Clerkship Placement Stats 2009 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cornellbeez

Bronze

Re: Clerkship Placement Stats 2009

Post by cornellbeez » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:41 pm

rayiner wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:
kurama20 wrote:[
Yeah cause 20-30 degrees in March is obviously not cold at all. :roll: Visit Atlanta and stop spitting bullshit out of your ass.
Average is 45 in march...which to be honest, really isn't that cold. Then again, I'm covered with a thick layer of insulating blubber.
I'm not from the South...

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:42 pm

What will happen to TLS when people run out of stupid shit to argue about? I bet it will resemble this Mr. Show sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfUv5t71_Xo

Honestly it is a stupid argument but when some anonymous pimple faced, harry potter fanboy virgin starts making ad hominem attacks on me because I said that it gets really cold in Ann Arbor, Michigan I'm not going to sit back and just take it.
Last edited by kurama20 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:43 pm

^^^ On that chart, Michigan as fatter than North Carolina. So Durham still wins. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Also, the Northeast is pretty skinny, but that's because they pay so much in rent they can't afford to eat too much...
Last edited by rayiner on Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:43 pm

kurama20 wrote:
What will happen to TLS when people run out of stupid shit to argue about? I bet it will resemble this Mr. Show sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfUv5t71_Xo

Honestly it is a stupid argument but when some anonymous pimple faced harry potter fan virgin starts making ad hominem attacks on me becasue I said that it gets really cold in Ann Arbor, Michigan I'm not going to sit back and just take it.
Right...this harry potter fan attacked you because you think Durham is better than Ann Arbor and Ithaca...despite never having been to either.

Just look at the map of America please. I guess the South does win, for most obese region in America.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:45 pm

rayiner wrote:^^^ On that chart, Michigan as fatter than North Carolina. So Durham still wins. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Also, the Northeast is pretty skinny, but that's because they pay so much in rent they can't afford to eat too much...
I never said I was from Michigan...I'm a New Englander. I think a lot of Midwesterners, west coasters (not southwesterners), and southerners are obese. The South does win by far though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:46 pm

Right...this harry potter fan attacked you because you think Durham is better than Ann Arbor and Ithaca...despite never having been to either.

When the hell did I say I'd never been to Durham? Even if I had not you think that is a valid reason to start making baseless personal insults? I guess that's why you're a virgin and still trying to figure out what Harry will be up to in his next movie oh well....hell that kid who plays him will probably get laid before you do
Last edited by kurama20 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:47 pm

WEATHER FIGHT! WEATHER FIGHT!

Ah, I have to admit, not wanting to go back to cold (I'm originally from near D.C., and hated going to class in 20 degree weather....bleh) was one of the factors that made me choose UT.

Its 101 degrees outside right now, and I just took a 10 mile bike ride to go get some tasty ass groceries. The center of the universe - Austin Texas, y'all. :mrgreen:

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:47 pm

kurama20 wrote:

When the hell did I say I'd never been to Durham? Even if I had not you think that is a valid reason to start making baseless personal insults? I guess that's why you're a virgin and still trying to figure out what harry will be up to in his next movie oh well....
I was saying you had never been to Ann Arbor nor Ithaca, idiot.

Reading comprehension fail.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:48 pm

cornellbeez wrote:
rayiner wrote:^^^ On that chart, Michigan as fatter than North Carolina. So Durham still wins. :mrgreen:

I never said I was from Michigan...I'm a New Englander. I think Midwesterners, west coasters (not southwesterners), and southerners are all obese. The South does win by far though.
The south does have a lot of fat people, but according to your own chart, it's not really appreciably worse than the Midwest. Do you notice a huge difference between 22% obesity rate and 25%? As much as you notice March highs of 45 degrees versus March highs of 62? Look at the Durham weather chart: you can wear short sleeves for 9 months of the year! How incredibly awesome is that?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:48 pm

Esc wrote:WEATHER FIGHT! WEATHER FIGHT!

Ah, I have to admit, not wanting to go back to cold (I'm originally from near D.C., and hated going to class in 20 degree weather....bleh) was one of the factors that made me choose UT.

Its 101 degrees outside right now, and I just took a 10 mile bike ride to go get some tasty ass groceries. The center of the universe - Austin Texas, y'all. :mrgreen:
101? And you are riding a bike? Wtf is wrong with you?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:49 pm

cornellbeez wrote:

I was on the beach this weekend. 90 degrees and 90% humidity. It was heaven. :mrgreen:

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:50 pm

cornellbeez wrote:

I'm in good physical condition and don't mind the heat 8)

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:51 pm

rayiner wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:

I was on the beach this weekend. 90 degrees and 90% humidity. It was heaven. :mrgreen:
Yeah, you guys are crazy. I even thought California weather was too hot for me...and it only hits regularly about 75 in Northern California. (It gets about 90 down in Southern California though.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:52 pm

