How much does the University of Wisconsin suck? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
anthonyc350

Bronze

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Post by anthonyc350 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:22 pm

None of that is true :roll: . I don't hate the school, its just not all everyone that goes there cracks it up to be, its just another huge big 10 state school. All the "public ivy" stuff is nonsense.

bedbathandbeheadings

New

Post by bedbathandbeheadings » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:44 pm

anthonyc350 wrote:None of that is true :roll: . I don't hate the school, its just not all everyone that goes there cracks it up to be, its just another huge big 10 state school. All the "public ivy" stuff is nonsense.
agreed--it's just an average school, nothing special

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:53 pm

bedbathandbeheadings wrote:
anthonyc350 wrote:None of that is true :roll: . I don't hate the school, its just not all everyone that goes there cracks it up to be, its just another huge big 10 state school. All the "public ivy" stuff is nonsense.
anthonyc, no one is calling you a troll.

To the other jackass that posted in this 'quote box'--you are a troll. The vast majority of your posts are bashing Wisconsin. I'm glad they rejected you; they made the right choice.

bedbathandbeheadings

New

Post by bedbathandbeheadings » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:05 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:

To the other jackass that posted in this 'quote box'--you are a troll. The vast majority of your posts are bashing Wisconsin. I'm glad they rejected you; they made the right choice.
You've shown me through your posts that you simply cannot take criticism. Are you really that hard of thinking to not be able to see the accuracy in my posts?

billykraus

New

Post by billykraus » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:18 pm

bedbathandbeheadings wrote:You've shown me through your posts that you simply cannot take criticism. Are you really that hard of thinking to not be able to see the accuracy in my posts?
Ya know, CK, I've always thought that about you: you're really "hard of thinking". Also

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:20 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:

You've shown me through your posts that you simply cannot take criticism. Are you really that hard of thinking to not be able to see the accuracy in my posts?
Let's look at your posts: You had one asking about Cardozo or Wisconsin. Then, you proceeded to bash Wisconsin nonstop. So, what happened?

Answer: They rejected you. Get over it.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:15 pm

Last edited by dood on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

markymark

Bronze

Post by markymark » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:30 pm

dood wrote:
It's not nonsense - unless you went to a TTT, non-research oriented, state school with the sole purpose of dominating in NCAA football while providing barely a high school education for it's students - i.e. Ohio State, WVU, etc. There is a substantial difference between these schools and Wisconsin, Michigan, UCLA, etc. While Wisconsin is not as "prestigious" as an Ivy League school, the "Public Ivy" designation serves to distinguish the University of Wisconsin as a world-class research institution, where significant advancements in life sciences, engineering, and physics have been made. Home to 17 Nobel laureates, this is testimony to how much cutting edge research is done at the University of Wisconsin - the same can not be said for Ohio State (2 Nobel Laureates), WVU (0), etc. Why does this matter? One of my professors was a Nobel Laureate and there is a difference in learning the same textbook examples regurgitated by thousands of UGs across the country, and seeing the newest examples being created in your professors lab. Note the number of Nobel Laureates simply serves as an example of the playing field; there are hundreds of equally talented professors at the University of Wisconsin who have not won a Nobel Prize.

I'm sure many people have their reasons for disliking the University of Wisconsin. I am not claiming this is the best school in the land, nor that all of the students are the brightest. But I do know that the University of Wisconsin succeeds in providing a real world-class university experience (as opposed to other "universities" that are little more than community colleges with D1 football teams), and all at an affordable in-state tuition. This is what makes the University of Wisconsin is a "public ivy". In fact, the actual definition of a "public ivy" is: "a publicly-funded university successfully competing with the Ivy League schools in academic rigor...."
Wisconsin is not on par with Michigan, UVA, UCLA, and Berkeley. It is more along the lines of Illinois and Indiana.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:54 pm

Last edited by dood on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

billykraus

New

Post by billykraus » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:02 pm

anthonyc350

Bronze

Post by anthonyc350 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:32 pm

Actually, Wisconsin is on par with Ohio State in terms of academics. I went to Wisconsin and I am saying this. The constant need for UW students to defend the absurd "public ivy" label just proves the point that its nowhere near an elite university. Certain departments are elite, but many are just awful. The political science department at UW is downright awful, which is inexcusable because its in a politically charged place and capital city. The history program on the other hand is great. Just like Ohio State, Illinois, other huge mediocore state schools, it has great parts and God-awful parts.

