BYU 1L Taking Questions

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
biggame

BYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby biggame » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:05 pm

Let me give you my perspective on any questions that you have about the school.

CE2JD

Re: BYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby CE2JD » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:10 pm

DO THEY MAKE YOU LEARN ABOUT JO SMITH AND THE GOLDEN BIBLE???? LOL

biggame

Postby biggame » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:11 pm

CE2JD wrote:DO THEY MAKE YOU LEARN ABOUT JO SMITH AND THE GOLDEN BIBLE???? LOL

Funny question. HaHa. And the answer is....no. Surprise Surprise I know.

mbdymu02

Postby mbdymu02 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:12 pm

biggame I just sent you a pm. Sometimes posting about BYU leads to a thread hijack by people such as the above poster. It tends to get ugly.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:13 pm

BTW, I went to BYU undergrad, but I thought I'd just throw that out there and beat some of the people who really are bigots on this site to it.

biggame

Postby biggame » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:20 pm

CE2JD wrote:BTW, I went to BYU undergrad, but I thought I'd just throw that out there and beat some of the people who really are bigots on this site to it.

Yeah...well hopefully we can get some good questions about the school and start a productive dialogue for those that are truly interested in coming to the school.

mbdymu02

Postby mbdymu02 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:23 pm

BYU Law has a reputation for being ultra competitive, as there are a lot of students who pass on higher schools for the BYU experience and want to make it worth their while. Do you find this the case? It seems that there are more highly talented students at BYU than there are great job opportunities.

biggame

Postby biggame » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:38 pm

mbdymu02 wrote:BYU Law has a reputation for being ultra competitive, as there are a lot of students who pass on higher schools for the BYU experience and want to make it worth their while. Do you find this the case? It seems that there are more highly talented students at BYU than there are great job opportunities.

There are definitely plenty of students who pass on higher ranked schools to come here making the curve tough to beat, but at any school beating the curve will be tough. About jobs...two thoughts

1. As you probably know not too many 1Ls get paid gigs their first summer any way though I do know of fellow 1Ls that are getting paid the big bucks this coming summer. That said BYU has one of the best externship programs in the country. Around 50 of us are going to work abroad at firms in the coming summer, at least 10 of us will be at Baker and McKenzie offices (literally all over the world.) If you aren't interested in international, there are still many many domestic firms who want 1 or 2 BYU 1Ls for externships during the summer. So it seems from my perspective that at least for the first summer there are plenty of opportunities.

2. I just got back from NYC where I was doing informational interviews and a few real interviews. One partner at a large firm said something that stood out. He said that their firm was having a tough time getting BYU students because they only interview from the top of the class and then he said that BYU students at the top of the class can pretty much work at any firm so they lose out to the more prestigious firms. From what I have seen this seems to be true. BYU is now placing students in the largest firms all over the country. Friom what our career service office has said and other lawyers, the next step for BYU is to get big firms to interview from deeper within the class.

This said, there seems to be plenty of opportunities, primarily because of the tight network of attorneys associated with the school around the world, though the next year or two may be different with the economic climate the way it is. So far I am greatly pleased with job prospectives.

On a personal note, I wasn't sure if I would come to the school until I met with the career service office. They are amazing and are able to give you all the personal help that you need. You can just walk into their office when ever you need.

Mercury

Postby Mercury » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:45 pm

How do you get your wife to let you get another wife? Mine's not budging, and it's really starting to annoy me.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:48 pm

Mercury wrote:How do you get your wife to let you get another wife? Mine's not budging, and it's really starting to annoy me.

speaking of which...are there any non mormons at the school, is it mormon the way University of San Diego is catholic? or is it mormon the way regent is evangelical

mrman17

Postby mrman17 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:57 pm

Mercury wrote:How do you get your wife to let you get another wife? Mine's not budging, and it's really starting to annoy me.

Hey come on, be respectful and serious. ALL polygamists would be kicked out of BYU, since it is now against the doctrines of the LDS, and has been for over 115 years. Besides, BYU law is a well respected program.

willnumber85

Postby willnumber85 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:59 pm

I am just curious how you would rate the quality of instruction and your overall 1L experience. Are the professors helpful and student-oriented, or more focused on themselves and academia?

JMC

Postby JMC » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:05 pm

i've always wondered why it's OK to make fun of mormons. can you imagine the backlash if we started clowning on muslims--where polygamy is actually legal and practiced.

mrman17

Postby mrman17 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:07 pm

Let's all remember that this is a law school forum. Those who want to offend each other's religious sensibilities should look for the numerous other sites out there.

willnumber85

Postby willnumber85 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:08 pm

JMC wrote:

i've always wondered why it's OK to make fun of mormons. can you imagine the backlash if we started clowning on muslims--where polygamy is actually legal and practiced.

Thank you! Some people got no respect... I think mormons somehow get "special" treatment despite the fact that it is taboo to bash on any other major religions.

EscapeIdaho

Postby EscapeIdaho » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:13 pm

Oh come now, it certainly wasn't a funny joke, but it wasn't really offensive either. The comment could have been overlooked with no problems.

