Anyone Applying to McGill Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Globetrekker

Anyone Applying to McGill Law?

Postby Globetrekker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:11 pm

Just curious as to whether anyone applied to McGill this year?

Definitely an off-beat option for international law, as it is such a mobile internationa degree. I figure most people don't really look at it much because the program is bilingual, with French being the requirement.

Anyone apply or better yet, attend there? It's definitely a serious choice for me. I'd love the international environment and the chance to keep up on my foreign languages.

LSATahhhh

Re: Anyone Applying to McGill Law?

Postby LSATahhhh » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:12 pm

cbarlet wrote:Just curious as to whether anyone applied to McGill this year?

Definitely an off-beat option for international law, as it is such a mobile internationa degree. I figure most people don't really look at it much because the program is bilingual, with French being the requirement.

Anyone apply or better yet, attend there? It's definitely a serious choice for me. I'd love the international environment and the chance to keep up on my foreign languages.

I applied and visited a week ago.

EDIT: I meant two weeks ago, before X'mas break, whenever that was.

Globetrekker

Postby Globetrekker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:20 pm

LSATahhhh wrote:

What did you think? Montreal is a gem.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:22 pm

Accio Pyke!

LSATahhhh

Postby LSATahhhh » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:23 pm

cbarlet wrote:
LSATahhhh wrote:

What did you think? Montreal is a gem.

It really is. I really like their atmosphere, very relaxed and friendly. I am not sure what they are looking for exactly though. What are your numbers and when did you apply?

Globetrekker

Postby Globetrekker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:38 pm

---
Last edited by Globetrekker on Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zach_N

Postby Zach_N » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:26 pm

Globetrekker

Postby Globetrekker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:27 pm

Zach_N wrote:you might try looking on this forum

http://www.lawstudents.ca/forums/viewfo ... &sk=t&sd=d

Nice resource; thanks much.

Zach_N

Postby Zach_N » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:35 pm

np... mcgill is an awesome school, good luck getting in. I think you have a pretty good shot based on your GPA and french studying experience.

Globetrekker

Postby Globetrekker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:47 pm

Zach_N wrote:np... mcgill is an awesome school, good luck getting in. I think you have a pretty good shot based on your GPA and french studying experience.

Thanks, awesome to hear and keeping my fingers crossed. Tout soldat a dans son sac son batôn de maréchal...

Zach_N

Postby Zach_N » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:02 pm

Oui, c'est vrai. Avez-vous considéré l'Université d'Ottawa?

They have a bilingual law school there as well. It could be a potential backup.

gntsf12

Postby gntsf12 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:05 pm

Montreal is my favorite place in the world and Mcgill is a cool campus

Globetrekker

Postby Globetrekker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:18 pm

Ç’est vrai? Je ne savais pas ça…vachement bonne idée. Peut-ètre je tâche de faire une application sur-le-champ.

Et puis, on attend...sigh. Mais, tout vient à point à qui sait attendre. :)

Ottawa a nice place? Never been myself; and how’s the school regarded up there?

Globetrekker

Postby Globetrekker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:19 pm

Zach_N wrote:Oui, c'est vrai. Avez-vous considéré l'Université d'Ottawa?

And where are you thinking to go yourself?

dbt

Postby dbt » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:22 pm

McGill is such a great school. I love how it overlooks Montreal and you walk down the hill right into the city. Good luck to those applying!

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:47 am

Don't know much about the school, but Montreal is awesome and their mass transit system is absolutely fantastic!

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:45 am

McGill is beautiful. My grandparents went there before the French movement when all the English Quebecers left for Toronto.

My Grandma actually knew William Shatner a little. He was head of the student Jewish committee (or whatever it was called) and she was head of the student Catholic committee. She says that he was "a nice Jewish boy."

This doesn't really have much to do with anything, I just like telling people that story.

Zach_N

Postby Zach_N » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:05 pm

cbarlet wrote:
Zach_N wrote:Oui, c'est vrai. Avez-vous considéré l'Université d'Ottawa?

And where are you thinking to go yourself?

PM'd you

Marmot

Postby Marmot » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:27 pm

McGill Law is top notch, US firms recruit from it, and I happen to know that the students there are great too. I went to McGill for UG, and I'd definitely consider going there for an L.L.M. or PhD if I end up going the academic route. The only reason I haven't applied for law school was my undergrad GPA - I'm a huge split, and after a few years out of school not really able to come up with a stellar prof recommendation.

Montreal is perhaps the most fun city I've ever lived in (which is why I had GPA issues). Whatever you like, it's there. Just get ready to deal with an extremely cold winter, and look forward to building your calf muscles walking uphill to the law building.

