How much does the University of Wisconsin suck? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jcwilsn1

Bronze

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Post by jcwilsn1 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:40 pm

ruleser wrote:
jcwilsn1 wrote:
ruleser wrote:I can add only this: I ran a whole bunch of schools by a top lawyer at a big firm on the coast, such as W&M, W&L, OSU, GMU, none of them had reps that carried EXCEPT Wisconsin - which he said had a good rep that he had heard way out there... this is for law - I'm not sure why the discussion her is so much about other subjects, which are irrelevant...
not that it exactly matters, but I'm assuming east coast?
West
interesting. thanks. I understand that its most likely not going to happen, but i'd like to push west(specifically to seattle) post-grad if there is an opportunity. IP ftw

jcwilsn1

Bronze

Post by jcwilsn1 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:45 pm

AbsolutLax wrote:
Wow...I must have been in another dimension the last time I was in DC getting harassed by people with makeshift shacks made of cardboard boxes on the main drag.
"Main drag" what are you talking about? Do you mean Constitution ave? or Pennsylvania ave? Do you even know the street names? I work in D.C. every day and have never been harassed by people. Guess you just look like a sucker.
do you ever walk on K or L st? how much shitty music can you stand? oh, and keep walking on penn ave (SE) about 5 blocks past eastern market and tell me if you get harassed or not.

AbsolutLax

New

Post by AbsolutLax » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:46 pm

Stop visually accosting the poor readers of TLS with your shitty pictures of Madison

do you ever walk on K or L st? how much shitty music can you stand? oh, and keep walking on penn ave (SE) about 5 blocks past eastern market and tell me if you get harassed or not.
:lol:
Last edited by AbsolutLax on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:48 pm

AbsolutLax wrote:Stop visually accosting the poor readers of TLS with your shitty pictures of Madison
:roll:

Let's be realistic, it could be worse--I could be posting pictures of Arlington, Virginia.

AbsolutLax

New

Post by AbsolutLax » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:51 pm

lol, at least I won't be trapped in Wisconsin the rest of my life

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hi_im_josh

New

Post by hi_im_josh » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:53 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
AbsolutLax wrote:Stop visually accosting the poor readers of TLS with your shitty pictures of Madison
:roll:

Let's be realistic, it could be worse--I could be posting pictures of Arlington, Virginia.
What are you gonna get a picture of in Arlington--MS-13?

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:54 pm

AbsolutLax wrote:lol, at least I won't be trapped in Wisconsin the rest of my life
Actually, for my personal enjoyment: Care to elaborate on why Madison is a shithole?

Oh, and btw: UW-Madison>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GMU.

jcwilsn1

Bronze

Post by jcwilsn1 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:58 pm

jcwilsn1 wrote:
AbsolutLax wrote:
Wow...I must have been in another dimension the last time I was in DC getting harassed by people with makeshift shacks made of cardboard boxes on the main drag.
"Main drag" what are you talking about? Do you mean Constitution ave? or Pennsylvania ave? Do you even know the street names? I work in D.C. every day and have never been harassed by people. Guess you just look like a sucker.
It seems like you are conceding my point? I loved DC when I lived there, but to say you've never been harassed in DC is crazy. You're saying you've never been stopped by a guy in the metro asking for change? Never gotten sick of the crazy mandolin player at federal triangle/farragut west/capitol south stops? etc.,

AbsolutLax

New

Post by AbsolutLax » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:39 am

I was just messing with you coolkatz, seriously I couldn't care less about Madison, i'm sure its nice, and you'll do very well there.
You're saying you've never been stopped by a guy in the metro asking for change? Never gotten sick of the crazy mandolin player at federal triangle/farragut west/capitol south stops? etc.
I work at the Farragut west stop and love that Mandolin player...maybe i'm just more cultured then you? But yeah I have been asked for change...never harassed though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jcwilsn1

Bronze

Post by jcwilsn1 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:53 am

AbsolutLax wrote:I was just messing with you coolkatz, seriously I couldn't care less about Madison, i'm sure its nice, and you'll do very well there.
You're saying you've never been stopped by a guy in the metro asking for change? Never gotten sick of the crazy mandolin player at federal triangle/farragut west/capitol south stops? etc.
I work at the Farragut west stop and love that Mandolin player...maybe i'm just more cultured then you? But yeah I have been asked for change...never harassed though.
that could be true. hah. I wouldnt consider myself extremely cultured.