75 degrees can be chilly, especially if there's a breeze :(

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:52 pm

kurama20 wrote:One thing I've noticed about TLS is that a lot of the people are from the north and have barely even visited the south. They start talking out of their ass about the weather and other things and it becomes quickly obvious that they have no idea what they are talking about. It defintiely gets cold in the south, just only in the fall/winter. For those of us who have spent time in both regions we know what we are talking about. People don't realize that the south gets cold, it just doesn't get to the mind blowing single digits like some places in the north get. Having been to both places and experiencing the level of cold that even Philly, Conneticut, and NYC offer, it is rather obvious to me how cold it gets in places like Mich and upstate NY. I even work with people from the area and they warn me how cold it gets. It can be insane.
First, calm down. Second, know who you're talking to before you make an ass out of yourself. Third, take this to some thread where it has something to do with the topic at hand, if you want to continue acting like a child. Also, I was born in Connecticut, grew up in South Carolina, and moved to Michigan from the Bay Area. I have also lived in Miami, Houston, L.A.; Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Colorado. And my SO is from western New York State. I haven't just "been" to these places -- most of them I lived in for between a year and a decade. So yes, I know EXACTLY what the weather is like in all of them, and in particular relative to each other.
Last edited by snotrocket on Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:54 pm

snotrocket wrote:
kurama20 wrote:One thing I've noticed about TLS is that a lot of the people are from the north and have barely even visited the south. They start talking out of their ass about the weather and other things and it becomes quickly obvious that they have no idea what they are talking about. It defintiely gets cold in the south, just only in the fall/winter. For those of us who have spent time in both regions we know what we are talking about. People don't realize that the south gets cold, it just doesn't get to the mind blowing single digits like some places in the north get. Having been to both places and experiencing the level of cold that even Philly, Conneticut, and NYC offer, it is rather obvious to me how cold it gets in places like Mich and upstate NY. I even work with people from the area and they warn me how cold it gets. It can be insane.
First, calm down. Second, know who you're talking to before you make an ass out of yourself. Third, take this to some thread where it has something to do with the topic at hand, if you want to continue acting like a child. Also, I was born in Connecticut, grew up in South Carolina, and moved to Michigan from the Bay Area. I have also lived in Miami, Houston, LA, and Pennsylvania, and my SO is from western New York State. I haven't just "been" to these places -- most of them I lived in for between a year and a decade. So yes, I know EXACTLY what the weather is like in all of them, and in particular relative to each other.
I love snotrocket.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:55 pm

Esc wrote:75 degrees can be chilly, especially if there's a breeze :(
I wear a light jacket for anything under 65.

<--- born in a country where the average January high is 78.
Last edited by rayiner on Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:56 pm

Since we seem to have forgotten, this is a thread about CLERKSHIPS. So to get things back on track, here are the proportions of clerks accounted for by schools in the various US News Tiers:

% / N / TIER
0.394 561 T14
0.298 424 T1
0.188 268 T2
0.076 108 T3
0.044 63 T4

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:56 pm

rayiner wrote:
have a great time at Northwestern next year :lol:

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:58 pm

I didn't know you were from there as well.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:58 pm

gk101 wrote:
rayiner wrote:
This will be me... in March:

--ImageRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:00 pm

rayiner wrote:
gk101 wrote:
rayiner wrote:
This will be me... in March:

--ImageRemoved--
I can see the face and you are not wearing gloves. not going to cut it. Last winter, the coldest it got was -38 w/ wind chill but that was in Feb I think. Not that bad

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:01 pm

snotrocket wrote:Since we seem to have forgotten, this is a thread about CLERKSHIPS. So to get things back on track, here are the proportions of clerks accounted for by schools in the various US News Tiers:

% / N / TIER
0.394 561 T14
0.298 424 T1
0.188 268 T2
0.076 108 T3
0.044 63 T4
so if i am top 20% at mich, what are the odds of getting a clerkship? preferably in new york, chicago, boston, or dc.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:09 pm

cornellbeez wrote:so if i am top 20% at mich, what are the odds of getting a clerkship? preferably in new york, chicago, boston, or dc.
Well, considering that only around 14% of the class gets federal clerkships, and that it's safe to assume those are mostly (not exclusively, but for sure mostly) the top people in the class -- I would say not terrible, but not great either. It could happen, but you're going to need a healthy dose of luck. Clerkship hiring is all over the map though, and every judge has their own criteria. Most of them use grades to winnow the pile, and higher is always better. But except for people at the extremes, no one thing is going to guarantee you the clerkship you want, or even assure you any clerkship at all, or take you entirely out of the running.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:13 pm

snotrocket wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:so if i am top 20% at mich, what are the odds of getting a clerkship? preferably in new york, chicago, boston, or dc.
Well, considering that only around 14% of the class gets federal clerkships, and that it's safe to assume those are mostly (not exclusively, but for sure mostly) the top people in the class -- I would say not terrible, but not great either. It could happen, but you're going to need a healthy dose of luck. Clerkship hiring is all over the map though, and every judge has their own criteria. Most of them use grades to winnow the pile, and higher is always better. But except for people at the extremes, no one thing is going to guarantee you the clerkship you want, or even assure you any clerkship at all, or take you entirely out of the running.
This is why I am going to have no social life in skool. I shall be study nerd :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”