what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
doyleoil

Silver

Re: what's the lowest ranked law school you would attend?

Post by doyleoil » Sat May 09, 2009 10:08 am

:lol: how the hell did this thread become aNOTHER stupid debate about who has it harder doing what

jesus, we all know engineers are self-flagellants who know more than the rest of us - that's why we have to console ourselves with our meaningless high gpa's and our "prestigious" law school acceptances

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat May 09, 2009 10:10 am

doyleoil wrote::lol: how the hell did this thread become aNOTHER stupid debate about who has it harder doing what

jesus, we all know engineers are self-flagellants who know more than the rest of us - that's why we have to console ourselves with our meaningless high gpa's and our "prestigious" law school acceptances
Not trying to turn this into a penis-size thread. Just pointing out that gatorlion is an epic turd.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Sat May 09, 2009 10:12 am

rayiner wrote:
doyleoil wrote::lol: how the hell did this thread become aNOTHER stupid debate about who has it harder doing what

Not trying to turn this into a penis-size thread. Just pointing out that gatorlion is an epic turd.
circle gets the square - we're on the same page here - i'm still in awe of you for helping me through the airplane on a treadmill hypo, ftr

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat May 09, 2009 10:14 am

doyleoil wrote:
rayiner wrote:

circle gets the square - we're on the same page here - i'm still in awe of you for helping me through the airplane on a treadmill hypo, ftr
<3

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Sat May 09, 2009 11:57 am

I would have gone to UCLA and paid full price. I would have surfed all the time and hung out with my LA friends. It would have been FUN! I got a full scholarship there, and I think perhaps I should have taken it. I believe that I could be successful from a lot of schools and perhaps happier at UCLA than anywhere. I also got a full scholarship to Columbia, and that kind of ensured I would not go to UCLA. How do I justify taking the lower ranked scholarship, especially when I would have to maintain a 2.5 at UCLA while Columbia's scholarship has no minimum? The point is I don't have to justify it. It's my life and only I have to live with the consequences. I hope I learn that truly some day.

In the end I choose Yale. I'm glad I took Yale over Columbia. But part of me wishes I was heading to California.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat May 09, 2009 12:37 pm

Yeah, and on that note, it'd be nice to put this debate to a fucking rest. I have as much respect for engineers as the next person (what with being with one and all), but Christ - no one forced their hand into a demanding major and they sure should stem some of the contempt for lib arts majors before entering LS unless they're bent on despising the majority of their future peers, faculty and colleagues.

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Sat May 09, 2009 12:39 pm

dresden doll wrote:

Yeah, and on that note, it'd be nice to put this debate to a fucking rest. I have as much respect for engineers as the next person (what with being with one and all), but Christ - no one forced their hand into a demanding major and they sure should stem some of the contempt for lib arts majors before entering LS unless they're bent on despising the majority of their future peers, faculty and colleagues.
I don't think that's going to be a problem for most engineers. :)

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Sat May 09, 2009 12:43 pm

dresden doll wrote: Yeah, and on that note, it'd be nice to put this debate to a fucking rest. I have as much respect for engineers as the next person (what with being with one and all), but Christ - no one forced their hand into a demanding major and they sure should stem some of the contempt for lib arts majors before entering LS unless they're bent on despising the majority of their future peers, faculty and colleagues.
Not to be all childish and "But, but... he started it!", but I would like to point out that the squabbling in this thread began with a contemptuous and ignorant remark made by a non-engineer. Any response from the engineering side was pure defense.

Also would like to add that I, and probably most engineers, count many lib arts people among our close friends. I certainly do not consider the level of difficulty of a person's UG coursework to be the sole determinant of that person's intelligence, potential, work ethic, or anything else.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Sat May 09, 2009 12:50 pm

tinman wrote:I would have gone to UCLA and paid full price. I would have surfed all the time and hung out with my LA friends. It would have been FUN! I got a full scholarship there, and I think perhaps I should have taken it. I believe that I could be successful from a lot of schools and perhaps happier at UCLA than anywhere. I also got a full scholarship to Columbia, and that kind of ensured I would not go to UCLA. How do I justify taking the lower ranked scholarship, especially when I would have to maintain a 2.5 at UCLA while Columbia's scholarship has no minimum? The point is I don't have to justify it. It's my life and only I have to live with the consequences. I hope I learn that truly some day.

