Full Darrow Scholarship at Michigan vs. Columbia Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan or Columbia?

Michigan (Darrow)
85%
Columbia
15%

Total votes: 345

Reinhardt

Re: Full Darrow Scholarship at Michigan vs. Columbia Law School

Postby Reinhardt » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:15 pm

If the Darrow is something you can put on your resume, that may help balance out the worsened employment prospects.

BeastCoastHype

Postby BeastCoastHype » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:06 am

huckabees wrote:I think Michigan makes more sense.

Columbia might up your aid a bit, say to $50K, plus or minus $20K. However, that still makes CLS around $100K more expensive than Michigan...?

And wow, is Darrow winning by a landslide or what...

Yeah, based on LSN it looks like Columbia, Chicago, and NYU tend to come in around 60 - 70k in aid in response to a Darrow. And yes, Michigan is crushing it beyond what I even expected. At first it was about 50/50, but now CLS might as well not be in the picture. Can anyone who voted for Columbia tell me why you would choose that one?

gannak

Postby gannak » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:34 am

because if you do well at columbia an extra $100-200k in loans isn't going to be anything compared to what you can make in firms that hire the top graduates from that school.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:42 am

gannak wrote:because if you do well at columbia an extra $100-200k in loans isn't going to be anything compared to what you can make in firms that hire the top graduates from that school.

well you would have to show that there is a definite salary differential... otherwise 100-200k (+ interest) is meaningful to anybody.

FranFang

Postby FranFang » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:12 pm

Has anyone with a Full Darrow tried to bargain with Columbia? I'm about to do it but I'd be interested to know what other ppl have experienced....Please PM me or share!!

Pumpkin

Postby Pumpkin » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:15 pm

are you going to do it now, before they offer you financial aid?

trying to figure out how to use the darrow vs both nyu and columbia..

FranFang

Postby FranFang » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:42 pm

I don't think I'm going to get any financial aid- both my parents get upper middle class salaries, even though I am solely responsible for paying for my edu. Do you think I should do it after the financial aid is doled out so that they know how much they have left to spend?

MLaw11

Postby MLaw11 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:28 pm

If you still feel comfortable taking on the extra debt after reading about all the firm layoffs, be my guest. I wouldn't.

EDIT: Try to negotiate with CLS first obviously.

BeastCoastHype

Postby BeastCoastHype » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:13 am

NYU financial aid package received after negotiation attempt. Offer: $0.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:25 am

BeastCoastHype wrote:NYU financial aid package received after negotiation attempt. Offer: $0.

WOW. That's unfathomable. I assume you haven't heard back from Columbia? (I don't know if anyone has, besides the Hamilton/Butler people).

Have you been to Michigan's ASW? If you can see yourself there, I think it's game over.

motownsaint

Postby motownsaint » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:34 am

Can anyone substantiate the claim that market pay for median CLS grads is greater than market pay for median Michigan grads starting/working in biglaw? And I mean ignoring the 20 or so outliers working at places like Wachtell?

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:38 am

motownsaint wrote:Can anyone substantiate the claim that market pay for median CLS grads is greater than market pay for median Michigan grads starting/working in biglaw? And I mean ignoring the 20 or so outliers working at places like Wachtell?

http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/view.php/135

vs.

http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/view.php/21

That said, the small disparity shouldn't play a huge role IMHO.

usaojeff

Postby usaojeff » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:41 am

CLS, because debt doesn't matter . . . remember???

BeastCoastHype

Postby BeastCoastHype » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:46 am

motownsaint wrote:Can anyone substantiate the claim that market pay for median CLS grads is greater than market pay for median Michigan grads starting/working in biglaw? And I mean ignoring the 20 or so outliers working at places like Wachtell?

This is something I've thought a lot about, and I think the answer at least for the short term is a firm no. Everyone generally goes to the same biglaw bucket and gets chewed up for a while. I think that perhaps the difference really emerges later on in a career. Take a look at the lists of alumni of both of these schools on Wikipedia. They both have great lists, but Columbia has more people running major companies etc. I think that the schools' networks and the general prestige comes into play when you want to move on from your first job. If you are at a big firm for example and you've worked with a major client for some time, they are going to be more likely to bring you in as an executive with a T5 degree than a T10 degree. It isn't fair and it's really, really stupid but it can be how the world works. This could be where the layman's impression and all the other things that people argue over on this site come into play.

the dude

Postby the dude » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:51 am

Take the Darrow. Very prestigious, debt sucks, and we're in the worst economy since the Great Depression.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:18 pm

Unemployed wrote:
BeastCoastHype wrote:NYU financial aid package received after negotiation attempt. Offer: $0.

WOW. That's unfathomable.

Definitely fathomable to me. I am a Darrow recipient and, as far as I can tell, am going to get WL'd/dinged from NYU (applied in early Nov, still no word).

Back to subject -- OP, I say Darrow.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Thread is dead.

MJMD

Postby MJMD » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:17 am

Beyond even the money, you can put the scholarship from Michigan on your resume, and it will look great there.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:30 am

No question... Michigan. Do you realize how much money you're talking about?

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:55 am

lawschooliseasy wrote:No question... Michigan. Do you realize how much money you're talking about?

do you realize this guy applied last cycle and is already at school?

(he took the full darrow)

iminlstrick

Postby iminlstrick » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:08 pm

I'd like to add a different perspective (and raise this thread from the dead for current cycle applicants). I took CLS over the Darrow. I won't lie, I regretted it many times during my 1L until I applied for jobs. The Darrow absolutely is prestigious, and I've had professors at CLS tell me I was an idiot point blank for not taking it.

That said, I've also had employers tell me that if you're interested in working internationally, especially in P.I., then school prestige can trump prestigious scholarships. International clients don't always know what a Darrow is or means, but they've heard of Columbia. Take it for what it's worth, Columbia has a fantastic LRAP which made swallowing the debt easier for me. Also, remember that even if you accept a full ride anywhere, while hopefully you will do well there since you were a "merit-worthy" applicant, if you don't then you may not have the high school rank to help your resume along in hiring.

If I could do it again, it'd still be a ridiculously difficult choice, and I'd still probably choose Columbia. The everyday networking -- professional and academic -- opportunities that NYC hands you on a platter are pretty priceless.

Also: FWIW, I did not get into HYS. Yes, I've been told that if I had gone to Mich with a Darrow, employers might have assumed that I turned down any of HY or S, but that seemed a silly reason to pick one school over the other.
Last edited by iminlstrick on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:10 pm

kurla88 wrote:I said Darrow. If you get HYS that might be different, but I don't feel like Columbia is worth the debt. With a Darrow-worthy app, it seems like HYS would be on the horizon for you, though!

Good luck on your tough decision... and congrats!

not true
People with my numbers have gotten the Darrow, and there is no way I could get HYS

OP: are you getting any money at all from Columbia?

top30man

Postby top30man » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:15 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
kurla88 wrote:I said Darrow. If you get HYS that might be different, but I don't feel like Columbia is worth the debt. With a Darrow-worthy app, it seems like HYS would be on the horizon for you, though!

not true
People with my numbers have gotten the Darrow, and there is no way I could get HYS

Op is from 2009. Strange bump is strange.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:24 pm

top30man wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

not true

Op is from 2009. Strange bump is strange.

whoops, lol

fakehunter

Postby fakehunter » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:54 pm

I chose Michigan - my dad's an attorney, and those he obviously doesn't speak for all, he often hires grads from worse law schools that get full scholarships - clearly if you got a full scholarship at a top school you could get in someone better. As long as you put the scholarship on the resume, I don't think it'd make much of a difference for placement.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”