UC Hastings VS UC Davis

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jcl2

Re: UC Hastings VS UC Davis

Postby jcl2 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:04 pm

I think its funny how so many of you on here perceive Davis to be a small "cow" town. Have you never been to the 90% of the western US that is actually rural. Davis has a population of 60,000 plus (definitely a city not a town), has a great college town feel, is 15 minutes from Sacramento, 45 minutes from the bay area, an hour from the mountains, and 2 hours from the ocean; there is plenty to do. It is certainly not a hick town, in fact it is quite liberal.

From everything that I have heard the schools are regarded similarly. Given Davis' location and quality of life I would choose Davis unless you are really looking for that true urban living experience, which I am not so I am a little biased.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:53 pm

jcl2 wrote:I think its funny how so many of you on here perceive Davis to be a small "cow" town. Have you never been to the 90% of the western US that is actually rural. Davis has a population of 60,000 plus (definitely a city not a town), has a great college town feel, is 15 minutes from Sacramento, 45 minutes from the bay area, an hour from the mountains, and 2 hours from the ocean; there is plenty to do. It is certainly not a hick town, in fact it is quite liberal.

From everything that I have heard the schools are regarded similarly. Given Davis' location and quality of life I would choose Davis unless you are really looking for that true urban living experience, which I am not so I am a little biased.

People do not realize that 1.5 million people live in the Sac Metro Area. It is one of the 40 largest cities in the US, and yet, no love. And it's by FAR the best of any inland CA city.

CWF V

Postby CWF V » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:58 pm

I've gotta be honest. I grew up in NorCal and went to undergrad at Davis. The whole time I was there I never went into Sac and dogged it all the time. Then I met my wife, a Sac native, and she started showing me around the place: Land Park, Tower Theater for french toast, Naked Lounge coffee house, Zelda's pizza... it's an awesome city.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:04 pm

CWF V wrote:I've gotta be honest. I grew up in NorCal and went to undergrad at Davis. The whole time I was there I never went into Sac and dogged it all the time. Then I met my wife, a Sac native, and she started showing me around the place: Land Park, Tower Theater for french toast, Naked Lounge coffee house, Zelda's pizza... it's an awesome city.

Vic's. Ice. Cream.

CWF V

Postby CWF V » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:08 pm

For sure. I lived on 7th, about 6 houses down and around the corner from Vic's. Their eggnog is unbeatable. Oh, and now that I'm a Sac food kick, how about La Favorita on Florin? And Freeport Bakery??

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:16 pm

I'd much much rather be at Hastings. Location and job prospects.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:17 pm

CWF V wrote:For sure. I lived on 7th, about 6 houses down and around the corner from Vic's. Their eggnog is unbeatable. Oh, and now that I'm a Sac food kick, how about La Favorita on Florin? And Freeport Bakery??

I worked at Vic's for about 3 years in HS/college. Oh the stories that could be told...

CWF V

Postby CWF V » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:21 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:I worked at Vic's for about 3 years in HS/college. Oh the stories that could be told...

If any of them have to do with eggnog I don't want to know :mrgreen:

Calikat

Postby Calikat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:25 pm

Ancedotal evidence I know, but...

I am summering at a "biglaw" firm based in the Bay Area (i.e. pays on the 160K scale). Of the app. 40 summers, 9 are going to be from UC Hastings and only 1 is going to be from UC Davis. Most of the other summers are from UC Berkeley, Penn, NYU, Stanford, Columbia, GULC, GWU, etc. I think there is also 1 guy/girl from Santa Clara in the mix as well.

Just FYI to those looking at choosing UC Davis over UC Hastings.

stevededalus

Postby stevededalus » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:59 pm

CWF V wrote:For sure. I lived on 7th, about 6 houses down and around the corner from Vic's. Their eggnog is unbeatable. Oh, and now that I'm a Sac food kick, how about La Favorita on Florin? And Freeport Bakery??

You guys are making me homesick for Sacramento already. And I haven't even left yet. I find most people who dismiss Sacramento have never lived here. It's not for everyone, but it's a comfortable city with enough decent restaurants, coffee shops and cozy neighborhoods to enjoy. Personally, I enjoy it more than living in Davis, but I'm a little older and the collegetown experience there gets old (for instance, the restaurant selection in Sacramento is far better).

FWIW, I think Davis and Hastings are on par with one another, but an advantage to Hastings is that you have more opportunities to network with people in San Francisco. If you want to end up in San Francisco, it seems like you could parlay externships and other school-year opportunities into jobs more easily, just as I've heard Davis students do for state government jobs in Sacramento. But from what I've heard, employment outcomes at Davis and Hastings are comparable on the whole, and this chart seems to bear that out: http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/regional_CA.pdf

CWF V

Postby CWF V » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:08 pm

Calikat, good example, but we need to keep in mind that percentages are more appropriate. Not only do slightly more Hastings students go into BigLaw, but there are more Hastings students than Davis students as a whole.

leron

Postby leron » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:13 pm

CWF V wrote:Calikat, good example, but we need to keep in mind that percentages are more appropriate. Not only do slightly more Hastings students go into BigLaw, but there are more Hastings students than Davis students as a whole.

... but not 9 times as many.

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:22 pm

Davis > Hastings because of this guy:
--ImageRemoved--
J.T. O'Sullivan, the next best San Francisco QB

CWF V

Postby CWF V » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:38 pm

Yep, he was our QB when I was at UCD. He's a badass (and hopefully not eternally tainted from the curse of the Detroit Lions).

Calikat

Postby Calikat » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:08 am

Calikat, good example, but we need to keep in mind that percentages are more appropriate. Not only do slightly more Hastings students go into BigLaw, but there are more Hastings students than Davis students as a whole.

I understand that math is not really a required skill in law school, but I fear for you in the remedies portion of Ks.

