Roger Williams Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
apm5743

New

Roger Williams Law

Post by apm5743 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:29 pm

Does anyone go to RWU or have any information regarding the school. I have received a full-tuition merit scholarship to attend the school. I have narrowed down my options to spending 22k/yr. to attend University of the Pacific or 0k/yr. to attend RWU. Any info./recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

waker57

New

Re: Roger Williams Law

Post by waker57 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:32 pm

apm5743 wrote:Does anyone go to RWU or have any information regarding the school. I have received a full-tuition merit scholarship to attend the school. I have narrowed down my options to spending 22k/yr. to attend University of the Pacific or 0k/yr. to attend RWU. Any info./recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
Pacific, not even close to a question. Roger Williams is consistently considered one of the worst schools in the country. Pacific is T2. Yes it'll cost about 66k more, but that will definitely pay off in the long run, remember you're not just investing your money, but also 3 years of your life.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:38 pm

I was considering applying there and fishing for a big scholly, but after hearing what people said about the school I took a closer look. Check out their employment stats. They actually place an extremely large amount of people into "business and industry" which is a red flag and a half. People go to law school for 3 years only to have to go back to their old jobs? Yikes.

apm5743

New

Post by apm5743 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:43 pm

That is a good point. I have been doing a lot of research lately and some says go to the best law school possible, but others say if you do not get into a T20 law school, you should aim to keep the debt load as low as possible. The prospect of graduating w/ 50k in debt seems more appealing than graduating w/ 120k in debt. Pacific does have a better rep, but neither has a national rep from what I understand. I would be perfectly happy with a govt. job making 50k/yr., but am afraid that if I have 120k in debt, it might not be an option.

seb819

New

Post by seb819 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:47 pm

The only thing I want to add to this discussion is that Roger Williams is listed on RipoffReport.com

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apm5743

New

Post by apm5743 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:49 pm

The ABA data lists RWU as having 17.6% employed in business and industry as compared with UP McGeorge listed at 15.4%. This does not seem like a huge difference, but McGeorge did know the employment status of 100% of its graduates as opposed to 85.9% at RWU.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:52 pm

apm5743 wrote:That is a good point. I have been doing a lot of research lately and some says go to the best law school possible, but others say if you do not get into a T20 law school, you should aim to keep the debt load as low as possible. The prospect of graduating w/ 50k in debt seems more appealing than graduating w/ 120k in debt. Pacific does have a better rep, but neither has a national rep from what I understand. I would be perfectly happy with a govt. job making 50k/yr., but am afraid that if I have 120k in debt, it might not be an option.

I'm not a rankings whore and I think there are a lot of good t3 and t4 schools, but I am just cautioning you against this particular school. If you were asking about McGeorge vs. Suffolk or Ole Miss, I'd be telling you to go to the school you can get out of with the least debt in an area you would like to work in.

waker57

New

Post by waker57 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:53 pm

seb819 wrote:The only thing I want to add to this discussion is that Roger Williams is listed on RipoffReport.com
Even Cooley doesn't have that honor.

What's so shocking is it's not an unattached law school like most of the bottomfeeders out there, it's actually attached to what seems to be a pretty decent university.

apm5743

New

Post by apm5743 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:56 pm

I did see the posts on ripoffreport.com, but there are 2 posts and neither of the people really seemed to have been ripped off. Perhaps they were thinking they were going into BigLaw coming from a T4, but that is not my expectation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:56 pm

My bad. What I was talking about was the average starting salary. It was like twice the private practice salary (not quite but you get the point).

apm5743

New

Post by apm5743 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:05 pm

Maybe I am stubborn, but this guy is not convincing to me. He thinks 150 is a good LSAT and is trying to find work outside of the New England region with a degree from RWU. I do not expect to find employment outside of the RI,MA,CT area with a J.D. from RWU.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:06 pm

well then perhaps RWU is for you?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

apm5743

New

Post by apm5743 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:09 pm

Maybe so. There have been some posts bashing RWU, which is definitely a point of concern. However, it seems that most of these posts are at least a couple of years old and the bar passage/employment rates seem to be on the rise. I guess I should head up to Bristol and talk to some current students to get a good idea of whether or not I should attend. This is one of the most difficult decisions I have ever had to make.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:13 pm

apm5743 wrote:Maybe so. There have been some posts bashing RWU, which is definitely a point of concern. However, it seems that most of these posts are at least a couple of years old and the bar passage/employment rates seem to be on the rise. I guess I should head up to Bristol and talk to some current students to get a good idea of whether or not I should attend. This is one of the most difficult decisions I have ever had to make.

well... this is TLS, most people here won't even take another glance at RWU.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:17 pm

Their pamphlet made the area look nice...

jeisner

New

Post by jeisner » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:22 pm

I go to UG in Rhode Island (not at RWU). I've driven past the area. Very nice, literally right on the beach, about 15 mins. or so from Newport. RWU is the only law school in R.I., so they place relatively well within the state, yet probably significantly less the further you travel outside of R.I. Apparently they DO have a really good Marine Law program (if you're into that), where you do a dual JD and MA with the URI Marine Affairs dept.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

apm5743

New

Post by apm5743 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:25 pm

TYVM jeisner. Do you know any RWU grads, and if so, do they have decent jobs?

law_mama

New

Post by law_mama » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:28 pm

seb819 wrote:The only thing I want to add to this discussion is that Roger Williams is listed on RipoffReport.com
OMG :shock:

Funny ... and sad.

jeisner

New

Post by jeisner » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:33 pm

apm5743 wrote:TYVM jeisner. Do you know any RWU grads, and if so, do they have decent jobs?
I don't know any RWU grads. I took a Con Law course last year which was taught by a partner at a big firm in Providence (http://www.brownrudnick.com/), which also has offices in Boston, DC, etc. He was telling us that they (the Providence firm) recruit a lot in both Boston (and surprisingly) RWU. I'm assuming the individuals that they are recruiting are obviously top of their class (which I'd assume you should have no problem with if you got a full ride), so its definitely possible.

apm5743

New

Post by apm5743 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:56 pm

Thanks again jeisner. I just e-mailed an associate that works for Brown Rudnick (RWU class of 2008) to see if she could give me any advice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Chaosnyli

New

Post by Chaosnyli » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:37 pm

Is it true they just tied in 3rd for Mass. Bar passage rate..their majority bar exam state?

jeisner

New

Post by jeisner » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:40 pm

Chaosnyli wrote:Is it true they just tied in 3rd for Mass. Bar passage rate..their majority bar exam state?
The only law school in RI having a majority bar taking in Mass? Is this true??

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:45 pm

The area around RWU looks absolutely gorgeous, FWIW. At the beginning of the cycle I shot them a fee waiver request before researching the school. They turned me down, haha. Schools like Buffalo, Vermont, and Idaho all gave me them but RWU, with their significantly lower entry stats said nope.

Someperson

New

Post by Someperson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:46 pm

Rofl. One of the Rip-Off reports is from an alumni who won't even hire people from his own school because it's so bad.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”