As far as the French requirement, I'm told it's fairly lenient. If you are able to have a basic telephone conversation with someone in French, you should be okay.

Zach_N

Postby Zach_N » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 am

Marmot wrote:McGill Law is top notch, US firms recruit from it, and I happen to know that the students there are great too. I went to McGill for UG, and I'd definitely consider going there for an L.L.M. or PhD if I end up going the academic route. The only reason I haven't applied for law school was my undergrad GPA - I'm a huge split, and after a few years out of school not really able to come up with a stellar prof recommendation.

Montreal is perhaps the most fun city I've ever lived in (which is why I had GPA issues). Whatever you like, it's there. Just get ready to deal with an extremely cold winter, and look forward to building your calf muscles walking uphill to the law building.

As far as the French requirement, I'm told it's fairly lenient. If you are able to have a basic telephone conversation with someone in French, you should be okay.

Have you heard about the French requirement from students currently enrolled? I heard that there is a significant amount of French reading.

Marmot

Postby Marmot » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:29 pm

Zach_N wrote:Have you heard about the French requirement from students currently enrolled? I heard that there is a significant amount of French reading.

Yes, I've heard same. I should have stipulated that I was talking about admission, and also thrown in the caveat that all the past and current McGill Law students I know were also McGill undergrads who benefited from living in a bilingual city for 3 or 4 years previously. Still, I've been told it's very doable for Anglophones who are able to brush up with either a language enrichment course or some practice. A couple people I know currently in school there had a level of French knowledge upon entry that could charitably be described as "minimal."

Shadyb

Postby Shadyb » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:48 am

http://www.lawstudents.ca/forums/

I'm a 1L at UWO (coming back to the states next year I think...) If you want to talk about McGill or other Canadian schools, this is basically the Canadian equivalent of TLS.

random248

Postby random248 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:28 am

Marmot wrote:
Zach_N wrote:Have you heard about the French requirement from students currently enrolled? I heard that there is a significant amount of French reading.

Yes, I've heard same. I should have stipulated that I was talking about admission, and also thrown in the caveat that all the past and current McGill Law students I know were also McGill undergrads who benefited from living in a bilingual city for 3 or 4 years previously. Still, I've been told it's very doable for Anglophones who are able to brush up with either a language enrichment course or some practice. A couple people I know currently in school there had a level of French knowledge upon entry that could charitably be described as "minimal."

I've pretty much heard the same, though I know a few current McGill law students who have decent French skills but had always lived/gone to school in English-speaking places, and they've said that the bilingual requirement has added a lot of stress. However, If you're honest about your French (and not just the admissions standard for French), it's probably nothing you can't handle.

I don't know much about Ottawa's bilingual law program, but I really like the city! It's no Montreal, but definitely has its charm. I don't think that Ottawa has the international reputation that McGill has (including U.S. recruiting strength), but it's a good school up north. I remember it having some pretty cool international law-type courses/opportunities as well.

Haribo

Postby Haribo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:27 am

Zach_N wrote:
Marmot wrote:McGill Law is top notch, US firms recruit from it, and I happen to know that the students there are great too. I went to McGill for UG, and I'd definitely consider going there for an L.L.M. or PhD if I end up going the academic route. The only reason I haven't applied for law school was my undergrad GPA - I'm a huge split, and after a few years out of school not really able to come up with a stellar prof recommendation.

Have you heard about the French requirement from students currently enrolled? I heard that there is a significant amount of French reading.

I looked into applying (my French is non-existent, but I'll be spending the summer studying it + am dating a Quebecois.) It sounded to me like there is a lot of French reading, but there are also "unofficial" English translations available, and it's possible to have success without actual fluency.

I didn't apply because I'd have failed the phone call, so no Montreal for me, alas! At least not yet :P

Zach_N

Postby Zach_N » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:02 pm

random248 wrote:
Marmot wrote:

I've pretty much heard the same, though I know a few current McGill law students who have decent French skills but had always lived/gone to school in English-speaking places, and they've said that the bilingual requirement has added a lot of stress. However, If you're honest about your French (and not just the admissions standard for French), it's probably nothing you can't handle.

I don't know much about Ottawa's bilingual law program, but I really like the city! It's no Montreal, but definitely has its charm. I don't think that Ottawa has the international reputation that McGill has (including U.S. recruiting strength), but it's a good school up north. I remember it having some pretty cool international law-type courses/opportunities as well.

I agree that Ottawa doesn't have the same reputation as McGill for practicing in the United States and abroad. That being said, it does have other strengths, especially for students interested in working for the Canadian government. It is a potential back-up if the OP wants to keep studying in both French and English.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”