The school was much better when I applied and accepted to go there (I turned down both northwestern and michigan), but since then there has been a mass exodus of top professors since UW professors on average receive the lowest salaries in the Big 10, and the state has consistently chopped the budget for the school year after year.

nn223

New

Post by nn223 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:56 pm

anthonyc350 wrote:Actually, Wisconsin is on par with Ohio State in terms of academics. I went to Wisconsin and I am saying this. The constant need for UW students to defend the absurd "public ivy" label just proves the point that its nowhere near an elite university. Certain departments are elite, but many are just awful. The political science department at UW is downright awful, which is inexcusable because its in a politically charged place and capital city. The history program on the other hand is great. Just like Ohio State, Illinois, other huge mediocore state schools, it has great parts and God-awful parts.

The school was much better when I applied and accepted to go there (I turned down both northwestern and michigan), but since then there has been a mass exodus of top professors since UW professors on average receive the lowest salaries in the Big 10, and the state has consistently chopped the budget for the school year after year.
agreed

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:03 pm

nn223 wrote:
anthonyc350 wrote:Actually, Wisconsin is on par with Ohio State in terms of academics. I went to Wisconsin and I am saying this. The constant need for UW students to defend the absurd "public ivy" label just proves the point that its nowhere near an elite university. Certain departments are elite, but many are just awful. The political science department at UW is downright awful, which is inexcusable because its in a politically charged place and capital city. The history program on the other hand is great. Just like Ohio State, Illinois, other huge mediocore state schools, it has great parts and God-awful parts.

agreed
Considering that this year rankings places Wisconsin's graduate school of political science at #15, I'm going to have to doubt what you said. nn223, you're a troll, so there's no point even acknowledging your comment.

I will say this though--UIUC has Paul Diehl, which is pretty sweet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Contrarian

New

Post by Contrarian » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:56 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBTGsmKvOe4

Madison... Milwaukee.... same thing.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:27 pm

Contrarian wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBTGsmKvOe4

Well, the school is still better than Chicago-Kent. Yep, much, much better. :mrgreen:

billykraus

New

Post by billykraus » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:31 pm

There is nothing wrong with beer, brats, & cheese. Especially since according to this: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050105 ... est-cities, we still look good doing it. :D

nn223

New

Post by nn223 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:40 pm

billykraus wrote:

There is nothing wrong with beer, brats, & cheese. Especially since according to this: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050105 ... est-cities, we still look good doing it. :D

The midwest is infested with obese rednecks--stick to the coasts (more specifically, the east coast, and more specifically, New England and New York) if you want to hang with good looking people.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:00 pm

nn223 wrote:
billykraus wrote:

The midwest is infested with obese rednecks--stick to the coasts (more specifically, the east coast, and more specifically, New England and New York) if you want to hang with good looking people.
doesn't look like the east coast is that thin either..I guess stick to the Southwest? (Arizona, NV, etc.)

But wtf, the South is almost entirely obese...hahahaha Stereotypes ftw!

billykraus

New

Post by billykraus » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:01 pm

nn223 wrote:
billykraus wrote:

So what you're basically saying is that New York and New England, period, have lower obesity rates than Wisconsin. What does this prove to you? Does this mean that you get the last laugh after Wisconsin rejected you from their law school? So you can feel good about yourself that there will (maybe) be less fat people at Miami Law than at Wisconsin?

But seriously, have fun at Miami.

BobDole34

New

Post by BobDole34 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:27 pm

With all due respect, you are the extreme minority of UW-Madison graduates. I am curious to hear your reasons, though. Having friends come into the school with ivy league stats and others leave with exceptional records and distinguished post-graduate plans, I can provide nothing but glowing success stories.

Not the school for everyone, of course.

BobDole34

New

Post by BobDole34 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:35 pm

Oh boy a few Wisconsin State Journal articles and you'd think the school is falling apart.

Since you applied, Wisconsin's average ACT score has risen. The admissions rate has gone down to ~50%. Private fundraising has risen so much so that it placed UW in top few as of a few years ago. The rankings (oh, by rankings, we of course mean US News and World Report -- totally objective analysis, right?) of programs like the med, law, business, and undergraduate programs are remarkably stable. Professor salaries at UW-Madison are low, no doubt, but they've ALWAYS been that way, yet it still retains elite faculty. Note the high academic peer ratings in the law and undergraduate programs that always exceed its placement in the US News (Wisco Law is like #25 on peer score).

You didn't like the poli sci department? Neither did I. So I switched my major and did the honors program.

Sounds to me like you're either a strange academic elitist or someone who did not fit in at Wisconsin and should have never attended in the first place. I am one of those kids, like you, who got into better schools. A sizable number of my friends were the same way. Yet, unlike you, we found ways to challenge ourselves, get involved with amazing in and out of classroom experiences, and every single one of us was sad to leave.

