Roger Williams Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Cramble

New

Re: Roger Williams Law

Post by Cramble » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:50 pm

I just read the ripoffreports. Harsh stuff.

Someperson

New

Post by Someperson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:53 pm

Cramble wrote:I just read the ripoffreports. Harsh stuff.
Yeah, those private practices sound rough.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:01 pm

surprisingly Weil LLP interviews there.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:02 pm

Sorry but "Barry, from Denver" is a retard. Try getting a job in Denver with a JD from: Florida Coastal, Barry, FIU, Pheonix School of Law, Ave Maria, etc. It ain't happenin'. Take even his precious Suffolk for example. That's still not a great school to try to find a job halfway across the counrty with. People try to move across the country with a freakin' Fordham degree or a GWU degree and still are met with difficulty at times. There are about 14 "national" schools. Talk about uninformed.

jeisner

New

Post by jeisner » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:04 pm

Brown should buy out RWU law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:32 pm

I did UG in RI, so I knew a few people who ended up choosing RWU because of the aid available. They were interested in Public Service and one of them is the current editor in chief of the RWU law review, she is the girl in all the RWU materials talking about public service.

If you go there, just make sure to do well and be well connected. If you like RI, I think its a fine choice. But don't expect to travel far. I would not go there without a substantial amount of money though.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:34 pm

jeisner wrote:Brown should buy out RWU law.
+1

Chaosnyli

New

Post by Chaosnyli » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:47 am

jeisner wrote:
Chaosnyli wrote:Is it true they just tied in 3rd for Mass. Bar passage rate..their majority bar exam state?
The only law school in RI having a majority bar taking in Mass? Is this true??
According to statistics, correct.

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:36 am

Um, that guy who wrote the ripoff report sounds like he has a touch of Down... not sure what that says about all this, but yeah...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Chaosnyli

New

Post by Chaosnyli » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm

Roger Williams Law called me and offered me a Half-tuition Leadership scholarship plus books..
They have tied for 3rd best Bar passage rate in Mass..the state which most of their graduates take...
I have read the rip-off report..but that was a while ago... and this is a relatively young school...

Other schools i have been accepted to are..

New England
Western New England$
Touro $
Widener $

and Waiting for..ultimately my top three..

Albany
CUNY
Suffolk

Anybody have some useful information on RWU law school? Any current students?

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:56 am

neskerdoo wrote:Um, that guy who wrote the ripoff report sounds like he has a touch of Down... not sure what that says about all this, but yeah...

RW is a REGIONAL school. That guy wanted a job in DENVER, CO and refused to look hard. Not going to happen.

ac1317

New

Post by ac1317 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:33 am

Wait a minute, no one has asked the *literal* $100,000 question when it comes to these TTTs: what is the scholarship money contingent upon (ie. maintaining a certain GPA/class rank)? Not only is it notoriously difficult to know where you'll fall along the law school curve, but also some law schools place scholarship recipients in the same sections, thus putting them into competition with each other. It's not uncommon at all, at some schools, for students to lose these scholarships. At that point, well, you're stuck paying sticker price, and you can't transfer either since, again, you weren't ranked at the top.

You should look into and take seriously any requirements for keeping the $$. With the curved grading in law school, this isn't like undergrad where you could be reasonably certain of maintaining a certain GPA just by making an honest effort.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:40 am

lol ar rip-off report "It's like having AIDS being a Roger Williams grad outside of Rhode Island and even there I at least have hepatitus."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

apm5743

New

Post by apm5743 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:19 pm

My scholarship renewal is contingent upon staying in the top third of my class.......not a certain GPA, which seems reasonable.

apm5743

New

Post by apm5743 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:24 pm

veritas85 wrote:
jeisner wrote:Brown should buy out RWU law.
+1
+2

Yeah....How awesome would it be if I went to RWU and after 1L or so I was going to Brown...lol.

Chaosnyli

New

Post by Chaosnyli » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:29 am

They offered me Half Scholarship as long as i am in the top 50%.
I wish there was more information on this school..

ck80

New

Post by ck80 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:07 pm

I have a friend who is currently a 1L there, and in some ways wishes she had gone elsewhere. She was initially upset at having what seemed to be a very low gpa, however I had to point out to her that as a class rank it was in the top half.

You see, RWU uses an UNUSUALLY LOW curve for their first year students. This is because they are notorious for playing scholarship games, giving $$$ to attract for the first year, then grading to where the funds cannot be kept the subsequent year. Do some internet searching as to what their curve is... The student body there rates among the more cutthroat schools in part due to the competitive atmosphere they foster and the large number of students fighting to keep the scholarship funds - its like musical chairs on crack. It has difficulty in placement because RI does not have a large home legal market, and the Boston area firms prefer Boston students first...

1Ls with previous work experience before school, top 40% grades, and they cannot secure NON-PAID summer jobs right now, that says something to me, as even companies without a ton of work ought to be interested in taking someone on for free to do doc review or something.

The school is new, and in a wonderful area, but, it has the reputation it does for a reason...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

therealist

New

Post by therealist » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:57 pm

Do not attend either. Either improve your LSAT, or do not become a lawyer.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:07 pm

Chaosnyli wrote:Roger Williams Law called me and offered me a Half-tuition Leadership scholarship plus books..
They have tied for 3rd best Bar passage rate in Mass..the state which most of their graduates take...
I have read the rip-off report..but that was a while ago... and this is a relatively young school...

