Best Schools for Real Estate Law? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thatzero

New

Best Schools for Real Estate Law?

Post by thatzero » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:06 pm

Does anyone have any insight to which schools have great programs in Real Estate Law? I work in the Real Estate field currently, and am thinking about doing law school to go into real estate law, but the rankings that I have come across (like USNews) don't break out Real Estate/Real Property as a specialty.

Thank You.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Re: Best Schools for Real Estate Law?

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:17 pm

thatzero wrote:Does anyone have any insight to which schools have great programs in Real Estate Law? I work in the Real Estate field currently, and am thinking about doing law school to go into real estate law, but the rankings that I have come across (like USNews) don't break out Real Estate/Real Property as a specialty.

Thank You.
I hear that Remax Law School is very, very well-known for this (couldn't help myself).

hel2105

New

Post by hel2105 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:25 pm

I don't think there's an easy way to determine which schools are best at Real Estate Law, it's just too specific a field. I also want to do real estate law, but from what information I've been able to gather from various schools, it doesn't look like many of them have too many course offerings on the subject. Each school usually just has one or two Real Estate Law courses offered, and then a handful of related courses like Construction Law, or Corporate Finance, etc. Real estate is pretty much grouped in with corporate law, so you'll probably want to go with a school that's strong in that area. A few schools also have centers for real estate, which offer seminars and events for students in all different disciplines who want to get into Real Estate, so that's something to keep an eye out for. I'm also looking for schools that offer a graduate program in Real Estate Development, because that way there's opportunities for cross-registration.

Right now I'm focused on New York schools, because I'd like to eventually work for a New York developer (assuming the market doesn't continue to tank indefinitely), and I think I'm leaning towards NYU because of their Real Estate Center.

Hope these thoughts help...good luck in your search.

Zephyr873

New

Post by Zephyr873 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:51 am

Pitt is starting a "Law and Entrepreneurship" curricula this year. I would imagine there will be some real estate law classes involved.

You might be more interested in an MBA program, though.

DaveDude

New

Post by DaveDude » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:00 am

Don't worry about real estate law specific programs when choosing a law school. Go to a good school, get real estate law related experience while you're there, and you'll be in a good position to get hired by firms with real estate practices.

If you have specific questions about real estate law, feel free to pm me. I'm a real estate paralegal at a small firm where I either do or help out with most everything that gets in front of the two real estate lawyers here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”