How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Jay Phatsby
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:29 pm

How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby Jay Phatsby » Wed May 20, 2009 12:17 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Take this into account:

-Minnesota resident (discount tuition)
-Want to work big-law in Minneapolis, Milwaukee, or mid size law in Chicago, Los Angeles (I know it is a stretch)
-Comfortable with mid-west
-Do not mind snow
-Hoping to get some scholly money also (15-30K would be nice)
-Interested in Business Law/Tax Law, Real Estate, White Collar defense, Litigation

What do you think?

radiotank
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:08 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby radiotank » Wed May 20, 2009 12:19 pm

It's a good school, plus you have the added bonus of not having to take the bar exam if you stay in Wisconsin. It depends on what other schools you got into, but it's a fine school, especially for Milwaukee.

carlweathersstew
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby carlweathersstew » Wed May 20, 2009 4:25 pm

It's really hard to say without knowing much about your other options. Job-wise you should definitely have career options in Milwaukee and some chances at MN and Chicago if you place high in your class. In-state or reciprocity tuition at Wisconsin is extremely cheap and coupled with your expected scholarship you would essentially be going for free. You also don't have to take the bar if you practice in Wisconsin. I think Wisconsin Law is a decent option.

As far as the city and university go, I lived in Madison for awhile and I can say it is a gorgeous and fun city with many things to do, especially if you don't mind snow. The University of Wisconsin is quite large and has an academic reputation as a research-oriented University (second in the nation for research funding behind Johns Hopkins), but the students definitely like to have fun and there is a huge bar and party scene if you are interested in that kind of stuff.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby 02082010 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:32 pm

A lot. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Jay Phatsby
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby Jay Phatsby » Thu May 21, 2009 12:00 am

carlweathersstew wrote:It's really hard to say without knowing much about your other options. Job-wise you should definitely have career options in Milwaukee and some chances at MN and Chicago if you place high in your class. In-state or reciprocity tuition at Wisconsin is extremely cheap and coupled with your expected scholarship you would essentially be going for free. You also don't have to take the bar if you practice in Wisconsin. I think Wisconsin Law is a decent option.

As far as the city and university go, I lived in Madison for awhile and I can say it is a gorgeous and fun city with many things to do, especially if you don't mind snow. The University of Wisconsin is quite large and has an academic reputation as a research-oriented University (second in the nation for research funding behind Johns Hopkins), but the students definitely like to have fun and there is a huge bar and party scene if you are interested in that kind of stuff.


What is the cost of living in "Mad-Town" like?

User avatar
Jay Phatsby
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby Jay Phatsby » Thu May 21, 2009 12:07 am

Also does anyone know how well this school does in placing students in the big law firm Foley and Lardner?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foley_%26_Lardner

steindle
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby steindle » Thu May 21, 2009 12:13 am

LMGTFY

--LinkRemoved--

dickfitzwell
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:40 am

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby dickfitzwell » Thu May 21, 2009 12:28 am

.
Last edited by dickfitzwell on Fri May 22, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

carlweathersstew
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby carlweathersstew » Thu May 21, 2009 12:32 am

Jay Phatsby wrote:
carlweathersstew wrote:It's really hard to say without knowing much about your other options. Job-wise you should definitely have career options in Milwaukee and some chances at MN and Chicago if you place high in your class. In-state or reciprocity tuition at Wisconsin is extremely cheap and coupled with your expected scholarship you would essentially be going for free. You also don't have to take the bar if you practice in Wisconsin. I think Wisconsin Law is a decent option.

As far as the city and university go, I lived in Madison for awhile and I can say it is a gorgeous and fun city with many things to do, especially if you don't mind snow. The University of Wisconsin is quite large and has an academic reputation as a research-oriented University (second in the nation for research funding behind Johns Hopkins), but the students definitely like to have fun and there is a huge bar and party scene if you are interested in that kind of stuff.