New England
Western New England$
Touro $
Widener $

Albany
CUNY
Suffolk

On that list.. Western New England.. if you intend to practice in the area and there is a good enough scholly (half or more).. Cost of living in West-mass is shit low and the school isn't terrible.. You're on your own for a job though..

Similar position on Albany, but limit your reach to albany and close-by upstate.

Bottom line, retaking LSAT is best. However, if you are dead set on attending, limit your debt and be prepared for an uphill battle with job placement. Also realize that the reach of these schools is about as narrow as one can imagine.. Western new england.. Think west mass, northern CT, Vermont and New Hampshire only... Albany.. Greater Albany and surrounding counties... Thats it..

best.

calizner

New

Post by calizner » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:32 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Chaosnyli wrote:Roger Williams Law called me and offered me a Half-tuition Leadership scholarship plus books..

New England
Western New England$
Touro $
Widener $

Albany
CUNY
Suffolk

On that list.. Western New England.. if you intend to practice in the area and there is a good enough scholly (half or more).. Cost of living in West-mass is shit low and the school isn't terrible.. You're on your own for a job though..

Similar position on Albany, but limit your reach to albany and close-by upstate.

Bottom line, retaking LSAT is best. However, if you are dead set on attending, limit your debt and be prepared for an uphill battle with job placement. Also realize that the reach of these schools is about as narrow as one can imagine.. Western new england.. Think west mass, northern CT, Vermont and New Hampshire only... Albany.. Greater Albany and surrounding counties... Thats it..

best.
I'm not sure how well a Western New England degree holds up even in Boston. I'd go with New England. It has a decent rep in the Boston area. Roger Williams, however, certaintly does not.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:31 pm

calizner wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

New England
Western New England$
Touro $
Widener $

Albany
CUNY
Suffolk

best.
I'm not sure how well a Western New England degree holds up even in Boston. I'd go with New England. It has a decent rep in the Boston area. Roger Williams, however, certaintly does not.
Possibly the worst advice i've seen all day.. New england has a HORRIBLE name no matter where you go.. It is well understood that New England is possibly the worst of all TTTs... The boston market is the most saturated in the country, save NY and CALI..

Western new england does not place well in Boston, but neither does RWU or New Endland... As I said, Western New England places well in WEST MASS, (NOT EAST MASS OR BOSTON) Northern CT and vermont... Thats about it.. But at least it places in those areas.. God help the poor kids at New England and RWU, both of which place nowhere..

Not to mention.. 38K tuition + 16K per year living expenses.. thats a total of 54K Per year as opposed to a sticker of 32 at Western... Great advice.. Tell someone to attend a school thats about 16K more expensive per year that places horribly everywhere as opposed to two other options that actually have some shot at providing a placement and are cheaper..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

calizner

New

Post by calizner » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:53 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
calizner wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

New England
Western New England$
Touro $
Widener $

Albany
CUNY
Suffolk

best.
Possibly the worst advice i've seen all day.. New england has a HORRIBLE name no matter where you go.. It is well understood that New England is possibly the worst of all TTTs... The boston market is the most saturated in the country, save NY and CALI..

Western new england does not place well in Boston, but neither does RWU or New Endland... As I said, Western New England places well in WEST MASS, (NOT EAST MASS OR BOSTON) Northern CT and vermont... Thats about it.. But at least it places in those areas.. God help the poor kids at New England and RWU, both of which place nowhere..

Not to mention.. 38K tuition + 16K per year living expenses.. thats a total of 54K Per year as opposed to a sticker of 32 at Western... Great advice.. Tell someone to attend a school thats about 16K more expensive per year that places horribly everywhere as opposed to two other options that actually have some shot at providing a placement and are cheaper..
Well isn't someone a little angry today. Just offering my 2 cents. Clearly you disagree. However, he doesn't have to take my advice, or yours for that matter. Just thought I'd offer what little perspective I have from working in the Boston market - perhaps you disagree, which is perfectly acceptable.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:02 pm

Telling someone to attend a school that costs 50k more because "it places better in boston," when its pretty clear that it doesn't place anywhere is irresponsible. Sorry, but stuff like that really bothers me. People actually put some stock in the responses on this board and advice like that just seems unfair.

The job prospects out of both schools are horrid.. Difference being, one will cost 50K more when all is said and done..

andythecandyman

New

Post by andythecandyman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:14 pm

I am saying this as a lifelong RI resident who could have had a full ride at RWU...do not go to RWU if you want to practice outside of RI

That includes Boston...unless you're maybe the top 5% at RWU, don't expect to get a job over an average student coming out of BU, BC, or even Northeastern or Suffolk. RWU doesn't have decent connections or a reputation outside of RI.

If, however, you plan on staying in RI, I would say RWU is a good option if you close to a full ride.

But a caution with the full ride: I know people at Roger Williams Law - it ranked in the top five, I believe, in the 2008 Princeton Review rankings for where students "work the hardest." That's not a mistake - it's because everyone is busting their asses to either get top 10% in order to get a future job, or to keep a scholarship - the grading is rough.

Hopefully this helps anyone looking at RWU.

PS: The campus is beautiful

Chaosnyli

New

Post by Chaosnyli » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:17 pm

Yea so ultimately,
Western NE, NE, Widener, and RWU are off the list... Touro probably as well..

screw em, just waiting for CUNY, Albany, and Suffolk..

Otherwise, retake.

Thanks for the education on RWU.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”