UF v. FSU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF or FSU

UF
71%
FSU
29%

Total votes: 103

groinman

New

UF v. FSU

Post by groinman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:33 pm

Any thoughts on whether Florida State or Florida is the better choice with similar scholarships?

PreLawBootCamp

New

Re: UF v. FSU

Post by PreLawBootCamp » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:18 pm

UF is generally regarded as the much better school.

TuNeCedeMalis

New

Post by TuNeCedeMalis » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:21 pm

PreLawBootCamp wrote:UF is generally regarded as the much better school.

+1, except that since UF rejected me, they're quite obviously severely deficient in judgment. But yeah, UF is much better, and a better area as well, if you can put up with that damn vibe.

applepie

Bronze

Post by applepie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:49 pm

do you not live in Florida? I am biased, but Florida has such a huge network, especially in judges, that it seems to be more of a difference from FSU than rankings suggest. I know several FSU grads and they are all doing well for themselves, but all have some semi-horror story about being beaten by a UF grad. That could all be misplaced angst though...

mshaw17

New

Post by mshaw17 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:13 pm

UF UF UF is considered #1 school in FL. No contest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FL135

New

Post by FL135 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:43 pm

It depends on which part of the state you want to practise. If you want to live from Pensacola over to Lakeland and maybe Jacksonville, the FSU will be an excellent degree. If you want to practise anywhere from Jacksonville to Orlando and maybe south to Miami, I would go to UF. I am from Pensacola and have lived in Jacksonville and it seems that FSU is hold in a higher regard in Pensacola while UF is dominant in Jacksonville.

I talked to a prominent lawyer in Pensacola and he said that the advantage of FSU is that there are so many more opportunities for externships and networking in Tallahasse because it is the state capital (he was an FSU grad so take that for what its worth).

I know that UF is always regarded as the better school, but I do not know why. FSU has better numbers and a lower acceptance rate but is always regarded as the ugly stepsister to UF. I do not have an agenda because I was accepted by both but want to practise in a major city so I will not be attending either, but I would go to the one that gave me most money even if only by a dollar lol.

I am from Florida and if you have any specific questions about the area feel free to ask me.

born2run

New

Post by born2run » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:31 pm

I'm from Miami, and UF is definitely better regarded there than FSU. To be perfectly honest, I'm not even sure a lot of people there even know FSU has a law school. You see a lot of UF and UM degrees.

MannekenPis

New

Post by MannekenPis » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:45 pm

I voted UF.

You'll get to see UF trounce FSU (once again) in the Swamp this year!

And Florida is the favorite to win their third national title in four years =)

adjutor

New

Post by adjutor » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:57 am

I love UF to death (got my BA and MS there), and will be a Gator fan my entire life. That being said, I was accepted to both law schools and am very happy I chose to go to FSU for Law school. For a variety of reasons ranging from the location to the general atmosphere at both. I highly recommend taking a tour here and you will see what I am talking about, the students here are more relaxed yet do just as well and better come bar passage time. You can not beat the location of Tallahassee when it come to legal work, at least not in the state of Florida. Granted, UF is ranked higher than FSU for now. This is due in large part to the alumni network UF has built up, which FSU is catching up to. FSU is a younger school and is still trying to close the gap with UF's advanced alumni network. If you are big into rankings, check the numbers, they are almost identical. I vote FSU time and time again.

P.S. Gators are going to be back-to-back National Championships this year....... Superman wears Tebow pajamas....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gobotz

New

Post by gobotz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:02 pm

Check out what is going on with the budget cuts in both schools. I'm UG at Florida and I do know that we have experienced a sort of brain drain, which is important, obviously. But, that being said, yes UF is generally regarded as the better school. Oh and we are TOTALLY taking number 3 this year...and no one celebrates a national championship like we do on University Ave. in Gainesville!!!!!

bulldog4574

New

Post by bulldog4574 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:03 pm

I hate UF with every fiber of my being.

I voted for UF.

End of story.

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:20 pm

this thread is infested with gators

starky259

New

Post by starky259 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:28 pm

UF for Biglaw

FSU for government work

/thread

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mastiff

New

Post by Mastiff » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:19 pm

I am a proud FSU law grad and one of the happy 65% who passed the bar. I recommend that you keep an open mind and visit both schools. If you do, I am confident that many of you will prefer the atmosphere at FSU.
Ask yourself what you value in a law school, is it just the "ranking"? Do you value scholarship of professors? Do you value the academic environment? Do you value 24 hr library and school access? Do you value intern/extern opportunities? Are you interested in state government? Are you interested in access to federal courts, DCA's and the FL Supreme Court? All of these concerns should influence your decision.

mdd05d

New

Post by mdd05d » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:07 am

Mastiff wrote:I am a proud FSU law grad and one of the happy 65% who passed the bar.
Only 65% passed the bar?

