Best Campus / Law Building?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
crystalhawkeye

Re: Best Campus / Law Building?

Postby crystalhawkeye » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:05 am

neskerdoo wrote:my god, who are the ghastly peasant-folk?

Looks like it was Halloween during this picture. Or Denver kids all wear capes and pirate outfits...

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:07 am

rainmaker614 wrote:That doesn't really have any relevance if you're getting a JD from Michigan. Your opportunities will still be stellar and the top firms in the state are still thriving. Michigan's economy, in general, is shit. However, this is because much of Michigan having many blue collared workers. All the top firms that I know of still make as much money as ever and even the smaller firms I spoke with are doing great. Shit, I even spoke to a bankruptcy lawyer that went to Cooley a while ago and is now making 200k a year doing BS bankruptcy cases because of the recession. Plus, since when does a Michigan JD limit you to Michigan?

There are a number of weirdly large law firms in Michigan now that regularly skim low end business from the big New York and Chicago firms. Because the state has been in the dumps for so long, they can get away with paying people a good bit less than market, and they use that to undercut the firms in super-pricey metro areas. And their people are still making twice in real terms what they would be in Manhattan, especially with the absurdly low price of decent real estate. Only about 20% of UM's class stays in the state anyway. But if you did for some strange reason want to settle here, there is more work than you would expect, and a lot of it damn well paying too. The professional sector of the economy is moving in the exact opposite direction of the blue collar / manufacturing sector, which has been sliding for decades and of course now is on the brink of death.

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:26 am

I forgot what an architecture whore I am when it comes to schools. Thanks, this thread, for dredging that up again.

Vermont:

--ImageRemoved--

Connecticut was mentioned, but has not gotten near enough play here. And what is with that bizarre stone crescent thing?

Globetrekker

Postby Globetrekker » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:28 am

EmmyD wrote:The undergraduate library is a giant clusterfuck.

But man have I sure had fun playing hide and seek in the stacks of the grad library.

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:33 am

cbarlet wrote:But man have I sure had fun playing hide and seek in the stacks of the grad library.

(not directed at you) Apparently another popular game played there also has a name that begins with the word "hide."

Globetrekker

Postby Globetrekker » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:36 am

crystalhawkeye wrote:
neskerdoo wrote:my god, who are the ghastly peasant-folk?

Looks like it was Halloween during this picture. Or Denver kids all wear capes and pirate outfits...

Just to set you at peace, I grew up about 20 minutes south of DU...and I didn't wear capes or pirate outfits, so I'd say this is right on.

What we actually wear are cowboy boots, hats, and the Western fringe vests---and the skyscrapers of Denver are actually silos and barns. My avatar should reiterate both of these assertions...really, though, we really do get people from "back East" who come "out west" (we find this degrading, as if we're all but a plain on the edge of the universe) who really expect more of a cow-town.

Denver rocks. And I'm starting to wonder why I didn't apply to CU being an in-stater...guess it's Boulder that gets to me, and a few of the folks there.

Globetrekker

Postby Globetrekker » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:37 am

snotrocket wrote:
cbarlet wrote:But man have I sure had fun playing hide and seek in the stacks of the grad library.

(not directed at you) Apparently another popular game played there also has a name that begins with the word "hide."

Heh, they do. Definitely learned not to try to get too creative while playing my more appropriate game, or it made for an awkward moment after you've dodged into some random dark corner.

thedogship

Postby thedogship » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:45 am

I'm not saying it's the nicest campus out there, but I think the GULC grounds are pretty nice, particularly the quad with the clock tower and the new Hotung building. And certainly having the Capitol in the background is nice. Anyway, here's some nice shots

--ImageRemoved--

Globetrekker

Postby Globetrekker » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:49 am

Georgetown's a nice campus, especially for being so urban. Regardless of my decision, I think Georgetown's always going to have a soft spot with me.

Globetrekker

Postby Globetrekker » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:50 am

snotrocket wrote:Connecticut was mentioned, but has not gotten near enough play here. And what is with that bizarre stone crescent thing?

UConn has earned some serious marks in my book recently---and this might bump it up on my list a bit more. Talk about an ambiance.

Cal4future

Postby Cal4future » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:51 am

Any pictures of Florida/Florida State/Miami?

bhut13

Postby bhut13 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 am

bhut13 wrote:More Hogwarts? UWash's library...

--ImageRemoved--

Ya, this is University of Washington, not Wash U SL

chris888777

Postby chris888777 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:12 am

Thanks for all the pictures, this thread is great. Although UCONN looks great in pictures and nice in person, its not all that great when you're actually there. The interior of almost all of the buildings need work. The neighborhood is not all that great as well.

mikek1323

Postby mikek1323 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:26 am

I don't have any pictures offhand I'm sure you can find some by looking at their websites, but I have seen 2 of the three Florida schools. The entire UM campus architecture is nothing that great in my opinion, it may be because I grew up in Florida and its style bores me, but I don't think its anything great. UF, I toured a year ago, back when I thought I may stay in Florida for law school and really was unimpressed with the building. It's just downright ugly inside and out-definitely the least favorite of the law schools I've toured. Sorry I had no pictures, I realize this might be pointless since its just my opinion-but I can't say UF stands anywhere near any of the pictures we've already seen.

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:36 am

DU does have a very pretty building. Maybe someone posted this already, but it's also LEED certified:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzZpk5DafrE

Not sure how impressive $55k in electric bill savings is for a building that size, but daylighting is way cool.

Stetson is hilarious. I knew they had a pool in the quad, but are those putting greens out front?

--ImageRemoved--

The law building at SCU is bizarre. It looks like a UFO landed in the middle of the campus.

http://university-operations.scu.edu/facilities/buildings-grounds/building-images/b/bannan-hall

Cal4future

Postby Cal4future » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:05 am

The law building at SCU is bizarre. It looks like a UFO landed in the middle of the campus.

Boo for law buildings built in the 70s....

Globetrekker

Postby Globetrekker » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:02 pm

Cal4future wrote:

Boo for law buildings built in the 70s....

I noticed this once before and didn't say anything but now that we brought it up again, the main law building at Santa Clara is Bergin Hall, not Bannan. Bannan only has one floor of overflow. Bergin is the main hall. It's not leagues better, but not as bad either.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:07 pm

This thread has been terribly depressing for me as I've realized that there is actually a chance (read: it is rather likely) that far more of my final decision will be based upon architecture, general appearance, and overall Hogwartsiness than I should ever care to admit. Embarrassing.

I think I'm head over heals in love with Michigan.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:36 am

snotrocket wrote:I forgot what an architecture whore I am when it comes to schools. Thanks, this thread, for dredging that up again.

Vermont:

--ImageRemoved--

Dang, Vermont is beautiful.

dbt

Postby dbt » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:39 am

There's just no comparison to Michigan (besides Yale):

--ImageRemoved--

azlawlady

Postby azlawlady » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:10 pm

^^^Wow! That's gorgeous!

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:17 pm

I think Michigan would be one of my top choices if it weren't in Michigan.

azlawlady

Postby azlawlady » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:05 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:I think Michigan would be one of my top choices if it weren't in Michigan.

Ha, exactly :?

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:03 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
snotrocket wrote:I forgot what an architecture whore I am when it comes to schools. Thanks, this thread, for dredging that up again.

Vermont:

--ImageRemoved--

Dang, Vermont is beautiful.

Beautiful, yes, but the inside is pretty lacking. I thought the college was beautiful too when I visited, but it's literally in the middle of nowhere-- the town has less than 2500 residents and there's nothing to do. Great environmental school, though.

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:10 pm

Cal4future wrote:--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
Quinnipiac Law

pretty impressive campus and law building. The name is really hard to say though :(

I never know if I should put the emphasis on the "n" or the "pi." For a T3 law school, that's beautiful.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”