Top conservative law schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby 20160810 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:43 pm

dresden doll wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:Hey guys, I want to go to a law school with the largest percentage of 6'3" white guys who like watching football and reading mystery novels; can you recommend a school? I was thinking about Yale, but I'm just afraid everyone there won't be exactly like me. Maybe GMU is a better fit?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I want to go to law school with all who share my love of Dostoevsky, classic Hollywood movies (think Clark Gable - to - Cary Grant era) and Woody Allen jokes. Oh, and with SBL, of course.


I love classic film noir, however I cannot help but to admit that I think Dostoevsky was in sore need of two things: Therapy and a good editor.

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby Skadden Stairs » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:44 pm

People have the right to think whatever they want, just like I have the right to sneer at you for it. Fucktards.

pomona
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:54 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby pomona » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:45 pm

How about Northwestern; do the students tend to lean left/right?

jungleshark
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby jungleshark » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:46 pm

Not all states have laws banning discrimination against homosexuals in hiring and admission.

Regardless, let's say I wanted to hire a maid to clean my house. I have to decide between 2 candidates: a lesbian and a heterosexual. I decide to discriminate against the lesbian because I don't want her in my home around my children. What is the government going to do, force the lesbian into my home?

jungleshark
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby jungleshark » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:48 pm

How about Northwestern; do the students tend to lean left/right?


Northwestern has a conservative professor who founded the Federalist Society.

User avatar
Mitsunobu
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:16 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby Mitsunobu » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:50 pm

jungleshark wrote:Not all states have laws banning discrimination against homosexuals in hiring and admission.

Regardless, let's say I wanted to hire a maid to clean my house. I have to decide between 2 candidates: a lesbian and a heterosexual. I decide to discriminate against the lesbian because I don't want her in my home around my children. What is the government going to do, force the lesbian into my home?


So how do you feel about the negroes?

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby sbalive » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:51 pm

LawandOrder wrote:
sbalive wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:So what if he is homophobic and opposes legal rights for gays? That is his right. Are you a homophobe-phobe?


Discriminating someone on the basis of their sexual orientation - treating them differently or harming them in any way - is wrong, whether you think that sexual orientation should be named as a protected category or not. Oppose explicit legal protection for homosexuality if you'd like, though as a prospective lawyer you should be prepared to argue that position. But it is never alright to be a homophobe - or to condone the actions of other homophobes.



I'm not sure what to make of this. There is, as I think you've pointed out, a marked difference between harbouring homophobic thoughts and feelings and the manifestation of those beliefs into actual discrimination against protected classes.

Because there is a difference, it is perfectly fine to be a homophobe, and/or to condone the actions of other homophobes, provided that they do not act in a discriminatory way against homosexuals.

The difference between holding beliefs and acting upon them is the crucial distinction.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."
Voltaire


I guess the question is how you define "homophobe". I believe that there are very few heterosexual men who do not have some level of homophobia. (Heck, there are a ton of homosexuals who have some level of homophobia; see Ted Haggard for extreme example thereof.) By the same token, a lot of white people get nervous when they see groups of young black men approaching them in an urban area. The point is, what do you do with these emotions? The great failing of Political Correctness was the idea that you could regulate language and speech as a means of controlling feelings and emotions. But, at the same time, it's true that language and speech do provide a vehicle for perpetuating discrimination and hostility. For example, if a lecturer in a classroom says "I'm a homophobe" - is that an action that you would condone?

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby dresden doll » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:53 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:Hey guys, I want to go to a law school with the largest percentage of 6'3" white guys who like watching football and reading mystery novels; can you recommend a school? I was thinking about Yale, but I'm just afraid everyone there won't be exactly like me. Maybe GMU is a better fit?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I want to go to law school with all who share my love of Dostoevsky, classic Hollywood movies (think Clark Gable - to - Cary Grant era) and Woody Allen jokes. Oh, and with SBL, of course.


I love classic film noir, however I cannot help but to admit that I think Dostoevsky was in sore need of two things: Therapy and a good editor.


No, no, no! Remember (unless you happen to be fluent in Russian, of course) that you've read Dostoevsky in a translation - and some translators aren't as competent as they ought to be. (Reading Flannery O'Connor in my native language had me cringing for that very reason). It's not Dostoevsky's fault that some haven't translated his works very well.

As for therapy, true enough. But give the man a break: he was almost shot and spent years doing forced labor in Siberia. Anyone might need therapy in the light of such experiences.

