How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hithere
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby hithere » Thu May 21, 2009 1:35 am

A'nold wrote:Actually, bedbath didn't say anything offensive IMO, just saying a certain city sucks. Lots of cities suck: L.A., Miami, New Orleans, Cleveland, Memphis, etc. but I'm sure there are people who would disagree with me on that. I was just talking with a dude the other day that is from Detroit and actually likes the area.



I can't speak for the rest of Detroit, but their airport is surprisingly really nice and very state of the art compared with other big cities.

dickfitzwell
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:40 am

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby dickfitzwell » Thu May 21, 2009 2:23 am

.
Last edited by dickfitzwell on Fri May 22, 2009 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:29 am

dickfitzwell wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
dickfitzwell wrote:If you attend coolkatz321 will make love to you and UW simultaneously, so you have the added benefit of a 3 way.

UW does not suck btw.....


:roll:

You really put the "dick" in your name. Maybe there's a reason they haven't accepted you.



coolkatz take a joke.........


Normally I consider myself pretty sarcastic, but after the other comment where you went after my LSAT score...yeah, I found it annoying.

dickfitzwell
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:40 am

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby dickfitzwell » Thu May 21, 2009 2:30 am

.
Last edited by dickfitzwell on Fri May 22, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby 02082010 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:42 pm

Coolkatz got a 157?

Edit: Didn't mean to ask and sound like an asshole. I just thought I remembered you saying your UW waitlist was YP but you really wanted to go there and were just waiting for them to respond.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby dresden doll » Thu May 21, 2009 3:16 pm

To anyone that claims Madison sucks - pox on your house. That is all.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby Bankhead » Thu May 21, 2009 3:20 pm

A decent school, but not as good as IU Bloomington.

BobDole34
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:03 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby BobDole34 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:57 pm

based on what? a sudden bump in the US News rankings? Last year when I started this search not a single person suggested Indiana over Madison. Starting this month, there's some prestige gap.

They're two strong regional schools where 75% of the class has no shot at biglaw, major feeders into middle-markets (mil, indy), and a strong desire by many students to get into Chicago. Don't even bother citing NYC and DC placement; that's 1/10 students, at best.

hithere
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby hithere » Thu May 21, 2009 5:03 pm

For what it's worth, the student population at IUB is objectively better (at least, numbers wise) than Wisconsin:

http://indiana.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

http://wisconsin.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby Bankhead » Thu May 21, 2009 5:07 pm

BobDole34 wrote:based on what? a sudden bump in the US News rankings? Last year when I started this search not a single person suggested Indiana over Madison. Starting this month, there's some prestige gap.

They're two strong regional schools where 75% of the class has no shot at biglaw, major feeders into middle-markets (mil, indy), and a strong desire by many students to get into Chicago. Don't even bother citing NYC and DC placement; that's 1/10 students, at best.


Based on me being a IU alum.

BobDole34
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:03 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby BobDole34 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:09 pm

gotta love the 164 wall where 3.9/163s get waitlisted but a 3.1/164 gets in

that said, an extra LSAT point or slight increase at the median means what? attend brooklyn law school because it has a 162-166 LSAT split?

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:37 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Coolkatz got a 157?

Edit: Didn't mean to ask and sound like an asshole. I just thought I remembered you saying your UW waitlist was YP but you really wanted to go there and were just waiting for them to respond.


Nah, I never said mine was YP. I actually said my waitlist was a mystery and that I thought I'd be rejected...basically, I thought I had a very, very slim chance of getting off the WL. I got lucky, though, and couldn't be happier.

User avatar
hoffb86
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:11 am

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby hoffb86 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:45 pm

UW is a great school, and if you want to work in Madison, or Milwaukee, and to a lesser extent throughout the midwest, it is a great option. Great opportunities having a court that handles a TON of patent litigations within it (in fact, my client has a trial coming up there in a couple of weeks). Foley & Lardner, as the OP had mentioned, is based in wisconsin, and does a ton of said patent litigations, good firm, we use them as co-counsel often.

If I could tolerate the cold after my 3 years in Buffalo, I would have stayed on the waitlist... UW is a great school, and I've heard madison is beautiful and a great place to spend 3 years, an awesome college town. But, I opted for a slightly warmer climate.

