What top law school love high lsat/low gpa splitters?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Aeroplane

Re: What top law school love high lsat/low gpa splitters?

Postby Aeroplane » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:30 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:Get 170+. Do Early Decision at MVP, NU, or GULC.

Get 175+. Do Early Decision at one of CCN.

You think CCN would take a 2.9x GPA? Even with 180 and ED I am dubious. But open to hearing success stories.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:32 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
NU's out then. With your numbers, reaches would be something like UMich and Duke, targets would be something like Cornell, GULC, and UT, and your safeties would be something like WUSTL, UMTC, UIUC, and W&L.

Do you think Duke is possible with that low of a gpa?! It's basically my dream school, but I had understood that they weren't really splitter friendly ...

Frankly, anything below a 3.4 for Duke would be tough. I'm not even sure a 180/3.0 would get in. Schools like GULC, NU, and Cornell are much more forgiving of a low GPA.

Yep, pretty much what I thought. :(

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:34 pm

Aeroplane wrote:

You think CCN would take a 2.9x GPA? Even with 180 and ED I am dubious. But open to hearing success stories.

If you're over a schools 75th percentile LSAT (or even their median) and you apply ED, it is to their advantage (in terms of the rankings) to accept you.

mochafury

Postby mochafury » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:46 pm

It also depends on what counts as work experience, no? In my case, for example, I've had two pretty prestigious summer internships and research experience during the school year. But I'd be applying straight out of UG. Would NU ding someone like that?

If OP gets the LSAT scores he/she's practicing in, I think Duke, GULC, NU, Cornell and maybe Penn will take a look.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:47 pm

mochafury wrote:It also depends on what counts as work experience, no? In my case, for example, I've had two pretty prestigious summer internships and research experience during the school year. But I'd be applying straight out of UG. Would NU ding someone like that?

If OP gets the LSAT scores he/she's practicing in, I think Duke, GULC, NU, Cornell and maybe Penn will take a look.

NU is generally looking for full time post-grad WE.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:51 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:

If you're over a schools 75th percentile LSAT (or even their median) and you apply ED, it is to their advantage (in terms of the rankings) to accept you.
Yes, I'm aware of how the rankings work in that regard. Nonetheless, I am dubious that 2.9x would have a serious shot at CCN, barring truly extraordinary softs (published author, etc). LSN shows zero <3.0 admits to CC and two <3.0 admits to NYU, both URM. The lowest GPA in Chicago's entire class last year (enrolled students =/= admitted, but I think most people with 2.9x would be happy to go to Chicago if admitted) was 3.21.

I am open to hearing about non-URM's admitted to CCN with <3.0 GPA's, but I haven't seen a single one yet.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:53 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:

Yes, I'm aware of how the rankings work in that regard. Nonetheless, I am dubious that 2.9x would have a serious shot at CCN, barring truly extraordinary softs (published author, etc). LSN shows zero <3.0 admits to CC and two <3.0 admits to NYU, both URM. The lowest GPA in Chicago's entire class last year (enrolled students =/= admitted, but I think most people with 2.9x would be happy to go to Chicago if admitted) was 3.21.

I am open to hearing about non-URM's admitted to CCN with <3.0 GPA's, but I haven't seen a single one yet.

It was a ballpark guess - I haven't followed CCN this cycle.

So, OP:

Get 170+. Do Early Decision at MVP, NU, or GULC.

Get 175+, consider doing regular decision everywhere.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:59 pm

Aeroplane wrote:I am open to hearing about non-URM's admitted to CCN with <3.0 GPA's, but I haven't seen a single one yet.

There was a 180/3.1 around here that got into NYU. That's the closest I can recall seeing.

lawlover829

Postby lawlover829 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Gtwon.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:I am open to hearing about non-URM's admitted to CCN with <3.0 GPA's, but I haven't seen a single one yet.

There was a 180/3.1 around here that got into NYU. That's the closest I can recall seeing.
Yeah, MiniMao. Off the WL last cycle. There was also a 3.1/175 engineer & Air Force guy who got into Chicago this cycle. http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/clarencio Nearly same numbers as me, yet they didn't even toss me a pity WL :(

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:06 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Yeah, MiniMao. Off the WL last cycle. There was also a 3.1/175 engineer & Air Force guy who got into Chicago this cycle. http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/clarencio Nearly same numbers as me, yet they didn't even toss me a pity WL :(

I can see a 180/2.99 getting into NYU without having incredible softs, though. It's not a great chance, but I don't think it would be out of the ordinary. HYSC is a different story, obviously.

enygma

Postby enygma » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:35 pm

rayiner wrote:
Peter0061 wrote:Don't leave out UMN... although I think for Low GPA splitters they do like WE.

UMN outright dinged me this cycle...

+1, instate too.

I got straight dinged by GULC, and wl-dinged early by UVA. I think UVA gave me a pity WL, and then dinged me after my LOCI so as to not keep up my hopes.

My suggestion for the OP is to pick a school in the T-14 you think you have a decent shot at (penn, uva, gulc, nu if your WE is not as bad as you say), and then apply there early. it'll save you a lot of pain and up-front cash that way. otherwise you'll probably end up at WUSTL or MN - not a bad fate, really. Also, make sure you write "why *" essays for each school - I'm convinced that's what fucked me with MN.