In the end I choose Yale. I'm glad I took Yale over Columbia. But part of me wishes I was heading to California.
at no time while i was reading this rambling, meandering post did anything resembling a "point" emerge - maybe that's why i can't go to yale

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat May 09, 2009 12:52 pm

dresden doll wrote:

"Academia in the legal field is not for people who realized at 22 that they need to start taking their education seriously."

I don't think it is fair for engineers to assume that lib arts majors with high GPAs coasted there. On the flip side, gatorlion's assumptions about the reasons behind Aeroplane's GPA were equally obnoxious and ignorant of the field.

EDIT: Also, I really appreciate your consistent use of common words in somewhat uncommon but correct usages...
Last edited by rayiner on Sat May 09, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bumblebeetoona

New

Post by bumblebeetoona » Sat May 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Lowest ranked school I would attend is Northern Illinois. Its bar passage rate is steadily improving, and is now third highest in the state (Northwestern was first in 2008, Kent was 2nd). It's definitely the best school in Illinois for non-trads who want to go into PI, since the tuition is only $13k and it has good PI job placement.

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Sat May 09, 2009 12:53 pm

doyleoil wrote:
tinman wrote:I would have gone to UCLA and paid full price. I would have surfed all the time and hung out with my LA friends. It would have been FUN! I got a full scholarship there, and I think perhaps I should have taken it. I believe that I could be successful from a lot of schools and perhaps happier at UCLA than anywhere. I also got a full scholarship to Columbia, and that kind of ensured I would not go to UCLA. How do I justify taking the lower ranked scholarship, especially when I would have to maintain a 2.5 at UCLA while Columbia's scholarship has no minimum? The point is I don't have to justify it. It's my life and only I have to live with the consequences. I hope I learn that truly some day.

at no time while i was reading this rambling, meandering post did anything resembling a "point" emerge - maybe that's why i can't go to yale
Point: UCLA would be the lowest ranked law school he would have attended.
Then he just described his decision making process.
Then he made a was/were confusion mistake and made sure we all know he is attending Yale.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Sat May 09, 2009 12:55 pm

Cleareyes wrote:
doyleoil wrote:

Point: UCLA would be the lowest ranked law school he would have attended.
Then he just described his decision making process.
Then he made a was/were confusion mistake and made sure we all know he is attending Yale.
oh it was like one of those logical reasoning stimuli where they put the conclusion in the first sentence and most of the rest of the stimulus is irrelevant - i get it - it would have been a lot easier if it had just wrapped up after the first six words

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat May 09, 2009 12:59 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
dresden doll wrote: Yeah, and on that note, it'd be nice to put this debate to a fucking rest. I have as much respect for engineers as the next person (what with being with one and all), but Christ - no one forced their hand into a demanding major and they sure should stem some of the contempt for lib arts majors before entering LS unless they're bent on despising the majority of their future peers, faculty and colleagues.
Not to be all childish and "But, but... he started it!", but I would like to point out that the squabbling in this thread began with a contemptuous and ignorant remark made by a non-engineer. Any response from the engineering side was pure defense.

Also would like to add that I, and probably most engineers, count many lib arts people among our close friends. I certainly do not consider the level of difficulty of a person's UG coursework to be the sole determinant of that person's intelligence, potential, work ethic, or anything else.
Yeah, I did see that someone else started it and I sure do think the instigator was out of line. Even if you'd pulled 3.1 in basket weaving, it wasn't his place to pontificate about your future success in law school. No one asked for his assessment.

Appreciate the second paragraph.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat May 09, 2009 1:01 pm

doyleoil wrote:

LOL. Doyle is as sharp as ever on this bright Saturday morning, I see.