User avatar
sawwaverunner
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:28 am

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby sawwaverunner » Thu May 21, 2009 5:46 pm

dickfitzwell wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
dickfitzwell wrote:If you attend coolkatz321 will make love to you and UW simultaneously, so you have the added benefit of a 3 way.

UW does not suck btw.....


:roll:

You really put the "dick" in your name. Maybe there's a reason they haven't accepted you.



coolkatz take a joke.........


Unless you actually know Coolkatz in real life--as opposed to through an internet forum--that is a really weird thing to say. I don't even recall seeing him on this thread before you made the comment.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby A'nold » Thu May 21, 2009 5:55 pm

dickfitzwell wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
dickfitzwell wrote:If you attend coolkatz321 will make love to you and UW simultaneously, so you have the added benefit of a 3 way.

UW does not suck btw.....


:roll:

You really put the "dick" in your name. Maybe there's a reason they haven't accepted you.



coolkatz take a joke.........


He has proven incapable of this many, many times.

User avatar
anthonyc350
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby anthonyc350 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:57 pm

lol madison sucks

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:03 pm

To the OP:

At rowing? Not at all!

--ImageRemoved--

Image

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:05 pm

A'nold wrote:He has proven incapable of this many, many times.


:roll:
Jesus Christ A'nold. Jesus Christ...Christ, Jesus.

My remark was aimed at a comment he made in the Madison decisions thread. And yes, it was a dick comment.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby danquayle » Thu May 21, 2009 7:58 pm

bedbathandbeheadings wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
bedbathandbeheadings wrote:Madison is an overrated shithole. You will be bored to death if you go to Wisconsin (not to mention frozen in the winter and bug-bitten when the lake thaws out). But, if you enjoy being harassed by homeless asking for change, then you would feel right at home walking down State Street in Madison.


Yes, we know they rejected you, but enough is enough. Stop your incessant bitching.


I didn't even apply there and wouldn't ever apply there (unless they moved to SoCal, DC, or NYC). I call it like I see it--you can honestly say you would rather be in Madison than NYC? DC? LA? Yeah...right.


Ok. I wasn't planning on posting, but I can't believe someone is actually dogging Madison. I've lived in three big ten college towns, none of which is Madison, and I can say without a doubt that I enjoyed visiting Madison far better than any of the ones that lived in (AA, EL and Bloomington). Madison is tops for college towns, especially since it actually is a fairly decent city in own right.

And for whats its worth, I absolutely hate LA and am not too fond of DC. You just seem to want to be an 'important' city, which isn't necessarily high on most, or even a few, peoples lists. There is definitely an equal, if not larger, population that absolutely loves living in a college towns and benefiting from the culture, energy and intelligent population without all the negatives of larger cities. What do you think one of the big appeals of academia is?

Historically speaking, Wisconsin was always a well-reputed law school and probably the third best Big Ten law school. For that reason alone, it still carries a lot of weight with some older (hiring) partners. Its the same thing that goes for Michigan, but obviously not as extreme.

User avatar
bedbathandbeheadings
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:01 am

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby bedbathandbeheadings » Thu May 21, 2009 8:15 pm

danquayle wrote:
bedbathandbeheadings wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
bedbathandbeheadings wrote:Madison is an overrated shithole. You will be bored to death if you go to Wisconsin (not to mention frozen in the winter and bug-bitten when the lake thaws out). But, if you enjoy being harassed by homeless asking for change, then you would feel right at home walking down State Street in Madison.


Yes, we know they rejected you, but enough is enough. Stop your incessant bitching.


I didn't even apply there and wouldn't ever apply there (unless they moved to SoCal, DC, or NYC). I call it like I see it--you can honestly say you would rather be in Madison than NYC? DC? LA? Yeah...right.


Ok. I wasn't planning on posting, but I can't believe someone is actually dogging Madison. I've lived in three big ten college towns, none of which is Madison, and I can say without a doubt that I enjoyed visiting Madison far better than any of the ones that lived in (AA, EL and Bloomington). Madison is tops for college towns, especially since it actually is a fairly decent city in own right.

