U. Maryland vs. U. Baltimore Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jcwilsn1

Bronze

Re: U. Maryland vs. U. Baltimore

Post by jcwilsn1 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:53 pm

Fiyero wrote:No I don't. He's a good friend of my best friend, so I only know how he got into UB and roughly how successful he is, but not much else. Regardless, I think it shows that with a strong work ethic and solid work experience, your law school means nothing for all but the most elite of legal jobs.
This board is filled of anecdotal evidence and people refuting anecdotal evidence as rare and not of the norm, so I won't bother debating this.

Regarding the OP, I would pick UMD over UB every time.

Fiyero

New

Post by Fiyero » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:59 pm

jcwilsn1 wrote:
Fiyero wrote:No I don't. He's a good friend of my best friend, so I only know how he got into UB and roughly how successful he is, but not much else. Regardless, I think it shows that with a strong work ethic and solid work experience, your law school means nothing for all but the most elite of legal jobs.
This board is filled of anecdotal evidence and people refuting anecdotal evidence as rare and not of the norm, so I won't bother debating this.

This board is also full of people who aren't even in law school, let alone the workforce. Like I said, it may be anectodal, but every lawyer I know came from UB, and all make 6 figure+ salaries, a few of which are millionaires.

I do, however, agree I'd prefer UMD over UB. And my decision will likely come down to the same thing unless I can miraculously pull off Georgetown or GWU. And while we're on this topic, anyone know what LSAT one would need with a 3.47 LSAC GPA to get into UMD if you're a Maryland resident?
Last edited by Fiyero on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcwilsn1

Bronze

Post by jcwilsn1 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:02 pm

Fiyero wrote:
jcwilsn1 wrote:

This board is also full of people who aren't even in law school, let alone the workforce. Like I said, it may be anectodal, but every lawyer I know came from UB, and all make 6 figure+ salaries, a few of which are millionaires.

I do, however, agree I'd prefer UMD over UB. And my decision will likely come down to the same thing unless I can miraculously pull off Georgetown or GWU.
well good luck!

bedbathandbeheadings

New

Post by bedbathandbeheadings » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:08 pm

Fiyero wrote:
jcwilsn1 wrote:

I do, however, agree I'd prefer UMD over UB. And my decision will likely come down to the same thing unless I can miraculously pull off Georgetown or GWU. And while we're on this topic, anyone know what LSAT one would need with a 3.47 LSAC GPA to get into UMD if you're a Maryland resident?
probably around a 155 for Maryland

Shikaka

New

Post by Shikaka » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:12 pm

cfishy305 wrote:Berger and King recruit UBalt.

I'm sorry, but that is funny.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:43 pm

bedbathandbeheadings wrote:
Fiyero wrote:
jcwilsn1 wrote:

I would have to guess higher. I was one of the lowest out of state LSAT acceptances though, but they do really look for the complete applicant. If u are a URM, you might be alright with 155, but otherwise, i dont think i would want to be much lower than 160.

hi_im_josh

New

Post by hi_im_josh » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:20 am

Do they still recruit at CaTTTTholic University? Or are they just doing resume collections?

cfishy305

New

Post by cfishy305 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:36 am

Shikaka wrote:

I'm sorry, but that is funny.
i would have been deeply disappointed if people didn't catch the pun or were to pompous to pay attention. thanks for validating my life/day/night/past hour or so really.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:38 am

Fiyero wrote:
jcwilsn1 wrote:

Um...160 is their 25. I'd say a 155 wouldn't get you shit

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bedbathandbeheadings

New

Post by bedbathandbeheadings » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:12 pm

Fiyero wrote:
jcwilsn1 wrote:

Um...160 is their 25. I'd say a 155 wouldn't get you shit
not true--have you seen Maryland's evening program numbers? low 150s will get you in

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:58 pm

Ah...I wasn't aware we were talking PT

bedbathandbeheadings

New

Post by bedbathandbeheadings » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:07 pm

Maryland's part-time numbers are a joke. There are probably people at TTTT toilets that have better numbers than Maryland's evening students.

debbiestevens

New

Post by debbiestevens » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:45 pm

I read somewhere that UBalt and UMaryland are all part of the same system--i.e., if you get into one school, you can take classes at the other.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

debbiestevens

New

Post by debbiestevens » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:49 pm

Also, make sure you are comfortable with the grading system at whichever school you pick. Maryland has a crazy grading system--I was told that it is not a traditional curve. Rather, the professors take the averages of the grades and they have to average out to a B-. This is bad because potentially half the class could get Fs while the other half get As (averaging out to the B-).

