Samford (Cumberland)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BAMAjcm10

Samford (Cumberland)

Postby BAMAjcm10 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:49 pm

Can anyone give me any opinions/advice on Cumberland School of Law? I did not think I would get in, but recently got a surprising acceptance letter and am leaning towards the school.
I was all but decided on St. Thomas in Florida, mainly because they were offering me 14k a year. However, I guess for reassurance, is it in my best interest, form a career prospective, to attend Cumberland because of the job opportunities?
Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

TruffleMomma

Re: Samford (Cumberland)

Postby TruffleMomma » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:15 pm

I withdrew from Samford when I realized I needed to put down a deposit before they came up with a number for a scholarship. I worked for an attorney for several years who graduated from Samford and one of my duties was to pay his personal bills... one of which was student loan debt of 1200 a month. Ouch! The good thing is how he has worked hard and is able to afford those massive payments on his salary. Now, he is a partner and the debt is all gone!

On locations, unless you want to stay in Florida, I would go for Samford. It is an excellent program, and the attorneys around Atlanta who came from Samford had no problems finding positions. I imagine it would be the same in all the south (is Florida considered a southern state still??)

Good luck in your decision.....

orangeswarm

Postby orangeswarm » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:02 am

By your username, I assume you are from bama (I know, genius right). If so, and you want to stay there, I'd go to Samford hands down. I work for a partner who graduated from Samford and he has told me that he didn't regret it one bit. Although he had trouble breaking into out of state markets, he said that getting a job in Alabama is much easier. Now, if you were choosing between Samford and Bama, obviously it would be a different story, but I can't imagine St. Thomas would place better in bama. Do a search on martindale and see how many samford grads are in bama v. st. thomas.

Wheretogo2013

Postby Wheretogo2013 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:57 pm

TruffleMomma wrote:I withdrew from Samford when I realized I needed to put down a deposit before they came up with a number for a scholarship. I worked for an attorney for several years who graduated from Samford and one of my duties was to pay his personal bills... one of which was student loan debt of 1200 a month. Ouch! The good thing is how he has worked hard and is able to afford those massive payments on his salary. Now, he is a partner and the debt is all gone!

On locations, unless you want to stay in Florida, I would go for Samford. It is an excellent program, and the attorneys around Atlanta who came from Samford had no problems finding positions. I imagine it would be the same in all the south (is Florida considered a southern state still??)

Good luck in your decision.....

Not true...I got my scholarship before I paid a dime.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:02 am

St. Thomas is looked at pretty poorly in the Florida area, and to my knowledge, it's an extremely regional school. Florida's market is oversaturated with law schools and in our own personal Florida rankings, St. Thomas doesn't reach pretty high on the list. Plus, Miami is really expensive to live and you have UMiami, UF and FSU grads all attempting to get a job in that area.

I'd go for Cumberland.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”