This is how I know. It's horrible.

sherpaorlawschool

Postby sherpaorlawschool » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:58 pm

keg411 wrote:I was a splitter who just went through this past cycle (and I have significant WE). This is how I know. It's horrible.

Were you an in-state applicant?

rklafehn

Postby rklafehn » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:28 pm

A quick search on lawschoolnumbers is pretty revealing.

Search Sub-3.0 GPA and LSAT scores between 170 and 180 (take everything with a grain of salt because softs and/or ED could enhance your chances):

Note: WLs and Pendings are counted as not being accepted and there is of course a very small sampling but the results appear to be pretty conclusive!

Y = N/A
H = 0 for 6
S = 0 for 3
C = 0 for 11
C = 0 for 6
N = 0 for 6
B = 0 for 3
P = 0 for 6
M = 0 for 5
V = 4 for 25! 3 were ED and 2 were URM!
D = 0 for 7
N = 4 for 10! But they love quality WE!
C = 0 for 10
G = 3 for 18! 2 were the same as the ones from V!

So to answer your question posed in the thread title: very few top law schools love extreme splitters! If I were in your shoes, I would learn ED to UVA or G, pray to be accepted, and learn to love the DC market!

And now I am going to attempt to stop obsessing about TLS and law school and go out! Bye!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”