SplitDecision

New

Post by SplitDecision » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:11 am

voted on the basis of sports teams

fsundergrad

New

Post by fsundergrad » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:15 am

Mastiff wrote:I am a proud FSU law grad and one of the happy 65% who passed the bar.

Flame. FSU's bar pass percentage in Florida was 88.1%.

Also, FSU ftw. Although I am undeniably biased, having participated in the summer of law program at FSU Law and seeing the school evolve and grow even since I came to FSU undergrad 4 years ago, FSU has truly a great faculty, staff and student body and is one of the most under-rated law schools imo. I have no doubt that FSU will tie or more likely overtake UF in the rankings within 5 years, especially with the beautiful new building they have just acquired.

Edit: The 88.1% bar pass percentage I listed was of course for last year, Mastiff may very well have graduated 20 years ago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:18 am

fsundergrad wrote:

Flame. FSU's bar pass percentage in Florida was 88.1%.

Also, FSU ftw. Although I am undeniably biased, having participated in the summer of law program at FSU Law and seeing the school evolve and grow even since I came to FSU undergrad 4 years ago, FSU has truly a great faculty, staff and student body and is one of the most under-rated law schools imo. I have no doubt that FSU will overtake or tie UF in the rankings within 5 years if not sooner, especially with the beautiful new building they have just acquired.

Edit: The 88.1% bar pass percentage I listed was of course for last year, Mastiff may very well have graduated 20 years ago.
This year's passage rate was abysmal. If you want to pass the Florida Bar, go to Stetson (80%) or FIU (81%). It's not a flame-- they just released the passing rates and they were absolutely embarrassing for FSU, UF and Miami.

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:22 am

groinman wrote:Any thoughts on whether Florida State or Florida is the better choice with similar scholarships?
did you get into both with similar scholarships?

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:28 am

gobotz wrote:Check out what is going on with the budget cuts in both schools. I'm UG at Florida and I do know that we have experienced a sort of brain drain, which is important, obviously. But, that being said, yes UF is generally regarded as the better school. Oh and we are TOTALLY taking number 3 this year...and no one celebrates a national championship like we do on University Ave. in Gainesville!!!!!
this budget cut crap is hogwash....the budget cuts do NOT effect the law schools (call and ask FSU or FIU law schools how the budget cut is affecting them)....UF admitted a class too large last year and now they have to trim their class this year...they keep saying its because of budget cuts....its not

Mastiff

New

Post by Mastiff » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:19 pm

fsuundergrad - If you will check, you will see that the bar passage rate for FSU this Feb exam was 65%, just slightly higher than UF's rate.

flhealth - tragically budget cuts do affect even the law schools, however, many professors are teaching in endowed chairs, and that does protect them. Where you will see the affect is thru the little things, for instance, the library used to have pizza at the weekly training classes, no longer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gottaloveJAG

New

Post by gottaloveJAG » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:41 pm

Although UF used to be held in much higher regard than FSU, that is quickly changing.
Not only is UF now only one place above FSU in USNWR rankings (at 50 and 51) with UF steadily going down in the rankings and FSU going up, but FSU is also located in a real city (not just a college town).
There are many opportunities for law students being in the capital, as you can imagine.

Cestjustemoi

Bronze

Post by Cestjustemoi » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:12 pm

gottaloveJAG wrote:Although UF used to be held in much higher regard than FSU, that is quickly changing.
Not only is UF now only one place above FSU in USNWR rankings (at 50 and 51) with UF steadily going down in the rankings and FSU going up, but FSU is also located in a real city (not just a college town).
There are many opportunities for law students being in the capital, as you can imagine.
Rankings aren't that important. Tally is not a city nor is it close to one. UF has wayyy more prestige in florida even outside of law. People who can't get admitted to UF UG tend to go to FSU and even tho FSUs law school is good it can't escape it's second best name. UF is close to both Tampa and Orlando which are actualy cities worth being in. Go to UF it's an awesome school and congrats my friend!!!

ChaotiCait

Bronze

Post by ChaotiCait » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:21 pm

I hate it when people say that FSU is where UF rejects go. I got into both, and chose FSU, along with many of my friends. The campuses are very different, there's a different attitude, with different programs. People make judgments about the schools without ever having been there. You should visit both law schools and make your choice. I also find it humorous that everyone on TLS is always all about the rankings except when UF and FSU are right next to each other.

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:30 pm

starky259 wrote:UF for Biglaw

[strike]FSU[/strike] UF for government work

/thread

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”