Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:08 am

mallard wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
69sofine wrote:Why is Yale's NY bar passage rate so low? And Stanford's Cali rate is really impressive.


Yale students too busy studying impractical theoretical BS?

Or 8% have zero work ethic.

I thought the NY Bar was supposed to be easy. UVA had 99% bar passage rate.


That's very high (around Harvard's). The NY bar is one of the four or five hardest in the country, I'm pretty sure. Duke is at 87%, Fordham at 89%, Cornell at 90%, etc.

Georgetown is pretty much on an even keel with UCLA, UT, Vandy, and USC in terms of total score - not sure if anybody's mentioned that yet...

USC holding firm at 18, but are they inching closer? Or is everyone else falling back?

jcwilsn1
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:35 pm

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby jcwilsn1 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:09 am

OperaSoprano wrote:Mom, if you're reading this, Ken promised to reimburse me for all the $$$ I am spending. Right, Ken?


He said to PM him your address. He said up to 100 bucks I think.

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby sbalive » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:09 am

doyleoil wrote:
sbalive wrote:
I think US News may have stuffed the lawyer/judge ballots just a bit to make sure things stayed consistent... 8)


haha good point - that 4.4 is awfully high


Or, maybe it's that sometimes it does pay to have that giant alumni network. Either way, it really pops out (especially with the 4.0 peer rating next to it).

User avatar
flhealth
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby flhealth » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:09 am

dont worry you post the T3 and i'll pitch in....

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby mallard » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:10 am

I personally don't think there's a great argument for UCLA, UT et al. to be ahead of Georgetown - it's a more respected name, far better profs, probably higher student quality due to professors and the DC draw, 170 75th percent LSAT, etc. Probably its size hurts it in the rankings. Still, I think T18 is probably close to as useful a category as T14.

chadstew55
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:58 pm

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby chadstew55 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:10 am

doyleoil wrote:
sbalive wrote:
I think US News may have stuffed the lawyer/judge ballots just a bit to make sure things stayed consistent... 8)


haha good point - that 4.4 is awfully high

it was the same last year.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:10 am

.
Last edited by OperaSoprano on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby doyleoil » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:10 am

chadstew55 wrote:
doyleoil wrote:
sbalive wrote:
I think US News may have stuffed the lawyer/judge ballots just a bit to make sure things stayed consistent... 8)


haha good point - that 4.4 is awfully high

it was the same last year.


yeah i just checked that - oh well

chadstew55
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:58 pm

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby chadstew55 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:10 am

mallard wrote:I personally don't think there's a great argument for UCLA, UT et al. to be ahead of Georgetown - it's a more respected name, far better profs, probably higher student quality due to professors and the DC draw, 170 75th percent LSAT, etc. Probably its size hurts it in the rankings. Still, I think T18 is probably close to as useful a category as T14.

+1 I agree with this. I think GULC deserves its T14 status.

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby coolkatz321 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:11 am

Wow. Nebraska...-27 and off of T2

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby doyleoil » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:11 am

mallard wrote:I personally don't think there's a great argument for UCLA, UT et al. to be ahead of Georgetown - it's a more respected name, far better profs, probably higher student quality due to professors and the DC draw, 170 75th percent LSAT, etc. Probably its size hurts it in the rankings. Still, I think T18 is probably close to as useful a category as T14.


do you think pt admissions standards are going to change next year, like i was suggesting?

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:11 am

.
Last edited by OperaSoprano on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
flhealth
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby flhealth » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:11 am

chadstew55 wrote:I give credit to JSUVA for calling the BS first paragraph. I think we were all skeptical with good reason. The "I told you so..." should be dropped...

with the exception of timdanreynolds, that dude had enough nad to start a thread declaring they were true....he deserves to gloat because god knows he'd be catching hell if they werent

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby RVP11 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:12 am

doyleoil wrote:
chadstew55 wrote:
doyleoil wrote:
sbalive wrote:
I think US News may have stuffed the lawyer/judge ballots just a bit to make sure things stayed consistent... 8)


haha good point - that 4.4 is awfully high

it was the same last year.


yeah i just checked that - oh well


Georgetown's lay reputation helps them a ton there, since I seriously doubt BigLaw hiring partners out there view GULC on par with Penn, Berk, etc.
Last edited by RVP11 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:12 am

.
Last edited by OperaSoprano on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:12 am

.
Last edited by OperaSoprano on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:13 am

.
Last edited by OperaSoprano on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gilchristh
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby gilchristh » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:14 am

.
Last edited by gilchristh on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
danielfgator
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:02 pm

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby danielfgator » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:14 am

Mr. Matlock wrote:
mallard wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
69sofine wrote:Why is Yale's NY bar passage rate so low? And Stanford's Cali rate is really impressive.


Yale students too busy studying impractical theoretical BS?

Or 8% have zero work ethic.

I thought the NY Bar was supposed to be easy. UVA had 99% bar passage rate.


That's very high (around Harvard's). The NY bar is one of the four or five hardest in the country, I'm pretty sure. Duke is at 87%, Fordham at 89%, Cornell at 90%, etc.

Georgetown is pretty much on an even keel with UCLA, UT, Vandy, and USC in terms of total score - not sure if anybody's mentioned that yet...

USC holding firm at 18, but are they inching closer? Or is everyone else falling back?


Their overall score went up.

jcwilsn1
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:35 pm

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby jcwilsn1 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:15 am

awesome OS!

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby doyleoil » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:15 am

poor berk - knocked out of the top spot in the ip specialty rankings

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby Veritas » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:15 am

Why are some T2 ( noticed the 3 schools at 100) listed in the T3 rankings?

dickfitzwell
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:40 am

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby dickfitzwell » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:16 am

.
Last edited by dickfitzwell on Fri May 22, 2009 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby sbalive » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:16 am

doyleoil wrote:poor berk - knocked out of the top spot in the ip specialty rankings


Duke needs to send out some more brochures, apparently.

User avatar
flhealth
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Opera goes to Penn Station in search of Rankings!

Postby flhealth » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:16 am

gilchristh wrote:
flhealth wrote:
chadstew55 wrote:I give credit to JSUVA for calling the BS first paragraph. I think we were all skeptical with good reason. The "I told you so..." should be dropped...

with the exception of timdanreynolds, that dude had enough nad to start a thread declaring they were true....he deserves to gloat because god knows he'd be catching hell if they werent


If you're talking about me, I'm not a dude and I didn't start any thread. I just posted links to a USNWR article that said that PT stats might be included in the overall rankings, and I basically got torn a new asshole for that.

is your name timdanreynolds?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: muggleclutch, Necho2 and 2 guests