Best Law School Campus Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hopeandwork

New

Best Law School Campus

Post by hopeandwork » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:33 pm

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here! I plan (hopefully) to apply to law school by the end of this year (depending on how LSATs go).

Here's my question: which law schools have the best campuses? This can be based on the way the campus looks, its architecture, its facilities, the upkeep of the grounds, or any number of other factors.

I ask this only because I realize that if I am to spend three years somewhere I want it to at least look decent. I went by Columbia Law the other day and was surprised at how small the law school section was. The building was rather non-attractive and I don't know if i would be 100% happy or inspired in such a setting. Obviously, there are more important factors in deciding on which schools to apply to, but this is one of the factors that is important to me. It's maybe 6th on a list after academics, job placement, prestige, location, student body, etc.

Justice4All

New

Re: Best Law School Campus

Post by Justice4All » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:39 pm

Hands down WUSTL

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:40 pm

hopeandwork wrote:Hello everyone,

This is my first post here! I plan (hopefully) to apply to law school by the end of this year (depending on how LSATs go).

Here's my question: which law schools have the best campuses? This can be based on the way the campus looks, its architecture, its facilities, the upkeep of the grounds, or any number of other factors.

I ask this only because I realize that if I am to spend three years somewhere I want it to at least look decent. I went by Columbia Law the other day and was surprised at how small the law school section was. The building was rather non-attractive and I don't know if i would be 100% happy or inspired in such a setting. Obviously, there are more important factors in deciding on which schools to apply to, but this is one of the factors that is important to me. It's maybe 6th on a list after academics, job placement, prestige, location, student body, etc.
Unlike academics, job placement, and prestige, campus appeal is entirely qualitative and subjective. Without knowing your general tastes it'll be extremely hard to offer any suggestions.

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Dick Whitman

Bronze

Post by Dick Whitman » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Best view: Northwestern.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hopeandwork

New

Post by hopeandwork » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:51 pm

Justice4All wrote:Hands down WUSTL
is the entire law school just Anheuser-Busch Hall? the building itself is stately.

hi_im_josh

New

Post by hi_im_josh » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:51 pm

Yale

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:53 pm

creditedresponse1

New

Post by creditedresponse1 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:55 pm

hi_im_josh wrote:Yale

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:55 pm

Michigan. Cornell and Yale are lovely too, though.

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:57 pm

Why is this in any way important?

Michigan's facilities vs. Columbia's? Michigan wins, easily.

Columbia wins in every other respect (99% of which are more important than facility aesthetics).

So...is there any chance you'd pick Michigan?

Seriously...get into a few places, then start dithering about whether or not school "X" is pretty enough...

Redwyng4

New

Post by Redwyng4 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:59 pm

Michigan

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:59 pm

There's an entire thread devoted to this already.

/thread

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:00 pm

MrOrange wrote:Why is this in any way important?

Columbia wins in every other respect (99% of which are more important than facility aesthetics).

Seriously...get into a few places, then start dithering about whether or not school "X" is pretty enough...
I don't want to get into but it seems an exaggeration to say that CLS trumps Michigan that decisively.

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:00 pm

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:01 pm

dresden doll wrote:

I don't want to get into but it seems an exaggeration to say that CLS trumps Michigan that decisively.
Crap...where's the exit?

billykelly76

New

Post by billykelly76 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:02 pm

You know, I felt exactly the same way when I visited Columbia. UVA is also an incredible disappointment. It made me wonder why the schools chose to make their law schools so hideous, especially in comparison to the main campuses. The entire town of Charlottesville is beautiful except for the law school. Why?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawlover829

Bronze

Post by lawlover829 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:02 pm

Hands down
UVA

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:04 pm

MrOrange wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

Crap...where's the exit?
Eh, as I said, I don't want to get into it. No need to exit. :)

Whoever noted that the question of campus beauty is subjective is credited, as exemplified by my SO who somehow managed to find Chicago better looking than Michigan.

hopeandwork

New

Post by hopeandwork » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:06 pm

soullesswonder wrote:

Unlike academics, job placement, and prestige, campus appeal is entirely qualitative and subjective. Without knowing your general tastes it'll be extremely hard to offer any suggestions.
there's definitely truth to what you say, but i think some people can agree that there are certain schools that are just really up there in terms of their campus and their facilities. remember those lists from princeton review while applying to undergrad? best food, best campus, best professors. there is no law school equivalent out there. personally, the best grad school campus that i have visited (i haven't visited many) is Harvard Business School. it was an actual campus onto itself separate from the college. the buildings were pristine, the architecture was fitting, and the whole place just seemed to work well together. i would want to study there if i was to go business school.

that cordoned off gray structure is Columbia law. very underwhelming. i do like columbia's main campus however.

HBS. pic off google images

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:12 pm

I am a fan of Mercer's law building:

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hopeandwork

New

Post by hopeandwork » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:16 pm

well i want to make a list of where to apply and campuses are one of the factors im considering. albeit it's not the most important, but it is still a factor. and i don't have the privilege to visit every single school i am considering.

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:19 pm

hopeandwork wrote:

well i want to make a list of where to apply and campuses are one of the factors im considering. albeit it's not the most important, but it is still a factor. and i don't have the privilege to visit every single school i am considering.
Let me rephrase, then...if you're capable of getting into Columbia, and you hesitate because you think the building is dingy...you're silly. Extremely effing silly.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:28 pm

Yay, pictures! Yes, I know it isn't the law school.

--ImageRemoved--

lawlover829

Bronze

Post by lawlover829 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:35 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”