Back on topic, have you eaten at any of the Korean restaurants in Provo? I know there are a few, but I'm wondering if they're any good. I really miss that stuff, and can't find anything very good up in Idaho.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:19 pm

Oh look, you've attracted your first idiot.

mrman17

Postby mrman17 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:19 pm

EscapeIdaho wrote:Oh come now, it certainly wasn't a funny joke, but it wasn't really offensive either. The comment could have been overlooked with no problems.

Back on topic, have you eaten at any of the Korean restaurants in Provo? I know there are a few, but I'm wondering if they're any good. I really miss that stuff, and can't find anything very good up in Idaho.

One of the nice things about Provo, is that you can find just about any kind of ethnic food that you can think of. Filipino, Korean, Chilean, Argentinian, Brazilian, Indian, Pakistani....etc.

biggame

Postby biggame » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:21 pm

EscapeIdaho wrote:Oh come now, it certainly wasn't a funny joke, but it wasn't really offensive either. The comment could have been overlooked with no problems.

Yeah, actually I have eaten at one on University. "Touch of Sol" I think it is called. It was good. Where are living up in Idaho?

EscapeIdaho

Postby EscapeIdaho » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:27 pm

biggame wrote:

Yeah, actually I have eaten at one on University. "Touch of Sol" I think it is called. It was good. Where are living up in Idaho?

I'm in Rexburg, and I am seriously considering moving from one BYU to another, which I never thought I would do! A good Korean restaurant will be quite the draw, I'll have to check it out when we come to visit. Did you do your undergrad at BYU? I'm wondering if I will be able to do 7 years of BYU. It's not that I don't like it, but some variety might be nice. Are there enough opposing viewpoints in the classroom to keep things interesting?

biggame

Postby biggame » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:33 pm

willnumber85 wrote:I am just curious how you would rate the quality of instruction and your overall 1L experience. Are the professors helpful and student-oriented, or more focused on themselves and academia?

I answered this but I don't no where it went so I will give a quick synopsis.

My current Con Law professor. Lisa Sun. Graduated as the first woman to ever be #1 at Harvard and the first person to graduate Summa in 15 years. She taught at Stanford and now recently came to BYU. The first week of class she told us that she wanted to get to know us all better and that we could sign up in small groups to go to lunch with her. Later that week 4 of us went to lunch with her and we talked with her about everything and anything. She also was engaged and asked us questions about our interests, plans for the future, and why we came to law school. She is a great professor and focused on really helping us.

There are other good examples also but she is a great one. The professors don't seem to be too research oriented. Last semester all of my professors made extra efforts to get to know us personally and to improve their teaching style.

I was unaware of how great the faculty was here until I came. Great surprise.

biggame

Postby biggame » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:39 pm

EscapeIdaho wrote:
biggame wrote:

I'm in Rexburg, and I am seriously considering moving from one BYU to another, which I never thought I would do! A good Korean restaurant will be quite the draw, I'll have to check it out when we come to visit. Did you do your undergrad at BYU? I'm wondering if I will be able to do 7 years of BYU. It's not that I don't like it, but some variety might be nice. Are there enough opposing viewpoints in the classroom to keep things interesting?

It is fine to do. I actually graduated from BYU-Idaho though I wasn't there for all 4 years just a year and half. It was a tough choice to come to BYU for law school for multiple reasons but I am glad to be here and know I made the right choice. I was just in Boston for a JRCS conference where I talked to many other lds law students. Some of them got accepted to BYU and some didn't, though all were having good experiences at their school were definitely a bit envious about the debt load.

It is just a trade off and depends on what offers you get from other schools and where you want to work. One piece of advice is too be wary of the conditional scholarships. There is no guarantee that you will be at the top of class.

fleurdelis

Postby fleurdelis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:17 pm

Hey thanks for taking the time out to do this! I really appreciate it!

What's your typical day like? What time do classes start, how long do you study, etc?

Are you glad you decided to study at BYU?

How's the single life for BYU grad students? I know a lot of people tend to be married.

biggame

Postby biggame » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:02 pm

fleurdelis wrote:Hey thanks for taking the time out to do this! I really appreciate it!

What's your typical day like? What time do classes start, how long do you study, etc?

Are you glad you decided to study at BYU?

How's the single life for BYU grad students? I know a lot of people tend to be married.

No problem. So far for the 1Ls classes have started from 8am-10am. I have only had one 8am class and it is this semester and it is only twice a week so it isn't too bad. On average most students tend to get here around 8 and leave around 3. That seems to be the normal work day, though people do come back later at night to study or study at home. Myself, I get here at 7:05 everyday and I usually stay until 5, though this week we have a brief due so I will be staying much later and during final preparations I would stay much later.

I am definitely glad I am at BYU. Sometimes I think it would be fun to be in a big city, I am from San Francisco, so I am not really a small town kinda person but Provo-Orem is actually good size with lots of everything and Salt Lake is relatively close with plenty to do as well.

School wise I chose to come because of the career prospects, price, and family mainly. Since I have been here I have come to appreciate the great faculty, extra curricular activities and most importantly the new friends.

fleurdelis

Postby fleurdelis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:14 pm

How does the externship program work? Is it difficult to get a good spot?

What is a common complaint among your fellow students?

Are you familiar with any graduate housing?

Sorry for all the questions. I am just really interested in knowing. Thanks!
Last edited by fleurdelis on Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”