GOB

Postby GOB » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:52 am

I made a post about Davis about a month ago, and in a few of the posts I addressed the Davis v. Hastings debate. I don't want to leave a long post, so I'll try to lay off the ranting and just address some of the posts that have been left on this thread.

First of all, when comparing Davis to Hastings, anyone who calls Davis's campus ugly clearly hasn't visited one of the two schools. I won't rag on Hastings, other than to point out that it's just a building and that it's located in the Tenderloin. Compare that to Davis's law school, which is located right next an arboretum (http://arboretum.ucdavis.edu/).

Action Jackson wrote:Hastings is solidly ranked higher than Davis, too. Hastings used to be in the top 25, wasn't it?
This year Hastings is ranked higher, but when I applied it was the other way around. In fact, based on what I've seen Davis has usually been ranked higher since the rankings started, and both Davis and Hastings have been in the top 25 at some point (http://daviswiki.org/School_of_Law?acti ... stings.JPG I don't know where the graph originally came from, but I've checked some of the numbers and they've all been accurate, feel free to do the same).

Frankly, though, it really doesn't matter. The rankings for the two schools are so close that it doesn't make much of a difference. The job opportunities coming out of both of them will be about the same; Davis will probably offer more in the Sac area and more in PI/PS sectors whereas Hastings will probably have more in the SF bay area and more in the private sector, but again, the differences will only be slight.

Since the schools are comparable, you really should go to whichever school "fits" you better. Check out both campuses, sit in on a class at both, talk to students, etc, before you make a decision.

joobacca

Postby joobacca » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:07 am

Mosca wrote:Davis > Hastings because of this guy:
--ImageRemoved--
J.T. O'Sullivan, the next best San Francisco QB

OSULLIVAN SUCKS GODDAMNIT HE SUCKS HOW MANY TIMES CAN ONE MAN THROW AN INTERCEPTION IN THE GODDAMN REDZONE

"JUST TURNOVERS" O SULLIVAN

GOB

Postby GOB » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:12 am

There's something I forgot to mention too...

Sacramento is the seat of the state government, and the Eastern District of CA for Fed courts. Davis and McGeorge are the only schools in the area, and most students from SF schools don't want to make the hour trek up to Sac. That gives Davis relatively good access to prestigious positions in Sac. For example, I know of a few 1Ls who are working for the AG's office, the US Attorney's office, and the Federal District court.

Compare this to what Hastings students go through in SF. For almost every prestigious position, Hastings students will regularly be competing with Stanford, Boalt, SCU, USF and a lot of Davis students since SF is where a lot of them want to work. How easy do you think it is for them to get interesting summer positions with that kind of competition?

CWF V

Postby CWF V » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:53 am

GOB, Great advice and love the avatar. I'm going to resurrect your Davis thread so I can keep peppering you with questions :)

GOB

Postby GOB » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:22 pm

CWF V wrote:GOB, Great advice and love the avatar. I'm going to resurrect your Davis thread so I can keep peppering you with questions :)
:) happy to help

leron

Postby leron » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:26 pm

GOB, can you be seen riding your Segway around campus?

GOB

Postby GOB » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:28 pm

Of course! Like a guy in $3,000 suit is gonna walk, ever... COME ON!!

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:45 pm

seriously,when did all these people see mobile home classrooms? and saying many of the classrooms are mobile homes is just ignorant. it's so not true, hasn't been true.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:52 pm

bizzlemywizzle wrote:
GOB wrote:
First of all, when comparing Davis to Hastings, anyone who calls Davis's campus ugly clearly hasn't visited one of the two schools. I won't rag on Hastings, other than to point out that it's just a building and that it's located in the Tenderloin. Compare that to Davis's law school, which is located right next an arboretum (http://arboretum.ucdavis.edu/).

I've visited both. When I got into Davis for undergrad I visited and I used to work in the Tenderloin. Hastings is pretty ugly, but Davis has it beat in fugliness because it is literally in the middle of nowhere, the entire campus is just flat land (it looks like a farm...hell, Davis is famous for agriculture), and many of the classrooms are trailers (mobile homes). Sure, Hastings might be ugly, but at least it is in San Francisco.

I have to second this. For me, a cardboard box in SF > a lush, well appointed campus surrounded by farmland. But then I have a driving impairment, so I would not want to live anywhere without a comprehensive transit system. Hastings is not beautiful, but is steps away from said transit system.

GOB

Postby GOB » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:20 am

bizzlemywizzle wrote:
deadatheist wrote:seriously,when did all these people see mobile home classrooms? and saying many of the classrooms are mobile homes is just ignorant. it's so not true, hasn't been true.

I saw them in 2004, when I visited the campus prior to undergrad. There were a lot of mobile homes. Even ignoring the mobile homes, the campus is kind of fugly.
In the 5 years that I've taken classes at UCD, I have never taken, nor have I heard of anyone ever taking a class in a mobile home.

OperaSoprano wrote:I have to second this. For me, a cardboard box in SF > a lush, well appointed campus surrounded by farmland.
I'm okay with that, so long as you admit that it is a comparison between a cardboard box in SF and a lush campus.
OperaSoprano wrote:But then I have a driving impairment, so I would not want to live anywhere without a comprehensive transit system. Hastings is not beautiful, but is steps away from said transit system.
I guess it depends on how you define "transit system." Unitrans services the whole city, and I use it to get to school everyday. Plus, the city is incredibly bike-friendly, so cars motorized transport isn't really needed anyway. If, for whatever reason, you do need a car, you'll probably know someone who has one. I give Windlashz (he's posted on my Davis 1L thread) rides all the time.

I'll say what I said earlier... check out both campuses, then choose for yourself. For a lot of people it's a no-brianer... one way or the other.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”