Duke ($) vs. UVA ($) vs. Penn ($) vs. NYU/CLS (sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go to school?

Total votes: 0

undecided5

New

Duke ($) vs. UVA ($) vs. Penn ($) vs. NYU/CLS (sticker)

Post by undecided5 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:06 pm

Apologies in advance for the length of this post.

I'm having a really tough time making a decision. I've been offered $72,000 at Duke and $45,000 at both Virginia and Penn. I didn't get anything at NYU and am still waiting to hear from Columbia but don't expect anything. (I currently live in Florida. I've ruled out Florida and Stetson because I want a school with national reach. I ruled out Vanderbilt despite an 87K offer because it just didn't feel right at ASW.)

Factors

1. I am from North Carolina. I am very close to my sister and brother, who both live in the Raleigh-Durham area. I went to UNC undergrad, so I know and like the area. This makes Duke appealing.

2. However, I am not so much interested in Big Law. I am interested in public interest, particularly civil liberties and First Amendment issues. I'd like to keep my options open, of course, since there are probably limited job prospects in those areas, but NYU and Columbia seem like they would be better choices for public interest. Virginia has a First Amendment clinic that interests me. I worry that Duke is better for Big Law placement than public interest. Any thoughts on these perceptions?

3. I love the idea of living in New York City for 3 years. But is it worth $200,000 in debt, especially if I think I'd like to settle in the mid-Atlantic or Southeast?

4. As far as "fit," I went to NYU, Columbia and UVA's Admitted Students Weekends, and loved them all. I visited Duke on my own and had a good experience. I think I could be happy at any of these schools.

5. I haven't visited Penn, mainly because I've run out of steam on visitations. My husband went to undergrad in Philadelphia and likes the idea of living there. Any thoughts on Penn?

6. I am not particularly debt-averse, but my husband is. (I am older than most law students, 30. I've been working in newspapers since college.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, do you think I could leverage Duke's money with Virginia, or Penn's with NYU/Columbia? Are they "peers"? I'm new to the forum world.

Thanks in advance!

Bosque

Gold

Re: Duke ($) vs. UVA ($) vs. Penn ($) vs. NYU/CLS (sticker)

Post by Bosque » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:12 pm

undecided5 wrote: Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, do you think I could leverage Duke's money with Virginia, or Penn's with NYU/Columbia? Are they "peers"? I'm new to the forum world.

Thanks in advance!
Virginia, definitely. Penn, very likely. I am 90% sure you can get more out of NYU/Columbia as well, but I am not sure they will match Duke. I think you have some homework to do before we can really answer this question.

To be clear, I mean trying to get more money, not more research.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:19 pm

In your situation where you have family in UNC and you want to do PI, Duke with that awesome scholarship seems the obvious choice.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:57 pm

kurla88 wrote:In your situation where you have family in UNC and you want to do PI, Duke with that awesome scholarship seems the obvious choice.

Credited.

But I would still see how much you can squeeze out of these other schools before you sign on the dotted line.

undecided5

New

Post by undecided5 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:23 pm

Thanks for your replies! I will update once I find out more.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”