And for whats its worth, I absolutely hate LA and am not too fond of DC. You just seem to want to be an 'important' city, which isn't necessarily high on most, or even a few, peoples lists. There is definitely an equal, if not larger, population that absolutely loves living in a college towns and benefiting from the culture, energy and intelligent population without all the negatives of larger cities. What do you think one of the big appeals of academia is?

Historically speaking, Wisconsin was always a well-reputed law school and probably the third best Big Ten law school. For that reason alone, it still carries a lot of weight with some older (hiring) partners. Its the same thing that goes for Michigan, but obviously not as extreme.


As I said, I call it like I see it. I don't like being bored, so Madison is not for me. There are lots of great college towns that offer more amenities and have a wider variety of things to do than Madison. Let's take College Park, Maryland, for example. It's cleaner and more affluent than Madison and if you get bored, you can hop on the metro and go into downtown DC for a night on the town in a matter of minutes. Madison is out in the middle of nowhere. Sitting around a lake getting drunk is not my idea of a good time and Madison just does not offer many other options in terms of things to do. Just my .02.

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:27 pm

bedbathandbeheadings wrote:
As I said, I call it like I see it. I don't like being bored, so Madison is not for me. There are lots of great college towns that offer more amenities and have a wider variety of things to do than Madison. Let's take College Park, Maryland, for example. It's cleaner and more affluent than Madison and if you get bored, you can hop on the metro and go into downtown DC for a night on the town in a matter of minutes. Madison is out in the middle of nowhere. Sitting around a lake getting drunk is not my idea of a good time and Madison just does not offer many other options in terms of things to do. Just my .02.


You just officially outed yourself as a troll. College Park, MD is a shithole that's been crime-ridden for ages, and I'm pretty sure most people will back me up here. Time for you to take your Wisconsin rejection and leave, troll.

I'm also [not] surprised at your ignorance. Anyone who has half a brain could easily find something to do in Madison. Yeah, it's a college town but it has theater, art and plenty of culture. Cya.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby dresden doll » Thu May 21, 2009 8:35 pm

Okay, let me chime in once more - Madison haters, suck it.

Whoever doesn't find something to love about Madison is 1) alcohol hater, 2) Halloween hater, 3) overall douche. Most likely, (s)he is a combination of all three. Either way, (s)he sucks.

Madison is awesome and I say that as someone who detested every little freaking bit of WI winter.

User avatar
anthonyc350
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby anthonyc350 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:30 pm

Went to UG at uw-madison. its fun when you're immature and drinking all the time, once you grow up you realize there aren't many alternatives and its pertty much a dull place.

Plus there are only two seasons, harsh cold and construction time.

User avatar
hi_im_josh
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby hi_im_josh » Fri May 22, 2009 12:15 am

Wisc has got some good professors, so if you want a good letter of recommendation, that might be a selling point for the school. If you are not into getting drunk, though, Madison can become extremely boring extremely quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1hHD5EG ... re=related

jcwilsn1
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:35 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby jcwilsn1 » Sun May 24, 2009 2:22 am

coolkatz321 wrote:
bedbathandbeheadings wrote:
As I said, I call it like I see it. I don't like being bored, so Madison is not for me. There are lots of great college towns that offer more amenities and have a wider variety of things to do than Madison. Let's take College Park, Maryland, for example. It's cleaner and more affluent than Madison and if you get bored, you can hop on the metro and go into downtown DC for a night on the town in a matter of minutes. Madison is out in the middle of nowhere. Sitting around a lake getting drunk is not my idea of a good time and Madison just does not offer many other options in terms of things to do. Just my .02.


You just officially outed yourself as a troll. College Park, MD is a shithole that's been crime-ridden for ages, and I'm pretty sure most people will back me up here. Time for you to take your Wisconsin rejection and leave, troll.

I'm also [not] surprised at your ignorance. Anyone who has half a brain could easily find something to do in Madison. Yeah, it's a college town but it has theater, art and plenty of culture. Cya.


+1. College park is horrible! very bad area. I'm not a big drinker but I'm into outdoorsy stuff and Wisconsin is absolutely beautiful.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lawnerd87, SunDevil14 and 3 guests