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Sat May 09, 2009 1:06 pm

gatorlion wrote:Academia in the legal field is not for people who realized at 22 that they need to start taking their education seriously.
Before judging gatorlion based on writing that stupid sentence, I wanted to know if he/she was joking. That was all. I think it's pretty clear this has nothing to do with liberal arts being harder or easier than engineering, geography being kind of a joke major (one of my good friends has a geography degree and helps design maps, and he's a pretty smart guy), or anything other than gatorlion writing a really weird sentence that made him/her sound like a pretentious douchebag.
Aeroplane wrote:I certainly do not consider the level of difficulty of a person's UG coursework to be any determinant of that person's intelligence, potential, work ethic, or anything else.
Really, when you think about it... grades do reflect intelligence, potential, work ethic, to some extent, but the degree of difficulty doesn't tell you anything other than maybe a little bit about someone who deliberately wants to challenge themselves. But, a lot of it comes down to interests. If you're really interested in what you learn in marketing classes, why should you take advanced differential geometry just to prove your intelligence or work ethic?

trampolinez0r

New

Post by trampolinez0r » Sat May 09, 2009 1:07 pm

T14 or bust.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat May 09, 2009 1:12 pm

sbalive wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:I certainly do not consider the level of difficulty of a person's UG coursework to be any determinant of that person's intelligence, potential, work ethic, or anything else.
Really, when you think about it... grades do reflect intelligence, potential, work ethic, to some extent, but the degree of difficulty doesn't tell you anything other than maybe a little bit about someone who deliberately wants to challenge themselves. But, a lot of it comes down to interests. If you're really interested in what you learn in marketing classes, why should you take advanced differential geometry just to prove your intelligence or work ethic?
That's just the point. I've got years of physics, chemistry, biology and what have you behind me and all I can say is that they pretty much bored me to fucking tears (with the exception of biology and certain parts of math like trigonometry or logarithms). I didn't pick my majors because I couldn't hack it outside the lib arts domain (in fact, I did well in all my science courses) but because they interested me. Lots of judgments tend to be passed about lib arts majors around here, and while I've generally stayed out of them all, I gotta say I don't appreciate them too much.

matty

Bronze

Post by matty » Sat May 09, 2009 1:14 pm

sticker: T14
substantial scholarship: T25
full ride (guaranteed): maybe T40 or so

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sat May 09, 2009 1:17 pm

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat May 09, 2009 1:19 pm

awesomepossum wrote:9
LOL. Six is the credited response, AP. Six.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Sat May 09, 2009 1:21 pm

dresden doll wrote: Yeah, I did see that someone else started it and I sure do think the instigator was out of line. Even if you'd pulled 3.1 in basket weaving, it wasn't his place to pontificate about your future success in law school. No one asked for his assessment.

Appreciate your 1st paragraph. :D

Also, FWIW, my boyfriend was a history & poli-sci double major in UG. Now a lawyer.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sat May 09, 2009 1:24 pm

dresden doll wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:9
LOL. Six is the credited response, AP. Six.
:wink:

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat May 09, 2009 1:27 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
dresden doll wrote: Yeah, I did see that someone else started it and I sure do think the instigator was out of line. Even if you'd pulled 3.1 in basket weaving, it wasn't his place to pontificate about your future success in law school. No one asked for his assessment.

Appreciate your 1st paragraph. :D

Also, FWIW, my boyfriend was a history & poli-sci double major in UG. Now a lawyer.
Awesome. I was a Poli-Sci and English major myself. Where did he go to school?

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Sat May 09, 2009 1:28 pm

dresden doll wrote:
sbalive wrote:
That's just the point. I've got years of physics, chemistry, biology and what have you behind me and all I can say is that they pretty much bored me to fucking tears (with the exception of biology and certain parts of math like trigonometry or logarithms). I didn't pick my majors because I couldn't hack it outside the lib arts domain (in fact, I did well in all my science courses) but because they interested me. Lots of judgments tend to be passed about lib arts majors around here, and while I've generally stayed out of them all, I gotta say I don't appreciate them too much.
I agree with both comments, but not the edit. I think someone who did very difficult coursework (which CAN be in the humanities) and did well, can be reasonably assumed to be talented. I do not think that the converse holds, i.e. that someone who did easy coursework well is less talented, for the reasons you give above. If there is such a thing as sum(Potential, intelligence, work ethic) = A + B + ... + Z, then I think difficulty of and performance in a hard curriculum can be a positive contribution to the sum. Good performance in an easy curriculum will not be a negative, but will also not be a positive, and presumably other variables will make up the sum.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”