Well thank god you work at the farragust west stop. I'm glad that we have people like you on lobbyist row! maybe corruption will slow down a bit with your kind of antics. (haha unless you work at that farragut sandwich shop)

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:08 pm

jcwilsn1 wrote:
AbsolutLax wrote:
I lived on the Hill, walked around the neighborhood all the time, and unless you walk all the way over the Anacostia, you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm white, male, and for all I know probably arrogant-looking...no one gave a crap or felt the need to harass me.

jcwilsn1

Bronze

Post by jcwilsn1 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:18 pm

MrKappus wrote:
jcwilsn1 wrote:
AbsolutLax wrote:
I lived on the Hill, walked around the neighborhood all the time, and unless you walk all the way over the Anacostia, you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm white, male, and for all I know probably arrogant-looking...no one gave a crap or felt the need to harass me.
wow, alittle harsh. Anacostia, across the river? I'm talking about 12-16th st. I lived on East Capitol St and definitely know what I'm talking about.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:26 pm

jcwilsn1 wrote:wow, alittle harsh. Anacostia, across the river? I'm talking about 12-16th st. I lived on East Capitol St and definitely know what I'm talking about.
Maybe a little...but you were kinda maligning a whole section of DC that I really like!! You made it sound like Calcutta, haha. That said, I recall that way east by the river and/or over it could get a little dicey, esp at night. Didn't mean the harshness, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jcwilsn1

Bronze

Post by jcwilsn1 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:36 pm

MrKappus wrote:
jcwilsn1 wrote:wow, alittle harsh. Anacostia, across the river? I'm talking about 12-16th st. I lived on East Capitol St and definitely know what I'm talking about.
Maybe a little...but you were kinda maligning a whole section of DC that I really like!! You made it sound like Calcutta, haha. That said, I recall that way east by the river and/or over it could get a little dicey, esp at night. Didn't mean the harshness, though.
I remember I ordered a pizza from Dominoes and it right off Potomac Ave metro stop at like 8:30 one night. Had people hootering and hollering for my pizza. The hill is definitely my favorite part as well. The strip on Penn Ave is alot of fun (barring hawk and dove)

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:58 pm

jcwilsn1 wrote:I remember I ordered a pizza from Dominoes and it right off Potomac Ave metro stop at like 8:30 one night. Had people hootering and hollering for my pizza. The hill is definitely my favorite part as well. The strip on Penn Ave is alot of fun (barring hawk and dove)
Haha ok that does actually sound like some scenes I saw in DC. Ppl always left me alone though, for some reason. Man, now I miss DC and want to move back. And I doubt my non-T14 degree's going to travel there. So it goes.

minnesconsin

New

Post by minnesconsin » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:57 pm

Jay Phatsby wrote:
minnesconsin wrote:Hi Everyone, reading this board for a long time, never posted. Boring summer job so need to find something to keep me busy...

I think I have a little perspective on this topic as I graduated from Wisconsin UG and will be attending the law school in the fall. I am very excited about being in Madison for another three years, however I will admit that I had to (at least a little bit) convince myself of that. Originally from the Twin Cities, born and raised a Gopher (hockey esp) fan, have a younger sibling wo will be a junior at the University of Minnesota in the fall. In all honesty, if I would have been accepted to the UMN law school I'd be back in Minneapolis in a heartbeat, partly because of the reputation of the school, partly because Mpls/St. Paul is a great place to live and is fun, mostly because it's home.

Madison is great for undergrad, I wouldn't have picked any other school over it. In fact, I turned down going to the University of Minnesota UG. As MN residents, we get instate tuition in Wisconsin, so the quality of the school for the amount of money spent on tuition is a great deal. We'll see how Madison is for grad/law school and for being a little bit older.

I'll probably chime in more but this is getting way to long for my first post.
Where do you want to work after law school? (Region/city)
I'm open to options. I'd be happy staying in Wisconsin/Minnesota. Also think I would enjoy Chicago if I get the opportunity. If I have the chance to go warm, I'd love that. Have some family/SO reasons for wanting to stay in the upper midwest, at least for now. From what I've gathered in talking to attorneys, UW is a great choice for Wisconsin with plenty of options in Minneapolis and Chicago as well.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:03 pm

Last edited by dood on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jcwilsn1

Bronze

Post by jcwilsn1 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:08 pm

dood wrote:I was reading at the University of Wisconsin Union a couple hours ago, here's some pics from my phone - if you're curious what part of this campus looks like. The first pic is kind of dim due to phone camera quality...it's actually sunny out. People go to the Union to read, hang out, drink, live bands, movies, etc.