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:50 pm

debbiestevens wrote:I read somewhere that UBalt and UMaryland are all part of the same system--i.e., if you get into one school, you can take classes at the other.
i have never heard of that before.... ever. But, doesn't mean that isn't possible, i just have serious doubts about it. they are not both state schools are they? I dont think U Balt. is.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:51 pm

debbiestevens wrote:Also, make sure you are comfortable with the grading system at whichever school you pick. Maryland has a crazy grading system--I was told that it is not a traditional curve. Rather, the professors take the averages of the grades and they have to average out to a B-. This is bad because potentially half the class could get Fs while the other half get As (averaging out to the B-).
i feel like there would be hell and lots of very pissed off students if a professor did this. and, from people i know there, i haven't heard of this happening. just sayin'....

PS - debbie, what did u decide?

debbiestevens

New

Post by debbiestevens » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:56 pm

hoffb86 wrote:
debbiestevens wrote:Also, make sure you are comfortable with the grading system at whichever school you pick. Maryland has a crazy grading system--I was told that it is not a traditional curve. Rather, the professors take the averages of the grades and they have to average out to a B-. This is bad because potentially half the class could get Fs while the other half get As (averaging out to the B-).
i feel like there would be hell and lots of very pissed off students if a professor did this. and, from people i know there, i haven't heard of this happening. just sayin'....

Well, the last practice test I took, I got a 175. But that was a practice test I had already taken 3 months ago, so I don't know how much stock to put into that score. I am thinking I am going to retake. I am pretty sure that they average the grades at Maryland rather than go with the traditional curve. I doubt half the class fails, but potentially with the grading system, it could happen. Also, I think that both Maryland and Balt are part of the larger UMD system, making it possible to take classes at either school (if you are in at one). I'll have to double check, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:06 pm

debbiestevens wrote:
hoffb86 wrote:

Well, the last practice test I took, I got a 175. But that was a practice test I had already taken 3 months ago, so I don't know how much stock to put into that score. I am thinking I am going to retake. I am pretty sure that they average the grades at Maryland rather than go with the traditional curve. I doubt half the class fails, but potentially with the grading system, it could happen. Also, I think that both Maryland and Balt are part of the larger UMD system, making it possible to take classes at either school (if you are in at one). I'll have to double check, though.
U. Baltimore is definitely not part of the UMD system, as in, it doesn't operate under the "University of Maryland" banner.... that being said, however, it may be publicly funded by the state of maryland though, because they do have in-state tuition. either way, I'm not sure if students can take classes at the other schools, but I am definitely curious!

I've heard from current students that the professors follow a pretty standard curve on around a 2.8-ish GPA (B/B- usually). While this isn't exactly an easy curve, at least it is not inflated like American's (i hear they curve at 3.45, which is simply ridiculous). Also, GPA doesn't really matter, what really matter's is class rank.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:14 pm

jcwilsn1 wrote:

I know someone who knows someone who met someone who lived with a girl who went to UB and then won the lottery. So I say UB because she is a MILLIONAIRE!

But in all seriousness, U Maryland by a longshot. You have the opportunity to go to a solid school. Take it.

reza9333

New

Post by reza9333 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:13 am

Update,

I chose UMD

The curve is not averaged, I talked to several of my professors about the grade distribution and I was told relatively the same thing by both of them. They grade all the exams, assigning a score of 1-100. They then list all the grades in order of highest to lowest. Lastly, they cut off the top 10-20% for A's, bottom ~20% for C's, & everything in between gets a B of some sort. They only assign F's if you truly underperform on the exam. I was told by both professors that the grade distribution is practically always a bell curve with a strong peak at a B.

Also, check out the link below and click on the first category in the middle, "Class Rank". You will see that the 50% mark ranges from ~3.0-3.25.

http://www.law.umaryland.edu/students/r ... s.html#a03

blagar

New

Post by blagar » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:43 pm

Bumping an old thread for summer results to think about for those who are interested in BigLaw jobs.

2Ls and evening 3Es from Maryland thus far this year have gotten offers from, just off the top of my head:

V100
Covington & Burling
Arnold & Porter
hogan lovells
Holland & Knight
Blank Rome

NJL250
Epstein Becker
Buchanan Ingersoll
Saul Ewing

I've heard of (at least) callbacks at a bunch more, including Piper (they regularly hire MD grads in the Baltimore office), Crowell & Moring, Jones Day (DC and NY), Bingham, K&L Gates, Gibson Dunn, and the list goes on. Other Baltimore and DC V100 and NJL 250 offices that usually/often hire from MD include Venable, Miles & Stockbridge, Duane Morris, Ballard Spahr, Arent Fox, Patton Boggs, etcetera.

No idea on UBaltimore, but I'd guess it's significantly less. However, UBaltimore places decently in Baltimore itself, including occasionally the V100 firms that have offices in Baltimore. Now, that's usually the extreme top of the class from what I understand, but it can be done. Baltimore also apparently teaches more specifically Maryland law, while Maryland has a broader view of things.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”