UC Hastings VS UC Davis

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ilovesf

Re: UC Hastings VS UC Davis

Postby ilovesf » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:45 pm

LawLucy wrote:Just in SF in September. the shopping is amazing. shop, shop, shop...drink, drink, drink.

you forgot about eat, eat, eat... SF has the best food! I am dying without my favorite dim sum place.

edit: i messed up the quote.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:27 pm

SoftBroLife, you are a mere Bro, I am a Man

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:34 pm

Hastings:

Strengths:
1. in SF and literally next to various court systems, with potentially thousands of year-round private and public sector jobs/internships available nearby (i.e. with minimal commuting)
2. OCI advantage, given convenient location for firms and other employers (but sheer numbers might not mean anything of course)
3. large, diverse student body with a ton of clubs and events happening on and around campus often (i.e. bound to meet like-minded students/faculty)
4. relatively strong name recognition in the legal world thanks to long history
5. new dean should do well to invigorate school
6. campus housing available in the Tower
7. instant access to public interest law opportunities (for free) thanks to Tenderloin location

Weaknesses:
1. large student body, impersonal atmosphere
2. commuter school feel
3. isolated (i.e. not a real campus, just a few buildings)
4. Tenderloin location
5. admin apparently hasn't stepped up yet to deal with long-term rankings slide

Davis:

Strengths:
1. cool, small school atmosphere on a dynamic large university campus
2. peaceful college town living (or at least schooling, if you don't live in Davis)
3. impossible to avoid connecting/interacting with fellow students and faculty
4. admin has done a fantastic job raising school's rank of late
5. relatively new dean has done well to invigorate school
6. admin seems to be very tight knit (i.e much harder for "deadwood" faculty to hide)

Weaknesses:
1. see Strengths 1-3
2. low name recognition because it's relatively young
3. summer heat
4. SF Bay Area opportunities much less convenient than Sac

Postby 20160810 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:03 am

drdolittle wrote:Hastings:

Strengths:
1. in SF and literally next to various court systems, with potentially thousands of year-round private and public sector jobs/internships available nearby (i.e. with minimal commuting)
2. OCI advantage, given convenient location for firms and other employers (but sheer numbers might not mean anything of course)
3. large, diverse student body with a ton of clubs and events happening on and around campus often (i.e. bound to meet like-minded students/faculty)
7. instant access to public interest law opportunities (for free) thanks to Tenderloin location

Weaknesses:
2. commuter school feel
4. Tenderloin location

Davis:

Strengths:
2. peaceful college town living (or at least schooling, if you don't live in Davis)
6. admin seems to be very tight knit (i.e much harder for "deadwood" faculty to hide)

Weaknesses:
1. see Strengths 1-3
3. summer heat

ORLY?

LawLucy

Postby LawLucy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:12 am

[/quote]you forgot about eat, eat, eat... SF has the best food! I am dying without my favorite dim sum place.[/quote]

Love Paella?
you have GOT to go to B44.
downtown between Bush & Pine streets. an alley with 'twinkly lights' and over 10 variations of Paella.
I drank WAYYY too much Rioja at the bar and had one of the owners of Penfolds from Australia ('older guy' sitting at the bar-still have his business card-and yes, you could SMELL his money) hitting up on me. Amazing service, food and wine
you never know who you will bump into in SF or LA

LawLucy

Postby LawLucy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:14 am

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
2. commuter school feel
4. Tenderloin location

Davis:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
1. see Strengths 1-3
3. summer heat

I LOVE this list. thank you!

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:14 am

SBL wrote:ORLY?

Yeah. Thought I'd add my two cents, since this debate always seems to get derailed into a useless pissing contest.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:53 am

drdolittle wrote:

Yeah. Thought I'd add my two cents, since this debate always seems to get derailed into a useless pissing contest.

Early results seem to show that while Hastings had more firms attend OCI, Davis students fared better at actually getting offers. There is one top 10 (overall) Hastings student that struck out at OCI altogether, and I don't know of anyone outside of top 20% that got anything through OCI (although I am sure some exist, none have come forward on TLS).

My personal impression was that many out of area firms were just looking for a SF weekend vacay in coming to Hastings OCI, because it seems like many of them hired no one.