--ImageRemoved--
Hello Wisconsin

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:58 pm

Gunnnneeeeeerrrr aleeerrrt.

I can say with absolute certainty, by the way, that 100% of the time that you are spending on the Torts E&E is worthless for three of the four torts professors. This is not the typical "prep doesn't help" statement- though that statement is true- this is a very direct "the Torts profs do not teach what is in the E&E" statement of fact.

This is proof of why prep is stupid.

GTM is credited though.

Edit: If you are reading the Crim E&E, that would be an even bigger waste of time, for 100% of the profs. Possibly one exception, but not really. The Contracts one may be a bit helpful depending on what prof you get, but still, not really. Civ Pro- if you insist on reading it, read the stuff at the end, because Civ Pro I doesn't do any of the Erie/Jurisdiction/Venue stuff.

This has been your daily "saving the 0L gunner from themself" announcement. Proving that 0L prep is retarded, one future Wisconsin 1L at a time.

jcwilsn1

Bronze

Post by jcwilsn1 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:15 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Gunnnneeeeeerrrr aleeerrrt.

I can say with absolute certainty, by the way, that 100% of the time that you are spending on the Torts E&E is worthless for three of the four torts professors. This is not the typical "prep doesn't help" statement- though that statement is true- this is a very direct "the Torts profs do not teach what is in the E&E" statement of fact.

GTM is credited though.

Edit: If you are reading the Crim E&E, that would be an even bigger waste of time, for 100% of the profs. Possibly one exception, but not really. The Contracts one may be a bit helpful depending on what prof you get, but still, not really. Civ Pro- if you insist on reading it, read the stuff at the end, because Civ Pro I doesn't do any of the Erie/Jurisdiction/Venue stuff.

This has been your daily "saving the 0L gunner from themself" announcement. Proving that 0L prep is retarded, one future Wisconsin 1L at a time.
You think reading "Getting to Maybe" is retarded for 0L?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:20 am

jcwilsn1 wrote:

GTM is credited though.

:?:

I said GTM is credited. I suppose that I didn't make it clear enough that I think GTM is an exception to the "prep is retarded" rule. I think the same about LEEWS, by the way. The prep that I think is ridiculous is people reading hornbooks/E&Es.

Especially on the terrace! For god's sake, you're on the terrace! You should be drinking, not reading E&Es.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jcwilsn1

Bronze

Post by jcwilsn1 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:27 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
jcwilsn1 wrote:

GTM is credited though.

I said GTM is credited. I suppose that I didn't make it clear enough that I think GTM is an exception to the "prep is retarded" rule. I think the same about LEEWS, by the way. The prep that I think is ridiculous is people reading hornbooks/E&Es.

Especially on the terrace! For god's sake, you're on the terrace! You should be drinking, not reading E&Es.
oh sorry, i'm not hip or smart enough to read that lingo, I just saw a number of acronyms.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:00 pm

Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:02 pm

dood wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote: Especially on the terrace! For god's sake, you're on the terrace! You should be drinking, not reading E&Es.
I have absolutely nothing to do before law school...I mean NOTHING at all. I've been reading the Wall Street Journal, some novels, playing golf, working out, drinking, etc. And I still have an extra 3-4 hours a day. I can't stay drunk all day and go out at night.
The Rath has some greaaaaaat beer. I mean, their selection is excellent.

Contrarian

New

Post by Contrarian » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:15 pm

dood wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
jcwilsn1 wrote:

GTM is credited though.

I have absolutely nothing to do before law school...I mean NOTHING at all. I've been reading the Wall Street Journal, some novels, playing golf, working out, drinking, etc. And I still have an extra 3-4 hours a day. I can't stay drunk all day and go out at night.
That girl in the turquoise typing away on her cell phone drinking the beer. You should be using those law books as props to make a move on her. If you already have a GF, you should be spending time with her, because you won't be in 6 weeks.

That is what you should be doing. You'll thank me when your 72.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”