It's by far one of the most well rounded schools in the world. In American education, I think it gets a fair just outside the elite private/public ranking -- somewhere below the Berkeley/Northwestern's of the world, but above the Illinois and NYU's of the world.

- A disappointed UW grad with his fellow alumnus

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BobDole34

New

Post by BobDole34 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:45 pm

I'm especially sensitive to the Wisconsin/Michigan undergrad debate so I want to add my two cents: Michigan has a stronger undergraduate body at the top 10 and bottom 10% of their classes. It also has higher tuition. The differences start to end there. Extremely similar type of school in a neat college town with specific areas of strength. Michigan is better for business at the undergraduate level. Wisconsin is better for the hard sciences. Wisconsin would be better for a journalism student. Michigan would be better for an engineer. They'd be the same to study history.

At either, you're not going to an elite private institution. You will have large classes. You will have students from all over the world, but still mostly from the state. You'll have extremely bright students, especially in the top of the class. Both schools could fill an entire class at an elite private school with their top students. But both are still public schools. They have diversity commitments and in-state commitments that force them to admit higher numbers of students and have poor bottoms of the class. Honors programs, special seminars, research gigs, and other academic programs help the more engaged students on both campuses.

Wisconsin and Michigan are incredibly similar -- peer schools in every sense of the word. They share hundreds of cross admits each year, if not thousands. So in this thread when you all compare school "x" and "y" at the undergraduate level (a lot easier to do in law) you have to look at tiers of school and not pretend they are playing basketball where one "wins" by some objective numerical measure.

On a personal level, for an out of state student, unless you know you want to go into specific Wall Street jobs (great in the post-08 word, right?) or engineering, I couldn't justify Michigan's extra 40Kish in tuition and I'd pick Wisconsin. I haven't even begun to get into the social aspects of the schools, which Wisconsin wins by a large margin. At the undergraduate level, I would argue minute differences in education are outweighed by the out of classroom activities. It should be a great 4 years, after all.

My personal opinion?

Berkeley/UVA are the best two public schools in the country across the board. They can easily compete with non-ivy, but elite private institutions.

UCLA/Michigan/UNC/WM/Wisconsin/Illinois/Texas in some areas can, but to make sweeping generalizations about any is just ridiculous. I'd never study engineering at WM or UCLA over Illinois. I'd never study business at WM over Michigan or Texas. I'd love to be a pre-med at Wisconsin and I'd go to whichever is cheapest for pre-law.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:54 pm

My personal opinion?

Berkeley/UVA are the best two public schools in the country across the board. They can easily compete with non-ivy, but elite private institutions.

UCLA/Michigan/UNC/WM/Wisconsin/Illinois/Texas in some areas can, but to make sweeping generalizations about any is just ridiculous. I'd never study engineering at WM or UCLA over Illinois. I'd never study business at WM over Michigan or Texas. I'd love to be a pre-med at Wisconsin and I'd go to whichever is cheapest for pre-law.

Your personal opinion is pretty retarded.

Michigan is a better institution overall than UVA, even on ugrad level in my opinion. UVA has a top law program and not much else. (Maybe top English department? What else is it known for again?). Anyway, back to W v. M, Wisconsin has some top science programs, but if you look at USNews rankings, Michigan outranks Wisconsin in pretty much every single field (humanities and sciences). Not to mention, additionally, Michigan's medical school is ranked 11, its undergrad business is ranked 3, its grad business program is 11/12, its engineering department is top 10, its political science department is number 1, you can check whatever other rankings you want online.

I know you were ranking undergrad only (which I disagree with, but whatever), but when ranking public schools when assessing all fields, all graduate departments, and undergrad:
1) Berkeley
2) Michigan
3) UCLA
4) No fucking clue.

(I have a BS from Cornell, MS at Berkeley and am working on my JD at Michigan. Trust me, I've done the research. Michigan >>Wisconsin. )

I am not originally from the Midwest. Nobody knows wtf Wisconsin is. People actually know about Michigan on the coasts (New York, California).
Last edited by cornellbeez on Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:59 pm

Hey I resent that thread title...I went there for undergrad. Had an amazing time! Looks like they have a pretty good law school too.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:02 pm

billykraus wrote: So what you're basically saying is that New York and New England, period, have lower obesity rates than Wisconsin. What does this prove to you? Does this mean that you get the last laugh after Wisconsin rejected you from their law school? So you can feel good about yourself that there will (maybe) be less fat people at Miami Law than at Wisconsin?

But seriously, have fun at Miami.
I'm not sure why he keeps saying this stuff either. People on both coasts are apparently pretty damn obese too. The only remotely "slim" region is the Southwest.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”