Spaceman_Stiff

Postby Spaceman_Stiff » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:38 pm

enygma wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Peter0061 wrote:Don't leave out UMN... although I think for Low GPA splitters they do like WE.

+1, instate too.

I got straight dinged by GULC, and wl-dinged early by UVA. I think UVA gave me a pity WL, and then dinged me after my LOCI so as to not keep up my hopes.

My suggestion for the OP is to pick a school in the T-14 you think you have a decent shot at (penn, uva, gulc, nu if your WE is not as bad as you say), and then apply there early. it'll save you a lot of pain and up-front cash that way. otherwise you'll probably end up at WUSTL or MN - not a bad fate, really. Also, make sure you write "why *" essays for each school - I'm convinced that's what fucked me with MN.

I thought you were going to be attending UMN! I'm sorry to hear that that isn't the case...

UMN is definitely not a bad fate :).

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:43 pm

is the ED at NYU binding?

[EDIT] Answered my own question--passed over it on first read of their website. Answer is yes, for anyone who didn't know.

enygma

Postby enygma » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:45 pm

Peter0061 wrote:
enygma wrote:
rayiner wrote:

+1, instate too.

I thought you were going to be attending UMN! I'm sorry to hear that that isn't the case...

i was honestly hoping to stay here in minneapolis. but i'm pretty thrilled that it made my decision to go to NU a no-brainer.

prospectiveprospect

Postby prospectiveprospect » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:46 pm

so what are schools in the top 14 besides hysc that i should apply to and also ones i should stay away from. i am not stuck on going to a top 14 law school but i am interested in biglaw if that makes a difference

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:48 pm

prospectiveprospect wrote:so what are schools in the top 14 besides hysc that i should apply to and also ones i should stay away from. i am not stuck on going to a top 14 law school but i am interested in biglaw if that makes a difference

Berkeley probably isn't worth the app fee. Chicago, NYU, and Penn might not be worth it unless your LSAT is very high (173+ at least). All else are definitely worth it.

Z'Barron

Postby Z'Barron » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:48 pm

Duke

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:52 pm

missvik218 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
NU's out then. With your numbers, reaches would be something like UMich and Duke, targets would be something like Cornell, GULC, and UT, and your safeties would be something like WUSTL, UMTC, UIUC, and W&L.

Do you think Duke is possible with that low of a gpa?! It's basically my dream school, but I had understood that they weren't really splitter friendly ...

Frankly, anything below a 3.4 for Duke would be tough. I'm not even sure a 180/3.0 would get in. Schools like GULC, NU, and Cornell are much more forgiving of a low GPA.

Yep, pretty much what I thought. :(

Still possible. I'm languishing on their wait list and my gpa is under a 3.1. I think I heard they were going off a less gpa heavy index recently, but I don't think I ever confirmed it.

Spaceman_Stiff

Postby Spaceman_Stiff » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:56 pm

enygma wrote:
Peter0061 wrote:

i was honestly hoping to stay here in minneapolis. but i'm pretty thrilled that it made my decision to go to NU a no-brainer.

Wow, Congrats on NU! Not too bad of a back-up plan to Minny.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:03 pm

hayman wrote:wustl is good with your #s

+1 ... with a 170+ and if you apply ED, WUSTL will likely offer at least a 1/2 scholarship.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:05 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
hayman wrote:wustl is good with your #s

+1 ... with a 170+ and if you apply ED, WUSTL will likely offer at least a 1/2 scholarship.

Errr, never apply ED in hopes of getting a scholarship. That would be ultimate fail.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:08 pm

Errr, never apply ED in hopes of getting a scholarship. That would be ultimate fail.

Yeah, after I reconsidered, you are correct! Although acceptance rates for EDs are somewhat higher, it does appear as though scholarship amounts are somewhat lower.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:45 pm

I'm below 3. I would not waste time and money (or my only ED shot) on CCN, even with a 180.

Applying to HYSCCN, B or D with a GPA more than a hair's width below 3, even with a 180, is somewhere between a shot in the dark and a sop to your parents. At least, if LSN / Chiashu stats are trustworthy. I'm willing to be proven wrong here (please, for the love of God, somebody prove me wrong).

In fact, per hourumd, the only T14 that reliably and regularly takes us miserable sub-3.0 bastards is NU. Search for GPA 2.5-2.95 and LSAT 170-180 on hourumd. NU is ~57%, all the rest are below 25%.

The picture gets a bit grimmer if you click through and look at the schools, and notice that some of the apparently higher acceptance rates are to schools that usually straight reject splitters. Grimmer still if you look at LSN for 2008-2009. And of course, a couple of the acceptance-heavy sub-3.0 people in hourumd have pretty unassailable addenda listed in their LSN profiles (including 'my parents were killed' and 'I had a brain tumor').

Your best chance at T14 is to get a 170+ and at least a year's work experience, then shoot for NU. Without WE, get a 170+ and apply to VG and maybe M. Chances in either case improved by a 173.

WUSTL and UIUC are reasonable around 167 and good bets a few points above that.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:27 pm

NayBoer wrote:In fact, per hourumd, the only T14 that reliably and regularly takes us miserable sub-3.0 bastards is NU. Search for GPA 2.5-2.95 and LSAT 170-180 on hourumd. NU is ~57%, all the rest are below 25%.

:lol:

I like that. Too bad law schools don't :(. (And unlike the OP, I'll have 4+ years WE when I apply; hopefully that will help in putting the GPA far enough away).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”