Also, I heart film noir. Nothing like 'Double Indemnity' or 'Sunset Boulevard' to make my evening.

jungleshark
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby jungleshark » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:56 pm

Mitsunobu wrote:
jungleshark wrote:Not all states have laws banning discrimination against homosexuals in hiring and admission.

Regardless, let's say I wanted to hire a maid to clean my house. I have to decide between 2 candidates: a lesbian and a heterosexual. I decide to discriminate against the lesbian because I don't want her in my home around my children. What is the government going to do, force the lesbian into my home?


So how do you feel about the negroes?



I am a libertarian who believes in private property rights, so I believe that one has the right to exclude others from one's property, for whatever reason. Whether that is moral or not is a different debate, but to deny the right to exclude is to deny the right to private property.

User avatar
Mitsunobu
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:16 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby Mitsunobu » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:58 pm

jungleshark wrote:
Mitsunobu wrote:
jungleshark wrote:Not all states have laws banning discrimination against homosexuals in hiring and admission.

Regardless, let's say I wanted to hire a maid to clean my house. I have to decide between 2 candidates: a lesbian and a heterosexual. I decide to discriminate against the lesbian because I don't want her in my home around my children. What is the government going to do, force the lesbian into my home?


So how do you feel about the negroes?



I am a libertarian who believes in private property rights, so I believe that one has the right to exclude others from one's property, for whatever reason. Whether that is moral or not is a different debate, but to deny the right to exclude is to deny the right to private property.


So why don't you mind your own fucking business and let people live how they want to.

alleycat3
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:45 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby alleycat3 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:59 pm

lex talionis wrote:
alleycat3 wrote:West Wing pilot.

Bartlet: Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I had you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be?

While thinking about that, can I ask another? My chief of staff, Leo McGarry, insists on working on the sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or is it OK to call the police?

Here's one that's really important 'cause we've got a lot of sports fans in this town. Touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point?

Does the whole town have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side-by-side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Think about those questions, would you?

One last thing, while you may mistaking this for your monthly meeting of the Ignorant Tight-ass Club. In this building, when the President stands, nobody sits.


Close. Not the pilot, but "The Midterms" (S2E03).


Yeah, I realized that as soon as I posted it but didn't feel like editing. I can picture a scene like this from the pilot too, though... thought he quoted the bible.

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby Skadden Stairs » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:06 pm

alleycat3 wrote:Yeah, I realized that as soon as I posted it but didn't feel like editing. I can picture a scene like this from the pilot too, though... thought he quoted the bible.

He corrected the evangelicals for not knowing the order of the commandments and not condemning the "Lambs of God" (who sent a doll with a knife or something to his granddaughter).

jungleshark
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby jungleshark » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:06 pm

Mitsunobu wrote:
jungleshark wrote:
Mitsunobu wrote:
jungleshark wrote:Not all states have laws banning discrimination against homosexuals in hiring and admission.

Regardless, let's say I wanted to hire a maid to clean my house. I have to decide between 2 candidates: a lesbian and a heterosexual. I decide to discriminate against the lesbian because I don't want her in my home around my children. What is the government going to do, force the lesbian into my home?


So how do you feel about the negroes?



I am a libertarian who believes in private property rights, so I believe that one has the right to exclude others from one's property, for whatever reason. Whether that is moral or not is a different debate, but to deny the right to exclude is to deny the right to private property.


So why don't you mind your own fucking business and let people live how they want to.


I'm letting people live how they want to. I'm just stating my opinions.

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby Skadden Stairs » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:08 pm

jungleshark wrote:I'm letting people live how they want to. I'm just stating my opinions.

Yeah... your opinions suck ass.

jungleshark
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby jungleshark » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:10 pm

You people should just debate the merits of my position, instead of just swearing and losing the ability to hold civil discourse.

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby 06072010 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:11 pm

jungleshark wrote:I can discriminate against whoever I please. I discriminate when I decide whom to marry, whom to associate with, which professors I want to take classes from, etc... "Discrimination" is thought, and thought is something that is permitted in a free society.


And as far as a school's "non-discrimination" policy against homosexuals goes, I have the right to disagree with that policy, and to voice my disagreement. (Although of course I won't do that on a law school application :lol: )


So basically you're a sissy. If you're going to be a bigot, be loud and proud, dude. That said, you have been civil in holding your position and I ask everyone else do the same.

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby Skadden Stairs » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:12 pm

jungleshark wrote:You people should just debate the merits of my position, instead of just swearing and losing the ability to hold civil discourse.

There is no "civil discourse" to be had with someone who wants to actively discriminate because the Flying Spaghetti Monster told him to.

