How much does the University of Wisconsin suck? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Jay Phatsby

New

How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Post by Jay Phatsby » Wed May 20, 2009 12:17 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Take this into account:

-Minnesota resident (discount tuition)
-Want to work big-law in Minneapolis, Milwaukee, or mid size law in Chicago, Los Angeles (I know it is a stretch)
-Comfortable with mid-west
-Do not mind snow
-Hoping to get some scholly money also (15-30K would be nice)
-Interested in Business Law/Tax Law, Real Estate, White Collar defense, Litigation

What do you think?

radiotank

New

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Post by radiotank » Wed May 20, 2009 12:19 pm

It's a good school, plus you have the added bonus of not having to take the bar exam if you stay in Wisconsin. It depends on what other schools you got into, but it's a fine school, especially for Milwaukee.

carlweathersstew

New

Post by carlweathersstew » Wed May 20, 2009 4:25 pm

It's really hard to say without knowing much about your other options. Job-wise you should definitely have career options in Milwaukee and some chances at MN and Chicago if you place high in your class. In-state or reciprocity tuition at Wisconsin is extremely cheap and coupled with your expected scholarship you would essentially be going for free. You also don't have to take the bar if you practice in Wisconsin. I think Wisconsin Law is a decent option.

As far as the city and university go, I lived in Madison for awhile and I can say it is a gorgeous and fun city with many things to do, especially if you don't mind snow. The University of Wisconsin is quite large and has an academic reputation as a research-oriented University (second in the nation for research funding behind Johns Hopkins), but the students definitely like to have fun and there is a huge bar and party scene if you are interested in that kind of stuff.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:32 pm

A lot. :mrgreen:

Jay Phatsby

New

Post by Jay Phatsby » Thu May 21, 2009 12:00 am

carlweathersstew wrote:It's really hard to say without knowing much about your other options. Job-wise you should definitely have career options in Milwaukee and some chances at MN and Chicago if you place high in your class. In-state or reciprocity tuition at Wisconsin is extremely cheap and coupled with your expected scholarship you would essentially be going for free. You also don't have to take the bar if you practice in Wisconsin. I think Wisconsin Law is a decent option.

As far as the city and university go, I lived in Madison for awhile and I can say it is a gorgeous and fun city with many things to do, especially if you don't mind snow. The University of Wisconsin is quite large and has an academic reputation as a research-oriented University (second in the nation for research funding behind Johns Hopkins), but the students definitely like to have fun and there is a huge bar and party scene if you are interested in that kind of stuff.
What is the cost of living in "Mad-Town" like?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jay Phatsby

New

Post by Jay Phatsby » Thu May 21, 2009 12:07 am

Also does anyone know how well this school does in placing students in the big law firm Foley and Lardner?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foley_%26_Lardner

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Thu May 21, 2009 12:13 am

LMGTFY

--LinkRemoved--

dickfitzwell

New

Post by dickfitzwell » Thu May 21, 2009 12:28 am

Last edited by dickfitzwell on Fri May 22, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

carlweathersstew

New

Post by carlweathersstew » Thu May 21, 2009 12:32 am

Jay Phatsby wrote:
carlweathersstew wrote:It's really hard to say without knowing much about your other options. Job-wise you should definitely have career options in Milwaukee and some chances at MN and Chicago if you place high in your class. In-state or reciprocity tuition at Wisconsin is extremely cheap and coupled with your expected scholarship you would essentially be going for free. You also don't have to take the bar if you practice in Wisconsin. I think Wisconsin Law is a decent option.

What is the cost of living in "Mad-Town" like?

I paid between $300-$450 per month depending on how many housemates I had. Probably a bit more than that if you live by yourself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

carlweathersstew

New

Post by carlweathersstew » Thu May 21, 2009 12:37 am

steindle wrote:LMGTFY

--LinkRemoved--

Quality googling skillz.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:38 am

dickfitzwell wrote:If you attend coolkatz321 will make love to you and UW simultaneously, so you have the added benefit of a 3 way.

UW does not suck btw.....
:roll:

You really put the "dick" in your name. Maybe there's a reason they haven't accepted you.

bedbathandbeheadings

New

Post by bedbathandbeheadings » Thu May 21, 2009 12:44 am

Madison is an overrated shithole. You will be bored to death if you go to Wisconsin (not to mention frozen in the winter and bug-bitten when the lake thaws out). But, if you enjoy being harassed by homeless asking for change, then you would feel right at home walking down State Street in Madison.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:51 am

bedbathandbeheadings wrote:Madison is an overrated shithole. You will be bored to death if you go to Wisconsin (not to mention frozen in the winter and bug-bitten when the lake thaws out). But, if you enjoy being harassed by homeless asking for change, then you would feel right at home walking down State Street in Madison.
Yes, we know they rejected you, but enough is enough. Stop your incessant bitching.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bedbathandbeheadings

New

Post by bedbathandbeheadings » Thu May 21, 2009 12:56 am

coolkatz321 wrote:
bedbathandbeheadings wrote:Madison is an overrated shithole. You will be bored to death if you go to Wisconsin (not to mention frozen in the winter and bug-bitten when the lake thaws out). But, if you enjoy being harassed by homeless asking for change, then you would feel right at home walking down State Street in Madison.
Yes, we know they rejected you, but enough is enough. Stop your incessant bitching.
I didn't even apply there and wouldn't ever apply there (unless they moved to SoCal, DC, or NYC). I call it like I see it--you can honestly say you would rather be in Madison than NYC? DC? LA? Yeah...right.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:58 am

bedbathandbeheadings wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
I didn't even apply there and wouldn't ever apply there (unless they moved to SoCal, DC, or NYC). I call it like I see it--you can honestly say you would rather be in Madison than NYC? DC? LA? Yeah...right.
I never said that, although yes, I'd rather be in Madison than LA. However, to say it's an overrated shithole is only valid if you A) Hate clean, beautiful cities, B) Hate culture, art and a terrific bar scene and C) Have no social life whatsoever.

bedbathandbeheadings

New

Post by bedbathandbeheadings » Thu May 21, 2009 1:02 am

[/quote]

I never said that, although yes, I'd rather be in Madison than LA. However, to say it's an overrated shithole is only valid if you A) Hate clean, beautiful cities, B) Hate culture, art and a terrific bar scene and C) Have no social life whatsoever.[/quote]

Clean? Beautiful? Madison?? I will leave it up to the OP to decide what he thinks of the city. However, in my experience (I visited one time to see a friend who goes there), the city was run down and dumpy. Again, don't take my word on it--OP can go and visit himself. OP, walk down sTTTate street in Madison and see how many times you get asked for change from some bum if you think i'm lying.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:08 am

I never said that, although yes, I'd rather be in Madison than LA. However, to say it's an overrated shithole is only valid if you A) Hate clean, beautiful cities, B) Hate culture, art and a terrific bar scene and C) Have no social life whatsoever.[/quote]

Clean? Beautiful? Madison?? I will leave it up to the OP to decide what he thinks of the city. However, in my experience (I visited one time to see a friend who goes there), the city was run down and dumpy. Again, don't take my word on it--OP can go and visit himself. OP, walk down sTTTate street in Madison and see how many times you get asked for change from some bum if you think i'm lying.[/quote]

You're basing the quality of an entire city based on a single visit that you had there? You're an idiot.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jay Phatsby

New

Post by Jay Phatsby » Thu May 21, 2009 1:11 am

Where the fuck are you from bedbathandbeheadings? What's your beef with Madison truly about?

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:13 am

Jay Phatsby wrote:Where the fuck are you from bedbathandbeheadings? What's your beef with Madison truly about?
He's been on here with multiple names because he keeps getting banned. They sent him something in the mail or an email encouraging him to apply, he got dinged, and now he's all bitter about it. Probably deserved it, judging by his attitude.

Jay Phatsby

New

Post by Jay Phatsby » Thu May 21, 2009 1:14 am

coolkatz321 wrote:
Jay Phatsby wrote:Where the fuck are you from bedbathandbeheadings? What's your beef with Madison truly about?
He's been on here with multiple names because he keeps getting banned. They sent him something in the mail or an email encouraging him to apply, he got dinged, and now he's all bitter about it. Probably deserved it, judging by his attitude.
Good Riddance

bedbathandbeheadings

New

Post by bedbathandbeheadings » Thu May 21, 2009 1:16 am

Originally from NYC, but have lived in DC, LA, and Georgia. I've been pretty much everywhere in the country, though, in my travels. I don't have a particular beef with Madison, I just call it like I see it (you asked about how much Wisc sucks-I told you).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jay Phatsby

New

Post by Jay Phatsby » Thu May 21, 2009 1:16 am

Originally from NYC, but have lived in DC, LA, and Georgia. I've been pretty much everywhere in the country, though, in my travels. I don't have a particular beef with Madison, I just call it like I see it (you asked about how much Wisc sucks-I told you).

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:19 am

You visited once and you're the authority? What a moron.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu May 21, 2009 1:25 am

Actually, bedbath didn't say anything offensive IMO, just saying a certain city sucks. Lots of cities suck: L.A., Miami, New Orleans, Cleveland, Memphis, etc. but I'm sure there are people who would disagree with me on that. I was just talking with a dude the other day that is from Detroit and actually likes the area.

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Thu May 21, 2009 1:27 am

bedbathandbeheadings wrote:Clean? Beautiful? Madison?? I will leave it up to the OP to decide what he thinks of the city. However, in my experience (I visited one time to see a friend who goes there), the city was run down and dumpy. Again, don't take my word on it--OP can go and visit himself. OP, walk down sTTTate street in Madison and see how many times you get asked for change from some bum if you think i'm lying.
I don't have a dog in this fight, but the concept that the cities of LA or DC are more "clean" or "beautiful" than Madison is genuinely laughable. I say this as a person with a great love for DC and at least a morbid fascination/respect for LA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”