What is the cost of living in "Mad-Town" like?



I paid between $300-$450 per month depending on how many housemates I had. Probably a bit more than that if you live by yourself.

carlweathersstew
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby carlweathersstew » Thu May 21, 2009 12:37 am

steindle wrote:LMGTFY

--LinkRemoved--



Quality googling skillz.

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:38 am

dickfitzwell wrote:If you attend coolkatz321 will make love to you and UW simultaneously, so you have the added benefit of a 3 way.

UW does not suck btw.....


:roll:

You really put the "dick" in your name. Maybe there's a reason they haven't accepted you.

User avatar
bedbathandbeheadings
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:01 am

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby bedbathandbeheadings » Thu May 21, 2009 12:44 am

Madison is an overrated shithole. You will be bored to death if you go to Wisconsin (not to mention frozen in the winter and bug-bitten when the lake thaws out). But, if you enjoy being harassed by homeless asking for change, then you would feel right at home walking down State Street in Madison.

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:51 am

bedbathandbeheadings wrote:Madison is an overrated shithole. You will be bored to death if you go to Wisconsin (not to mention frozen in the winter and bug-bitten when the lake thaws out). But, if you enjoy being harassed by homeless asking for change, then you would feel right at home walking down State Street in Madison.


Yes, we know they rejected you, but enough is enough. Stop your incessant bitching.

User avatar
bedbathandbeheadings
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:01 am

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby bedbathandbeheadings » Thu May 21, 2009 12:56 am

coolkatz321 wrote:
bedbathandbeheadings wrote:Madison is an overrated shithole. You will be bored to death if you go to Wisconsin (not to mention frozen in the winter and bug-bitten when the lake thaws out). But, if you enjoy being harassed by homeless asking for change, then you would feel right at home walking down State Street in Madison.


Yes, we know they rejected you, but enough is enough. Stop your incessant bitching.


I didn't even apply there and wouldn't ever apply there (unless they moved to SoCal, DC, or NYC). I call it like I see it--you can honestly say you would rather be in Madison than NYC? DC? LA? Yeah...right.

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:58 am

bedbathandbeheadings wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
bedbathandbeheadings wrote:Madison is an overrated shithole. You will be bored to death if you go to Wisconsin (not to mention frozen in the winter and bug-bitten when the lake thaws out). But, if you enjoy being harassed by homeless asking for change, then you would feel right at home walking down State Street in Madison.


Yes, we know they rejected you, but enough is enough. Stop your incessant bitching.


I didn't even apply there and wouldn't ever apply there (unless they moved to SoCal, DC, or NYC). I call it like I see it--you can honestly say you would rather be in Madison than NYC? DC? LA? Yeah...right.


I never said that, although yes, I'd rather be in Madison than LA. However, to say it's an overrated shithole is only valid if you A) Hate clean, beautiful cities, B) Hate culture, art and a terrific bar scene and C) Have no social life whatsoever.

User avatar
bedbathandbeheadings
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:01 am

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby bedbathandbeheadings » Thu May 21, 2009 1:02 am

[/quote]

I never said that, although yes, I'd rather be in Madison than LA. However, to say it's an overrated shithole is only valid if you A) Hate clean, beautiful cities, B) Hate culture, art and a terrific bar scene and C) Have no social life whatsoever.[/quote]

Clean? Beautiful? Madison?? I will leave it up to the OP to decide what he thinks of the city. However, in my experience (I visited one time to see a friend who goes there), the city was run down and dumpy. Again, don't take my word on it--OP can go and visit himself. OP, walk down sTTTate street in Madison and see how many times you get asked for change from some bum if you think i'm lying.