Edit: It would go something like this...
I give a rational, reasoned argument, then you say "but the Bible says otherwise."

User avatar
Mitsunobu
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:16 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby Mitsunobu » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:15 pm

jungleshark wrote:You people should just debate the merits of my position, instead of just swearing and losing the ability to hold civil discourse.


Why do you hate gay people?

jungleshark
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby jungleshark » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:20 pm

Mitsunobu wrote:
jungleshark wrote:You people should just debate the merits of my position, instead of just swearing and losing the ability to hold civil discourse.


Why do you hate gay people?


I don't remember saying that I hated gay people.

User avatar
Mitsunobu
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:16 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby Mitsunobu » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:25 pm

jungleshark wrote:
Mitsunobu wrote:
jungleshark wrote:You people should just debate the merits of my position, instead of just swearing and losing the ability to hold civil discourse.


Why do you hate gay people?


I don't remember saying that I hated gay people.


1)How do you feel about gay marriage?
2)Would you be OK with your daughter (assuming you had one) marrying a black man?
3)Have you ever bombed an abortion clinic?

bauerahl
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:28 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby bauerahl » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:25 pm

jungleshark wrote:
Mitsunobu wrote:
jungleshark wrote:Not all states have laws banning discrimination against homosexuals in hiring and admission.

Regardless, let's say I wanted to hire a maid to clean my house. I have to decide between 2 candidates: a lesbian and a heterosexual. I decide to discriminate against the lesbian because I don't want her in my home around my children. What is the government going to do, force the lesbian into my home?


So how do you feel about the negroes?



I am a libertarian who believes in private property rights, so I believe that one has the right to exclude others from one's property, for whatever reason. Whether that is moral or not is a different debate, but to deny the right to exclude is to deny the right to private property.


That is getting pretty close to racism. And to the extent it's not racist, it's just wrong. Of course, owning property gives you many more rights than others. Yet even under the libertarian model, owning private property does not give you ultimate authority over that property. It's just that simple. If you kill someone on your property (whether legal or not), you can't prevent or otherwise exclude the police from coming onto your land to investigate.

steindle
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby steindle » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:29 pm

bauerahl wrote:you can't prevent or otherwise exclude the police from coming onto your land to investigate.


You are evidently not familiar with a little principality I like to call Sealand.

broken_image

jungleshark
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby jungleshark » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:31 pm

Mitsunobu wrote:
jungleshark wrote:
Mitsunobu wrote:
jungleshark wrote:You people should just debate the merits of my position, instead of just swearing and losing the ability to hold civil discourse.


Why do you hate gay people?


I don't remember saying that I hated gay people.


1)How do you feel about gay marriage?
2)Would you be OK with your daughter (assuming you had one) marrying a black man?
3)Have you ever bombed an abortion clinic?


1)I don't feel great about it.
2)I don't have a daughter, so I don't see how I could assume that I have one.
3)No.

User avatar
Mitsunobu
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:16 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby Mitsunobu » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:34 pm

jungleshark wrote:1)I don't feel great about it.
2)I don't have a daughter, so I don't see how I could assume that I have one.
3)No.


You are a slippery bastard. I have to admit that you will make a good lawyer.

jungleshark
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Top conservative law schools

Postby jungleshark » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:36 pm

bauerahl wrote:
jungleshark wrote:
Mitsunobu wrote:
jungleshark wrote:Not all states have laws banning discrimination against homosexuals in hiring and admission.

Regardless, let's say I wanted to hire a maid to clean my house. I have to decide between 2 candidates: a lesbian and a heterosexual. I decide to discriminate against the lesbian because I don't want her in my home around my children. What is the government going to do, force the lesbian into my home?


So how do you feel about the negroes?



I am a libertarian who believes in private property rights, so I believe that one has the right to exclude others from one's property, for whatever reason. Whether that is moral or not is a different debate, but to deny the right to exclude is to deny the right to private property.


That is getting pretty close to racism. And to the extent it's not racist, it's just wrong. Of course, owning property gives you many more rights than others. Yet even under the libertarian model, owning private property does not give you ultimate authority over that property. It's just that simple. If you kill someone on your property (whether legal or not), you can't prevent or otherwise exclude the police from coming onto your land to investigate.


Is it wrong to exclude people from your property? Most people who own houses exclude people whom they dislike from their home. And I was not ever making a judgment as to whether it was morally right or wrong; I was just saying that people have the right to exclude. And as for the extent of property rights, if you would adopt the libertarian model, I'd be happy to debate the property rights issue with you. But we would have to find common ground in that regard before continuing to debate that point.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests