Best Campus / Law Building?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Globetrekker

Re: Best Campus / Law Building?

Postby Globetrekker » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:54 pm

ColtonDLong wrote:Hmm...I'm not sure why you're so shocked it is ranked so high. Its probably the second (in name only I mean) recognized Big 10 school I feel like. Iowa City is consistently among the top 15 or so most livable and best towns in the US, and the culture and night life is good. For the record Iowa city is also the third most educated town in the nation (according to USNWR). I was disappointed when I visited only because I drove four hours for a 25 minute tour. U of Mn's and Wisonsin's were longer, but especially at minnesota they seemed VERY highfaluting and unjustifiably so. Don't get me wrong, I think they have a lot going for themselves, but the atmosphere and air about the place was really pompous to me. All of my friends, one is a current student of the school, agrees. Anyway, my goals wasn't to put down U of Mn...like I said I really did like the school.

Point being, it shouldn't surprise you that they're ranked higher than Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, or the other Big 10 schools aside from Mich. and Mn. I visited almost all of them but Ohio, and I have to say that as far as the classes I sat in on and the professors I met, atmosphere, and students I met, Iowa won.

After rereading this I realized I didn't clarify that I'm targeting a lot of the to CBarlet more about Iowa's college town and atmosphere, but it is true that educational quality at Iowa is well known for its reputability although they've lost a few noteable profs in the past couple of years to retirement, etc.

Thanks much. I always figured Wisconsin was better, after Michigan and Minnesota. My dad told me to apply to Iowa about a dozen times last fall and I didn't do it until he pretty much cornered me over Christmas when I was physically present to try to explain why I wasn't. Well, I couldn't really, and so I applied. I drove through Iowa along I-80, across the whole thing, and wasn't blown away but it wasn't as bad as Kansas and Nebraska at all. I guess my mind was just a little too entranced by the big-city, vibrant vibe of other places, and Iowa, well, it sounds anti-climactic. I've since really put things in perspective, and honestly don't think I'd mind it much. I'm still curious as to how they manage to place so many people outside of Iowa---and whether or not that's to mainly Chicago..I'd rather be in DC or MPLS---not NYC, LA, or Chicago.

Since the point of discussion is supposed to be on aesthetic glory, where does Iowa fit in?

irishlaw

Postby irishlaw » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:56 pm

old notre dame law building on south quad (starting this semester it will house an expanded law library and some administrative offices)

new law building concept art (sorry no pics yet, but i'll be sure to check it out when i get back on campus!)

other parts of notre dame's campus...

--ImageRemoved--
a snowy south quad

--ImageRemoved--
basilica of the sacred heart

--ImageRemoved--
basilica interior

--ImageRemoved--
the grotto

sorry if i got carried away, obviously i am in love with my school and will be sad to leave :)

LSATahhhh

Postby LSATahhhh » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:57 pm

cbarlet wrote:
ColtonDLong wrote:Hmm...I'm not sure why you're so shocked it is ranked so high. Its probably the second (in name only I mean) recognized Big 10 school I feel like. Iowa City is consistently among the top 15 or so most livable and best towns in the US, and the culture and night life is good. For the record Iowa city is also the third most educated town in the nation (according to USNWR). I was disappointed when I visited only because I drove four hours for a 25 minute tour. U of Mn's and Wisonsin's were longer, but especially at minnesota they seemed VERY highfaluting and unjustifiably so. Don't get me wrong, I think they have a lot going for themselves, but the atmosphere and air about the place was really pompous to me. All of my friends, one is a current student of the school, agrees. Anyway, my goals wasn't to put down U of Mn...like I said I really did like the school.

Point being, it shouldn't surprise you that they're ranked higher than Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, or the other Big 10 schools aside from Mich. and Mn. I visited almost all of them but Ohio, and I have to say that as far as the classes I sat in on and the professors I met, atmosphere, and students I met, Iowa won.

After rereading this I realized I didn't clarify that I'm targeting a lot of the to CBarlet more about Iowa's college town and atmosphere, but it is true that educational quality at Iowa is well known for its reputability although they've lost a few noteable profs in the past couple of years to retirement, etc.

Thanks much. I always figured Wisconsin was better, after Michigan and Minnesota. My dad told me to apply to Iowa about a dozen times last fall and I didn't do it until he pretty much cornered me over Christmas when I was physically present to try to explain why I wasn't. Well, I couldn't really, and so I applied. I drove through Iowa along I-80, across the whole thing, and wasn't blown away but it wasn't as bad as Kansas and Nebraska at all. I guess my mind was just a little too entranced by the big-city, vibrant vibe of other places, and Iowa, well, it sounds anti-climactic. I've since really put things in perspective, and honestly don't think I'd mind it much. I'm still curious as to how they manage to place so many people outside of Iowa---and whether or not that's to mainly Chicago..I'd rather be in DC or MPLS---not NYC, LA, or Chicago.

Since the point of discussion is supposed to be on aesthetic glory, where does Iowa fit in?

CBarlet, you seem to have applied to a lot of schools, why so many schools? Do you know where you want to end up?

muddywaters

Postby muddywaters » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:01 pm

Looks like we have a new ND troll!!! thanks for the pics!

ColtonDLong

Postby ColtonDLong » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:14 pm

cbarlet wrote:

MPLS is where I'm headed after LS too. I just had dinner with a regent from my UG who works in DC, Iowa law grad.

THey place so many because the market is only so big in Iowa and they have a rather large alumni network nationally since they've been in the top 30 longer. they also are known for turning out real good litigators and associates at firms in Chi and MPLS, and many firms know this nationally. That's just what I am told by my prelaw advisor. I don't think he has much bias since is a Duke man himself.

muddywaters

Postby muddywaters » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:33 am

Irish, my bad for the delete. My dog just jumped all over my laptop while I was going to try and edit my post...next thing I knew it was deleted.

You are right, you are not "trolling".

More like "loving". Beautiful pics.

irishlaw

Postby irishlaw » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:35 am

muddywaters wrote:Irish, my bad for the delete. My dog just jumped all over my laptop while I was going to try and edit my post...next thing I knew it was deleted.

You are right, you are not "trolling".

More like "loving". Beautiful pics.

No offense taken. Thanks :)

dbt

Postby dbt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:57 am

Notre Dame, Boston College (though the law school itself is lacking), UC-Boulder, Pepperdine.

Overall though, best law buildings:

--ImageRemoved--

Ugliest law building:

--ImageRemoved--

And a close second,

Archon D: terrorface

Postby Archon D: terrorface » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:00 am

Uhh.. what are the names of these schools?

dbt

Postby dbt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:04 am

Yale Law
Michigan Law
Princeton Lawl
Harvard Law
Chicago Law

lessthanclever03

Postby lessthanclever03 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:05 am

Archon D: terrorface wrote:Uhh.. what are the names of these schools?

No. We must keep posting bunches of pictures without any other information, lest people figure out what we're supporting.

bhut13

Postby bhut13 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:24 am

ya don't worry about posting the names of the buildings we've all already memorized what each law school's buildings look like.

smack4ud

Postby smack4ud » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:28 am

muddywaters wrote:ugh when hear "pepperdine", i cannot stop thinking about prop 8.

I know... +1 for Pepperdine.

dlm2100

Postby dlm2100 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:38 am

BU's law building looks like the Tower of Terror at Disneyland.

chitown825

Postby chitown825 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:48 am

pdennis1000 wrote:I think Marquette is pretty OK at basketball.

Do you own a television?

pdennis1000

Postby pdennis1000 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:03 am

chitown825 wrote:
pdennis1000 wrote:I think Marquette is pretty OK at basketball.

Do you own a television?

What? It's not like the Big East is a hard conference :?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:09 am

ColtonDLong wrote:
cbarlet wrote:
ColtonDLong wrote:
cbarlet wrote:My thoughts (from what I know, which definitely isn't all 100 of them)

North Carolina, Washington and Lee, Wake Forest, William and Mary, and Georgia seem to have really nice Southern-colonial traditional-feeling campuses.

UConn Law has a terrific nice Gothic-styled campus. I'd use Gothic Wonderland if Duke didn't already own the title.

Santa Clara has a really attractive campus, similar to style and feel to Stanford. Spanish-mission style. Nice vibe.

Wisconsin, Ohio State, Indiana, & Iowa are known for their vibrant towns thanks to their UG populations.

UW Madison and Iowa's are pretty awesome. Minneapolis is a great city, so UMN is up there, but their building itself is too 70s fabulous.

The more I read about UW Madison, the more I like it. Minneapolis is awesome, but the law school from my visit wasn't anything special...

Finally sent in an app to Iowa. It's a shock to me it's ranked so high, and I'd consider it. Don't know how I feel about Iowa in general...Colton, since you're the TLS poster child for Iowa in my mind, I'd love your thoughts.

Emmy, I totally agree on Michigan...I may be biased because of my UG stint there, and instantly fell in love with the campus (during orientation I found the law quad and joked with my friends that if anything would turn me off from getting an MBA and switching to law, it'd be that campus...turned out I'd rather by a lawyer anyway, but you can say it helped.) Problem? Ann Arbor is awesome, but Michigan as a whole is sort of turning into what my fellow wolverines tell me is the "giant abyss of America's recession," and the weather in Michigan leaves way too much to be desired. Tremendous campus, though.

EDITED to challenge anyone to find me a better law library than Michigan's...if there is one, I'd definitely like to see it.

Hmm...I'm not sure why you're so shocked it is ranked so high. Its probably the second (in name only I mean) recognized Big 10 school I feel like. Iowa City is consistently among the top 15 or so most livable and best towns in the US, and the culture and night life is good. For the record Iowa city is also the third most educated town in the nation (according to USNWR). I was disappointed when I visited only because I drove four hours for a 25 minute tour. U of Mn's and Wisonsin's were longer, but especially at minnesota they seemed VERY highfaluting and unjustifiably so. Don't get me wrong, I think they have a lot going for themselves, but the atmosphere and air about the place was really pompous to me. All of my friends, one is a current student of the school, agrees. Anyway, my goals wasn't to put down U of Mn...like I said I really did like the school.

I'm a UMN grad, and yes, the law students there do really seem to have a pompous attitude overall. I think for some it's because they REALLY wanted a higher ranked school and ended up there. Other than that, I really don't know why. Other students at the school don't really ahve the same attitude.

dbt

Postby dbt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:59 am

bhut13 wrote:ya don't worry about posting the names of the buildings we've all already memorized what each law school's buildings look like.

If you haven't memorized what the T14 look like, then I don't know what you're doing on this website.

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:16 pm

I hesitate when people post pictures of the main campus or associated city when talking about the beauty of a law school. It's pervasive. I was just sifting through my old senior-year stuff and found my Columbia Law brochure; they only once showed an actual exterior shot of the law building, and that too the shot was just a schematic.

CLS is ugly, but Columbia (in my opinion) is beautiful. The same with UChicago. The same (somewhat) with Georgetown. Harvard Law School is a mixed bag; the campus in general is just so large and there are pockets of ugliness. The same apples with HLS: There are pockets of beauty and shittiness. Examples of the former are Langdell Library and Austin Hall. Examples of the latter are Harkness Commons, Pound (I can't remember if the building was called that), and Hastings.

Michigan Law doesn't really have a terribly ugly building, though one of the exterior facades on the faculty building is questionable. The overall campus is decent.

singularity

Postby singularity » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:06 pm

I love Art Deco so I'm obviously a Southwestern Law fan. The Bullocks Wilshire building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. I wish it was a better law school.

Cal4future

Postby Cal4future » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:25 pm

USF
--ImageRemoved--
USD
Santa Clara

... Oh how I miss California.

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:27 pm

Hurray for giant Taco Bells!

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:28 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Taco Bell Law

dbt

Postby dbt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:31 pm

EmmyD wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Taco Bell Law

HAHAHA. I never really understood the appeal of Stanford-type architecture. To each his own I guess, but Taco Bell does copy it nicely.

Cal4future

Postby Cal4future » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:33 pm

Well Santa Clara was originally a Spanish Mission. I think it's pretty remarkable that they have stayed true to the style while still making modern facilities.

Plus, who doesn't like Taco Bell???!??

Return to “Choosing a Law School”