LawLucy

Postby LawLucy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:25 am

General Tso wrote:
drdolittle wrote:

Early results seem to show that while Hastings had more firms attend OCI, Davis students fared better at actually getting offers. There is one top 10 (overall) Hastings student that struck out at OCI altogether, and I don't know of anyone outside of top 20% that got anything through OCI (although I am sure some exist, none have come forward on TLS).

My personal impression was that many out of area firms were just looking for a SF weekend vacay in coming to Hastings OCI, because it seems like many of them hired no one.

wtf.
why does this not surprise me?

Xnegd

Postby Xnegd » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:54 am

Borhas wrote:nah you'd probably just whine about it on the internet while actually acting like a passive aggressive wimp in 3D world

+1

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:30 am

Weaknesses:

4. Tenderloin location

Am I the only one who doesn't hate the TL? I actually even like it.

LawLucy

Postby LawLucy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:45 am

ilovesf wrote:
Weaknesses:

4. Tenderloin location

+1
likey beotch

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:27 pm

LawLucy wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Weaknesses:

4. Tenderloin location

+1
likey beotch

I actually don't think the TL's that bad either, with BART, city hall, the courts, downtown, etc. so nearby. I listed it because it does come up in this debate often, and people usually view it as a negative. For me, the TL being so close to potential jobs is a huge positive.

danicalifornia

Postby danicalifornia » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:09 pm

hmm, it's going to be interesting to see how both end up doing this year...

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:40 pm

Yeah definitely!

danicalifornia

Postby danicalifornia » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:04 pm

dearest hastings,

please don't keep falling the rankings. love, potential new students. :)

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:06 pm

danicalifornia wrote:dearest hastings,

Even if it loses 3 ranks, it's still a solid, local school and people will still hire out of UCH. UC Davis jumped like 14 ranks in one year and it did not dramatically help its OCI AFAIK.

Let's rephrase it: If tomorrow, Harvard dropped to 10th, it would still be recruited from like it is now. Not to compare UCH to Harvard by any stretch of the imagination, but the same idea holds. So don't worry about a couple of ranking slips.

danicalifornia

Postby danicalifornia » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:13 pm

very true, but i feel like a continual downward trend in rankings will impact the people who apply, and it will be a long cycle that will ultimately impact where hastings students place after graduation. BUT i am remaining optimistic, and excited about ASW for hastings. I am still trying to figure out if they pay for any of it... Any idea?
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:dearest hastings,

Even if it loses 3 ranks, it's still a solid, local school and people will still hire out of UCH. UC Davis jumped like 14 ranks in one year and it did not dramatically help its OCI AFAIK.

Let's rephrase it: If tomorrow, Harvard dropped to 10th, it would still be recruited from like it is now. Not to compare UCH to Harvard by any stretch of the imagination, but the same idea holds. So don't worry about a couple of ranking slips.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:08 pm

USNWR is total and utter bullshit. Hastings is tied with USC in reputation among lawyers and judges.

I hope that Hastings claims 99% employed at graduation this year. Guess Davis will respond by claiming 105% (top students will report multiple 160k jobs).

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:19 pm

General Tso wrote:USNWR is total and utter bullshit. Hastings is tied with USC in reputation among lawyers and judges.

I hope that Hastings claims 99% employed at graduation this year. Guess Davis will respond by claiming 105% (top students will report multiple 160k jobs).

LOL. This makes me feel good about my decision... especially when my parents are questioning my rationality for it.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:13 am

General Tso wrote:USNWR is total and utter bullshit. Hastings is tied with USC in reputation among lawyers and judges.

Oh pipe down. Everyone knows there's no real difference between the two schools.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:12 pm

SBL wrote:

Oh pipe down. Everyone knows there's no real difference between the two schools.

http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 0&g=2&pp=5 ?

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
SBL wrote:

Soooo, Hastings>Yale?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:25 pm

SBL wrote:

ehhh it's valuable to point it out, since many 0L's in fact don't know

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:41 pm

JakeL wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
SBL wrote:

Soooo, Hastings>Yale?

In the bay area, probably? /shrug.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”