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:08 am

bedbathandbeheadings wrote:


I never said that, although yes, I'd rather be in Madison than LA. However, to say it's an overrated shithole is only valid if you A) Hate clean, beautiful cities, B) Hate culture, art and a terrific bar scene and C) Have no social life whatsoever.[/quote]

Clean? Beautiful? Madison?? I will leave it up to the OP to decide what he thinks of the city. However, in my experience (I visited one time to see a friend who goes there), the city was run down and dumpy. Again, don't take my word on it--OP can go and visit himself. OP, walk down sTTTate street in Madison and see how many times you get asked for change from some bum if you think i'm lying.[/quote]

You're basing the quality of an entire city based on a single visit that you had there? You're an idiot.

User avatar
Jay Phatsby
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby Jay Phatsby » Thu May 21, 2009 1:11 am

Where the fuck are you from bedbathandbeheadings? What's your beef with Madison truly about?

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:13 am

Jay Phatsby wrote:Where the fuck are you from bedbathandbeheadings? What's your beef with Madison truly about?


He's been on here with multiple names because he keeps getting banned. They sent him something in the mail or an email encouraging him to apply, he got dinged, and now he's all bitter about it. Probably deserved it, judging by his attitude.

User avatar
Jay Phatsby
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby Jay Phatsby » Thu May 21, 2009 1:14 am

coolkatz321 wrote:
Jay Phatsby wrote:Where the fuck are you from bedbathandbeheadings? What's your beef with Madison truly about?


He's been on here with multiple names because he keeps getting banned. They sent him something in the mail or an email encouraging him to apply, he got dinged, and now he's all bitter about it. Probably deserved it, judging by his attitude.


Good Riddance

User avatar
bedbathandbeheadings
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:01 am

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby bedbathandbeheadings » Thu May 21, 2009 1:16 am

Jay Phatsby wrote:Where the fuck are you from bedbathandbeheadings? What's your beef with Madison truly about?


Originally from NYC, but have lived in DC, LA, and Georgia. I've been pretty much everywhere in the country, though, in my travels. I don't have a particular beef with Madison, I just call it like I see it (you asked about how much Wisc sucks-I told you).

User avatar
Jay Phatsby
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby Jay Phatsby » Thu May 21, 2009 1:16 am

bedbathandbeheadings wrote:
Jay Phatsby wrote:Where the fuck are you from bedbathandbeheadings? What's your beef with Madison truly about?


Originally from NYC, but have lived in DC, LA, and Georgia. I've been pretty much everywhere in the country, though, in my travels. I don't have a particular beef with Madison, I just call it like I see it (you asked about how much Wisc sucks-I told you).


Image

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby coolkatz321 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:19 am

bedbathandbeheadings wrote:
Jay Phatsby wrote:Where the fuck are you from bedbathandbeheadings? What's your beef with Madison truly about?


Originally from NYC, but have lived in DC, LA, and Georgia. I've been pretty much everywhere in the country, though, in my travels. I don't have a particular beef with Madison, I just call it like I see it (you asked about how much Wisc sucks-I told you).


You visited once and you're the authority? What a moron.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby A'nold » Thu May 21, 2009 1:25 am

Actually, bedbath didn't say anything offensive IMO, just saying a certain city sucks. Lots of cities suck: L.A., Miami, New Orleans, Cleveland, Memphis, etc. but I'm sure there are people who would disagree with me on that. I was just talking with a dude the other day that is from Detroit and actually likes the area.

steindle
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: How much does the University of Wisconsin suck?

Postby steindle » Thu May 21, 2009 1:27 am

bedbathandbeheadings wrote:Clean? Beautiful? Madison?? I will leave it up to the OP to decide what he thinks of the city. However, in my experience (I visited one time to see a friend who goes there), the city was run down and dumpy. Again, don't take my word on it--OP can go and visit himself. OP, walk down sTTTate street in Madison and see how many times you get asked for change from some bum if you think i'm lying.


I don't have a dog in this fight, but the concept that the cities of LA or DC are more "clean" or "beautiful" than Madison is genuinely laughable. I say this as a person with a great love for DC and at least a morbid fascination/respect for LA.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mudiverse and 3 guests